Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mages and Sages Podcast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JEThetford Posted - 25 Feb 2019 : 23:55:31
I hope that everyone has been enjoying the podcasts on YouTube!

We need questions for Ed for the next one and any suggestions as to who you would like to join him. I have hit up Eric Boyd to join us for one but would love to hear from anyone who has a suggestion for others as well!

Kepp playing in the Realms
Aaomas Balkrim
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 05:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

When is the next podcast? Is there any place where listeners/viewers can submit questions? Thank you

If you are on social media there is a "Fans of Ed Greenwood" Facebook page where the pending get-togethers are advertised and questions requested. Otherwise, there is the "Mages & Sages" thread right here at the 'Keep which we monitor.

-- George Krashos

EDIT: Noticed that AJA beat me to it.
AJA Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 04:51:00
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77
When is the next podcast? Is there any place where listeners/viewers can submit questions? Thank you

On the topic of "where," there is the Mages and Sages Podcast thread in the Chamber of Sages section here, or possibly in Eric's or George's threads if they should happen to see it. Or the Fans of Ed Greenwood Facebook page (if you use Facebook).

Cards77 Posted - 03 Feb 2020 : 04:03:59
Dalor Darden Posted - 03 Feb 2020 : 01:38:48
I have a question that goes back a ways for Jeff Grubb:

Was the ship The Realms Master a Skyship or no?
The Arcanamach Posted - 13 Jul 2019 : 01:43:59
I've been working my way through them and they are fantastic. To whit, I'll make my first query for them: I'm currently running a campaign in Sessrendale and would dearly love any information that can be given about the dale and the Dusk Lord in particular. I've already combed through the CK forums and come across some great lore, but anything to expand upon that would be helpful.
Demzer Posted - 08 May 2019 : 14:04:37
I second the praise for the podcasts and everyone involved in making them full of lore, enjoyable to listen to and available to us.

Also, I don't know if I should be happy and honoured about triggering the first Eric Boyd NDA (that I know of) on Princess Tianna Skyflower but I'm looking forward (even more so than before if possible) to Crown of Earlann.

Question for Mods and whoever else is "in charge" of this scroll: we should direct all new answer to the new scroll in the Chamber of Sages, right?
George Krashos Posted - 08 May 2019 : 13:34:55
Good to see that people are enjoying the podcasts. They are fun to do but the heavy lifting is being done by Jeff Thetford who coordinates us and then does the thankless task of editing and putting it all together. A true hero of the Realms.

-- George Krashos
Renin Posted - 08 May 2019 : 02:57:01
An absolutely wonderful endeavor. I love this podcast; I don't think I've been this excited to just go back and reread everything from the greybox on ...just to immerse myself in all things Realms!

Thanks to Eric and George's conversations, I can't wait to establish a new campaign in the High Forest. Fantastic motivation gents; thanks!
Eilserus Posted - 07 May 2019 : 15:26:19
Finished listening to the latest podcast last night, great stuff. Sounds like you all are having a good time too! Looking forward to the next installment. :)
George Krashos Posted - 03 May 2019 : 00:52:47
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Okay, we are going to meet up again this Saturday to talk Realms, so if anyone has more questions please feel free. Can't guarantee we'll get to the this session but we'll give it the old New Olamn try!

-- George Krashos

We are actually meeting Friday night, but the folks of Adelaide have messed up their calendars.

--Eric

Ahem, it was the (absolutely appropriate) royal "we" and "we" are participating on Saturday morning.

-- George Krashos
ericlboyd Posted - 02 May 2019 : 18:46:35
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Okay, we are going to meet up again this Saturday to talk Realms, so if anyone has more questions please feel free. Can't guarantee we'll get to the this session but we'll give it the old New Olamn try!

-- George Krashos

We are actually meeting Friday night, but the folks of Adelaide have messed up their calendars.

--Eric
George Krashos Posted - 02 May 2019 : 01:14:12

-- George Krashos
AJA Posted - 13 Apr 2019 : 00:44:34

Again, for Ed;

Back in 2006 (18 Feb 2006, specifically) you made reply at candlekeep.com to someone asking about an island shown north of Icewind Dale on the "A Scholar's View of Abeir-Toril" map of the 3E FRCS (page 231) which stated, in part, "Folk of surface Faerūn today have entirely forgotten about this huge island, and don’t know where 'Duuthskor' (a place in the oldest Uthgardt legends, and mentioned in some dwarven chants) is."

