Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate 3 being developed by Larian

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 31 May 2019 : 01:01:06
https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-iii-teased-by-larian/

So it appears the fact that WotC's big AP for 2019 being BG: Descent into Avernus is not accident, but clearly an attempt to tie on with this game. It also explains why Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul are in mortal form (but still super powerful Gods) as was told in a LYSK segment.

Its been said that boss Nathan Stewart has insisted any new major video game has to use the 5e ruleset.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 04 Mar 2020 : 20:01:01
Master Gyor,

I kind of wonder how much the classes are going to matter anyhow. 5e plays to averaging things out so much that while the characters seem different enough, the math behind them certainly isn't.

My primary hope is that WotC doesn't compel Larian to leave out lore that could help fill in a........100 year gap or so, so that some consistency can be put into play.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

My thoughts on yesterday's gameplay reveal.

It's going to take a while to get used to the turn-based system. I couldn't really get into DOS2, but at least BG3 will have FR lore to motivate me.

The Origin characters look interesting, but I wish they would have a specific story available to custom characters too. The great thing about BG1&2, is that although all custom characters followed the same storyline, the story was about the character you created in your imagination. The Origin characters, while getting neat dialogue options tied to their backstory, aren't really your character. Not that I have a problem with pre-made characters, I am a big fan of JRPGs after all.

But there is a criticism that I've seen elsewhere, about the game currently resembling DOS3 far more than BG3. And people do have a point there. At the moment, there really isn't a reason why this should be called BG3. The gameplay is far different and there is no clear tie to the story of BG1&2 (although Swen Vicke did refuse to answer if Minsc would be in the gam, in a way that pretty much confirmed he's going to be in it). At this point, this could be any other Forgotten Realms game.

I'm hopeful though. The game looked really nice, and the FR lore may well motivate me into learning the mechanics. And honestly, it would be awesome if somewhere along the story the original Bhaalspawn saga suddenly got intimately integrated into the story of BG3.

They've said the custom characters will be much more fleshed out then in DOS2, class, race, background, and I think subclass will all matter to the customize character, so hopefully it will be equally interesting to the Origin Story Characters.

Gyor Posted - 04 Mar 2020 : 02:21:38
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I hope beyond all hope that this game is good. But as previously stated by others best I can do is "cautiously optimistic". I could not get into Divinity: Original Sin II, maybe it was the non-D&D rules, maybe it was the non-FR setting, maybe it was the odd "physics" like puzzles. I tried my hand at at the EE:BG2 again after beating the original something near two decades ago and it didn't hold the same shine, gaming including story telling in gaming has come a long way since then. There were a lot of Do and Don't lessons that came out of NWN and NWN2, as well as some of the best online RP I ever had in online MMO style NWN communities.

But here is hoping, maybe they will manage to capture the essence of the original game while updating it for a new era (And I don't mean the graphics or the POV). I'll likely be one of the first in line to give them my money either way.

Also thoughts of the Illithid and Far Realm like creatures in the sky? The darkening of the skies reminded me of Bruce Cordell's the Illithid Trilogy from the Monstrous Arcana series.

Edit: On a second watch there is also a grafiti symbol on the wall at the 0:04 mark. Looks like an upside down triangle and with a hand print with skull like markings. Maybe some sort of hybrid symbol of multiple deities?

I think the Graffiti is the Symbol for The Cult of the Absolute.
Gyor Posted - 04 Mar 2020 : 02:18:46
quote:

It's going to take a while to get used to the turn-based system. I couldn't really get into DOS2, but at least BG3 will have FR lore to motivate me.

The Origin characters look interesting, but I wish they would have a specific story available to custom characters too. The great thing about BG1&2, is that although all custom characters followed the same storyline, the story was about the character you created in your imagination. The Origin characters, while getting neat dialogue options tied to their backstory, aren't really your character. Not that I have a problem with pre-made characters, I am a big fan of JRPGs after all.

