Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ethically Questionable Elven Return Faction

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sylrae Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 04:29:52
So, I'm reworking Dragon Heist for an upcoming campaign, for a more sandboxy setup using 'Fronts' to drive the plotlines, and I'm thinking of some ideas for a nebulously ethical elven return faction.

Here's my thoughts (rough):

>A bunch of sun-elves seem to be behind most of it.
> They're collecting useful people from ancient elven empires and bringing them back in the present, in order to rebuild elven numbers and rebuild an elven empire.
> Some, they're attempting to resurrect conventionally. For those they need who refuse in the present or cannot be found, well, they've found a time gate, and are being very careful to pluck people who did not get resurrected, after their deaths, with a sort of trap the soul + clone setup if necessary.
> They're building mythallars and cities in secret, in custom demiplanes. They have a large collection of Kiira.
> The basic plan is to use demiplanes where time passes more quickly in tandem with mythallars that slow down or halt aging at adulthood (amongst other effects), to build a variety of large elven cities, and then - much like thultanthar, shift them back onto Toril.
> Should they succeed, elves would be major political players in Toril again.
> Possible twist: The whole thing is an elaborate plot by Sarya Dlardrageth, and she set the whole thing in motion using spies and a resurrected Saelethil Dlardrageth's knowledge to get the ball rolling? More goodly elves want to produce benevolent elven nations, but she's looking at bringing back a new Siluvanede, and she's had a large headstart on the process.

I dunno I'm mostly spitballing rough ideas. I'm sure they could use work. Anybody have any suggestions? What do you think?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sylrae Posted - 02 Jan 2019 : 00:11:59
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Bringing in elves from another world would work for some of them for sure, but the Daemonfey in particular want their house of fiendish hybrids loyal to their own feudal nobility, and they wouldn't get that from random refugees.

Er... How do you think feudalism works?
The greatest problem is having a noble in charge who has a claim, but is not officially branded as an icky poo mixed blood.
But if they have one, he just needs to become aware of the events "above" and throw some family gold into a personal spelljamming fleet to evacuate refugees from under orcs' axes.
Nobody will dare to doubt him aloud just because the inevitable result is rebuilding an elf realm on the mainland that a few millennia ago was involved in some incidents elves pretend to forget now.

Of course, the reason for founding Eaerlann and presumably escalation that led to Dlardrageth breeding program in the first place was Siluvanede already being under suspicion back then...
But things changed. After the whole Kymil's conspiracy is rooted out, most won't suspect gold elves neither related to it in any way nor too uppity in being a Vyshaan restoration movement.
That also offers an easy talking point, especially vs. Gold: "See? This madness is where unhealthy obsession with digging in the past leads! Elves must also look forward to something!"
Which also may be useful for Fey'ri infiltrators to recruit pure-blood gold elves for projects that look legitimate, why not.

All very interesting points. I think getting elves to go along with political moves is quite possible, I meant that getting the refugees to breed with fiends to increase the magical power of the state seems like a hard sell, outside of house dlardrageth, or perhaps a dlardrageth / drow alliance of some kind.
Sylrae Posted - 01 Jan 2019 : 22:17:33
quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

Is this set in 5e?

More or less, yeah. 5e with a couple major houserules and some homebrew and some DM's Guild Content and some 3PP. Good chance I'll also eventually end up expanding my spell collection with spells from 2e & 3e that aren't present in 5e.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jan 2019 : 16:53:21
quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

Is this set in 5e? In regards to using a bunch of Daern's Instant Fortresses, the spell Mighty Fortress from Xanathar's Guide to Everything could be a suitable replacement. Would save on the construction of magical items, though would require repeated castings daily to maintain...

The strength of the multiple fortresses is in versatility and hardness to remove. One dispel magic can get rid of a mighty fortress, because it isn't a permanent structure. It also is of a particular conformity, so, if for instance, you wanted to setup something in a relatively narrow area, etc... you'd have issues. So, for instance, the enemy's castle might be on a hilltop with a narrow road for entry. You might be able to drop 3 instant fortresses in front of their drawbridge and start pummeling their gatehouse. Then drop a wall leading down the road to anchor into a tower at the back and put another wall lengthwise back there. Now you've got a wall to hide behind an load soldiers into moving them forward to invade a castle. Furthermore, the idea is of advancing a fortress INTO an opposing fortress during a battle.

For instance, you knock in a wall, plop down a tower in the wreckage, and connect it back to your fortress. Then knock in the next wall and rinse/repeat. You've now got your structure in their most secure area where maybe their keep is, and from your latest tower drop, you might even be able to basically drop something equivalent to a drawbridge (or magical bridge to cover a gap) and invade their central keep from the top.