I was wondering if you might be able to relay some of the details of those legends and chants?

AJA Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 01:58:06
Ed, a few rather obscure (to me, at least) NPC queries;

From your 2006 Q&A thread at Candlekeep (23 Jan 2006, specifically), I'd like to know more of ;
"Aka 'the Questmaster' (the mysterious sponsor and trainer of adventurers) who dwells, these days, in the wilderlands of the Sword Coast North."

Also,

Is Ambra, the half-elven sometime-prostitute and creator of the spell Ambra's Kiss (again from your '06 replies, 22 Nov 2006 specifically) the same person as Ambra Steelthorn, masked owner of the broadsheet Full Frontal Druidity: The Broadsheet That Lays Bare Secrets Most Shocking, from your 2009 Spin-a-Yarn, Night of the Dread Pudding?

And if so, can we have more information on her? And if not, can you provide more information on both?

Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Apr 2019 : 23:04:23
Thanks for the answer about elven civilizations guys!
Seethyr Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 22:30:09
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus
[

3. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark mentions Svirfneblin gem magic and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has some good info on gem magic, but is there anything specific to the Deep Gnomes and their use of such magic that could be added?

If memory serves me correct, a former Barae of Chult used a heavy dose of gem magic as well. This was demonstrated in the novel Ring of Winter.

I’d really like to know about gem magic in the Realms as well.
Renin Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 18:18:14
When Mystra returned, did she go about finding a Magister soon after?
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 18:34:47
For Ed:

Markustay and I created a fanbook about Ixinos, home of the She-Wolves Mercenary Company. What did you personally think of the She-Wolves and how they fit into the Vilhon Reach area? Do you have any thoughts on how they might engage in sponsoring independent adventuring groups to augment their interests in the Reach to better protect Ixinos?

~Conrad
kysus Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 07:36:32
i think i can come up with a question or two

1) how does an elven family attain the status of nobility within an elven community? ie- performing a number of heroic deeds, performing a number of boons for said community, or something else?

2) were there any little known spells that you created that was used by very specific elven families that would have been passed down from member to member as an heirloom or what not?
sleyvas Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 00:29:29
Listening to it, we at least have that Aurune is one of the continents. Personally, I like that Myrmidune and Aurune are continents to agree with what I see from fellow sages. The debate of what is Katashaka and whether that one continent is Osse will continue, but hopefully it becomes a truism.
Eilserus Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 18:39:05
Elven assassins have been known to destroy the work and anyone involved in the creation of Killing Storm related spells. What's to stop this from happening in the Underdark? Was the Ascomoid Plague that wiped out V'elddrinnsshar in the Year of Many Bones (1278 DR) an Underdark version of a Killing Storm spell?
Eilserus Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 18:26:28
In Volo's Guide to All Things Magical under Raw Metals there is a snippet that talks about "metals that can talk even before they are forged, and places where metal grows as trees, gleaming in glorious plenty for anyone who finds the hidden groves..."

1. Can anymore be said about such metals, if not, are there any new metals or alloys (dwarven if possible) that could be revealed that have not seen print?

2. Demihuman Deities lists The Handmaidens of the Spider Queen as a crusader order. I'd love to know more about this group if possible.

3. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark mentions Svirfneblin gem magic and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has some good info on gem magic, but is there anything specific to the Deep Gnomes and their use of such magic that could be added?

This podcast is great. Thank you all for taking the time to do this, it's the awesome. :)
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 18:25:25
EDIT:

found the link above...
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 23:28:49
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Alright so a bunch of questions, if they're already answered somewhere please disregard them and point me at the relevant sources if possible:

9) Random godly question: what's the business with Bane cursed by Tempus to be unable to wield any weapon?

I recall him not being able to specialize with weapons because of Tempus...but he is capable of using weapons I thought.
Demzer Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 22:35:17
Alright so a bunch of questions, if they're already answered somewhere please disregard them and point me at the relevant sources if possible:

