Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Intigrating Little Bears into the Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shades of eternity Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 10:39:54

Here's a 5e race that I made for my game.
They are known as little bears
http://www.drevrpg.com/2018/12/drevrpg-5e-new-years-eve-special-little.html

While I built them for my homeworld, any suggestions on to put them in the Forgotten Realms and how would their culture change?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shades of eternity Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 15:30:35
The main reason I did this race is I wanted to see if a species with +2 str that was small was feasible.

My original setting was post-post-apocalyptic North America and since I'm Canadian (and little bears fit a lot of the archetype) they went in Manitoba initially because 1. that's where the hundred-acre woods is and 2. Churchill Manitoba is a place where polar bears congregate.

combine this with a heavy dose of 80's media (where it's somewhat surprising how often small bear protagonists show up ;)) and blamo: Little Bears as adventurers.

I didn't just watch gummi bears. They are the basis for one of the variants. :D

fun fact

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-rob-replaces-all-elves-with-gummi-bears.309673/

When you replace elves with gummi bears, it makes most worlds more awesome. :D

As for places to put them, I'm thinking the following:

1. The High Forest: a boreal forest is kinda their original conceptual habitat and that's a good example.
2. Yuirwood thanks to sleyvas and for same reasons
3. Rasheman thanks to sleyvas and for same reasons
4. the great glacier, especially the polar bear variant.
5. Sossail is kinda perfect for little polar bears as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 14:48:31
The Midgard setting has bearfolk, though they're not little.

I'd ask what the point of bringing in little bear people would be, but then I might have to explain my fascination with kercpa...
sleyvas Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 14:25:32
Oh, and regarding the concept of full sized bear folk in the realms and smaller versions, one thing I'd note would be maybe the two civilizations lived near one another at one time (kind of like halflings and humans living alongside one another). I'd been playing with the idea that some of the bear folk were pushed underground like the drow, kuo-toa, and other races. These became the quaggoth (who ARE known as the Deep Bears). So, possibly sometime in the past there was some movement against them. Some of them fled underground. Some of them hid on the surface. This might very much fit with the Yuirwood beings worshipping Magnar the Bear. Also, to stick into this idea... werebears, the Rus berserkers shapechanging into bears, etc...
TBeholder Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 13:18:29
Little bears? Well...
sleyvas Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 12:43:41
So, the ones written up there seem to be country bear mountain folk with access to electricity, but then you also have a group known as the Jumpi

Ever watch the Disney Gummy Bears TV series?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Adventures_of_the_Gummi_Bears

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Adventures_of_the_Gummi_Bears

That might provide some inspiration since you're in essence looking for roughly large teddy bear sized creatures set in a medieval setting. Granted, that's very kiddy, but the general concept works. Now, as to where to locate them? I wouldn't be surprised to find some of them deep in the Yuirwood still worshipping Magnar the Bear. I also wouldn't be surprised to find them in the forests of Rashemen. There's also been people who have wanted to include the ursine folk, or rather full size bear folk, in the realms, and I like that concept in far off, little visited areas like Sossal, the northern Hordelands, and other continents.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000