Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Introducing New (Old) Gods

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 07 Mar 2019 : 23:21:48
Has anyone had any success introducing new gods to the Forgotten Realms from existing pantheons like the Greek, Norse, etc.?

The Finnish has several representatives, Celtic and others too...which makes it possible of course.

If you did, how did you do it...what conflicts came of it and so on?

Personally I've recently introduced:

Cernunnos: a counterpart to Silvanus...or perhaps an offshoot of the same god. His cult is growing (in my campaign) in the lands of the Dales. He is a primarily non-human god worshiped by many woodland beings; but several humans have started to worship him as well. His worship was brought by a Druid from another realm who has gained several score worshipers across the Dales with several new druids. If the small cult isn't absorbed by Silvanus' followers, Cernunnos may become embroiled in a battle against Silvanus to see which becomes the Lord of the Forest.

I never liked Silvanus anyway...

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 06 Apr 2019 : 16:32:09
Guess I'll mention that I've included the daedra/aedra from the Elder Scrolls as outer planar races. In ES they're worshiped as gods but I don't use them as such. Instead, they're similar to beings such as demons and angels. The twist is that their alignments aren't static but, instead, tend to change. The change depends on criterion unique to each entity.
Zeromaru X Posted - 23 Mar 2019 : 06:47:58
I guess it makes no sense if you look at it through the lore of 2e. However, you should take into account that WotC discarded that lore and are following their own lore since 3e. And that the plot behind this lore has been modified at least twice (with 4e and 5e).

Perhaps being an archfiend was incredible back then, but since 3e they became noticeable weaker and even more limited that the gods.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Mar 2019 : 02:34:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Yeah I vastly prefer them in their traditional roles (but I'm a bit of a grognard). I'm just trying to justify why Azzy would become a deity shackled to a set of rules and being watched by a superior...unless his endgame is to supplant said superior. I'm sure I/we can come up with other reasons for it though.

If I had to justify the whole ridiculous concept, I'd say that Asmodeus was moving against one of his enemies. Asmodeus becomes a god, which convinces one or more of his enemies that they need to do the same, just to try to keep from getting squashed. Once that enemy/enemies becomes a deity and is thoroughly enmeshed and invested in divine matters, then Asmodeus sheds his own divinity, through some convenient mechanism that was set up before anything ever happened. He goes back to the relative freedom of being the top dog in the Lower Planes, without any divine restrictions, but those who sought divinity as a way to oppose him are now stuck being gods -- which makes them weaker, in the hierarchy of the Lower Planes, because now they have to divide the attention between the Lower Planes and their followers on the Prime.

That's still kind of a weak plot (and a major stretch!), but at least it makes the otherwise nonsensical maneuver have a little bit of reasoning.
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 23:26:30
Yeah I vastly prefer them in their traditional roles (but I'm a bit of a grognard). I'm just trying to justify why Azzy would become a deity shackled to a set of rules and being watched by a superior...unless his endgame is to supplant said superior. I'm sure I/we can come up with other reasons for it though.
George Krashos Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 21:54:50
quote:

I've been reading the discussion regarding Asmodeus. While I prefer his original role in the multiverse I have some speculation as to why he would become a deity. Namely, to supplant AO. It's really just a thought on my part, but if there's a being in the multiverse who can pull it off, it's him.

I hate the idea of archdevils and demon princes becoming gods.

-- George Krashos
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 21:20:30
To pull all of the realms into Hell? Just a guess.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 21:07:28
quote:

I've been reading the discussion regarding Asmodeus. While I prefer his original role in the multiverse I have some speculation as to why he would become a deity. Namely, to supplant AO. It's really just a thought on my part, but if there's a being in the multiverse who can pull it off, it's him.

