Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Next Drizzt book in September, Boundless

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

  Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
    

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mankyle Posted - 12 Apr 2019 : 06:49:20
https://www.amazon.com/Boundless-Drizzt-Novel-R-Salvatore/dp/0062688634

[Img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51E6BffMCvL._AC_SY400_.jpg[/img]
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 May 2019 : 05:29:42
I gave reasons for why I didn't like the War of the Spider Queen books -- the same reasons I've given here. And I got a one-week ban. And the moderator that banned me refused to communicate with me -- he didn't even deign to reply. There was no warning or anything, just an instaban and a deletion of not just one but several comments of mine -- he basically removed any proof that I'd even participated in the discussion.

I listed specific reasons for why I didn't like those books, and one person still called it bashing and overreacted.

Oh, and not only was there no warning or anything -- that was my first encounter with the moderation there. I'd barely been there a month or two, and then out of the blue, I'm banned because I was the one person to express dislike on a series that others were praising.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 24 May 2019 : 21:23:39
The fRA also allows for dissenting opinions, they just don't want outright bashing. It's fine to say, "I didn't like X book because [insert reason]". But the rules don't allow for bashing, as in "this book sucked and I don't know why anyone would read it". I have given my reasons why I didn't like something. I think a lot of it depends on delivery. If you're insulting the book or author, the comment is going to be removed. If you're just explaining why you don't like something, chances are it'll be allowed. That's been my experience. I do agree they can be a bit strict sometimes (also something I have brought up), but members are allowed to not like a book. Express opinion, just don't be insulting. That's what I have gotten out of it. I think sometimes there is a borderline, and admins will make a call. Like any fan group, I have had good and bad experiences there, but I enjoy it as a whole.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 24 May 2019 : 20:43:32
quote:
Originally posted by GoForTheEyes

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin
But I'm more and more coming around to the fact that maybe there just aren't enough people interested in FR novels. I frequent here and the FR subreddit and both of these communities seems to have sparse activity at best. Maybe it's different on Facebook?



There are more active communities on Facebook, for instance the Forgotten Realms Archives sees a fair amount of activity. However, let's just say that, in that case especially, quantity is a very far cry from quality, and if you like the latter, stick to the places you already frequent. More and more it seems the FRA is interested in itself rather than the franchise it supposedly celebrates, with how it shuts down, deletes, and bans over any mention of other FR communities (Candlekeep included). More problematic is what appears to be a stance against inclusiveness, to the point of even shutting down threads by FR authors towards the topic. Very sad really, given both Ed's and WotC's stance, not to mention countless authors, regarding that subject.



I am on the FRA (I am more active there than here these days). It is actually inclusive, the issue is that whenever inclusivity is brought up, other members cause drama, so the thread invariably gets shut down. This frustrates me as well, since I gravitate toward inclusive novels (I am big on LGBT issues), and is something I have brought up with the admins. Mentioning other FR communities is also allowed. I have seen CK mentioned several times (and mentioned it myself).
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 24 May 2019 : 20:16:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert


Or they slap people down for having unpopular opinions. I got an arbitrary temporary ban for daring to say that I didn't like the War of the Spider Queen books, and then listing concrete reasons why.

I removed myself from the group when that happened.



This has me a little hot under the collar. Might have to cause a fuss over there, pretty good friends with some mods. If you of all folk can't give an opinion what good is it?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 May 2019 : 19:47:35
I still read the Drizzt books, and I love Drizzt, but I don't like the Drizzt=Realms mentality that so many seem to have adopted. I feel that the novels only marginally represent the Realms. Other than some drow stuff, they don't contain much lore. It's kind of like Bob plays in the Faerun sandbox but does his own thing (and he seems to be the only author who is allowed to do so). WotC pushed the Drizzt books harder than any of the other series, so it gained more attention. But now, it's practically its own franchise.
KraziJoe Posted - 13 May 2019 : 21:43:59
THIS!!! When I move I should submit to WotC my masseuse and chiropractor bill! My back is getting old and moving these books around isn't easy anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I understand your view, but it's misguided. Like you, I also am sick of the Drizzt trope, it's a tired cliche. A predictable Mary Sue.

But I also understand marketing and branding to some degree (I worked with a marketing-branding department in the past). If the Drizzt franchise ends up failing…. it will surely impact any future potential WotC IP licenses, which means it would greatly discourage any other author from ever attempting any future Realms novel.

The reverse is also true. If the Drizzt brand continues to be profitable, it could encourage future authors into writing (non-Drizzty) FR books once again, even if only a very few authors, as well as encourage WotC to consider licensing non-Salvatore D&D novels again.

