Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Bladesinger (Created by CEV and Diffan)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 18 Dec 2018 : 01:29:56
The Bladesinger Created by CEV and Diffan.

Bladesingers are practitioners of the original elven martial art known as the "Bladesong". Once upon a time, they were a proud and noble caste of warrior-mages who traveled the countryside in order to defend the elven way of life. Sadly in this more modern age, they are a dying breed. They are little more than living myths and legends of a bygone era, having slowly been usurped by a simpler and profoundly less elegant "art" of sword magic. While there are still a handful of true bladesingers in the world, they are without doubt in the twilight of their existence.

The "Bladesong"

The Bladesong -- the true bladesong, not that foul atrocity of sword magic that has usurped the name -- is an extremely demanding martial art, the epitome of Tel'Quessir mastery of the sword, and one that is never taught to those lacking pure Tel'Quessir blood. Unlike the martial arts of other races, this elven fighting style emphasizes beauty and economy of movement over sheer destructive power. However, the elven bladesong is deceptively dangerous, for all its seeming gentleness and apparent grace. It is a primarily defensive style of combat, with devastating strikes considered less important than a superior guard position. From this superior defensive posture, magical attacks and spells may be used without fear of successful counter-attack when performed by a Tel'Quessir fully proficient in the style. In addition to the violent purpose inherent to all martial arts, the bladesong is uniquely Tel'Quessir in the fact that the aesthetic components of the style are as important as it's martial efficacy, with its dance-like movements and the haunting whistling sounds produced by the sword blade cutting through the air being the source of the name bladesong.

Those who practice the true bladesong appear as if they are dancing when they fight. Their movements seem misleadingly slow and elegant, deflecting opponents' blades while lazily drifting back to score hits themselves. True bladesingers do not believe in smashing blows or strong and crushing offense, but rather in guiding their opponents to anticipate a different attack entirely, thus overbalancing the foe and making him seem clumsy.

Organization and Society

While the true bladesingers group themselves into overlapping guilds and knighthoods as an institution, they normally do not travel together in groups, but instead wander separately to better spread the ways of the Tel'Quessir and defend the ways of elvenkind, roving from one elven settlement to the next as troubleshooters, and dealing with whatever problems they come across, honor-bound to come to the aid of any elf in distress they come across. In their travels they are treated with the utmost respect and admiration by the elves they meet, being treated as heroes in the communities they enter, much as a human Paladin would be in a human village. They are the champions of the Tel'Quessir, the Knights of The People and defenders of the elven way of life, practicing an ancient and honored elven art and giving their lives if necessary to defend elven society, and they are accorded status of heroes and the respect such due such a station whenever they are encountered.

On rare occasions, bladesingers have been known to forgo their wandering ways and settle down in a large elven community. There they offer themselves to a powerful and well-respect elven house, serving as a bodyguard and staunch defender of the elven way of life.

Becoming a Bladesinger

“One does not choose to become a bladesinger; one is chosen to become a bladesinger!”
In a bygone age when bladesingers were more common, a true bladesinger would return home to the academy that trained them, offering themselves as a master, and thus training entire classes of Tel'quessir to take their mantle. Now in the twilight years of a dying artform, the few remaining bladesingers instead spend their final years questing for a suitable apprentice to follow in their footsteps. Once found, they test them in subtle ways, judging them on whether or not they are upstanding examples of the elven way of life, and whether or not they have the gods-granted talent to hear the bladesong within.

Entry Requirements
BAB: +4
Race: Elf or Half Elf (any subrace except drow).
Skills: Perform (Dance) 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Finesse.
Spellcasting: Able to cast 1st-level evocation and abjuration arcane spells.
Special: Must have received training by another master of the true bladesong.

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level)
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex),
Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A bladesinger is proficient in all simple and martial weapons, as well as light and medium armor.

Spellcasting: At the indicated levels, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a true bladesinger, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Elven Sword-Mastery: At 1st level, a Bladesinger can add her Dexterity bonus, if any, to damage when using a longsword, shortsword, rapier, saber, elven courtblade, elven thinblade, elven lightblade or dagger. In addition, she gains the Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization feats with these weapons, without meeting any prerequisites.

