Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Time Units

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 13 Jun 2019 : 19:13:10
This may seem like a very noobish FR question and one that I’d think should be easy to look up, but I can’t find the information I am looking for. It’s on units of time in the realms. Sure, we have the days, months and years (360 day cycle, I believe), but do we refer to “weeks” in the realms? I thought it was supposed to be a “tenday” only which is literally ten days, but I couldv’e sworn I have read that weeks are referred to in supplments or novels in the past. Is that an oversight, or are they referring to a tenday and just calling it a week?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 14 Jun 2019 : 10:20:27
The FRCG books describe the basic calendar, timekeeping, and distance units.
The Calendar of Harptos (3 tendays per month, 12 months and 5-6 holidays per year) is the most common in Faerun but other units and groupings (like 7-day weeks with very recognizable weekday names) are often used in other contexts - obsolete reckoning systems, village gossip, careless writing - they're mentioned often enough that apparently everyone knows what they mean.

Even people from faraway Halruaa and Thay and Abeir and Krynn and the Nine Hells are familiar with weeks and weekends, it must obviously be a universal concept built into the common language itself. Lunar cycles are just as out of sync in the Realms (and Krynn, etc) as on our own world. We can assume ancient architecture (like sundial obelisks, pyramids, stone circles, etc) on the Realms will be inexplicably aligned to astronomical positions and dates equivalent to their counterparts on Earth. Maybe "tendays" vs "weeks" is the Realms equivalent of Metric vs Imperial?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms_Campaign_Setting
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Calendar_of_Harptos
Gelcur Posted - 14 Jun 2019 : 06:05:24
More interesting tidbits, Ed uses the term weekend in Elminster's Forgotten Realms p. 27. How many days is a weekend composed of? In the 3E FRCS p. 86 does mention some parts of the Heartlands are designating the 10th day of the week as a no labor day, being called "elf day" in the Dales and "dragon-rest" in Corymyr. In our world weekend normally denotes the end of the work week starting once Friday's day of labor has ended. Could hold the same meaning in the Realms, from the end of 9th days labor to through the 10th day.
Seethyr Posted - 13 Jun 2019 : 21:40:12
That’s very informative. Thank you. I knew I’ve see. “Week” mentioned before - I just didn’t know if it was an oversight or not.
Gelcur Posted - 13 Jun 2019 : 20:52:43
My understanding is as follows. Toril has a 365 day cycle, 12 months with 30 days each (360 days) plus 5 holidays that fall between months, every 4 years there is a 6th holiday, Shieldmeet, similar to our leap year. Each month is separated out into 3 weeks of 10 days each, often referred to as a tenday or in some rare occasions a ride. 3E FRCS p.76 defines a week in the Realms as 10 days. So a week is an arbitrary unit of measure defined for a world.

Where it gets confusing is the base D&D set, I'll use 3.5E as an example, uses the term week but never defines it, easy to assume its a RL 7 day week. Since 3.5E was based in Greyhawk it would likely mean a week was 7 days. For ease of use I just translate rules mechanics 1 week for 1 tenday and handwave the difference on different planes as planar magic anomaly similar to how everyone learns/forgets languages as they travel prime planes.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000