To what end, though? And that assumes that Ao's boss would even allow it...
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 16:24:15
quote:

Asmodeus always plays the long game.
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 16:10:53
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 16:05:16
Baldur as a male god of beauty regarding the male physique, operates in concert with Sune

Mishakal (DL) as a goddess of medicine and healing, works closely with Eldath

Heironeous (GH) as a deity of freedom fighters

Paladine replaces Tyr in my game and Bahamut is his son

Takhisis replaces Tiamat (who has 3 heads instead of 5) and is daughter to Takhisis

Zinzereena returns as the Masked Lady after an agreement is struck between Eilistraee and Vhauraun to empower her as a third front against Lolth

Cyric is a mad god bent on bringing about an apocalypse

Bane and Bhaal never died and Myrkul is supplanted by Kelemvor as judge of the dead...however, I'm currently running a game in which the Avatar Crisis may have a different catalyst than the theft of the Tablets of Fate and , if all pans out, the gods will walk Toril for a VERY VERY different reason

Loki is a minor deity of cruel mischief

Tyr still exists as a god of harsh justice and is more LN than G (I don't worry much about alignment...especially where the gods are concerned)

Helm = Heimdall (I'm pretty sure this was always Ed's intention)

The Raven Queen is Kelemvor's partner but secretly works against him by siphoning power from the False and the Faithless
Delnyn Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 00:56:37
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Asmodeus does theoretically command the absolute obedience of every devil in the entire D&D cosmos ... arguably more minions and power at his disposal than any other deity. He's already an immortal entity capable of manifesting god-like abilities and destroying all sorts of deities. At least in the earlier game editions.

So I agree that it's an utterly dumb move for Asmodeus to shackle himself to a faith and a bunch of faithful. He was always able to assert a position of dominance over his followers before, his worshippers/cults were forced to accept (or "earn") meager access to his vast and godlike powers on his terms, they always approached (or were trapped) by him instead of the other way around ... there's really no good explanation for him suddenly preferring a co-dependent or symbiotic relationship on more equal terms. Remember that even if an official deity arrangement would technically benefit Asmodeus it would still not fit his temperament and goals - he is the master, others exist to serve (or be corrupted by him), he does not show weakeness and does not share power.

Furthermore, there is no way in the Nine Hells Asmodeus would 1. put himself under Ao's domination and 2. trust his survival to the number of quality of mortal worshippers.
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 05:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]Originally posted by Zeromaru X

So Asmodeus's mortal followers were somehow able to affect all tieflings, everywhere, even on other worlds? Yeah, that makes even *less* sense, now -- especially considering the default planar assumption of 3E was that Toril was pretty much cut off from every other world.

According to 5e, if Toril if not the center of the multiverse, at least is pretty close to it.
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 05:09:16
Not your mouth specifically. As a fan of 4e, I know 4e has its failings. Even I critizese them from time to time. But most of what people in all the Internet (not here — here in fact is a healthy place to talk, TBH) critizise of 4e usually was introduced first in 3.x, and 4e only expanded that plot in the logical way it was hinted at in 3e; yet people only critizese its 4e aspect. Unther, for instance, was about to be destroyed, if not by a meteor full of dragonborn, by something else — all 3.x books that talks about Unther hints about this; but people only got mad when it happened in 4e.

So, my bad there. I assumed you did the same. I owe you an apology.

That say, didn't 5e returned like most of the things to a 2e-like status? There are few things of 4e here and there, but are like a 5% at most, and modified in such a way that are 2e—like.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 02:19:00
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There is a novel explaining why the curse affected all bloodlines (including the demonic ones). Long story short, Asmodeus' followers cursed the blood of certain bloodlines of tieflings with devil or demon ancestors (seems the loths were left outside of this).

So Asmodeus's mortal followers were somehow able to affect all tieflings, everywhere, even on other worlds? Yeah, that makes even *less* sense, now -- especially considering the default planar assumption of 3E was that Toril was pretty much cut off from every other world.

quote:

Now, they all look the same in the art, but isn't this happening since 3e? I have a few 3e books, and the few tieflings that appear there are somewhat similar to the 4e ones. So, why blame 4e for something that has been happening since 3e...

And there are 3E books where tieflings and other planetouched all have a radically different appearance from other members of the same race.

I blame 4E for the one-size-fits-all gig because that was something that was explicitly a part of 4E rules and lore. 3E rules and lore had tieflings all appearing differently from each other.

quote:

Oh, yeah. I remember, 3e is "perfect".

