Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sails and Scales Adventure

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shades of eternity Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 18:30:19
5e / Forgotten Realms

I like the Saurials

I like them so much I wrote a supplement on them for the dmsguild.

I also wrote a 4 hour con game where saurials look for dragonbait in chult.

With the soon to be released ghost of saltmarsh, I want to go back to an idea I had.

My concept is "the scales and sails adventure."

My idea is that you play a group of saurials on the high seas, most likely after finding dragonbait.

I'm thinking of placing it in the Nelanther Isles

I want to make it somewhat goonie like (aka a bit of a fun house in feel)

I already know I'm going to have a bullywug pirate crew chase them at some point,

but seeing what ideas if you are dinosaur folk riding around in the high seas, what would you want to do?

and more importantly, how long should it be before it outlives it welcome? I'm thinking 2-3 gaming sessions with enough plot hooks for a savvy dm to build off of for their own stuff.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 00:39:48
It doesn't matter where is the original world of the saurials, though. I firmly believe they'll get along with the dragonborn regardless of origins. They are soul siblings, I'm sure of it

Proof? Their most famous individuals in Faerun are followers of gods from the Triad (Dragonbait and Medrash) (?)
sleyvas Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 22:29:19
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The shalarin were said to be from another world until a later source then said they came from a sea on the other side of toril (or is it the other way around).

Just to put my two cents in, I believe it is called the Sea of Corynactis. Do I also remember them worshiping Dagon, or was that fanon somewhere?

The Dagon link comes from Dragon #355, Demon Cults of the Realms by Eric Boyd.

Dagon restricted the influence of the deities venerated by the shalarin (see monsters of Faerun) who dwell in the Sea of Corynactis on the far side of Abeir-Toril, West of Maztica, to the confines of the Shalarin homeland. With his trap thus prepared, the Prince of darkened depths unleashed the first of five "wild tides", the goal of which was to sweep large numbers of Shalarin into the sea of fallen stars (and out of the Sea of Corynactis) where they could be destroyed by Dagon's readied armies.

it then goes on to give more detail on the wild tides historically.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 02:05:20
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

The shalarin were said to be from another world until a later source then said they came from a sea on the other side of toril (or is it the other way around).

Just to put my two cents in, I believe it is called the Sea of Corynactis. Do I also remember them worshiping Dagon, or was that fanon somewhere?

The Sea of Corynactis is correct. I don't recall the Dagon part.
Seethyr Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 21:03:45
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 20:19:16
quote:

Nope. Shalarin were intro'ed in Sea of Fallen Stars, which says on page 99 "Some sages theorize that this sea is either on the far-off planet of Karpri in Realmspace or on the other side of the planet Toril!"

quote:

The point is lore is quite fluid when it comes to origins, and quite rightly so, as far as the saurials are concerned they come from another land, but without modern technology who knows where that land is precisely.

We know that land isn't Abeir, because they had gods and didn't have the Steelsky.
Gary Dallison Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 16:07:08

The point is lore is quite fluid when it comes to origins, and quite rightly so, as far as the saurials are concerned they come from another land, but without modern technology who knows where that land is precisely.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 14:50:09
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Along similar lines, I remember when we were all wondering if Abeir didn't have a bunch of saurials (as in the Sarrukh were just one form of the early Saurials before the realms split). I rather liked that idea. Granted, the saurials of today and the saurials of Abeir may have diverged heavily over about 30 millenia. Some might even believe that the dragonborn of Abeir came from draconic mating with saurials of certain types. It doesn't have to be true, it could just be a belief in some cultures of Abeir.

I still think the saurials are from a third, unnamed world, and that they couldn't be from Abeir.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 12:05:31
Along similar lines, I remember when we were all wondering if Abeir didn't have a bunch of saurials (as in the Sarrukh were just one form of the early Saurials before the realms split). I rather liked that idea. Granted, the saurials of today and the saurials of Abeir may have diverged heavily over about 30 millenia. Some might even believe that the dragonborn of Abeir came from draconic mating with saurials of certain types. It doesn't have to be true, it could just be a belief in some cultures of Abeir.
Zeromaru X Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 06:07:38
Since I learned about the saurials, I've always had the idea of sending a small delegation to Tymanther. I guess they'll get along with the dragonborn.
Seethyr Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 01:40:54
No problem! Hope you get to use it. The Mother of All was a nasty critter.
shades of eternity Posted - 13 Mar 2019 : 01:21:25
ty kindly. :)
Seethyr Posted - 12 Mar 2019 : 03:20:22
Found it. It’s the Sea Wyvern’s Wake in Dungeon issue 141. I remember that encounter being very memorable.
shades of eternity Posted - 12 Mar 2019 : 00:49:23
sure, I'd be interested in figuring out which dungeon mag it is. :)
Seethyr Posted - 11 Mar 2019 : 00:51:28
I’m not sure which issue it was in exactly but the Dungeon Magazine adventure path “The Savage Tide” has a really great little encounter with a malignant sargasso - I believe known as the “mother of all”, that made a very unique encounter for the high seas. I’d recommend incorporating something similar in any seaborne adventure. Each stranded ship in the sargasso made for a great little mini-location to explore. If I find the issue # and you’re interested I’ll get back to you .

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000