But there is a criticism that I've seen elsewhere, about the game currently resembling DOS3 far more than BG3. And people do have a point there. At the moment, there really isn't a reason why this should be called BG3. The gameplay is far different and there is no clear tie to the story of BG1&2 (although Swen Vicke did refuse to answer if Minsc would be in the gam, in a way that pretty much confirmed he's going to be in it). At this point, this could be any other Forgotten Realms game.

I'm hopeful though. The game looked really nice, and the FR lore may well motivate me into learning the mechanics. And honestly, it would be awesome if somewhere along the story the original Bhaalspawn saga suddenly got intimately integrated into the story of BG3.

They've said the custom characters will be much more fleshed out then in DOS2, class, race, background, and I think subclass will all matter to the customize character, so hopefully it will be equally interesting to the Origin Story Characters.
Delwa Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 23:45:24
quote:

I can see the objection there, but at the same time, I don't? I was introduced to the Realms via the original BG games. But even back then, there were the Console Baldur's Gate Games, like Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance 2. So all it took back in the day to be a Baldur's Gate Game was to be situated around or near Baldur's Gate. Seems they're going with that definition with BG3.

That said, I really, really want there to be a connection the original PC games, at least make Minsc a party member or something. They already have him in the current timeline. My only question is, are they going to do that, or is his comic storyline going to run parallel to the game like it has for all the other campaign modules? Because if that's the case, leaving him out might be a foregone conclusion.
Tanthalas Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 21:21:09

Ayrik Posted - 14 Jun 2019 : 16:46:07
The graffiti looks sort of like a hybrid of old Bhaal and Bane unholy symbols. Traditional evil cult gang turf markers.

But it also looks sort of like a representation of an illithid. Maybe something like a trail marker - a warning to travellers.
rangerstranger Posted - 11 Jun 2019 : 14:32:06
quote:

Edit: On a second watch there is also a grafiti symbol on the wall at the 0:04 mark. Looks like an upside down triangle and with a hand print with skull like markings. Maybe some sort of hybrid symbol of multiple deities?

When I first saw this I thought this was a mindwitness. Basically a beholder that underwent ceremorphosis. The eye stalks above the head and tentacles below but I'm not sure about the 2 eyes and nose of the skull. I wonder if it is just some random symbol.
Gyor Posted - 11 Jun 2019 : 14:12:15
https://youtu.be/IH1Xte953fY

A video of Larian's boss and Mike Mearls discussing BG3 at the PC Gamer Show.
Gyor Posted - 10 Jun 2019 : 12:52:43
quote:

Yep 100% right on the nautiloid, when I paused the frame it was clear. Also found an interview that confirmed it.

Also touched on is they started working on this before Divinity: Original Sin 2 was done, likely pre-production. So it is about 1.5 years into production. They mention that they have an in house staff of about 200, roughly what a AAA game uses. And it is highly likely they are using their previous engine or at least not starting from scratch. Two years is the low end, three years the high. So I would guess end of this year at the earliest, more likely Q2 next year.

Also figure they state that this follows after the events of the new Adventure coming in the fall. So you would want to give players some time say 6 months or so to get through that?

That is 200 internal Devs, they have around 100 external Devs. Plus WotC gives them all the advise that they ask for.

Gelcur Posted - 07 Jun 2019 : 07:04:10
Yep 100% right on the nautiloid, when I paused the frame it was clear. Also found an interview that confirmed it.

Also touched on is they started working on this before Divinity: Original Sin 2 was done, likely pre-production. So it is about 1.5 years into production. They mention that they have an in house staff of about 200, roughly what a AAA game uses. And it is highly likely they are using their previous engine or at least not starting from scratch. Two years is the low end, three years the high. So I would guess end of this year at the earliest, more likely Q2 next year.

Also figure they state that this follows after the events of the new Adventure coming in the fall. So you would want to give players some time say 6 months or so to get through that?
Lamora Posted - 07 Jun 2019 : 03:02:27
So apparently this is coming out this November? This game is supposed to come out at the launch of the Google Stadia which, if I am reading this right, launches in November. That seems like a short development cycle... unless they somehow kept the reboot of a gaming classic like Baldur's Gate from leaking. Anyone know how long they have been working on this game?
Baltas Posted - 07 Jun 2019 : 02:05:21
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael

"Creature" in the sky is not a creature, it's either a nautiloid or another variety of mind flayer spelljammer such as a dreadnought:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Nautiloid
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dreadnought

quote:
Originally posted by Ephiron

Nautiloid is correct. This is from one of the interviews.

