Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Current Size (dimensions) of Suzail

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Didgy Posted - 17 Jun 2019 : 23:31:35
Hello all. I'm hoping someone might have seen a map with a scale on it for the city of Suzail. I've scoured all the lore I have, but don't have a good gauge on the mileage involved in the city. If anyone's seen it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 22 Jun 2019 : 16:43:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of the maps of Realms cities are just plain too small. Even major cities are oft shown as being less than a mile across, and there are never enough buildings... The 4E map of Loudwater, for example, shows about 50 buildings -- for a population of 2000 people. That's 40 people per building!

As I indicated in my first reply, mapping did not in general appear to consider the common people.

40 people per building would be hard unless they are large buildings. The would tend to be 8 to 12 families in each building (Not all families are five in number).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jun 2019 : 03:00:39
A lot of the maps of Realms cities are just plain too small. Even major cities are oft shown as being less than a mile across, and there are never enough buildings... The 4E map of Loudwater, for example, shows about 50 buildings -- for a population of 2000 people. That's 40 people per building!
Ayrik Posted - 21 Jun 2019 : 22:14:29
The city seems bigger than 1 mile across when you look at the maps. (And note "scale in feet" is indicated on the third map.)
And it apparently has a garrison of over 2000 troops. That's a lot of soldiers, a lot of shops and services for soldiers, a lot of food constantly coming in, a lot of waste constantly going out (to the harbour or to the farmlands).

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/Strongfist1/images/Su.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/a6/95/90a6957a7da3a032a38137df4c9c84ba.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2224/2366485012_b21dfeeebd_b.jpg
Kentinal Posted - 21 Jun 2019 : 19:41:34
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

I guess I just expected Suzail to be a larger city than it is.

Considering the population listed, it would be nicer to be larger. All I was doing was indicating such a dense population was possible.

Sometimes people do crowd together for safety.

Now if sources describing the city state to indicate large open spaces/government buildings or that no building is more then one story tall the land size becomes almost impossible for the population listed. Living space could be smaller, however not by much.
Renin Posted - 21 Jun 2019 : 17:41:04
I guess I just expected Suzail to be a larger city than it is.
ElfBane Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 22:51:38
quote:

Hmm. Those dimensions are all under a mile. Mind you, I don't have a map to look at, but that seems small!

The map I used is K.W. Fonstad's "The Forgotten Realms Atlas". Be aware that those dimensions are of the walled city. There may be more areas to live around the city,,, and still be considered citizen of Suzail. Also, as in Europe today, it is not unusual to live above your business.
Kentinal Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 21:06:23
quote:

Hmm. Those dimensions are all under a mile. Mind you, I don't have a map to look at, but that seems small!

It is small, however could have a population of well over 10,000 people.

I did a few calculations. A family home could be as small as 6 square feet. The dimensions of a square mile is 27,878,400 square feet, room for 46,464 families.

Of course it is not that simple, you need space for business, roads and government building. That however can be addressed in a few ways. Build two story buildings and you can have a business or two families on the same square feet. Also of course not all homes need to be 600 square foot, some could be smaller. The streets could be as narrow as five foot, at least many of them so not taking much space. If you even cut the family number in half you are still looking at over 100,000 people (Families did average five people) and you still have space for government, churches or temples and so on.

Yes it would be dense population, building three stories or more can also help hold that number of people.

There of course is another factor, WotC and TSR often overlooked the minor details of the common people as far as mapping goes. I suspect most city maps never worried about having enough homes for the calculated population. It however should be recognized that at times cities do have very dense populations and sometimes the population count also includes those outside the defined border of a city map line as well.
Renin Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 17:51:36
Didgy Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 02:10:07
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Suzail dimensions;

1. West to East (Trading Yards Tower to Market Hall Tower) ~4800Ft.
2. SW to NE (Field Gates to East Gate) ~5000Ft.
3. NW to SE (Horngate to Royal Docks ~5000Ft.

Thank you so much!!
ElfBane Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 01:27:44
Suzail dimensions;

1. West to East (Trading Yards Tower to Market Hall Tower) ~4800Ft.
2. SW to NE (Field Gates to East Gate) ~5000Ft.
3. NW to SE (Horngate to Royal Docks ~5000Ft.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000