Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Next 5e sourcebook will have nautical themes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeromaru X Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 02:00:20
quote:
Dungeons & Dragons will be getting wet with their first publication release of 2019.

Nathan Stewart and Kate Welch confirmed today on D&D's Twitch channel that their upcoming book would have at least some nautical themes. The new publication is scheduled for a Spring 2019 release.

While no title or details were revealed on Stewart and Welch's monthly Twitch show, Welch did show off four mock covers, each of which featured different water-themed titles like "Under the Sea" and "Long Walk, Short Plank" as well as covers showing off different nautical or sea-themed artwork. Most of the cover art was a joke, but one did use official Wizards of the Coast art of a sea serpent, which we used for this article's header.

A description on all four books read "Everything you need to float your boat for the world's greatest roleplaying game." Although the reveal was lighthearted, ComicBook.com confirmed that the teases weren't entirely a joke and that the upcoming book would have at least some nautical elements.

Interestingly, the D&D team released a playtest late last year titled "Ships & the Sea" which was about exploration and roleplaying options on a boat. The playtest included roles that players could take on while sailing, as well as rules for controlling ships. The most interesting part of the new rules were that boats were given their own monster statblocks, complete with Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. Given the recency of that playtest, we wouldn't be surprised if the new rules were featured in this upcoming product.

Stewart also confirmed that the D&D team planned to release three projects in 2019, including releases planned for the spring, summer, and fall. The game's new adventure will also be revealed at a now annual streaming event that will be held in Los Angeles in May.

The new book, according to Welch, is at the final editors and will likely be sent to the printer in February. We'll likely get an official announcement about the next Dungeons & Dragons book soon.

There's nothing that says it will be something Realmsian, but as the Realms are 5e main setting... What do you think? Sea of the Fallen Stars? Moonshaes?

Source:
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/04/dungeons-and-dragons-2019-book-nautical/
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 14:50:15
Meh, I don't see that happening, mainly because of the 3E sourcebook that turned neogi into groundling pirates. The book openly acknowledged -- and then brushed to the side, as if it was inconsequential -- the fact that neogi were known for their flying ships.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 14:09:44
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if they went into some non-standard "nautical" things as well, such as introducing the base concept of spelljammer, just to see where it goes. They've already mentioned the astral dreadnoughts or whatever of the githyanki in Mord's Tome of Foes, and stardock and the ship in the latest waterdeep adventure. Also, given the name, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the "Falling Star" sailing ship has been enhanced with a spacefaring helm. They could thus go on a short sojourn discovery into say the moon/tears and maybe even some nearby planets of realmspace (especially given that some of these planets, Karpri and Chandos, are water worlds and Coliar is an air world with essentially "earth and water islands" floating about).

Mind you, I'm not expecting that, but it could be an interesting aside for a good 10-15 pages if they wanted to do that which might open them up to future projects if they get some favorable responses. It could also be a web add on for the product to cut costs.
moonbeast Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 07:07:04
Cry havoc, and let slip the Thayan armadas!

TomCosta Posted - 08 Jan 2019 : 02:29:52
The Falling Star sailing ship is one of the next "minis" for D&D, https://www.phdgames.com/dd-icons-realms-falling-star-sailing-ship-wizkids/, so I'd say definitely the Sea of Fallen Stars....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000