Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mentally Ill NPCs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 18:46:48
I'm looking for NPCs in the Realms that are mentally ill. I don't mean just evil overlords with delusions of grandeur; I mean characters that might have any number of mental impairments.

I want to avoid comparisons to real world psychological things here; I'm only looking for characters that either in a product or novel the individual is mentioned to have some sort of problem.

My reason behind this is that I'm wondering if the reason they have this is because Cure Disease doesn't work and a full on Heal would be needed...which most can't get.

So again, looking for individuals that have mental impairments in the Forgotten Realms to see if I can get a good gauge on why they exist at all in a world full of magic.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 22:51:33
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

No, he firmly believed Boo was a "miniature giant space hamster". I don't know why everyone thought he was insane. If you look at Boo, he is OBVIOUSLY a miniature giant space hamster.

That's what he was...a miniature giant space hamster.

Nope, no crazy there.

I didn't read Philip Athans' novel...did it have Boo as well?

Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are a thing. They have a sub-entry on the write-up for Giant Space Hamsters in MC7, the first Spelljammer appendix for the Monstrous Compendium.

I missed this after so many years of playing...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 22:34:14
quote:

quote:

No, he firmly believed Boo was a "miniature giant space hamster". I don't know why everyone thought he was insane. If you look at Boo, he is OBVIOUSLY a miniature giant space hamster.

Nope, no crazy there.

Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are a thing. They have a sub-entry on the write-up for Giant Space Hamsters in MC7, the first Spelljammer appendix for the Monstrous Compendium.
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 22:00:15
quote:

Nope, no crazy there.

sleyvas Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 21:39:59
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zarrin

Im surprised no one mentioned Minsc yet.

Wooly should have got that one!

Honestly, I've never played those games. I've heard more than one reference to them, but I've never played them myself.

Minsc was the fighter with the Hamster(?)...that apparently he thought of as a demi-god or something.

sleyvas Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 21:39:21
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I've never played those games. I've heard more than one reference to them, but I've never played them myself.

Minsc was the fighter with the Hamster(?)...that apparently he thought of as a demi-god or something.

Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 18:41:38
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 18:38:21
quote:

quote:

Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 15:49:49
quote:

Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 15:49:08
It seems that the majority seem "touched" by magic or godly influences.
Zarrin Posted - 19 Mar 2019 : 06:27:00
ericlboyd Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 14:09:06
Morasha, Granddaughter of Aumvor the Undying, is described as mad in REF5 - Lords of Darkness (1e).
LordofBones Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 12:29:52
To be fair, Augathra's visions were the apocalyptic kind. There's a diviner in one of the Realms anthologies, and aside from the visions, he's quite sane.

And the Chosen can't really be blamed either. Mystra's deaths are a revolving door, and the Chosen are so intrinsically tied with her I'm surprised they didn't all go the way of the Simbul after the second time she bit it.
ericlboyd Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 12:25:09
Don't forget the infamous seer, Augathra the Mad.

Methinks being a seer or a Chosen is a recipe for madness.

--Eric
Barastir Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 11:20:24
quote:
Originally posted by Jaz660
I do recall a town mayor in Volos Guide to The Sword Coast having a religious compulsion that changed with a stiff breeze. Perhaps this is what you meant?

This is Lord Elvar the Grainlord, the same mentioned above by Mr. Krashos.
Jaz660 Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 02:54:22
Little idioms and quirks of personality could still could to a minor degree. Being a slave captured by Thay, drow, beholders, Zhents would most likely lead to heavy depressive states. Humans often died as humanoid slaves, which wouldn't be all rosy for npcs or characters.
A noble with a touch of OCD may not even raise eyebrows. I do recall a town mayor in Volos Guide to The Sword Coast having a religious compulsion that changed with a stiff breeze. Perhaps this is what you meant?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 02:08:52
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There is also the case of War Wizard Ilstan Nyaril, who went mad when he became Chosen of Azuth. Dunno if Chosenhood make you mad regardless of god, or if is only a thing of the gods of magic.

