Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Speculation: Sea of Fallen Stars Sourcebook 2019?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 08:02:25
So at the moment Wizards are play Testing Naval adventures rules with their Unearthed Arcana article

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/ships-and-sea

and then theres this from D&D minis line..

"The Falling Star Sailing ship"

https://shop.goodgames.com.au/miniatures/pre-painted/dungeons-and-dragons/preorder-d-d-icons-of-the-realms-the-falling-star-sailing-ship-jan-2019-rrp-350.html

Sea of Fallen Stars Source Book or Adventure incoming in 2019?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gelcur Posted - 16 Feb 2019 : 08:05:40
Just got my "The Falling Star Sailing Ship" in today. It is good but nothing amazing, especially at $250 price. Big, beautiful but a bit boring. The masts, stairs, main, forecastle and quarterdeck make for interesting heights and 3D play. Aside from under the forecastle and quarterdeck there are no layers in the ship. They ship two more "decks", lower deck and hold, as cut outs to place next to the ship.

Seems WizKids is overpriced. At a hundred dollars less this would be a great toy. At this price not worth it. When will I learn my lesson size and looks are not the only things that matter.
killerasus Posted - 20 Jan 2019 : 08:48:56
I was just checking my campaign date (set to 1492 DR), and Alaundo's (or Augathra) name for that year is The Year of Three Ships Sailing.

Just speculating, but maybe this will be the year the adventure/campaign module is set.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jan 2019 : 02:43:24
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

The "Under the Sea" cover was a joke, based on a song of the same name in a Disney movie. :) They described the book as "nautical", which suggests indicates ships and high-seas adventure to me.

Ah, that makes more sense.
Rils Posted - 14 Jan 2019 : 19:37:24
The "Under the Sea" cover was a joke, based on a song of the same name in a Disney movie. :) They described the book as "nautical", which suggests indicates ships and high-seas adventure to me.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Jan 2019 : 15:48:05
I'm kinda surprised about the "Under the sea" thing. While I would love to see Serôs get a proper update*, I'm still of the opinion that such a thing is going to be less valuable to the average gamer than something focusing on another above-water region. Don't get me wrong; The Sea of Fallen Stars is a personal fave -- I just think that underwater regions aren't going to get as much use in the average campaign as regular, land destinations.

*Saying I hope for a proper update is obviously pure optimism; the updates we've had have not been all that, compared to what we used to get.
Gelcur Posted - 09 Jan 2019 : 08:04:24
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

LOL Australian pesos.

I have mine pre-ordered for less than $199 American dinars. People need to shop around. I can count at least 5 online official distributors for Wizards of the Coast (D&D) products. At least a couple of them will pre-sale these things for way less than the MSRP. It's not a cheap product. But it's a gorgeous limited edition masterpiece item, I see it as a very good investment. I could always eBay it 10 years from now…. fetching possibly $1000. Hahaha.

Hey thanks for the heads up on the pricing. I've been eyeing the ship for over a month now but been reluctant to pull the trigger, but at that price. I think I can justify it.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I will say, though, that I'm glad WotC has gotten off the "you don't just need minis to play, you need OUR minis!" thing they had going for a while. Not only did I have an issue with the blatant "you have to give us more money!" thing, I thought it wasted page count, the way they tied minis usage into the adventures.

The wasted page counts I can agree with 100%, I also disliked the you need OUR minis. What I really wish is rather than selling me random booster packs to go with adventure books. Or a bunch of junk, looking at you Dragon Heist City of the Dead head stones. They would sell me a pack of all the major NPC/monsters/villains. Say 10 minis for I don't know $40? I'd have paid another $80-$100 for a 1/2 city block street that you can move buildings and alleys around to make different Waterdeep street scenes.
Dargoth Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 05:43:17
and the confirmation

quote:

Dungeons & Dragons will be getting wet with their first publication release of 2019.

Nathan Stewart and Kate Welch confirmed today on D&D's Twitch channel that their upcoming book would have at least some nautical themes. The new publication is scheduled for a Spring 2019 release.

While no title or details were revealed on Stewart and Welch's monthly Twitch show, Welch did show off four mock covers, each of which featured different water-themed titles like "Under the Sea" and "Long Walk, Short Plank" as well as covers showing off different nautical or sea-themed artwork. Most of the cover art was a joke, but one did use official Wizards of the Coast art of a sea serpent, which we used for this article's header.

A description on all four books read "Everything you need to float your boat for the world's greatest roleplaying game." Although the reveal was lighthearted, ComicBook.com confirmed that the teases weren't entirely a joke and that the upcoming book would have at least some nautical elements.

Interestingly, the D&D team released a playtest late last year titled "Ships & the Sea" which was about exploration and roleplaying options on a boat. The playtest included roles that players could take on while sailing, as well as rules for controlling ships. The most interesting part of the new rules were that boats were given their own monster statblocks, complete with Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. Given the recency of that playtest, we wouldn't be surprised if the new rules were featured in this upcoming product.

Stewart also confirmed that the D&D team planned to release three projects in 2019, including releases planned for the spring, summer, and fall. The game's new adventure will also be revealed at a now annual streaming event that will be held in Los Angeles in May.

The new book, according to Welch, is at the final editors and will likely be sent to the printer in February. We'll likely get an official announcement about the next Dungeons & Dragons book soon.

