Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Nov 2014 : 20:07:20
I'm looking for all things Moonshae. I've read the Moonshae book, the Halls of the High King adventure, Treasure Hunt adventure, Dragon 405, Dungeon 196, Dragon 362.

Are there any other Moonshae mentions anywhere in any other sourcebooks or magazines? Even if its only half relevant to the Moonshae such as Grond Peaksmasher, is he featured in any articles.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of concrete information about the area. I have an idea for an alternate take but would prefer it if there were a bit more info to go on.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gary Dallison Posted - 15 Sep 2019 : 21:24:00
Added in my take on ley lines and crossroads, trying to incorporate menhir, trilithons, and dolmen into different ways to affect ley lines and crossroads and why they arent well known outside of the Moonshae Isles and Rashemen (basically what is it about urbanisation and civilisation that removes ley lines).

Gary Dallison Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 20:40:59
I cant say i'm terribly enamoured with the DMs Guild, too much water in the swamp to get noticed. I also dislike having to update and release new versions of pdfs and make them available everywhere.

So instead i opted to go for a wiki style webpage (the link is in my sig) that i can build step by step and amend as i see fit without having to update and release the material.

Ultimately i'm hoping to detail the Moonshae Isles as much as i can using all the canon lore available but repurposing and twisting bits of it to remove the really horrible bits (everything 4e and later) and also to allow DMs and players to take part in the Kazgoroth events rather than just read about them in a novel (i really hate that novels removed playing opportunities, by the end of the two trilogies there was no reason to ever visit the Moonshae Isles).

I plan to have a detailed wiki of every place and person and item and organisation in the Moonshae Isles and then have an adventure path of sorts (not even started that bit) that allows the players to stop Kazgoroth's return.

I'm only intending to do this on the wordpress website i'm afraid and there is no intended finishing date, its a labour of love at this point, if i get fed up i will move onto another area (i intend to cover everywhere in the realms if i live long enough) and come back as the whims take me.

I've got the Hugh Dynasty from GHoTR which i'm adding a bit of detail to as i go through events. I did at one point detail all the dynasties of Corwell, Moray, Oman, and Snowdown as part of an earlier version but i've decided i'm not entirely happy with those and will only be using pieces. Ultimately the dynasties of Corwell and the other islands is not terribly important and i have only provided detail on a few that allowed me to detail the area further.

If you want to see what i've got then here is the link https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/

I will add pictures and pretty it up when i've finished, but thats more of an if than a when.

If you have any comments (even something as minor as spelling mistakes or poor sentence structure) then you can post them here or on the site (i think i have comments enabled)
ElfBane Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 20:04:38
A couple of questions, Gary, about your ultimate goal.

1. Will this Moonshaes lore project eventually be a GHotR-like publication similar to the Maztica project stuff that has been published at the DMs Guild?

2. I believe you published a dynastic record regarding the Moonshaes High-Kings. Will you publish a dynastic record of the Gwynneth/Corwell sub-Kings? Will it be included in the Moonshaes lore project I asked about above? And, do you have enough canon lore to attempt to compile a Gwynneth/Corwell dynastic record?

3. And, to sneak in a third question, when might this be published?

Thank you.
Gary Dallison Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 13:34:21
Adding in tristans chain shirt, seems sensible to be mithril, its light and strong and gleaming like silver, and it keeps him alive against blows from dinosaurs, giants, and even a God. Not sure whether to make it enchanted though, not everything has to be enchanted.

Daryths scimitar is magic, might make it a shoon weapon, minor enchantment to make it sharper and glow in the dark.
Gary Dallison Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 08:51:00
So heimdal could be guardian of home and the dalheim becomes home of guardians.

I think I will use petrified warriors on llorgh, and then use the memory morphed rocks for other islands in norheim and for gnarhelm and Oman where there are Galeb duhr like creatures.
ElfBane Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 23:36:07
Wasn't Heimdal the guardian of the bridge/gate to Asgard? Maybe "dal" means some sort of defensive word, such as the "home guard".
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 13:20:57
I shall have to look into the names of the places and see if I can corrupt any into real Norse words.

Heim means home, so perhaps if dal approximates to dead or stone then Dalheim can be the site of a battle with lots of death and scary stones

Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 13:16:03
You do have some very nice ideas. I shall do that for the first landing of the northmen in norheim where they slaughtered most of an island (who refused to pay up or defend themselves), that should be suitably twisted to scar impressions into the stone.