I myself have zero interest in Drizzt. But I do wish the franchise continued success. Last time I had interest in dark elves was when I pretended to be a half-naked Dark Elf Priestess of Innoruuk begging for magic weapons from epic level players…. Everquest. lol




I showed the Forgotten Realms franchise owners 30 years of brand loyalty buy purchasing every novel and every source book (even though I rarely played the game). Yet they still killed off the novel line. So forgive me if I don't believe for a Toril minute that any success of current or future Drizzt novels will lead to a revival of the novel line.

WoTC only cares about capitalizing on the rising popularity in pop culture for playing DnD. That means catering to the casual fans. Unfortunately these casual fans don't care about the actual back story of the settings and so they won't buy source books nor novels. They take the more dedicated fans for granted expecting that we will unload our wallets to them regardless of how much attention they give us. So no, I don't think I'm misguided at all. What I'm being is a rational consumer and saying "no, I don't like the product you're selling one bit and I'm not going to spend another dime on you".

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2019 : 20:27:34
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I understand your view, but it's misguided. Like you, I also am sick of the Drizzt trope, it's a tired cliche. A predictable Mary Sue.

But I also understand marketing and branding to some degree (I worked with a marketing-branding department in the past). If the Drizzt franchise ends up failing…. it will surely impact any future potential WotC IP licenses, which means it would greatly discourage any other author from ever attempting any future Realms novel.

The reverse is also true. If the Drizzt brand continues to be profitable, it could encourage future authors into writing (non-Drizzty) FR books once again, even if only a very few authors, as well as encourage WotC to consider licensing non-Salvatore D&D novels again.

I myself have zero interest in Drizzt. But I do wish the franchise continued success. Last time I had interest in dark elves was when I pretended to be a half-naked Dark Elf Priestess of Innoruuk begging for magic weapons from epic level players…. Everquest. lol




I showed the Forgotten Realms franchise owners 30 years of brand loyalty buy purchasing every novel and every source book (even though I rarely played the game). Yet they still killed off the novel line. So forgive me if I don't believe for a Toril minute that any success of current or future Drizzt novels will lead to a revival of the novel line.

WoTC only cares about capitalizing on the rising popularity in pop culture for playing DnD. That means catering to the casual fans. Unfortunately these casual fans don't care about the actual back story of the settings and so they won't buy source books nor novels. They take the more dedicated fans for granted expecting that we will unload our wallets to them regardless of how much attention they give us. So no, I don't think I'm misguided at all. What I'm being is a rational consumer and saying "no, I don't like the product you're selling one bit and I'm not going to spend another dime on you".



This is my stance, as well. I've purchased damn near two complete sets of all the FR source material, and I've twice purchased something like 90% of the novels. I voted with my dollars for a long time -- since like '89 or '90.

When WotC circles back around to giving me what I want, they'll get my money. Until then, I can find a lot of other places to spend money. D&D may be back at the top of the list of RPGs, but that list is a heck of a lot bigger than it used to be.
Gary Dallison Posted - 07 May 2019 : 17:57:18
I never did understand the argument of "buy this garbage you don't want or need, and maybe they will make something you like later". Corporate nonsense to me
Caolin Posted - 07 May 2019 : 17:53:06
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I understand your view, but it's misguided. Like you, I also am sick of the Drizzt trope, it's a tired cliche. A predictable Mary Sue.

But I also understand marketing and branding to some degree (I worked with a marketing-branding department in the past). If the Drizzt franchise ends up failing…. it will surely impact any future potential WotC IP licenses, which means it would greatly discourage any other author from ever attempting any future Realms novel.

The reverse is also true. If the Drizzt brand continues to be profitable, it could encourage future authors into writing (non-Drizzty) FR books once again, even if only a very few authors, as well as encourage WotC to consider licensing non-Salvatore D&D novels again.

I myself have zero interest in Drizzt. But I do wish the franchise continued success. Last time I had interest in dark elves was when I pretended to be a half-naked Dark Elf Priestess of Innoruuk begging for magic weapons from epic level players…. Everquest. lol




I showed the Forgotten Realms franchise owners 30 years of brand loyalty buy purchasing every novel and every source book (even though I rarely played the game). Yet they still killed off the novel line. So forgive me if I don't believe for a Toril minute that any success of current or future Drizzt novels will lead to a revival of the novel line.

WoTC only cares about capitalizing on the rising popularity in pop culture for playing DnD. That means catering to the casual fans. Unfortunately these casual fans don't care about the actual back story of the settings and so they won't buy source books nor novels. They take the more dedicated fans for granted expecting that we will unload our wallets to them regardless of how much attention they give us. So no, I don't think I'm misguided at all. What I'm being is a rational consumer and saying "no, I don't like the product you're selling one bit and I'm not going to spend another dime on you".
moonbeast Posted - 07 May 2019 : 05:45:13
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I refuse to buy any more Drizzt novels until they release a novel set anywhere else with any other character. If Drizzt novels is all WoTC got for the novel line, then I say let it die.



