Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Under Illefarn Anew

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ericlboyd Posted - 06 Feb 2019 : 14:34:34
Greetings,

Enjoy.

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/UnderIllefarnAnew.pdf
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/UnderIllefarnAnewAnnotated.pdf

Comments welcome.

--Eric
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AJA Posted - 12 Nov 2019 : 01:16:28
I see what you're saying. That's still a much longer reach than I would have imagined, but I think my real stumbling block is the amount of resources and infrastructure required to build a proper "castle" way out in the middle of undefended nowhere (or even worse, caught between two hostile nowheres).

"more like fortified [scouting] outposts" is a simple linguistic trick that's much easier for me to wrap my head around.

ericlboyd Posted - 12 Nov 2019 : 00:36:40
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

It does (and that extant does seem weird to me!), and I figured you were trying to reconcile that, first with "The borders of the Realm of Three Crowns were much larger than the settled lands incorporated into the various kingdoms, duchies, and baronies" (under the Phalorm entry) and then "Claiming all the territories that had once been part of Phalorm" (Under Delimbyran).

But Dwarves Deep (there on p.56) also says "before turning back north around the western edge of the Moor, which it followed, along a string of now-vanished human castles, north to about where the Way Inn now stands," which still reads as western edge to me?

The problem is I don't see any orcs near the western edge, as I think they were coming from the Greypeaks. So the castles along the western edge were presumably to guard against trolls from the Troll Forest and Trollclaw Hills and monsters on the High Moor. Any castle built to defend against orcs would have to be on the eastern edge and more like fortified outposts. I figure the humans would built these outposts, scout for hordes, and then fall back fighting them across the High Moor giving them plenty of time to shatter each horde in the gorges of the High Moor before they reached civilization.
AJA Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 23:13:58

It does (and that extant does seem weird to me!), and I figured you were trying to reconcile that, first with "The borders of the Realm of Three Crowns were much larger than the settled lands incorporated into the various kingdoms, duchies, and baronies" (under the Phalorm entry) and then "Claiming all the territories that had once been part of Phalorm" (Under Delimbyran).

But Dwarves Deep (there on p.56) also says "before turning back north around the western edge of the Moor, which it followed, along a string of now-vanished human castles, north to about where the Way Inn now stands," which still reads as western edge to me?

ericlboyd Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 22:52:36
As weird as it seems, the kingdom extended to the eastern fringe of the High Moor. See FR11 - Dwarves Deep, page 56.

I always figured the High Moor was more like a controlled buffer zone than actually settled land. All the settled land was west and north of the High Moor.
AJA Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 22:37:18
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
which George and I have fixed by swapping two kings
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
I think their queens are very much nonplussed that they're suddenly sleeping with a new man that knows nothing about them

The Delimbyri were into king-swapping, canon-confirmed. No kinkshaming, sleyvas.

Eric, p.22 (Annotated version, again), it states "To address the recurring orc problem, the king constructed a chain of border castles along the eastern fringe of the High Moor to keep the orcs of that area in check."

It is the eastern fringe of Delimbyran, but surely it should be the western fringe of the High Moor?

sleyvas Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 20:39:29
quote:

AJA caught a small problem in the lineage of the House of Man, which George and I have fixed by swapping two kings. Nonetheless, I need to create version 2.

So, any edits you want to share? Please send by the end of the week. (PM me if you don't have my email.)

--Eric

I think their queens are very much nonplussed that they're suddenly sleeping with a new man that knows nothing about them.... well, the first one is anyway. That other one was seen to be smiling... and all his mistresses seem VERY irritated.
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 17:23:43
Oh, next week is fine if you need some more time.

It's only two long dead kings in another world. It's not THAT urgent. ;-)

--Eric
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 14:50:48
quote:

AJA caught a small problem in the lineage of the House of Man, which George and I have fixed by swapping two kings. Nonetheless, I need to create version 2.

So, any edits you want to share? Please send by the end of the week. (PM me if you don't have my email.)

--Eric

I've got several... I've been slowly perusing the adventure.

Unfortunately, I've been doing it at work... And I'm off this week. I'll have to remote in to grab that file.
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Nov 2019 : 13:01:28

--Eric
ericlboyd Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 13:10:10
Glad you like it!

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I'm just now seeing this. Very well done, Eric!

Matt James Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 16:43:37
I'm just now seeing this. Very well done, Eric!
ericlboyd Posted - 28 Jul 2019 : 10:59:53
quote:
Originally posted by rodrigoalcanza

Hello everyone! Eric, thank you so much for this very valuable book. It is a very high quality work. Congratulations. It's impressive!