1) Jeryth Phaulkon the Grand-daughter of Silvanus, can we have more information on her, her backstory and where the epithet comes from?
2) Misstyre the drow wizard and his large band of Vhaerunite drow in the High Forest: where do they come from, how are they surviving amidst so many elves and the fey creatures allied to them and what are they up to in the 1370s?
3) Any kind of information on the half-elven Shadoweirs beyond the bare bones given in Champions of Valor?
4) Princess Tianna Skyflower, is she related to any past noble house / kingdom of elves? Why has she adopted the moniker? Hope she is not just a bandit-lady with a huge ego, any information or detail is appreciated;
5) Sharess has subsumed many other faiths/entities over the centuries, are there any aspect-specific dates/celebrations that are followed in specific regions beside the Endless Revel of Life? On the latter, is there any important celebration that may stand out a little bit for one reason or another from the Endless Revel?
6) Gorm Gulthyn, lots of different questions: are there special rituals that the faithful perform when they know they're at their last stand? Are there important/famous "last stands" of the past that are commemorated/celebrated by the faithful (for example related to the fall of the mightiest dwarven kingdoms)? Does he have a sizeable following among the duergar considering he is probably the only Morndinsamman that actively supports them against their enemies and if so what are some differences in rituals or important dates with respect to shield/gold dwarven followers?
7) Are there any descendants of noble families or the royal line of fallen Thearnytar still around the Realms in the 1370s?
8) Is there any descendant of famous/infamous gold elven noble families of the ages past among the gold elves of Iyrandrar in the 1370s?
9) Random godly question: what's the business with Bane cursed by Tempus to be unable to wield any weapon?
ericlboyd Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 22:24:44
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

another question for Eric:

How did you decide upon the creation of the man-hating Eldreth Veluuthra? I always thought they were very similar to the elves of Cerilia from Birthright; but was this simply a case of convergent but separate creations or was there influence from Rich Baker who had Creative credits in Cloak and Dagger?

I didn't create them ... although I did develop them in VGtATM (in perhaps the one magic item I regret creating ...)

More during the talk.
Gary Dallison Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 20:06:24
Hi Eric and George, my question is about delimbiyr the city. It was destroyed in a huge magical explosion and one would imagine that it would become a famous dungeon much like hellgate keep but thus far it is relatively unknown to us.

Is it the case that delimbiyr is not known outside the shining vale and if so why. If not and it is famous, could you reveal some awesome treasures that entice treasure hunters (apart from the ghost throne already detailed). Also what hidden evils can you shed light on that are guarding the awesome treasures above.
AJA Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 19:53:38

Hi Eric! I would like to know more about about the Shining Vale, the High Forest, and the Crown of Horns. And clerical calendars. Oh, and the elven nobility.

I would also like to ask you the same question I posed to George last session, even though I assume the answer is similar; you've been writing about the Realms for a number of years and a number of edition changes, both as a professional and a fan. What is it about the Realms that keeps you coming back?

Also, Fourth Edition changed and consolidated many of the gods, to mixed reaction. In the pre-4E time frame, what deity do you personally think is most in need of a re-design, and how would you go about it?

Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 19:29:25
I have a few, dragon related, questions for Eric, as well:

1. Can you elaborate in the relationship between Marduk and Bahamut? We know by canon (The Devil You Know) that draconic Tiamat and Summerian Tiamat were originally different deities, until somehow Draconic Tiamat ate/fused with her Summerian counterpart (when she was attuning herself with Zigguraxus), becoming the one and only Tiamat, the Dragon Queen we know and love today.

So, what is the story behind the relationship of Marduk and Bahamut? Why he would allow Bahamut to use his name (or fuse with him, or whatever they did), if he hated dragons that much? Or did he only hated chromatics?

2. I know you worked in the fantastic Dragons of Faerūn (one of my fave Realms sourcebooks), and in that book, there are mentioned a few draconic "empires", with colorful names such as Darastriverticha, Caesinmalsvir, and Tharkrixghontrix, but there is nothing elaborated about them. So, what can you tell us about them?

3. On that same vein, what can you tell us about those dragonborn communities in the Dalelands near Essembra, that are mentioned in this book?

Hope you can answer them and thanks for answering fan questions, as well!
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 18:43:30
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Questions, we need questions!

I'm hoping for questions from products I worked on up through 3.5e (1375 DR).

I'm particularly hoping folks will ask questions about the Shining Vale, the High Forest, the Crown of Horns, clerical calendars, and the elven nobility.

I have a question:

With so many great elven civilizations in and around the High Forest; where did all of the ruins go? Are the elves simply that good at dismantling civilizations that took them hundreds and even thousands of years to create? If they are that good at it, how do they do it? Where do all the beautiful towers go, the arching walls and bridges, even the common buildings...where does all that material go from hundreds and thousands of years of civilization?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000