I understand your view, but it's misguided. Like you, I also am sick of the Drizzt trope, it's a tired cliche. A predictable Mary Sue.

But I also understand marketing and branding to some degree (I worked with a marketing-branding department in the past). If the Drizzt franchise ends up failing…. it will surely impact any future potential WotC IP licenses, which means it would greatly discourage any other author from ever attempting any future Realms novel.

The reverse is also true. If the Drizzt brand continues to be profitable, it could encourage future authors into writing (non-Drizzty) FR books once again, even if only a very few authors, as well as encourage WotC to consider licensing non-Salvatore D&D novels again.

I myself have zero interest in Drizzt. But I do wish the franchise continued success. Last time I had interest in dark elves was when I pretended to be a half-naked Dark Elf Priestess of Innoruuk begging for magic weapons from epic level players…. Everquest. lol

Lord Karsus Posted - 05 May 2019 : 07:47:41
-Before 4e, before the Spellplague/timejump.
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 05 May 2019 : 04:21:31
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-What's Drizzt & Co. up to these days?



What's the last thing you read or heard about them?
Lord Karsus Posted - 02 May 2019 : 03:34:58
-What's Drizzt & Co. up to these days?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2019 : 20:47:58
quote:
Originally posted by GoForTheEyes

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin
But I'm more and more coming around to the fact that maybe there just aren't enough people interested in FR novels. I frequent here and the FR subreddit and both of these communities seems to have sparse activity at best. Maybe it's different on Facebook?



There are more active communities on Facebook, for instance the Forgotten Realms Archives sees a fair amount of activity. However, let's just say that, in that case especially, quantity is a very far cry from quality, and if you like the latter, stick to the places you already frequent. More and more it seems the FRA is interested in itself rather than the franchise it supposedly celebrates, with how it shuts down, deletes, and bans over any mention of other FR communities (Candlekeep included). More problematic is what appears to be a stance against inclusiveness, to the point of even shutting down threads by FR authors towards the topic. Very sad really, given both Ed's and WotC's stance, not to mention countless authors, regarding that subject.



Or they slap people down for having unpopular opinions. I got an arbitrary temporary ban for daring to say that I didn't like the War of the Spider Queen books, and then listing concrete reasons why.

I removed myself from the group when that happened.
Caolin Posted - 01 May 2019 : 05:59:26
quote:
Originally posted by GoForTheEyes

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin
But I'm more and more coming around to the fact that maybe there just aren't enough people interested in FR novels. I frequent here and the FR subreddit and both of these communities seems to have sparse activity at best. Maybe it's different on Facebook?



There are more active communities on Facebook, for instance the Forgotten Realms Archives sees a fair amount of activity. However, let's just say that, in that case especially, quantity is a very far cry from quality, and if you like the latter, stick to the places you already frequent. More and more it seems the FRA is interested in itself rather than the franchise it supposedly celebrates, with how it shuts down, deletes, and bans over any mention of other FR communities (Candlekeep included). More problematic is what appears to be a stance against inclusiveness, to the point of even shutting down threads by FR authors towards the topic. Very sad really, given both Ed's and WotC's stance, not to mention countless authors, regarding that subject.



Facebook is just a cesspit in general. I deleted my account a log time ago because of it.
GoForTheEyes Posted - 01 May 2019 : 04:03:01
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin
But I'm more and more coming around to the fact that maybe there just aren't enough people interested in FR novels. I frequent here and the FR subreddit and both of these communities seems to have sparse activity at best. Maybe it's different on Facebook?



There are more active communities on Facebook, for instance the Forgotten Realms Archives sees a fair amount of activity. However, let's just say that, in that case especially, quantity is a very far cry from quality, and if you like the latter, stick to the places you already frequent. More and more it seems the FRA is interested in itself rather than the franchise it supposedly celebrates, with how it shuts down, deletes, and bans over any mention of other FR communities (Candlekeep included). More problematic is what appears to be a stance against inclusiveness, to the point of even shutting down threads by FR authors towards the topic. Very sad really, given both Ed's and WotC's stance, not to mention countless authors, regarding that subject.
Caolin Posted - 30 Apr 2019 : 20:47:02
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert


It's hard to have a lot of activity in an online community when we're not being given anything to be active about.