Perhaps if enough horrors were committed over a long period of time this could imbue sentience into the rocks and I have an explanation for the Galen duhr like creatures around the moonshae isles
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 13:07:37
Another idea.

The rune-scarred, twisted stones are "stone echoes." Simply, in the wake of a major battle, the surrounding stones absorb the energies of that battle (maybe through the will of Tempus).

In the decades and centuries that follow, the stones gradually take on the twisted aspect of those who fought and died, leaving a cryptic manifestation of history long gone.

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Rune scarred stones that were once humans and monsters, implying that some terrifying creature stalked the island in the past, or alternatively the northmen once possessed a skill with runes that they inherited from their former giant masters (that they have since lost), and that skill was used to petrify northmen and monster alike mid-battle (the runes are there to keep the petrification from wearing off).

Not a bad idea, using the unique magic of the moonshaes to preserve northmen history and ruins

Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 12:13:11
Rune scarred stones that were once humans and monsters, implying that some terrifying creature stalked the island in the past, or alternatively the northmen once possessed a skill with runes that they inherited from their former giant masters (that they have since lost), and that skill was used to petrify northmen and monster alike mid-battle (the runes are there to keep the petrification from wearing off).

Not a bad idea, using the unique magic of the moonshaes to preserve northmen history and ruins
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 11:47:33
quote:

Anyone done anything with the island of llorgh in norheim, or surtrs maw or dalheim, or daryns rest.

I'm assuming surtrs maw is a volcano, I'm thinking of linking it to koraxis' maw (the name for bhaal among the sahuagin, and therefore making it a volcanic vent that has sea access to it so the sahuagin can visit as well. I figure it has been used to make a variety of items in the past (ysallas gold dagger, and a few magic items belonging to the true giants).

Otherwise it's completely undetailed. Given that the northmen arrived here first I could litter it with old northmen settlements, but northmen don't really make anything that lasts very long (mostly wooden structures).

I think the Northmen might leave other enduring legacies. For example, twisted, rune-scarred stones that vaguely resemble the humans and monsters they once were.
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 10:08:54
Anyone done anything with the island of llorgh in norheim, or surtrs maw or dalheim, or daryns rest.

I'm assuming surtrs maw is a volcano, I'm thinking of linking it to koraxis' maw (the name for bhaal among the sahuagin, and therefore making it a volcanic vent that has sea access to it so the sahuagin can visit as well. I figure it has been used to make a variety of items in the past (ysallas gold dagger, and a few magic items belonging to the true giants).

Otherwise it's completely undetailed. Given that the northmen arrived here first I could litter it with old northmen settlements, but northmen don't really make anything that lasts very long (mostly wooden structures).
Gary Dallison Posted - 10 Sep 2019 : 06:38:47
Silly me, I missed the important bit out
George Krashos Posted - 10 Sep 2019 : 02:40:39
Your quote doesn't mention Waterdeep ...

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 09 Sep 2019 : 20:58:55
Arrrgh, just found one of those maddening quotes in the Moonshae sourcebook

quote:
The longships landed first along the Norheim Isles, taking tribute from the tiny kingdoms of the Ffolk they found there.
Next Norland and then Oman and Moray

So it looks like the northmen left from Waterdeep as well (and i checked there were a few settlements in the twilit lands of northmen origin around 200 DR when i reckon the northmen began invading the Moonshaes.

So now i have sources saying northmen came from tuern, gundarlun, ruathym, and now waterdeep.
I could get ignore it because those northmen from waterdeep are from the same stock and probably ruled by those from the islands (until later when the twilit lands become populous enough to gain independence)
Gary Dallison Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 21:06:16
Noted on the 4e maps for the Moonshae Isles that the location of Caer Allisynn and Tir faoi Thoinn, as well as east of Flamsterd, north east of Moray, and several places in Norheim show what looks like sunken islands.

I've already got rumours and myths of islands sinking (inspired by caer allisynn and the sinking of half of flamsterd) and linked that to the dwindling power of the Earthmother, as she is drained of power and starts to die, then parts of her collapse into the waters. The sunken land masses look like parts of the islands that have sunk in the past.
Gary Dallison Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 20:23:04
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

It could be even more pedestrian. He could simply be running drugs to increase the size of his hoard.