"The big tentacle thing is called a Nautiloid – it’s how the Mind Flayers traverse the astral plane. It was made popular in a [D&D] sub-universe called Spelljammer, but we just thought it was incredibly awesome. This is going to be biggest Nautiloid you’ve ever seen."

Oh yeah, recognize it now.

This all makes the game already seems awesome.
Ephiron Posted - 07 Jun 2019 : 01:24:26
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael

"Creature" in the sky is not a creature, it's either a nautiloid or another variety of mind flayer spelljammer such as a dreadnought:

Nautiloid is correct. This is from one of the interviews.

"The big tentacle thing is called a Nautiloid – it’s how the Mind Flayers traverse the astral plane. It was made popular in a [D&D] sub-universe called Spelljammer, but we just thought it was incredibly awesome. This is going to be biggest Nautiloid you’ve ever seen."
Sammael Posted - 06 Jun 2019 : 23:39:30

Gelcur Posted - 06 Jun 2019 : 18:54:58
I hope beyond all hope that this game is good. But as previously stated by others best I can do is "cautiously optimistic". I could not get into Divinity: Original Sin II, maybe it was the non-D&D rules, maybe it was the non-FR setting, maybe it was the odd "physics" like puzzles. I tried my hand at at the EE:BG2 again after beating the original something near two decades ago and it didn't hold the same shine, gaming including story telling in gaming has come a long way since then. There were a lot of Do and Don't lessons that came out of NWN and NWN2, as well as some of the best online RP I ever had in online MMO style NWN communities.

But here is hoping, maybe they will manage to capture the essence of the original game while updating it for a new era (And I don't mean the graphics or the POV). I'll likely be one of the first in line to give them my money either way.

Also thoughts of the Illithid and Far Realm like creatures in the sky? The darkening of the skies reminded me of Bruce Cordell's the Illithid Trilogy from the Monstrous Arcana series.

Baltas Posted - 06 Jun 2019 : 18:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

Official announcement trailer just came out and jesus it looks amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=OcP0WdH7rTs

I realize only the opening cinematics will look this good, but it's pretty darn good, so I'm hopeful. :D

It appears from the trailer Illithids will play an important role in the story, maybe even Maanzecorian (who returned to life) or Ilsensine will have a role (seeing the giant cephalopod head in the sky)
sno4wy Posted - 06 Jun 2019 : 17:25:32
Official announcement trailer just came out and jesus it looks amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=OcP0WdH7rTs

I realize only the opening cinematics will look this good, but it's pretty darn good, so I'm hopeful. :D
Sammael Posted - 05 Jun 2019 : 22:51:51
Well, it won't be Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound (which also was not set in Baldur's Gate, name was only used for brand recognition and licensing purposes), but Larian has a good reputation so I am cautiously optimistic.
sno4wy Posted - 03 Jun 2019 : 19:27:26
I'm really excited for this, I'd been dying for a current-gen FR video game, and my high hopes for Sword Coast Legends were dashed pretty epicly. I only recently started playing Original Sin 2 and have been finding it quite exceptional, and with Larian's solid history I'm hoping that we'll finally get the current-gen FR game that won't totally embarrass its legacy.
Ephiron Posted - 03 Jun 2019 : 16:17:29
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

I feel like that's too soon for BG3. Developers like show games off at conventions, demos, etc. before releasing it. I'd imagine they'd do at least 1 cycle of all of the big game and RPG conventions before releasing it to build up hype.

As I recall there were plenty of announcements at last E3 of games that were released within a year. It seems to me like the trend is to actually shorten the time between the announcement and the release to keep the hype hot.
jamesewelch Posted - 03 Jun 2019 : 13:22:40
I feel like that's too soon for BG3. Developers like show games off at conventions, demos, etc. before releasing it. I'd imagine they'd do at least 1 cycle of all of the big game and RPG conventions before releasing it to build up hype.
Ephiron Posted - 02 Jun 2019 : 23:31:08
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are also being ported to Nintendo Switch (along with a bunch of other D&D games) and will be released on September 27, 2019.