That being said, if you have a high enough caster to create the mighty fortress spell, so much the better, and it would be a great addition to this assault, possibly reducing the need for as many instant fortresses/instant curtain walls. That's assuming that the area can support it (i.e. the opposing castle isn't dominating on a hilltop, etc...)

Basically, think of it like some of the tactics you may have used in such strategy games as Warcraft wherein you build a tower instantly in an enemy's territories and suddenly its raining death upon anyone who comes close.
Balmar Foghaven Posted - 01 Jan 2019 : 05:04:40
Is this set in 5e? In regards to using a bunch of Daern's Instant Fortresses, the spell Mighty Fortress from Xanathar's Guide to Everything could be a suitable replacement. Would save on the construction of magical items, though would require repeated castings daily to maintain...
AuldDragon Posted - 01 Jan 2019 : 02:00:19
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I don't suppose you know the name of that Dragon article, it may come in handy for me later

I looked at it again, and it isn't quite what I recalled. The author treated all the goblinoids and demihumans as hominids, disregarding the descriptions in the game to an extension. The article is "Humanoid Races in Review" by Gregory G.H. Rihn, issue #44, p.16. It was part of a series of related articles about fantasy genetics, in response to an article by Gary Gygax in Dragon #29. In this article, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, and kobolds are considered Australopithecus species, while orcs are part of Homo.

Part 2 of the series (same issue) was by Roger Moore, with information about half-orc combos with other goblinoids, including orc-kobolds, orc-goblins, orc-hobgoblins, orc-gnolls, orc-bugbears, and orc-ogres. While Roger Moore mentions that "orcs can breed with almost anything," these articles do show that from the point of the view of these authors, there is a pretty clear relationship between the five major "goblinoid" races.

Jeff
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 15:34:16
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I don't suppose you know the name of that Dragon article, it may come in handy for me later

Prolly not, since they've changed everything with every edition since then. In particular, kobolds are an entirely different critter, now.
Gary Dallison Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 15:15:38
AuldDragon Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 14:42:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Weird: I was looking at the spelljammer wiki, http://spelljammer.wikia.com/wiki/Scro which calls them out as a type of goblinoid, which made me think "more like hobgoblins"

Ah. Goblinoid was kind of the equivalent of "demihuman" -- a catchall phrase that did not denote actual relationships between the races.

It did denote actual relationships though. During 1e and 2e, orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, and kobolds were considered to be related to each other, with ogres, gnolls, and mongrelmen sometimes included (or included in the alternate term "goblin-kin"). There was even a Dragon article in 1e that gave "scientific names" to them, and showed their connections, similar to ancient hominids.

Jeff
TBeholder Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 13:07:39
quote:

Bringing in elves from another world would work for some of them for sure, but the Daemonfey in particular want their house of fiendish hybrids loyal to their own feudal nobility, and they wouldn't get that from random refugees.

Er... How do you think feudalism works?
The greatest problem is having a noble in charge who has a claim, but is not officially branded as an icky poo mixed blood.
But if they have one, he just needs to become aware of the events "above" and throw some family gold into a personal spelljamming fleet to evacuate refugees from under orcs' axes.
Nobody will dare to doubt him aloud just because the inevitable result is rebuilding an elf realm on the mainland that a few millennia ago was involved in some incidents elves pretend to forget now.

Of course, the reason for founding Eaerlann and presumably escalation that led to Dlardrageth breeding program in the first place was Siluvanede already being under suspicion back then...
But things changed. After the whole Kymil's conspiracy is rooted out, most won't suspect gold elves neither related to it in any way nor too uppity in being a Vyshaan restoration movement.
That also offers an easy talking point, especially vs. Gold: "See? This madness is where unhealthy obsession with digging in the past leads! Elves must also look forward to something!"
Which also may be useful for Fey'ri infiltrators to recruit pure-blood gold elves for projects that look legitimate, why not.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 12:52:56
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
{tactical use of } Daern's Instant Fortress.

I really like that idea for when they start attacking their enemies, or to employ in defense if they come under attack. That's a really cool idea.

quote:
United Tharchs of Toril idea.

I've been toying with the idea of having a "New Thay" crop up elsewhere. Several Zulkirs survived after they stopped Tam's world destroying ritual, right? I don't remember them dying, and that's my most recent source on Thay's exiled Zulkirs that I'm familiar with.