Bladesong (Ex): Your first lesson as a bladesinger is on how to become one with both your martial prowess and your spellcasting artistry. You are now able to cast cantrips and 1st level spells and wield your weapon at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, except that your off-hand weapon is actually a spell rather than a second weapon. You gain the ability to cast higher spells in this manner as indicated on the table. When you wield a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other, you can combine a spell and weapon attacks into a single action. As a standard action, you can make one melee attack and cast a spell with a casting time of no more than 1 standard action. As a full-round action, you can make a full attack and cast a spell with a casting time of no more than 1 full-round action. You make all of your normal attacks with your main hand and any melee or ranged touch attacks with your off-hand at a -2 penalty. You are treated as if you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for purposes of meeting prerequisites.

Balance of Steel and Spell (Ex): At 1st level a bladesinger learns how to use the bladesong itself to take the place of your somatic and material components in combat. You gain the Somatic Weaponry feat (detailed in Complete Mage). This feat only applies to your abjuration and evocation spells, plus one other school of spells of your choice. At 3rd level, this ability expands to include the Combat Casting feat as well.

Spellgrace (Ex): At 2nd level, whenever you are subject to a magical effect that allows a Reflex or Will save for a reduced effect, you suffer no effect on a successful save.

Spring Attack: At 2nd level, you gain the Spring Attack feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

Sylvan Performance (Ex): At 3rd level, you have made your first foray into learning the steps of the true bladesong and may now use your Perform (Dance) skill in place of any Balance, Concentration, Jump, or Tumble checks.

Spellsong (Su): At 4th level, while in combat you gain spell resistance equal to 5 + your effective caster level against spells from the Abjuration, Evocation, and one additional school of your choice.

Armored Mage (Ex): At 5th level you can cast arcane spells in light armor without incurring the normal spell failure chance.

Improved Spellgrace (Ex): At 5th level, whenever you are subject to a magical effect that allows a Reflex or Will save for a reduced effect, you suffer only the reduced effect even on a failed save.

Harmony of the Blade (Ex): By 6th level, your mastery of the true bladesong grows greater still. In combat, you are treated as if you possess both Spell Focus (Evocation) and Greater Spell Focus (Evocation) while wielding a sword in your main hand and nothing in your off-hand.

Quick Substitution: At 7th level, you gain Energy Substitution as a bonus feat with which you may spontaneously convert any of your evocation spells without increasing the casting time. Each morning you may change which energy subtype this feat uses in much the same way a wizard prepares his spells.

Astute Balance (Ex): At 8th level you gain a competence bonus equal to your Dexterity modifier for caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance, but only when casting spells affected by your Balance of Steel and Spell class ability.

Whirring bladesong (Ex): At 9th level your grace in battle has advanced to the point to where you are a blur of whirring death. You gain the Whirlwind Attack feat, even if you do not normally qualify for it. You can only use the feat while you are performing the bladesong. You lose the benefit of this feature if you are wielding anything in your off-hand.

True Bladesong: At 10th level, your mastery of the bladesong is complete. You are treated as if you have both the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feats for purposes of your bladesong class feature. Finally, you can cast a second spell in melee combat with a casting time of no more than 1 full round, as a free action. This feature does not stack with Quicken Spell.

Maximized Spelldance (Su): At 10th level, while in melee combat,the strength of your abjuration and evocation spells are exceptionally potent. When casting such a spell, you may apply the effects of the Maximized Spell metamagic feat. You can apply this feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + your Dexterity modifier (at least once per day). In addition, you gain a competence bonus on the saving throw DCs of any spells affected by your balance of steel and spell class feature equal to your Dexterity modifier. This feature can be applied as a free action 1/day. This reflects the natural grace and eloquence in which you have learned to unleash your spells in battle.

Table: The Bladesinger
Hit Die: d6

Level	BAB	F	R	W	Special												Spellcasting
========================================================================================================================================================================================
1st	+1	+0	+2	+2	Elven Sword Mastery, Bladesong (cantrips and 1st level spells}, Balance of Steel and Spell	
2nd	+2	+0	+3	+3	Spellgrace, Spring Attack,									+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
3rd	+3	+1	+3	+3	Sylvan Performance										+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
4th	+4	+1	+4	+4	Spellsong,											+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
5th	+5	+1	+4	+4	Armored Mage, Improved Spellgrace, Bladesong (2nd & 3rd level spells)	
6th	+6	+2	+5	+5	Harmony of the Blade, 										+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
7th	+7	+2	+5	+5	Quick Substitution										+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
8th	+8	+2	+6	+6	Astute Balance 											+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
9th	+9	+3	+6	+6	Whirring Bladesong	
10th	+10	+3	+7	+7	True Bladesong (4th & 5th level spells), Maximised Spelldance						+1 level in an existing arcane spellcaster class
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 29 Sep 2019 : 04:37:50
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I feel like Spellsong just doesn't fit very well. I feel like some nice utility or flavor feats could fill in nicely here. Quick Draw? A variation on bardic knowledge but only for elven subject matter? Something that enhances melee attacks with the traditional elven weapons (also don't forget elven curved blade and Aldori dueling sword for Pathfinder).