--Eric

Well drugs in and of themselves could be just drugs, but it ignores the opportunity to explain the presence of an already established evil organisation (the cult of the dragon already has 5 dragons / dracoliches in the region by 1365 DR). The drugs come from Calimshan, the only cult of the dragon presence i could find from Calimshan was ultimately linked to the Twisted Rune via intermediaries. I figure that the scarlet dragon in Amn has organised the drug running to add to his hoard and is using the cult of the dragon as a front for his activities, he in turn is being manipulated by a wizard which is actually an illusory alias of sappriktar the blue who is using the information from the drug runners to add to his spy network.

I'm a big fan of double and triple bluffs and secrets and counter secrets.

So while the cult of the dragon cells in Alaron and Snowdown will be of Calishite / Amnian origin, it will be a false cult and will actually serve the Twisted Rune ultimately.

I'm intending for another cult cell to exist in Gnarhelm and possibly Gwynneth which will be a true cult of the dragon cell founded by cultists from the northern sword coast.
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 19:35:55
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Very comprehensive, and prompt. Thanks!

I think, for the purposes of this module, I'll stick with "...carries whatever spells and items the DM wishes to give him", with a note that his spell repertoire includes Forget and Time Stop.

Kind of odd, though, that an NPC of his power level went completely under the 3.5 radar.

... and Flamsterd's Flamestrike. (See FA1 - Halls of the High King, page 51.)
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 19:31:58
quote:

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

It could be even more pedestrian. He could simply be running drugs to increase the size of his hoard.

--Eric
Gary Dallison Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 19:22:01
Hi Jim,

That's looks pretty good, I repurposed ityak ortheel to have a slightly different origin but if you don't mind I'll still use the image for the carnivorous islands I used in place of the elf eater
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 15:17:59
Gary,

I think we chatted a while ago about Ityak-Ortheel. Here's my commissioned artwork, in case you were collecting "All Things Moonshae" images (for personal, non-commercial use).

Here's the artist's page:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRYOQe

I modified that to add it to a 'parchment' and some notes on the page spread in my upcoming release:
https://i.imgur.com/iYQ0hSE.png

thanks,
Jim
Gary Dallison Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 08:23:07
Randomly reading through the sea devils sourcebook and found their myth and physiology section very interesting. They evolved from elves perhaps but predate sea elves.

So I'm using my alternate timelines theory for the history in the evermeet novel to explain sahuagin origin, using a city of elves far to the south that was submerged. Renaming the Deepglass of Flamsterd to the Deepglass of Anarliss honour of the first sahuagin
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Sep 2019 : 11:04:10
Oh and the scrag arrival would have to be relatively recent (past 300 years or so which is a long time to the short lived sahuagin), because of Eric Boyd's myth of Angus macodrum which hints that the sea elves destroyed kressilacc at some point and I figure sahuagin nations rise and fall quite regularly.

I'm wondering why the scrags conquered kressilacc, what's in it for them. Coss-Axell-Sinioth seems a good instigator for the conquest, using easily manipulated trolls to subjugate the more volatile sahuagin. As an ancient undersea power (in his kraken form) he could be working with slarkrathel against iakhovas (forming an alliance of undersea nations to combat the growing threat of iakhovas' forces (I vaguely recall reading in a sourcebook that there was a big war going on in the tackles sea as a result of iakhovas' actions)
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Sep 2019 : 10:56:46
Not a bad explanation, the names always help convince me. It would have to be a nearby portal that allowed travel for reinforcements to arrive to make the threat real.

Perhaps I can link this to iakhovas at a later, if I recall correctly something in the story involved travel to chult.

The next big question is where these portals came from and why they were created. I don't think we have any batrachi portals detailed yet. The sahuagin live in a big trench that is over 1000 feet deep which I think rules out sea elves, but could be a former Triton place.

Cheers for the help George.
George Krashos Posted - 04 Sep 2019 : 10:30:19
Well, you've answered it below, haven't you?

quote:

So i'm up to detailing Kressilacc.

The big beef i have with Kressilacc at the moment is that this kingdom of sahuagin, located within the sea of Moonshae, surrounded by all the Moonshae Isles, is ruled by sea trolls from the coral kingdom.

It is exactly that. Ruled by sea trolls. As in, sea trolls in the flesh. About 100 of them lead by Tagrash "the Blackjaw", a scion of the ruling scrag clan, who dominate the sahuagin, slaying a few every once in a while to keep them to heel. The sahuagin hate the scrag but know that if they turn on this group, then the whole weight of the Coral Kingdom will come down on them like it did way back back when they were subjugated.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000