Yeah, my idea goes in several directions. Essentially, when portions of Toril went to Abeir, for instance over in Anchorome, Maztica, and Katashaka, there were some fledgling Thayan trade enclaves being established. So, for the past 100 years, they've grown, expanded, etc... but in Abeir. These trade enclaves turned into "tharchs" and they began calling themselves "the United Tharchs of Toril". Also, within Faerun, portions of Western Chessenta, the Shaar, Laothkund, etc... that were thought to have simply been destroyed by Faerunians were instead transferred to Abeir. When the Underchasm filled in, it was these lands returning.

My idea would also have this new "Thay" be less irresponsible and outright evil. Also, since the various tharchs aren't directly connected, governance of each Tharch has its own council of mages, etc...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 10:10:13
quote:

quote:
I'm not sure what source says the scro are like goblins...

You need to read the wiki entry on scro. In short, they are descended from orcs, but they've become far more advanced and built a strong, militaristic society. They're stronger, smarter, better educated, better organized, better trained, dedicated to their society as a whole, and just generally better than orcs in every possible way. Even hobgoblins have nothing on scro.

Weird: I was looking at the spelljammer wiki, http://spelljammer.wikia.com/wiki/Scro which calls them out as a type of goblinoid, which made me think "more like hobgoblins"

Ah. Goblinoid was kind of the equivalent of "demihuman" -- a catchall phrase that did not denote actual relationships between the races.
Sylrae Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 07:09:17
quote:

You need to read the wiki entry on scro. In short, they are descended from orcs, but they've become far more advanced and built a strong, militaristic society. They're stronger, smarter, better educated, better organized, better trained, dedicated to their society as a whole, and just generally better than orcs in every possible way. Even hobgoblins have nothing on scro.

quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

You might want to check Paul Westermeyer's "Guide to the Spheres" as it can give you some planet names that got mentioned in the novels and other products, including ones that fell to the goblinoids and scro in the first and second Unhuman Wars:
http://www.spelljammer.org/worlds/articles/SphereGuide/Guide%20to%20the%20Spheres.pdf

Nice! Thanks!
AuldDragon Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 04:54:25
You might want to check Paul Westermeyer's "Guide to the Spheres" as it can give you some planet names that got mentioned in the novels and other products, including ones that fell to the goblinoids and scro in the first and second Unhuman Wars:
http://www.spelljammer.org/worlds/articles/SphereGuide/Guide%20to%20the%20Spheres.pdf

Jeff
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2018 : 04:26:44
quote:

As an aside: The Scro. They look like orcs. But theyre not orcs. It says they're more like goblins. Are they basically just somewhat orcy looking hobgoblins? Just curious.

Sylrae Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 23:31:23
quote:
You're pretty much free to make up whatever you need.

As for loyalty to the fey'ri... Why wouldn't refugees show loyalty to someone who rescued them and gave them a new home and a chance to stand tall again? If the fey'ri grabbed elves from a world about to fall to the scro -- or worse, one where the scro had conquered and enslaved the elves -- why wouldn't those elves be loyal to their saviors?

In fact, here's an idea: a handful of fey'ri travel to an elven world (or at least an elven outpost). They integrate into the society, either as travelers making a new home or by posing as locals. They work their way into prominent, trusted positions... And that's when the second group of fey'ri either inflitrates or allies with a scro fleet, and leads them to attack the elves. One of the fey'ri that's posing as an elven leader produces a scroll or something that's supposed to provide aid, and it opens a portal that the elves can flee thru. You get elves where you need them, and they're already loyal to the fey'ri -- they just don't know about it, and can be kept ignorant.

The benefit of using refugees or otherwise getting elves from other worlds is that with a simple portal, you can get anywhere from a handful of elves to thousands. And the more you get, the better able to build a new society they would be -- you'd be getting the crafters and the workers, the administrative types, spouses, children, soldiers -- everything. And that's just from one portal.

I really like this idea, and I think I will definitely incorporate it.

quote:
Your idea of grabbing elves from ancient empires could work, but you'd be using a hell of a lot of magic to get one or two at a time. And it ignores a lot of existing info on time travel in the Realms, most of which amounts to "you can't change anything and you can't remove something from its time." My suggestion gives you thousands of elves, with less of a magical expenditure, and does it without breaking anything previously written.

They still find themselves in need of high mages and experts on mythals that are loyal to them, however, and getting ahold of someone like Morthil, who has the magical expertise to shift a city from Faerun to a Demiplane would be very useful for doing the inverse, building up a city in a demiplane, and then once it's established, plopping it down on a chunk of Faerun - Of course, it may be tactically beneficial to keep the cities in their own demiplanes, but then you risk the same problem Yuireshenyar / the Sildeyuir, where the demiplane starts getting conquered and merged into another plane. I suppose it depends which they figure is the larger threat - but when the time is right, I can see themselves wanting to plop themselves down on Faerun and start making political plays.