For me it seems like this class should be the epitome and pinnacle of elven warfare and mastery of the Art.

I feel like the class falls a bit short in the flavor department. I love the features and the class but it just doesn't scream Elven elite to me.

What sort of features do you feel would fit the theme better?

quote:

Just one DM's opinion. I feel like SR that low may as well not even be given. A caster will only need to roll like a 5 or better on a caster check.

You know, I just looked at that again and you're possibly right. Depending on build (swashbuckler 2/ wizard 4/bladesinger 4) *the level you get the SR feature* you're only hitting a Spell Resistance of 13. Creatures with spell-like abilities and possible monsters with class levels appropriate to face off against a 10th level party, hitting a SR 12 probably ins't that difficult.

I probably misread it as 11 + Character level (hence why I thought it was SR 20) but since it's actually based off of Caster level then the same character above gets SR 18 - which is a bit more appropriate for that level against monsters with similar attacks.

So CEV, changing it back to 11 + Caster Level isn't all that bad and I think relatively balanced given the circumstances.

11 plus spell level seems about right for the PrC.
Diffan Posted - 27 Sep 2019 : 22:33:47
quote:

I feel like Spellsong just doesn't fit very well. I feel like some nice utility or flavor feats could fill in nicely here. Quick Draw? A variation on bardic knowledge but only for elven subject matter? Something that enhances melee attacks with the traditional elven weapons (also don't forget elven curved blade and Aldori dueling sword for Pathfinder).

For me it seems like this class should be the epitome and pinnacle of elven warfare and mastery of the Art.

I feel like the class falls a bit short in the flavor department. I love the features and the class but it just doesn't scream Elven elite to me.

What sort of features do you feel would fit the theme better?

quote:

Just one DM's opinion. I feel like SR that low may as well not even be given. A caster will only need to roll like a 5 or better on a caster check.

You know, I just looked at that again and you're possibly right. Depending on build (swashbuckler 2/ wizard 4/bladesinger 4) *the level you get the SR feature* you're only hitting a Spell Resistance of 13. Creatures with spell-like abilities and possible monsters with class levels appropriate to face off against a 10th level party, hitting a SR 12 probably ins't that difficult.

I probably misread it as 11 + Character level (hence why I thought it was SR 20) but since it's actually based off of Caster level then the same character above gets SR 18 - which is a bit more appropriate for that level against monsters with similar attacks.

So CEV, changing it back to 11 + Caster Level isn't all that bad and I think relatively balanced given the circumstances.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 27 Sep 2019 : 22:23:46
quote:

I have tried a higher SR but trolls on these boards have "Gished" me to death saying it's too powerful, and although I don't agree I dumbed it down. I am actually going to put this into game play for the first time tomorrow (saturday sept 28th), so any and all advice and feedback as a DM pr PC is welcomed.

Thanks.
CEV.
Cards77 Posted - 19 May 2019 : 01:56:15

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 09 May 2019 : 05:14:11
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

For the Pathfinder gishes out there, Legendary Games just dropped a reimagining of the Magus, Legendary Magus. I encourage you to check it out. It's awesome.

Thanks, I'll certainly check it out.
Fellfire Posted - 06 Feb 2019 : 17:42:08
For the Pathfinder gishes out there, Legendary Games just dropped a reimagining of the Magus, Legendary Magus. I encourage you to check it out. It's awesome.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 05 Jan 2019 : 03:02:27
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Nice work! Looks great!

I will just say that I always just loved the bladesong fighting style itself. I didn't want to be a magic user;I wanted to have an elven weapon master. This style allowed me to dictate my combat as I wished. I loved this over the Combat & Tactics players option book of going the Master/Highmaster/Grandmaster route.

And I feel I've never seen a fighting style of the like since.

