Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Eldreth Veluuthra

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 18:54:30
Where is this group first mentioned...and who (as in designer) created them?

They seem suspiciously like the Gheallie Sidhe of the Cerilian continent in Birthright.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 01:27:46
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
(people who grow up to discover that they just don't like human superiority and find like minded individuals).

What do you mean by human superiority?

Human ability to control more territory in the world than any other race and push out those who control anything they tend to want. For instance, if both humans and dwarves suddenly found out about a gold vein... I can see the humans acquiring and holding it against the dwarves.
TBeholder Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 01:19:11
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't see that, for dwarves. Part of the issue with elves and humans is competition for the same lands and resources. There aren't many humans trying to make their homes underground; dwarves could literally live underneath the feet of humans without the latter ever knowing the dwarves are there.
Also, humans in general are not that eager to go into mines, and dwarves are less inclined to work fields and gardens, which naturally leads to symbiosis.
quote:
Dwarves have far less of an imperial history than elves, too.

I doubt that. Spawn wars, and what not. But their kingdoms probably were concerned mostly with underground resources, too.
Alexander Clark Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 13:49:18
quote:
(people who grow up to discover that they just don't like human superiority and find like minded individuals).

What do you mean by human superiority?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 12:23:08
quote:

Putting on my wayback helmet and trying to remember back then, I seem to recall prior to this an upsurge in people discussing in forums and such how elves were always being portrayed as the friendly folk. At the same time, in Shining South, you had these surface elves called the Crintri with a fascination with Loviatar coming out. A few years prior there were games being announced proudly with "no elves" in them. Just prior to this, the dark sun setting had been released, in which elves were basically thieves and racial bigots. I have to say, when I saw the concept of the EV appear, I wasn't surprised. I'm actually surprised that there aren't MORE groups of a similar sort amongst other races that compete with humans for resources and who don't basically leech from their societies (dwarves and gnomes in particular, but I think halflings benefit too much from human interaction such that they probably don't harbor DEEP resentment towards humans). Then again, I guess one might say that duergar are a rough equivalent of the EV (though they hate other members of their own race as well), but I'd kind of expect to find something like the EV within regular dwarven society (people who grow up to discover that they just don't like human superiority and find like minded individuals).

I don't see that, for dwarves. Part of the issue with elves and humans is competition for the same lands and resources. There aren't many humans trying to make their homes underground; dwarves could literally live underneath the feet of humans without the latter ever knowing the dwarves are there.

Dwarves tend to keep to themselves and their homes more than elves, too.

And since dwarves don't mix with humans as much and since they live in places humans don't dig, there are far fewer half-dwarves in the Realms, too.

Dwarves have far less of an imperial history than elves, too.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 11:33:39
Putting on my wayback helmet and trying to remember back then, I seem to recall prior to this an upsurge in people discussing in forums and such how elves were always being portrayed as the friendly folk. At the same time, in Shining South, you had these surface elves called the Crintri with a fascination with Loviatar coming out. A few years prior there were games being announced proudly with "no elves" in them. Just prior to this, the dark sun setting had been released, in which elves were basically thieves and racial bigots. I have to say, when I saw the concept of the EV appear, I wasn't surprised. I'm actually surprised that there aren't MORE groups of a similar sort amongst other races that compete with humans for resources and who don't basically leech from their societies (dwarves and gnomes in particular, but I think halflings benefit too much from human interaction such that they probably don't harbor DEEP resentment towards humans). Then again, I guess one might say that duergar are a rough equivalent of the EV (though they hate other members of their own race as well), but I'd kind of expect to find something like the EV within regular dwarven society (people who grow up to discover that they just don't like human superiority and find like minded individuals).
George Krashos Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 05:16:35
They were originally mentioned in FOR4 Code of the Harpers.

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 00:51:31
Oops. Thanks for the answer
ericlboyd Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 00:48:04
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

You can ask Eric about them, in the podcast

They were not originally from Cloak & Dagger. They weren't even from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

--Eric
Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 21:21:08
You can ask Eric about them, in the podcast
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 20:45:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

They seem suspiciously like the Gheallie Sidhe of the Cerilian continent in Birthright.

They were first described in Cloak & Dagger, I believe.

The authors are Eric L Boyd, Sean K Reynolds and Steven E Schend...so I guess the idea didn't come from Rich Baker's elves it seems.

EDIT: although Rich does have Creative Direction credit...hmmmm.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 20:12:58
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

They were first described in Cloak & Dagger, I believe.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000