Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do you pronounce Malar?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jamesewelch Posted - 14 Apr 2019 : 23:12:44
MAY-larr (1st edition FR campaign set)

MAH-larr (2nd edition Faiths & Avatars)

MAHL-arr (3rd edition FR campaign set)

I've always said "Mauler" (because I thought it was meant to be that way based on his description), but I started looking up the official pronunciations and noticed it's changed over time. There's no pronunciation guide for 4e or 5e.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 17 Apr 2019 : 17:31:46
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

How now the brown drow.

This is actually exactly the way I see it...especially since the cover of Icewind Dale...
moonbeast Posted - 16 Apr 2019 : 00:13:53
How now the brown drow.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 19:13:55
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Darn it - I always pronounced it MAY-lar, which seems to be unpopular. Then again, I refuse to rhyme drow with cow, and only say it like crow because crows are cool and cows are dumb.

I also say MAY-lar...but drow are cows

Drow rhymes with bow.

I prefer to have drow rhyme with crow, but knowing the official pronunciation has it rhyme with cow means that even without intending to, I've started pronouncing it the wrong that way.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 18:16:12
quote:

Now on slight tangent…. I wonder if I'm the only one that says "SHAH-DAHR KAI" ….. and never Shade-er kai.

SHAD-AR-KIE here.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 18:15:38
quote:

Now on slight tangent…. I wonder if I'm the only one that says "SHAH-DAHR KAI" ….. and never Shade-er kai.

SHAD-AR-KIE here.
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 17:13:06
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Darn it - I always pronounced it MAY-lar, which seems to be unpopular. Then again, I refuse to rhyme drow with cow, and only say it like crow because crows are cool and cows are dumb.

I also say MAY-lar...but drow are cows
Seravin Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 11:22:59
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 10:15:38
quote:

Nope, I say that the way you do.
moonbeast Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 04:15:48

moonbeast Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 04:14:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Muh-lar. That's how I've always said it.

Me too. I say it like the word "malarkey". Without the key.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 01:46:49
Muh-lar. That's how I've always said it.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Apr 2019 : 01:32:58
That's a good point about the regional dialects. For instance, I know up north, Pecans are pronounced PEE-CAN but down south its PECK-AWN. Same nut. Tomato is to some TOE-MAETO, others TOM-AUTO. Personally I say the 1st edition MAY-Larr.
Ayrik Posted - 14 Apr 2019 : 23:53:31
I've always pronounced it with stress on the "ah" from the front of the mouth, like "cAt" or "rAm" or "Alligator" or "Astronaut". And a long "o". "Ma-lore", rhyming with the first two syllables in "calorie".

But different speakers in the Realms will have their own regional accents just as they do on our world - in our world you don't have to look farther than how the name "Jesus" is spoken to immediately understand a lot about the speaker and which flavour of the "same" religion is being referenced.

The English lect we speak in my part of Canada is not very much like the Anglo-Saxon "proto English" apparently spoken by the sorts of Brythonic/Celtic "ffolk" who populate the Moonshaes in the Realms, although it probably retains more of the "old" phonemes than its American English counterparts.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000