Thanks to Zeromaru X for the catch!
moonbeast Posted - 01 Dec 2018 : 09:59:39
quote:
Has WotC "previewed" upcoming book releases with minis before? I don't really pay much attention to the minis side of things...

Well I collect the 5th Edition minis…. so here's my take:

It's hard to say if WotC has "previewed" future book/adventure releases with the minis. It's chronologically convoluted. Why?

Because #1, WizKids is the licensee that makes the official D&D miniatures. And thus when and on which schedule WizKids chooses to release their minis is up to WizKids, not really controlled by WotC.

And #2, WizKids D&D miniatures release have a tendency to be delayed. As in, they ship many months later than they were originally anticipated based on early teasers or rumors. So that right there means that the miniatures release is often "out-of-sync" with the release schedule for WotC's own adventure campaigns (e.g. Princes of the Apocalypse). The minis are modeled, painted and made in China, and the final boxed booster packs are shipped from China to the States. So that may explain some of the timing delays and logistical problems of getting the products ready for retail.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Nov 2018 : 23:44:15
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

That ship mini is very cool, and I'd be inclined to get one, if it wasn't for the price.

Has WotC "previewed" upcoming book releases with minis before? I don't really pay much attention to the minis side of things...

I will say, though, that I'm glad WotC has gotten off the "you don't just need minis to play, you need OUR minis!" thing they had going for a while. Not only did I have an issue with the blatant "you have to give us more money!" thing, I thought it wasted page count, the way they tied minis usage into the adventures.

Around 80% of the 5E era mini sets have been named after corresponding Modules/source books the latest one was Dragon heist the next one was Dungeon of the Mad Mage etc

Yes, but were those actually "preview" names? As in, the name of the mini sets were released before any info about a corresponding module or sourcebook?
moonbeast Posted - 26 Nov 2018 : 10:02:19
LOL Australian pesos.

I have mine pre-ordered for less than $199 American dinars. People need to shop around. I can count at least 5 online official distributors for Wizards of the Coast (D&D) products. At least a couple of them will pre-sale these things for way less than the MSRP. It's not a cheap product. But it's a gorgeous limited edition masterpiece item, I see it as a very good investment. I could always eBay it 10 years from now…. fetching possibly $1000. Hahaha.

Indeed, the name of the ship is indeed The Falling Star. But this is NOTHING NEW. Nor does it necessarily predict some kind of Sea of Fallen Stars book in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they published a Sea of Fallen Stars campaign book for 5E.

This fabled named ship was actually from an old WotC product, I believe it was one of the published tactical maps inside a sourcebook from either 3rd or 4th Edition. And the official ship deckplan/map had been illustrated by Mike Schley, Mike is one of the official cartographers (map illustrators) for D&D. See the IMAGE LINK (Mike's illustration) as I post it below:

https://pro2-bar-s3-cdn-cf2.myportfolio.com/b6995f0dd8973d41d32271aa7bc4c60a/32b21954e89c6fea43ba18ad_rw_1920.jpg

https://mikeschley.com/isometric-cutaway-maps
Dargoth Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 21:25:34
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

that is beautiful... but $350?

Bear in mind that figure is in Australian Pesos so its got the Exchange rate and the "Australia Tax"
sleyvas Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 20:50:19
that is beautiful... but $350?
Dargoth Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 19:29:05
quote:

That ship mini is very cool, and I'd be inclined to get one, if it wasn't for the price.

Around 80% of the 5E era mini sets have been named after corresponding Modules/source books the latest one was Dragon heist the next one was Dungeon of the Mad Mage etc
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 17:38:50

George Krashos Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 16:11:01
Very interesting.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 14:49:40
Yes, you've ranted again, and you mentioned the word generic oft enough to make it clear that you've not touched any of the 5E books but are willing to pass judgement on them anyway.

The 5E FR books have certainly not had the amount of lore we could wish for, but they've not been generic. There has been plenty of room for improvement, certainly, and they remain a little too willing to play fast and loose with prior canon... But these are all specific complaints from someone who has read the material -- not generic complaints from someone who won't touch it.

Myself, I expect that if they do revisit the Sea of Fallen Stars area, it'll be more of a revisit of the Pirates of the Fallen Stars sourcebook than the Sea of Fallen Stars one. As much as I love the latter and think it was one of the best products of the 2E period, there is the simple fact that more adventures are going to happen on the high seas, rather than below them.

I'd expect a chapter or two just on the coastal areas, one on the islands, one giving a broad overview and update of Myth Nantar and the surrounding areas, and the rest would be rules for seafaring characters, for ships, for combat on and between ships, and a section for going underwater. There would likely be an adventure, too, involving piracy and the PCs having to try to recover something and stumbling across a larger plot that will have them criss-crossing the sea before heading to Myth Nantar.

I wonder if Jorunhast is still around?
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Nov 2018 : 10:10:09
Well if that is their next sourcebooks they are competing against one of the best sourcebooks made during the Steven Schend period. It turned a very underdeveloped region into one of the most detailed in a single awesome book packed with shipwrecks, lost magic, ancient enemies, and plenty of tie ins to existing lore.

However given wotc recent run of books this will be a generic trope of kidnapped by generic pirates and sailing the generic high seas battling generic monsters and dodging generic naval warships before battling the generic pirate admiral in a generic pirate base, but it will have some realmsian names so that makes it okay for FR.

Oh dear, I appear to have ranted again. Did I mention the word generic enough to give an overall likely atmosphere for the book based upon all previous books produced for this edition

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000