As for the restrictions on time travel, That was why I figured they'd want to grab a few of them at their moment of death (people with key skills that are hard to find in the modern day - though Saelethil Dlardrageth could work as their Mythal expert, and he could realistically just be resurrected. It's mostly someone like Morthil I can think of that they would really need, for the citywide planeshifting ritual magic, but I suppose they could get that elsewhere), and then safeguard them and hold off until the present before plopping them in bodies. Preserves the timeline on the mortal plane, and I figured the weave and Mystra's time Travel restrictions isn't likely present in Arvandor outside the prime. I was thinking of the bit on the restrictions on time travel in Cormanthyr Empire of Elves, as well as that WOTC article about the historical society that sends concealed construct drones into the past to observe historical events and record video of them, and then wait in a cave to be recovered in the present. Raw personnel collection via Scro refugees would be good for getting elves for their new settlement(s), I think the trick would be getting them on board with their fiend-breeding program they use to make mages who can more easily cast high magic without a circle, without dying. But, maybe they could get them on board with that as part of defense in the war against the Scro.

Lets say they want to shift whole cities into the prime down the road. Morthil and Telemont Tanthul are the mages I can think of who know how to do that (which are, of course both dead). But then, Gith Pirates can do that with ships. Is that a particularly rare magical ability, or is that not as fancy a trick as I'm thinking it is?

As an aside: The Scro. They look like orcs. But theyre not orcs. It says they're more like goblins. Are they basically just somewhat orcy looking hobgoblins? Just curious.

-----

quote:
{tactical use of } Daern's Instant Fortress.

I really like that idea for when they start attacking their enemies, or to employ in defense if they come under attack. That's a really cool idea.

quote:
United Tharchs of Toril idea.

I've been toying with the idea of having a "New Thay" crop up elsewhere. Several Zulkirs survived after they stopped Tam's world destroying ritual, right? I don't remember them dying, and that's my most recent source on Thay's exiled Zulkirs that I'm familiar with.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 19:10:54
sidebar notes on the above. I'm looking at some people complaining on the design of the item on the web. One person wants to "drop it from the sky", but the item clearly states "you put the item on the ground and speak the command word". It shouldn't expand unless the ground is stable enough to support it in my book. The second option was someone using it repeatedly as an area effect. Now this one... yeah, valid complaint. There should be a number of uses per day on these things. I would almost say once a day, but actually, I do like twice or even three times a day.

sleyvas Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 17:45:24
regarding the need for fortresses, having "pop up" fortresses might be useful. By that I mean, in 5e there's still the Daern's Instant Fortress. Now, in most instances that's only going to get you a 20 ft square tower that's 30 feet high. However, what if they had say 16 of these. This would mean each time the configuration could be different. You could connect them with wall of stone spells, and front those wall of stone spells with say walls of fire or walls of air, or deterrence effects such as magnetism effects, reverse gravity, or even things that make certain races turn away. These "extra" effects in front of the walls of stone, in addition to the physical layout configuration being able to change between battles. Of course, with this option, your enemy becomes magic dispelling effects, but the point of this would be to drop a castle quickly, engage an assault, and then move on. Secrecy would be the key.

Making a Daern's instant fortress in 5e according to the DMG would require 5,000 gold and 200 days to craft using a spellcaster of at least 6th level. However, if multiple spellcasters help, then the days can be reduced. So, for instance, if the elves were to devote say 40 of their spellcasters to this goal, they could be pumping out a new tower every 5 days (they might cut these into 8 separate teams of 5 and each produce a tower every 40 days). Thus, even if they were losing towers they could replenish them relatively fast.

Along these lines, I could also see there being a lesser item that would be uncommon instead of rare. Let's call it "Daern's Curtain Wall" and it might make a 30 foot long wall with battlements that's 20 foot high with possibly things like pots with pitch, ballistas, catapults, internal passages with arrow slits at 10 foot height. Or they might have the equivalent of this kind of siege equipment carried under an item spell effect. Thus, the "Daern's instant curtain wall" might cost only 500 gold and take only 20 days for a single caster.

Along similar lines, there might be a less tall version of Daern's instant fortress that consists of 2 20 foot towers connected by a wall with a portcullis and drawbridge

Using the curtain walls and fortresses, if they say breached a castle wall of an enemy, they could then run in with another instant fortress and a pair of curtain walls and thus instantly build a tower within the breach. The strength of this all again would be to suddenly create a castle next to say an enemy fortress in a configuration to ones own liking with surprise, then start decimating the enemy before they can think to respond.