Okay, now, this is just ridiculous. I've a long history of criticizing a lot of aspects of 3E, and my default position has long been that the setting needs to revert to the end of the 2E lore era. So don't go putting words into my mouth simply because you disagree with me.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 21:04:47
quote:

quote:

5e lore, in fact. The novels that explain that were writen for 5e and changed a lot of the 4e lore. But I get your point.

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Nevermind that eating a lesser power should not have boosted the Lord Below to greater deity status,

Azuth only provided the divine spark. What boosted Asmodeus to Greater Deity was the "tiefling curse" (changing all the tiefling bloodlines in the material plane into "Asmodean" ones) that made him a racial god.

Even that shouldn't have pushed him up that high -- it's not like tieflings are a major race, like humans or elves. And it still doesn't explain how -- or why! -- one deity out of dozens located in the Lower Planes could suddenly push the Pause button on a war that had been going on for longer than recorded history.

That curse also made tieflings a lot less interesting. One of the things that made them interesting before 4E was the fact that no two tieflings were identical, because they all had differing ancestries. Forcing them all into one mold took that away.

It made them really interesting from a racist viewpoint.... hmmm, how can I make EVERYONE like me no matter who I mate with (Mulans... certain elven races...). Maybe if I get a lot of tieflings and begin experimenting on them....
sleyvas Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 21:03:01
quote:

quote:

5e lore, in fact. The novels that explain that were writen for 5e and changed a lot of the 4e lore. But I get your point.

quote:

Nevermind that eating a lesser power should not have boosted the Lord Below to greater deity status,

Azuth only provided the divine spark. What boosted Asmodeus to Greater Deity was the "tiefling curse" (changing all the tiefling bloodlines in the material plane into "Asmodean" ones) that made him a racial god.

Even that shouldn't have pushed him up that high -- it's not like tieflings are a major race, like humans or elves. And it still doesn't explain how -- or why! -- one deity out of dozens located in the Lower Planes could suddenly push the Pause button on a war that had been going on for longer than recorded history.

That curse also made tieflings a lot less interesting. One of the things that made them interesting before 4E was the fact that no two tieflings were identical, because they all had differing ancestries. Forcing them all into one mold took that away.

It made them really interesting from a racist viewpoint.... hmmm, how can I make EVERYONE like me no matter who I mate with (Mulans... certain elven races...). Maybe if I get a lot of tieflings and begin experimenting on them....
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 16:14:00
There is a novel explaining why the curse affected all bloodlines (including the demonic ones). Long story short, Asmodeus' followers cursed the blood of certain bloodlines of tieflings with devil or demon ancestors (seems the loths were left outside of this).

quote:

Well, it wasn't just on Toril. In was in the whole material plane (see Bael Turath in the core). So, is a huge number, if you count the many different worlds (settings). Plus, the Spellplague wreaking chaos in the multiverse helped him a lot.

And is not as if the other bloodlines ceased to exist after this. The tieflings in the other planes were left untouched. That's why they reapeared 100 years later.

Mechanically and lorewise, there are a few dragon articles during the 4e era with lore and advise on how to create a different kind of tiefling. 5e also has options for playing different kinds. So, nothing prevents you for playing one of them.

Now, they all look the same in the art, but isn't this happening since 3e? I have a few 3e books, and the few tieflings that appear there are somewhat similar to the 4e ones. So, why blame 4e for something that has been happening since 3e...

Oh, yeah. I remember, 3e is "perfect".
LordofBones Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 15:43:09
It gets even funnier when you realize the Lord Below has a very dim view on baatezu procreation. The former Lord of the Sixth before Moloch and his wife ended up in the deadbook precisely because they violated the Dark Lord's edicts on baatezu reproduction.

Non-diabolic tiefling bloodlines shouldn't have been affected by the "Tiefling Curse" either, since the fiendish race most associated with, well, boinking and birthing aren't the baatezu. Alu-fiends and cambions are of tanar'ri stock, and the tanar'ri have at least three demon princes associated with sexuality.

