Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do the Tabaxi engage in human sacrifice?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
valarmorgulis Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 04:14:10
Did the Tabaxi engage in human sacrifice? I read a passage in the 2e book Jungles of Chult that Spiritlords "live to ensure the clan doesn't offend an ancient hero or elemental power by missing a ritual or a sacrifice."

Not sure if this means human sacrifice though.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 05:41:27
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

a cult called the Spearbearers of Ubtao, whose rituals require them to 'sacrifice sentient life' (with the lofty goal of preventing Dendar from eating the world).

sentient life does not mean human though. It could mean sacrificing yuan-ti, goblins, or any dozens of other sentient beings in Chult.

Or simply "Enemy of the Tabaxi" / "Enemy of those who serve Ubtao", which in practice would be much the same.
"Spearbearers" suggests a martial order, so it would fit well.
Bulak Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 22:11:08
Yea, thinking about it, I definitely agree my assumption was wrong. There's no point in making things worse (more evil) than strictly needed for them.
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 22:02:35
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

They're not particularly evil. 'Rituals and sacrifice' can mean a lot of things, like killing an animal to appease the spirits, for example.
The Jungles of Chult book clearly states the goblins do sacrifice humans to their god. The Tabaxi rituals and sacrifices aren't specified as far as I know, but they're a lot... friendlier. :)
However, in the 3e Champions of Ruin book, there's mention of a cult called the Spearbearers of Ubtao, whose rituals require them to 'sacrifice sentient life' (with the lofty goal of preventing Dendar from eating the world).
So I would guess the tribes generally don't sacrifice humans, but this particular cult most likely does.

sentient life does not mean human though. It could mean sacrificing yuan-ti, goblins, or any dozens of other sentient beings in Chult.

I'm with Sleyvas on this one. Goblins getting what they give is karmic.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 21:36:37
quote:

They're not particularly evil. 'Rituals and sacrifice' can mean a lot of things, like killing an animal to appease the spirits, for example.
The Jungles of Chult book clearly states the goblins do sacrifice humans to their god. The Tabaxi rituals and sacrifices aren't specified as far as I know, but they're a lot... friendlier. :)
However, in the 3e Champions of Ruin book, there's mention of a cult called the Spearbearers of Ubtao, whose rituals require them to 'sacrifice sentient life' (with the lofty goal of preventing Dendar from eating the world).
So I would guess the tribes generally don't sacrifice humans, but this particular cult most likely does.

Bulak Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 09:51:39

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000