Pardon the reminiscing; I don't want to take anything away from a really cool designed class here. :)

Thank you very much! I too liked going the Grandmaster path from that book. I'm glad you enjoyed. :)
Renin Posted - 04 Jan 2019 : 18:45:05
Nice work! Looks great!

I will just say that I always just loved the bladesong fighting style itself. I didn't want to be a magic user;I wanted to have an elven weapon master. This style allowed me to dictate my combat as I wished. I loved this over the Combat & Tactics players option book of going the Master/Highmaster/Grandmaster route.

And I feel I've never seen a fighting style of the like since.

Pardon the reminiscing; I don't want to take anything away from a really cool designed class here. :)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 20 Dec 2018 : 03:33:29
quote:

Sure thing!

Done. I hope you enjoy!
Diffan Posted - 19 Dec 2018 : 22:39:34
Sure thing!
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 19 Dec 2018 : 21:10:59
quote:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A bladesinger is proficient in all simple and martial weapons, as well as light and medium armor.

Spellcasting: At the indicated levels, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a true bladesinger, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Elven Sword-Mastery: At 1st level, a Bladesinger can add her Dexterity bonus, if any, to damage when using a longsword, shortsword, rapier, saber, elven courtblade, elven thinblade, elven lightblade or dagger. In addition, she gains the Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization feats with these weapons, without meeting any prerequisites.

Bladesong (Ex): Your first lesson as a bladesinger is on how to become one with both your martial prowess and your spellcasting artistry. You are now able to cast cantrips and 1st level spells and wield your weapon at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, except that your off-hand weapon is actually a spell rather than a second weapon. You gain the ability to cast higher spells in this manner as indicated on the table. When you wield a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other, you can combine a spell and weapon attacks into a single action. As a standard action, you can make one melee attack and cast a spell with a casting time of no more than 1 standard action. As a full-round action, you can make a full attack and cast a spell with a casting time of no more than 1 full-round action. You make all of your normal attacks with your main hand and any melee or ranged touch attacks with your off-hand at a -2 penalty. You are treated as if you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for purposes of meeting prerequisites.

Balance of Steel and Spell (Ex): At 1st level a bladesinger learns how to use the bladesong itself to take the place of your somatic and material components in combat. You gain the Somatic Weaponry feat (detailed in Complete Mage). This feat only applies to your abjuration and evocation spells, plus one other school of spells of your choice. At 3rd level, this ability expands to include the Combat Casting feat as well.

Spellgrace (Ex): At 2nd level, whenever you are subject to a magical effect that allows a Reflex or Will save for a reduced effect, you suffer no effect on a successful save.

Spring Attack: At 2nd level, you gain the Spring Attack feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

Sylvan Performance (Ex): At 3rd level, you have made your first foray into learning the steps of the true bladesong and may now use your Perform (Dance) skill in place of any Balance, Concentration, Jump, or Tumble checks.

Spellsong (Su): At 4th level, while in combat you gain spell resistance equal to 5 + your effective caster level against spells from the Abjuration, Evocation, and one additional school of your choice.

Armored Mage (Ex): At 5th level you can cast arcane spells in light armor without incurring the normal spell failure chance.

Improved Spellgrace (Ex): At 5th level, whenever you are subject to a magical effect that allows a Reflex or Will save for a reduced effect, you suffer only the reduced effect even on a failed save.

Harmony of the Blade (Ex): By 6th level, your mastery of the true bladesong grows greater still. In combat, you are treated as if you possess both Spell Focus (Evocation) and Greater Spell Focus (Evocation) while wielding a sword in your main hand and nothing in your off-hand.

Quick Substitution: At 7th level, you gain Energy Substitution as a bonus feat with which you may spontaneously convert any of your evocation spells without increasing the casting time. Each morning you may change which energy subtype this feat uses in much the same way a wizard prepares his spells.

Astute Balance (Ex): At 8th level you gain a competence bonus equal to your Dexterity modifier for caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance, but only when casting spells affected by your Balance of Steel and Spell class ability.

Whirring bladesong (Ex): At 9th level your grace in battle has advanced to the point to where you are a blur of whirring death. You gain the Whirlwind Attack feat, even if you do not normally qualify for it. You can only use the feat while you are performing the bladesong. You lose the benefit of this feature if you are wielding anything in your off-hand.