¨
So, Descent Into Avernus in September, console ports in September... it would make a lot of sense for BG3 to also aim at September.
jamesewelch Posted - 02 Jun 2019 : 14:35:57
Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are also being ported to Nintendo Switch (along with a bunch of other D&D games) and will be released on September 27, 2019.
Gyor Posted - 02 Jun 2019 : 13:21:29
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

The Baldur's Gate games were what got me into FR to begin with, and so far I do like Larian's work. The last two divinity games (not a fan of the armor system in the second one though, that's my major gripe with Larian so far) and dragon commander were really fun for me. When I first read a headline stating that BGIII was to be produced I was kind of worried that it would be done by Beamdog and I felt that their work on the Baldur's Gate series while not what I would call "bad" was kind of underwhelming (imho).

However I'm being only cautiously optimistic about this. I'm not a big fan of WotC's work with the realms to say the least, and as far as the rule set the game would use I'd rather it either be 2e or 3.5e rather than 5e... or far worse, some made up system like Sword Coast Legends.

I hear Beam Dog is porting their BG:EE, BG2: EE, Planescape: Torment: EE, and NWN1: EE are all being ported to consoles with further enhancements like new classes (I assume everyone with the Enhanced Editions will benifit from stuff like new classes, not just the console versions).
eeorey Posted - 01 Jun 2019 : 22:34:51
The Baldur's Gate games were what got me into FR to begin with, and so far I do like Larian's work. The last two divinity games (not a fan of the armor system in the second one though, that's my major gripe with Larian so far) and dragon commander were really fun for me. When I first read a headline stating that BGIII was to be produced I was kind of worried that it would be done by Beamdog and I felt that their work on the Baldur's Gate series while not what I would call "bad" was kind of underwhelming (imho).

However I'm being only cautiously optimistic about this. I'm not a big fan of WotC's work with the realms to say the least, and as far as the rule set the game would use I'd rather it either be 2e or 3.5e rather than 5e... or far worse, some made up system like Sword Coast Legends.
Baltas Posted - 01 Jun 2019 : 13:01:19
I think this is great news, especially seeing how good Divinity: Original Sin II was.

(And Larian always made great games - the original Divine Divinity is an underrated Gem, if more like cross between Diablo and Ultima games, than an Infinity Engine game.)
deserk Posted - 01 Jun 2019 : 01:06:04
Fairly sure it will be set in Baldur's Gate. Why else would they call it that, if it doesn't deal with the city or the Bhaalspawn progeny, especially after so long an interval since the original BG games? But maybe an expansion pack or a sequel can hopefully take us elsewhere in the Realms, preferably some place in south or east Faerun
Gyor Posted - 01 Jun 2019 : 00:27:21
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I hope they leave the Sword Coast, but being the titular city was abandoned in BG2; I'm thinking it will be focused there. Still...I'm dying to pay a modern game set in the Realms that isn't a crap MMORPG.

I agree 100%. I was disappointed in that Neverwinter Online was so aweful, it couldn't even get 4e right and 4e was designed to be directly converted to CRPGs.

It surprised me because Star Trek Online also by Cryptic can be a lot of fun and complex.

I do agree that the Swordcoast is sooooo over used,but I understand they are playing to Nostalgia.
Seravin Posted - 31 May 2019 : 17:56:23
I hope they leave the Sword Coast, but being the titular city was abandoned in BG2; I'm thinking it will be focused there. Still...I'm dying to pay a modern game set in the Realms that isn't a crap MMORPG.
Gyor Posted - 31 May 2019 : 11:41:46
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I want to be excited by this, I really do. But anything that WoTC is involved in has to be met with skepticism. For the moment I'll continue to enjoy Pillars of Eternity and the amazing world they created for that game.

WotC isn't making it, Larian is and while I haven't played their games, I've heard good things about them.

Still given their rescent video game record I understand your skeptism.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000