Tell that to the Song of Ice and Fire crowd. There's a subreddit for book only fans that is still pretty damn active. But I do get your point. The fanbase is there, it's just horribly managed by WoTC.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Apr 2019 : 20:02:42
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos


WotC don't care. Salvatore found a publisher that was prepared to back a trilogy of Drizzt novels and pay him enough to write them, and WotC enough to licence out the IP. WotC have their cut (and likely something from the sales) and will do it again with any author that can a) set up such a deal and b) pay them what they want. Realistically only Salvatore has that much author clout and so Drizzt novels it is.

-- George Krashos



This is about as accurate a reading as there is. I wish he would work to try and expand this agreement to the larger FR author community. But who knows, maybe he has tried and failed?

But I'm more and more coming around to the fact that maybe there just aren't enough people interested in FR novels. I frequent here and the FR subreddit and both of these communities seems to have sparse activity at best. Maybe it's different on Facebook?



It's hard to have a lot of activity in an online community when we're not being given anything to be active about.

If WotC would give us sourcebooks and novels to talk about, we'd be discussing them.
Caolin Posted - 30 Apr 2019 : 18:59:47
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos


WotC don't care. Salvatore found a publisher that was prepared to back a trilogy of Drizzt novels and pay him enough to write them, and WotC enough to licence out the IP. WotC have their cut (and likely something from the sales) and will do it again with any author that can a) set up such a deal and b) pay them what they want. Realistically only Salvatore has that much author clout and so Drizzt novels it is.

-- George Krashos



This is about as accurate a reading as there is. I wish he would work to try and expand this agreement to the larger FR author community. But who knows, maybe he has tried and failed?

But I'm more and more coming around to the fact that maybe there just aren't enough people interested in FR novels. I frequent here and the FR subreddit and both of these communities seems to have sparse activity at best. Maybe it's different on Facebook?
George Krashos Posted - 30 Apr 2019 : 15:50:53
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I refuse to buy any more Drizzt novels until they release a novel set anywhere else with any other character. If Drizzt novels is all WoTC got for the novel line, then I say let it die.



If you're not buying the new Drizzt novels because you don't like them or don't think they're worth your money, that's perfectly reasonable.

But if you're not buying them in order to send a message to WotC that they should prioritize licensing or publishing non-Drizzt Realms novels, I'm quite sure your message will be badly misinterpreted.



WotC don't care. Salvatore found a publisher that was prepared to back a trilogy of Drizzt novels and pay him enough to write them, and WotC enough to licence out the IP. WotC have their cut (and likely something from the sales) and will do it again with any author that can a) set up such a deal and b) pay them what they want. Realistically only Salvatore has that much author clout and so Drizzt novels it is.

-- George Krashos
Caolin Posted - 28 Apr 2019 : 08:33:38
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yeah, but since WotC won't publish or license non-Drizzt novels, and they've proven unwilling to listen to what we want on novels, then there is no other way to send them a message.



Pretty much this. There is literally no chance that we are getting anything but Drizzt novels in the near or even distant future. I find the Drizzt novels to be played out and boring. I'm not going to buy them just for some small chance that WoTC will change their tune.

When Ed Greenwood stops fighting for the Realms and moves on to other things, that should be a big red sign for the rest of us.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Apr 2019 : 18:36:23
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I refuse to buy any more Drizzt novels until they release a novel set anywhere else with any other character. If Drizzt novels is all WoTC got for the novel line, then I say let it die.



If you're not buying the new Drizzt novels because you don't like them or don't think they're worth your money, that's perfectly reasonable.

But if you're not buying them in order to send a message to WotC that they should prioritize licensing or publishing non-Drizzt Realms novels, I'm quite sure your message will be badly misinterpreted.



Yeah, but since WotC won't publish or license non-Drizzt novels, and they've proven unwilling to listen to what we want on novels, then there is no other way to send them a message.
John Daker Posted - 27 Apr 2019 : 17:07:03
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I refuse to buy any more Drizzt novels until they release a novel set anywhere else with any other character. If Drizzt novels is all WoTC got for the novel line, then I say let it die.



If you're not buying the new Drizzt novels because you don't like them or don't think they're worth your money, that's perfectly reasonable.

But if you're not buying them in order to send a message to WotC that they should prioritize licensing or publishing non-Drizzt Realms novels, I'm quite sure your message will be badly misinterpreted.
Caolin Posted - 25 Apr 2019 : 05:03:37
I refuse to buy any more Drizzt novels until they release a novel set anywhere else with any other character. If Drizzt novels is all WoTC got for the novel line, then I say let it die.
xTheCanadian Posted - 20 Apr 2019 : 11:32:18
I can't wait! I liked Timeless! I need to listen to it again though..

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000