True Bladesong: At 10th level, your mastery of the bladesong is complete. You are treated as if you have both the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feats for purposes of your bladesong class feature. Finally, you can cast a second spell in melee combat with a casting time of no more than 1 full round, as a free action. This feature does not stack with Quicken Spell.

Maximized Spelldance (Su): At 10th level, while in melee combat,the strength of your abjuration and evocation spells exceptionally potent. When casting such a spell, you may apply the effects of the Maximized Spell metamagic feat. You can apply this feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + your Dexterity modifier (at least once per day). In addition, you gain a competence bonus on the saving throw DCs of any spells affected by your balance of steel and spell class feature equal to your Dexterity modifier. This feature can be applied as a free action 1/day. This reflects the natural grace and eloquence in which you have learned to unleash your spells in battle.

I love it!! I know it was broken, but I'm so busy with work that I have little time to focus on the multiple FR projects I'm working on. Do you mind if I cut and copy your changes and credit you in the PrC??
Diffan Posted - 19 Dec 2018 : 20:41:47

Maximized Spelldance (Su): At 10th level, while in melee combat,the strength of your abjuration and evocation spells exceptionally potent. When casting such a spell, you may apply the effects of the Maximized Spell metamagic feat. You can apply this feature a number of times per day equal to 1 + your Dexterity modifier (at least once per day). In addition, you gain a competence bonus on the saving throw DCs of any spells affected by your balance of steel and spell class feature equal to your Dexterity modifier. This feature can be applied as a free action 1/day. This reflects the natural grace and eloquence in which you have learned to unleash your spells in battle.
Diffan Posted - 19 Dec 2018 : 17:32:14
So from a balance perspective, it's sort of WAAY off. I'm not saying it's bad but.....yeah some of the features are pretty amazing and a little too good. So let me start off with some basics:

BaB: Is it full or 3/4 or what? The table sort of have bonuses going from starting off at +0 at 1st to +10 at 10th. Is it supposed to follow the normal progression?
Requirements: Now that Weapon Specialization is gone, you can actually advance in this PrC by 5th level (I like Swashbuckler 4/ Wizard 1 myself for Insightful Strike) but Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 3/ Wizard 1 is only two more levels but nets you WAY more skills & Sneak Attack.

Spellcasting: I'm guessing it's a full 10 level progression. That, coupled with a possible full BAB progression AND a ton of amazing features might be too much. I'd personally make it 7/10 or 6/10 casting (look at the Swiftblade as an example). Or make it 8/10 casting and make the BAB 3/4.

Focused Finesse / Specialization: I like it. Actually I've always liked Dex to damage for elves and light blades in general. It honestly doesn't mess with balance vs. Strength because they'll always have the Power Attack line to keep things crazy high. So the small benefit for being able to "dump" Strength is fine in my book. I'm not sure I like that name though, need something more....."Elven".

Bladesong: I'm guessing you got the idea from the Pathfinder's Magus class? It works very similar in tandem with Two-Weapon Fighting and you can hold the charge of the spell to keep slinging. I guess this will also mean Bladesingers will quickly run out of spell slots soon - which could prove problematic. The only issue I have here is that it basically turns every spell you cast into a quickened one. Being able to full-attack AND get an Enervation Ray off is......sort of ridiculous. Maybe limit the spells being used as they level? Like you can use it with 1st level Evo and Abj spells from 1st thru 3rd; 2nd level spells from 4th thru 6th; 3rd level spells from 7th thru 9th; and finally 4th level spells at 10th level. Even still, that's crazy powerful.

Balance of Steel and Spell seems fine. Why not just give them Somatic Weaponary (Complete Mage as a bonus feat and just limit it to those spell schools? Then you add in Combat Casting later at 3rd level?

Armored Mage, improved and normal Spellgrace, and Sylvan Performace are A-OK in my book. very flavorful and I like that you can use Dance for a substitute on Skills. Would Combat Casting work with Perform (Dance) When when casting defensively?

Spring Attack: So, do you get Spring Attack? Are you only treating this as a way to by-pass the chain of feats for something else? Why not just grant Spring Attack as a free feat, and skip the prerequisites?