This is up there with Zargon in how silly it is.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 15:25:08
quote:

quote:

Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 14:10:17

quote:

Gary Dallison Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 10:57:37
It's 4e, that's all that needs saying.
LordofBones Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 10:23:57
It's massive lore rape. Ridiculously massive. A god is potent and powerful, but if it was all that took, Mystra would have simply taken a metaphysical baseball bat to Baator until it coughed up Elminster.

Nevermind that eating a lesser power should not have boosted the Lord Below to greater deity status, or that the Abyss itself has a ton of divine residents (Beshaba, Umberlee, Chemosh, Kali, the Great Mother, Hiddukel, Merrshaulk, etc) of its own, or that if it really were that simple, some greater power of good could have nuked Gehenna or some greater deity of evil could have taken his boot to Arcadia.

It's even worse than the clumsy "Zargon is an ancient baatorian" retcon.
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 06:14:11
quote:

Godhood shouldn't really matter overmuch to beings like the Nine or the Abyssal Lords. Captain Fuzzybritches has the god of ghouls as his somewhat-grumpy lackey, Kiaransalee and Raxivort are both gods terrified of Orcus and Graz'zt respectively, and both Sess'innek and Captain Fuzzybritches gleefully subvert lizardfolk and gnolls away from their patron deities without much care. The 'loths once killed a god.

Though, admittedly, Orcus is probably a boogeyman for gods in general.

Well, I don' t know how much "lore rape" is this regarding the old lore (I only know the new, post-4e lore), but gaining godhood allowed Asmodeus to literally stop the Blood War in all the multiverse during 100 years. And the Hells have a huge advantage in the war while Asmodeus is god (that's why in the Sundering novels, he did his utmost to mantain his godhood; and why the Demon Lords did their desperate plan during the Rage of Demons plot)

So, at least in the new lore, there is big power boost gained for being a god.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Mar 2019 : 11:58:07
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Raven would be a good trickster god for the realms...he could fit in anywhere too. Easy to bring him into things with the Maztica connection. He is powerful too; so he could defend himself as he became established.

And if he were a god of a segment of the aearee, and a kenku like folk in appearance, hmmm.... thank you Dalor, that thing I was literally just talking about in the post before... there might be some bird folk who also worship a magpie like deity. Magpie to match up with more coloration, and possibly more of a link to butterflies via color. Having this trickster deity having ties to the sun, but also to rainbows, could be interesting. It could play into the whole couatl thing too (as an alternative to Qotal, maybe there are couatl type beings that aren't LG, but tricksterish, and maybe they prey on people who think of couatl as good).

Winter, also known as Shakak, is a "Mighty Spirit" of the Azuposi (pretty much a god, but I think locally only). His vanguard is actually the magpie. There are a ton of these mighty spirits covered in FMQ1.

Never noticed that magpie reference to him. So, a god of winter AND a god of "raven-like" birds. If he had death, I'd swear it was a male aspect of the raven queen. Still, its good to note this guy. So maybe he is a former Aearee "deity"/primordial/primal spirit, etc... that's been taken up by other gods. He's definitely an earthy god of winter, not a sea god of winter like Ulutiu, even if his description does kind of sound like Ulutiu (possibly a relation? Jotun?). He doesn't seem tricksterish though in this reference, so maybe less of a replacement for "raven", and more of an extra Aearee god that hasn't died out. Still... makes me want both owl folk and a magpie folk in the north (the magpie folk just being kenku with more coloration and maybe different societal views).

From City of Gold, just for discussion sake.
Winter (Shakak)
Symbol(s): Icicle, magpie
Alignment: Neutral evil
Physical Appearance: A blue-skinned, white-haired man who wears a shirt of icicles and is covered with frost from head to foot.
Role: The spirit of winter rules the North Mountain of Wenimats. He is served by animals of winter, and can cast sleet and hail. His vanguard is the magpie. Shakak battles eternally with the summer spirit, Miochin, for possession of the Corn Maidens.
Seethyr Posted - 11 Mar 2019 : 03:28:01
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Raven would be a good trickster god for the realms...he could fit in anywhere too. Easy to bring him into things with the Maztica connection. He is powerful too; so he could defend himself as he became established.

