Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pet Names

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alexander Clark Posted - 11 Feb 2019 : 19:48:32
How do people name their pets in Faerun? I am interested in both Human and non-Human cultures.

I found this this thread, but I'd like to know more. :)
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 01 Apr 2019 : 21:06:28
Rolanda Invenweigh (Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 1) got a pet named Fez. Of course, zombie ferret kept by an ex-druid necromancer is not exactly a typical case.
Alexander Clark Posted - 31 Mar 2019 : 19:38:50
I am reading the Finder's Stone series and it mentions a human male carpenter named Shar.
AJA Posted - 30 Mar 2019 : 00:56:25
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I just saw this on Ed's Twitter and figured it was a good follow-up to the secondary conversation;
quote:
Jon Forel @Jon_4L 29 Mar 2019
I forgot there was a character known as Torm the Rogue for a second. I'm sure rumors and bard's tales of his achievements had a number of people confused.

Ed Greenwood @TheEdVerse 29 Mar 2019
Oh, yes. Many, many mortals in the Realms are named after the gods. TSR actively chopped mentions of them from published Realmslore to dispel confusion. There's also a demon AND a devil both named "Astaroth." Can be nasty if your summoning ritual isn't JUST right.

Delnyn Posted - 18 Feb 2019 : 14:33:26
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'd imagine that the names of deities

Won't at least some cultures consider that sacrilegious? Yeah, I know that people in the Realms are generally ok with Humans having names like Torm.

Considering the difference between the thief of the Knights of Myth Drannor (*ahem* he dressed Sylune's clone in naughty articles *ahem*) and the deity, I wonder if there was an inside joke. You may call that a not-so-urgent inquiry to Ed or The Hooded One.
AJA Posted - 14 Feb 2019 : 23:40:54
quote:
Those are good examples, but I will note that it is canon in Ed's Realms for characters to be named for gods. Helm Dwarf-Friend was the ruler of Sundabar, and one of the Knights of Myth Drannor was the rogue named Torm. I'm sure there are others, but those are the two that spring to mind most readily.

Ed has confirmed this several times. He's also noted that TSR excised many of them from his early works because they worried multiples of the same name would "confuse people."

Torm (the human) obviously being an exception because of his status as a Knight of Myth Drannor.

Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Feb 2019 : 18:45:34
Black cat named Shar

Guard dog named Helm

Exotic bird named Waukeen

I can see all that.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2019 : 18:11:22
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

quote:

Won't at least some cultures consider that sacrilegious? Yeah, I know that people in the Realms are generally ok with Humans having names like Torm.

Naming a child with the exact name of a deity might be sacrilege (for a culture that reveres that deity). But naming a child with a name similar to the deity, in honor of the deity, is probably OK.

For example:

A girl name Selene. In honor of Selune.

A boy named Lathandric. In honor of Lathander.

A gnome child named Garlton (like Carlton with a G). In honor of Garl Glittergold.

Those would be very permissible examples…. in my Faerun.

Those are good examples, but I will note that it is canon in Ed's Realms for characters to be named for gods. Helm Dwarf-Friend was the ruler of Sundabar, and one of the Knights of Myth Drannor was the rogue named Torm. I'm sure there are others, but those are the two that spring to mind most readily.
moonbeast Posted - 14 Feb 2019 : 17:06:17
quote:

quote:

Naming a child with the exact name of a deity might be sacrilege (for a culture that reveres that deity). But naming a child with a name similar to the deity, in honor of the deity, is probably OK.

For example:

A girl name Selene. In honor of Selune.

A boy named Lathandric. In honor of Lathander.

A gnome child named Garlton (like Carlton with a G). In honor of Garl Glittergold.

Those would be very permissible examples…. in my Faerun.

Alexander Clark Posted - 12 Feb 2019 : 15:22:11
quote:
Ed recently indicated that yes, a god would pick up on things like referring to to a person or object with the same name as the deity.

Sneaky Helm.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2019 : 14:37:15
quote:

quote:
...Also, there's more than one pantheon. If you're in Mulhorand, naming your cat Bast may or may not be a good thing. In Waterdeep, no one would pay any attention to a cat name Bast.

BTW I remember reading somewhere that gods can hear every conversation that mentions their name. I wonder if that works when somebody talks about their cat named after a god.

Ed recently indicated that yes, a god would pick up on things like referring to to a person or object with the same name as the deity. However, it doesn't sound the same to the deity.

So if my sample NPC Bahb Nounsilver gets a kitten and names it Bast, Bast would hear Bahb when he says the kitten's name. However, this would not sound the same, to the goddess, as a worshiper calling on her or praying to her.

I imagine it's like hearing someone faintly whisper your name, somewhere nearby, as opposed to someone loudly speaking your name as they stand directly in front of you.
Alexander Clark Posted - 12 Feb 2019 : 14:04:18
quote:
...Also, there's more than one pantheon. If you're in Mulhorand, naming your cat Bast may or may not be a good thing. In Waterdeep, no one would pay any attention to a cat name Bast.

BTW I remember reading somewhere that gods can hear every conversation that mentions their name. I wonder if that works when somebody talks about their cat named after a god.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2019 : 03:11:32
quote:

quote:

Sure, some cultures -- or some faiths -- might have an issue with it. But overall, I don't think it would be a major thing.

I seem to recall that in one novel, someone named his horse Cyric. I don't recall the novel or the character, just that horse.
Alexander Clark Posted - 11 Feb 2019 : 22:25:29
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Feb 2019 : 20:40:21
quote:

How do people name their pets in Faerun? I am interested in both Human and non-Human cultures.

I found this this thread, but I'd like to know more. :)

As that thread shows, there really isn't any kind of universal naming scheme for pets. (And I've always thought that the thing with Torm explaining the kitten's name was more him than anything else -- imparting a kind of ceremony and importance to the gifting, making it more meaningful to the child)

I'd imagine that the names of deities, rulers, and legendary characters would get used somewhat frequently, as well as the common standby of naming the pet for some trait like its appearance or behavior.

Aside from that, I'd expect names not too dissimilar to whatever the common names are for people of that race/region.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000