Spellsong: Soo...this is where the whole thing becomes kinda broken, lol. Getting 11 + level SR is well.....an overly amazing feature all by itself. Getting it at essentially 9th level (Swasbuckler 4/ Wizard 1/ bladesinger 4) nets you SR 20. Show me in the Monster Manual where monsters are throwing SLA's that are going to easily or moderately hit SR 20. For example a Nalfeshnee (CR 14) has a 60% chance to overcome your Spell Resistance (their CL is 12th for their Spell-Like Abilities). That's a whole 5 levels higher. Then we also get a feature that basically subverts the balancing factor of reducing the spells associated with many of the features by allowing spontaneous casting into a different school. It's just too good.

Harmony of the Blade, as is, is basically getting Spell Focus/Grtr Spell Focus for every school of magic since you can spontaneously cast spells into that school.

Quick Substitution is fine.

Astute Balance is cool, but somewhat pointless when you can just spontaneously cast any spell as a Abj or Evo spell.

Whirring Bladesong: Not entirely sure what this does but give you Dodge, Mobility, AND Combat Expertise? The earlier Spring Attack feature said you get it to meet prerequisites, but for what? Why not just say - You get Whirlwind Attack for free and can use your Bladesong with it?"

True Bladesong is OK - but really only if you're limiting the spell levels gained. If I'm going (Swb 4/ Wiz 1/ Bladesinger 10) then getting two 5th level spells off AND a full-attack....yeah that's too good.

Maximized Spelldance: While it's a nifty capstone, it's too good. Being able to break the bonds of lower level spells (max die for damage, etc) in lieu of casting higher level spells is broken. Why use the Maximized part that already works with current rules? How about instead of breaking the hard dice cap, why not maximize X number of spells/day? Also, increasing the DC of all the spells you cast (because you can spontaneously alter them) by your Dex saving throw means monsters at-level and even above will almost never make their saves. 10 + spell level + [ability modifier from class] + Dexterity + Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus = Na, you fail your save 100% of the time.

So here are some of my suggestions:

• BAB and Spellcasting: 3/4 (so +0 to +7) and Spellcasting 9/10 (skipping 1st level) OR full bab (+1 to +10) and 6/10 casting (skipping 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th). This means a Fighter 4/ Wizard 1/ Bladesinger 10 with 3/4 BAB (total +11/+6/+1 at 15th level) but with a Caster Level of 10th (5th level spells) OR with full BAB (total +14/+9/+4) and CL 7th (4th level spells). To me, that's pretty fair vs. going straight full class on either end OR going Eldritch Knight (which nets you +14/+9/+4 BAB and 10th level casting but no features).

• Focused Finesse and Specialization: How about Elven Swordsmanship as a name? the other just sounds so...game-y.

• Bladesong: I'd put in a specific level for which this can be applied. (1st level spell from 1-3; 2nd level at 4-6; 3rd level at 7-9; and 4th level at 10). This keeps things WAY more balanced anyways.

• Balance of Steel and Spell: Gain Somatic Weaponry when casting Evocation and Abjuration, plus one additional school of your choices. At 3rd level, you gain Combat Casting that can be used with the same schools.

• Spring Attack: You gain the Spring Attack feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites.

• Spellsong: I don't really know a way to balance it. Either part really. Maybe you could keep it and adjust the SR to 5 or 6 + level or 11 + Caster level but SR is amazingly good. It's why the Drow have such as high Level Adjustment. As for the spontaneous casting, it's also too good as a LOT of features are banked on you casting spells effectively from 3 main school.

• Whirring Bladesong: You gain the Whirlwind Attack feat, even if you don't have the prerequisites. You can use this in conjunction with your Bladesong feature.

• True Bladesong: Keep the limit to casting spells to 2 per round (1 free action and 1 with Bladesong). 3 spells a turn PLUS full attack is too good. It also means you don't need Quickened Spell unless you can to prepare something of a higher level.

• Maximized Spelldance: I'd change it to apply the Maximized feat to any spell you cast through Spellsong a number of times equal to 1 + your Dexterity modifier (because you're dancing). In addition, once per day you may apply your Dexterity modifier to the DC of the next spell you cast as a free action.

I hope my suggestions don't come off as negatively criticizing your work. In honesty, this is one of the better Bladesinger prestige classes I've seen for revised 3rd edition. The two we officially got (Races of Faerϋn and Complete Warrior) were bad by later edition standards, and with prestige classes like Abjurant Champion, it falls in line there. Anyways, hope this helps and happy gaming!

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 19 Dec 2018 : 15:14:02
I just fully re-vamped this PrC's class abilities and requirements to be more streamlined and suitable to the bladesinger.

Enjoy.
CEV

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000