Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Hello there

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 01:31:25
Hi,

Long, long time lurker and first time poster.

I've browsed these forums many years ago, but I never registered (unless I did and have forgotten whatever email I used before).

I've been playing off/on FR since around early to mid 90s (2e, Thac0), but I didn't even know it was FR, it was just the world that my first DM used. I didn't really get into FR until I started reading novels in 00s. Then I took a detour to Eberron for a decade or so. Now, I'm back with FR.

I'm currently working on a deity specific resource book (lore, conversions of spells, items, creatures, etc.) for DM's Guild with R.P. Davis as the editor.

What started out as an idea and a couple pages of notes soon grew to a dozen pages and now way more than that. Right now, I feel like I'm obsessed with finding information about this deity - and I've already scoured the forums and the Candlekeep Compendium for any reference. (I didn't find many, he's not a popular deity).

I just want to tell the mods and admins, thanks for keeping this site running for so long. As a (very small) RPG play-by-post forum admin (we've only been around since 2003), I know how hard it is to keep the lights on especially when admins, owners, domains, hosts change.

Anyways, if any sages are interested in proofreading (R.P. is taking care of editing) to make sure I don't say something that conflicts with canon (or say something stupid), let me know. I feel pretty confident about everything except the planes - that confuses the heck out of me, especially when there's different versions of the planes for different editions and they use similar place names but the places moved to different planes/worlds or something (so I've kept that to the bare minimum).

Thanks and best wishes for another ten years or more,
~Jim
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Seravin Posted - 06 Apr 2019 : 09:16:43
There may be some details when Rusk is spied on by the manservant character (his name escapes me!) at the wolf den. Good luck with your project, it sounds great!
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 22:35:15
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Hmm my understanding of the Black Wolf prophecy is that a lycanthrope would become an avatar of Malar during a full lunar eclipse if the scrolls and ritual were followed? And through them he would hunt in the Realms? But Talbot chose Selune in the end and didn't end up a vassal of Malar, where Rusk was maimed and an unfit vessel for it? But I haven't read that book in a while :)

That's correct. I remember what would happen, but I couldn't remember exactly what the steps/ritual were to bring about the Black Wolf.
Seravin Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 22:14:11
Hmm my understanding of the Black Wolf prophecy is that a lycanthrope would become an avatar of Malar during a full lunar eclipse if the scrolls and ritual were followed? And through them he would hunt in the Realms? But Talbot chose Selune in the end and didn't end up a vassal of Malar, where Rusk was maimed and an unfit vessel for it? But I haven't read that book in a while :)
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 16:39:57
quote:

One of my faves! I think a lot of good Malar information is in the novel Black Wolf (in the Sembia series). His speciality priests had a cool unique weapon detailed in the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover that I craved for my character (Claws of Malar? 2 attacks for 1d6 each and weapon proficiency bonuses). I'm clueless beyond 3rd edition rules wise but your work sounds interesting!

Cool. Yeah, the Claws of Malar is referenced in a bunch of books. There's different versions of those, the basic crude ones and then ones crafted. I added a couple more themed\regional versions (like one made from yeti claws).

I'm not sure I completely understood the prophecy in the Black Wolf novel. I think it required lycanthropes to master their ability to shift, but unless it was different in 2e, lycanthropes who accepted their curse (rather than fight it) already had the ability to shape change at will. Only the ones who resisted would turn on full moon against their will. Did I misunderstand that part of the prophecy? (If you remember it.)
Seravin Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 16:27:55
One of my faves! I think a lot of good Malar information is in the novel Black Wolf (in the Sembia series). His speciality priests had a cool unique weapon detailed in the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover that I craved for my character (Claws of Malar? 2 attacks for 1d6 each and weapon proficiency bonuses). I'm clueless beyond 3rd edition rules wise but your work sounds interesting!
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 16:08:48
quote:

Well met! What's the deity? I'm curious!

Malar, The Beastlord. In the book's current font size (11pt), there's about 40 pages of lore-related material and another 40-50 pages of appendices (items, spells, monsters, etc.). Some are 5e conversions, adaptions, or inspired by pre-5e items - some others are created by me, or have a cannon reference but its never been stat'd before.
Alaundo Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 14:53:05
Well met, jamesewelch

I'm glad ye decided to join the scribes of Candlekeep. Oh it is a pleasure to remain herein within these halls and keep the torches lit. I look forward to reading of thy works of lore and hearing more of thy research.

Enjoy thy stay.
Seravin Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 14:37:30
Well met! What's the deity? I'm curious!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Apr 2019 : 03:43:46
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000