With Elminster and the Seven, it's not as much the Chosenhood that does it as it is the long years of watching individuals, families, and entire nations crumble away and be forgotten.

And Sammy, I think, was already unstable, it just hadn't shown up before. Sometimes something that looks/seems solid truly is, and other times, it'll crumble away, given sufficient pressure. This is why, I think, Mystra took the step of giving birth to the Seven herself: she figured a divine birthright would improve the odds of bearing the silver fire without being overwhelmed.

...And given that she's done that before, what's to say she hasn't tried it again, since? It just occurred to me that she might have quietly birthed other potential Chosen over the years, and we've simply not found out about them, yet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 02:02:27
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

I'm not sure that mental illness in NPCs has really been touched on in existing Realmslore. There's the odd reference here and there, but I don't recall any NPC that was more than single throwaway reference that had a mental illness, aside from Halater's generic madness.

(I know Ed has asserted, more than once, that Mystra's Chosen tend to run lower on the sanity quotient, because of the cumulative effects of watching the world age while you don't, but I don't think published Realmslore has ever come anywhere near touching that)

Wooly, if I remember correctly, Queen Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep went bonkers after she became a Chosen of Mystra. The Seven Sisters sourcebook also implied it was because she could not handle the silver fire sufficiently well.

Good call. I had obviously forgotten a lot of NPCs!
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 20:17:08
There is also the case of War Wizard Ilstan Nyaril, who went mad when he became Chosen of Azuth. Dunno if Chosenhood make you mad regardless of god, or if is only a thing of the gods of magic.
Delnyn Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 17:14:58
quote:

I'm not sure that mental illness in NPCs has really been touched on in existing Realmslore. There's the odd reference here and there, but I don't recall any NPC that was more than single throwaway reference that had a mental illness, aside from Halater's generic madness.

(I know Ed has asserted, more than once, that Mystra's Chosen tend to run lower on the sanity quotient, because of the cumulative effects of watching the world age while you don't, but I don't think published Realmslore has ever come anywhere near touching that)

Wooly, if I remember correctly, Queen Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep went bonkers after she became a Chosen of Mystra. The Seven Sisters sourcebook also implied it was because she could not handle the silver fire sufficiently well.
Delnyn Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 17:09:42
Would the Netherese archwizard Tabra qualify? She sounded quite off kilter in the novel Spellstorm. I guess torture at the hands of the Shadovar would do that someone.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 06:43:44
Well, Elvar the Grainlord who ruled Triel ere his demise as recounted in Ed's novel "Hand of Fire" was clearly suffering from mental illness in the form of obsessive/compulsive disorder. See "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast".

-- George Krashos
Rymac Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 03:55:41
Azimer the lich in the adventure Lashan's Fall (from the OGB and Dragon Magazine #95) is definitely described as insane. It's either insanity or an undead form of dementia.
Seethyr Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 15:54:36
Pretty sure Halaster had some major issues just prior to the Spellplague, but if I remember correctly it was in part due to the impending Spellplague
Zeromaru X Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 05:12:29
And now that I remember it thanks to Lord of Bones, Mordenkainen (don't ask why I associated Sammaster with Mordy. Even I don't know why).

He went mad because of all the traumatic experiences he lived while in Barovia (Curse of Strahd), and Elminster rescued him and he began to care for Mordy in Waterdeep (Death Masks, novel). Seems magic cannot cure madness, as not even Mystra could completely cure him as well. It seems that using magic may cause madness, as Wooly said, because Laeral was forbidden by Mystra to use magic because of her mental health. And Elminster himself is beginning to suffer from episodes of madness, and is searching for a heir so he can retire at last.
LordofBones Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 04:53:27
Sammaster.

As for why they exist, I'm betting it's because greater restoration is expensive.
Zeromaru X Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 03:38:53
Aren't all beholder paranoids?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 02:12:02

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000