Unfortunately I am only having access to the material recently. Questions: Why is the book dated in 2014 when the book was released now in 2019? And why are the rules in 3.5 and not in 5th edition? (No problem with the 3rd edition, just to know).

Sorry for my english.

I wrote it a while ago, but only decided to post it recently.

I'm much more comfortable with 3.5e than 5e. (Not knocking 5e.) Plus, so much more material was published for 3.5e, there's a lot more to play with, rules-wise.
rodrigoalcanza Posted - 28 Jul 2019 : 06:53:50
Hello everyone! Eric, thank you so much for this very valuable book. It is a very high quality work. Congratulations. It's impressive!

Unfortunately I am only having access to the material recently. Questions: Why is the book dated in 2014 when the book was released now in 2019? And why are the rules in 3.5 and not in 5th edition? (No problem with the 3rd edition, just to know).

Sorry for my english.
ericlboyd Posted - 22 Jul 2019 : 01:30:27
Glad you are enjoying it.

The "lost well" was meant to build off FR11 Dwarves Deep, page 59. My thought is there was once a sixth well which was abandoned / forgotten / buried under mysterious circumstances. It's up to you if you want to take that hook and run with it, but I am unlikely to develop it further for a long time.

The "army of goblins and orcs led by hobgoblins in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR)" was meant to build off Prayers from the Faithful, page 37.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Hello

I'm reading Under Illefarn Anew and I love it very much.

I was intriguing about the "lost well" :

"The lost well was overrun by an army of goblins and orcs led by hobgoblins in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR), but no trace of the dwarven population was ever found."

Is there something more about it ?

Edit : sorry, I've not seen the note.

Asharak Posted - 21 Jul 2019 : 17:38:20
So the right question is : what's well is the lost one ?

The large ones are Thelarn's Fist, Sabrishon, and Iritasker. The smaller ones are Uestingpool and Tunthryn.
Asharak Posted - 21 Jul 2019 : 17:08:04
Hello

I'm reading Under Illefarn Anew and I love it very much.

I was intriguing about the "lost well" :

"The lost well was overrun by an army of goblins and orcs led by hobgoblins in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR), but no trace of the dwarven population was ever found."

Is there something more about it ?

Edit : sorry, I've not seen the note.
Cards77 Posted - 05 Jun 2019 : 01:41:16
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

My new copy arrived!

Awesome!

https://imgur.com/a/OfsUfvW

Where/how did you print this? Did they bind it as well? Looks great.

I can't recall the place. They did bind it. Just google custom printing and binding. It was simple, just upload the PDF, etc.

Ozreth Posted - 02 Jun 2019 : 02:37:21
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

My new copy arrived!

Awesome!

https://imgur.com/a/OfsUfvW

Where/how did you print this? Did they bind it as well? Looks great.
ericlboyd Posted - 13 May 2019 : 02:40:21
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thank you!

Anyone else have edits or suggestions?

I'm slowly working my way through reading this one, and I've been compiling a list of edits. Mostly just things like a missing word here or a dropped parenthesis there.

Sounds great! Can't wait to see them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 May 2019 : 02:17:03
quote:

Thank you!

I'm slowly working my way through reading this one, and I've been compiling a list of edits. Mostly just things like a missing word here or a dropped parenthesis there.
ericlboyd Posted - 12 May 2019 : 22:13:48
Thank you!

Gary Dallison Posted - 12 May 2019 : 20:42:00
Something i just noticed.

On page 117 the term Balduran fisherfolk appears on line 21-22, but the Everwinking Eye article - Words to the Wise - states that the place nomenclature for Baldur's Gate is Baldurian (never Balduran, for to misuse the founder's name is to insult his memory and the city).

ericlboyd Posted - 09 May 2019 : 18:12:11
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

As promised (?), here are a few notes for playing in the 15th century. I don't own either Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle or Scourge of the Sword Coast (I had to pester a friend for the references), but if you want some in-deep info about NPCs and places, just ask.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqypywqAVQ-b7s9dR8htbHnJVtA0meV-/view?usp=drivesdk

Very nicely done!
Barastir Posted - 09 May 2019 : 17:34:51
Cool, thank you!
Zeromaru X Posted - 08 May 2019 : 17:49:39
As promised (?), here are a few notes for playing in the 15th century. I don't own either Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle or Scourge of the Sword Coast (I had to pester a friend for the references), but if you want some in-deep info about NPCs and places, just ask.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqypywqAVQ-b7s9dR8htbHnJVtA0meV-/view?usp=drivesdk

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000