EDIT: By the way... I'm going to steal my own idea here and put it to work with my red wizards doing the United Tharchs of Toril idea. One of the concepts for one of my tharchs is that its only about 30 years old, and basically two other tharchs joined up to blitzkrieg some "Lenastans" (aka leonine humanoid cat folk) who held a section of high ground with a rather basic palace and fortifications, etc... They then establish "New Eltabbar", which is a city with numerous canals and inner walls, etc... on the site. Doing this with the above type tactics and then using the towers to establish a moving fortress, and then afterwards keeping the magical structures until new real structures can be built with slave labor and magic works.

Having the city's canals filled by poor, young children paid to repeatedly activate decanters of endless water, and then letting the city's canals empty into the surrounding land via irrigation canals might transform this escarpment (based on what I'm looking at, you'd need 32 decanters to equal the flow of the savannah river... which is considered a major river, but NOWHERE near something as huge as the Mississippi... so I'm judging as big enough to support the culture and turn the escarpment into a breadbasket). One of the things I see the red wizards as being particular about with this would be to use magic to shore up the irrigation canals, such that this water STAYS up high. Thus, you travel up into this high land where you'd normally expect to find rocky scrubs and instead find cattle, growing plants, etc...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 15:29:11
There isn't very much, actually, and what little there is, is scattered around -- mostly passing references, here and there. The only world I can recall a name for is Spiral, and as I recall, there was practically no info on it, other than that it fell to the scro.

But with the Elven Imperial Navy being one of the strongest forces in space, before that war, then there are obviously a lot of elven worlds out there (perhaps even entire spheres). And the scro were kicking some serious elven backside, conquering several elven world. There was even an adventure that revolved around the scro trying to get and reactivate witchlight marauders -- biological weapons that were basically "kill everything on the planet" types. The biggest ones were bigger than kaiju, and even the smallest ones were killing machines.

There were a few systems or planets, aside from the big three spheres, detailed in Spelljammer material, but not a lot. There may be an elven world or two covered in Practical Planetology, but nothing jumped out at me when I did a quick look, just now. You're pretty much free to make up whatever you need.

As for loyalty to the fey'ri... Why wouldn't refugees show loyalty to someone who rescued them and gave them a new home and a chance to stand tall again? If the fey'ri grabbed elves from a world about to fall to the scro -- or worse, one where the scro had conquered and enslaved the elves -- why wouldn't those elves be loyal to their saviors?

In fact, here's an idea: a handful of fey'ri travel to an elven world (or at least an elven outpost). They integrate into the society, either as travelers making a new home or by posing as locals. They work their way into prominent, trusted positions... And that's when the second group of fey'ri either inflitrates or allies with a scro fleet, and leads them to attack the elves. One of the fey'ri that's posing as an elven leader produces a scroll or something that's supposed to provide aid, and it opens a portal that the elves can flee thru. You get elves where you need them, and they're already loyal to the fey'ri -- they just don't know about it, and can be kept ignorant.

The benefit of using refugees or otherwise getting elves from other worlds is that with a simple portal, you can get anywhere from a handful of elves to thousands. And the more you get, the better able to build a new society they would be -- you'd be getting the crafters and the workers, the administrative types, spouses, children, soldiers -- everything. And that's just from one portal.

Your idea of grabbing elves from ancient empires could work, but you'd be using a hell of a lot of magic to get one or two at a time. And it ignores a lot of existing info on time travel in the Realms, most of which amounts to "you can't change anything and you can't remove something from its time." My suggestion gives you thousands of elves, with less of a magical expenditure, and does it without breaking anything previously written.
Sylrae Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 05:09:42
I was misremembering mythals and mythallars as the same thing. I had my wires crossed.

I'm not especially familiar with Spelljammer lore. Just bits and pieces. I suppose recruiting Elven refugees from other worlds could work too. I was mostly thinking of having fortified elven kingdoms spring up out of nowhere, and how they would go about accomplishing that, and figured demiplanes until it's constructed and then shifting it to Toril (or keeping it in a demiplane or on the astral and accessing Toril via permanent portals or something) would be the way to accomplish that.

But random elves from various spelljammer worlds could work to populate the other elven cities being created. What sources would you suggest I look into to get more information about the Spelljammer elven worlds?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Dec 2018 : 04:47:14
Why would elves use mythallars? That was a Netherese thing.

Why not just find an elven world somewhere and bring in elves from there? The elves took a beating during the Second Unhuman War, and several elven worlds fell to the scro -- which means there should be plenty of refugees available.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000