And if he were a god of a segment of the aearee, and a kenku like folk in appearance, hmmm.... thank you Dalor, that thing I was literally just talking about in the post before... there might be some bird folk who also worship a magpie like deity. Magpie to match up with more coloration, and possibly more of a link to butterflies via color. Having this trickster deity having ties to the sun, but also to rainbows, could be interesting. It could play into the whole couatl thing too (as an alternative to Qotal, maybe there are couatl type beings that aren't LG, but tricksterish, and maybe they prey on people who think of couatl as good).

Winter, also known as Shakak, is a "Mighty Spirit" of the Azuposi (pretty much a god, but I think locally only). His vanguard is actually the magpie. There are a ton of these mighty spirits covered in FMQ1.
sleyvas Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 15:59:08
quote:

sleyvas Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 15:58:34
quote:

sleyvas Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 15:50:21
quote:

quote:

Isn't Mask a trickster type?

He is, kinda, but it's not a primary thing for him, and the stuff he does is malicious and self-serving.

I was thinking more of the Native American-type Tricksters like Kokopelli or Coyote, or some of the ones from legend, like B'rer Rabbit or Reynard the fox.

I particularly like the types that use mischief as a teaching tool.

Its kind of interesting that you specifically bring this up Wooly, as one of the things I was recently thinking about was Anchorome. I was considering introducing a pair of far northern races. I was going to call them the Coyotoi (a coyote folk but with swept back horns on their heads... making an S shape) and the Foxibouri (a fox folk with twisting horns). These peoples would have a "coyote" like god who was a trickster amongst a small pantheon. But, this being would also have hints to a link to an Anchorome great spirit. Part of this also was that these people would also worship a sun god, and I was going to have the metahel version of Frey (whom I'm naming Faerthandir) riding a red-gold furred dire foxibou. Then I might give some kind of linkage to a child of Faerthandir who is tricksterish, but a bit more wholesome than Loki/Valigan Thirdborn/Valigor the Runtborn Giant (and perhaps its worrisome of Faerthandir that this child is involved with Valigor as a friend). I was also going to introduce 3 races of small "doglike" animals, a coyote one with sweptback horns and some kind of undefined ability, a red fox one (foxibou) with swirling horns that can teleport like a blink dog, and white fox one with deer antlers and the ability to fly when it snows and the ability to make it snow in a say quarter mile radius.

The Great Spirit Paiyatemu from City of Gold

[/i]Trickster (Sun Youth, Paiyatemu)
Symbol(s): Clown#146;s garb, butterfly
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Physical Appearance: A handsome Azuposi clown, bearing the shield of the Sun, carrying a flute. Countless butterflies come from the flute when it is played, and flutter around the spirit.

Role: Paiyetmu is the child of the Sun and a mortal woman, who conceived him when a beam of sunlight touched her in her sleep. Many tales surround Paiyetemu as both a #147;hero#148; and a mighty spirit. Many of these stories are coarse, but most are humorous. As a child he was troublesome; as a youth, a problem; and as an adult, he turned into a positively outrageous rascal. He is the patron and archetype of Azuposi rogues, clowns, and practical jokers. Since status as a spirit has been recognized, Paiyatemu has had an official function as the shieldbearer of the sun.[/i]
Demzer Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 11:30:14
quote:

The 'loths once killed a god.

Can't remember off-hand this instance, care to give a pointer?
LordofBones Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 03:58:12
Godhood shouldn't really matter overmuch to beings like the Nine or the Abyssal Lords. Captain Fuzzybritches has the god of ghouls as his somewhat-grumpy lackey, Kiaransalee and Raxivort are both gods terrified of Orcus and Graz'zt respectively, and both Sess'innek and Captain Fuzzybritches gleefully subvert lizardfolk and gnolls away from their patron deities without much care. The 'loths once killed a god.

Though, admittedly, Orcus is probably a boogeyman for gods in general.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000