Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Choosing 1 Waterdeep sourcebook

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
muir Posted - 17 Nov 2018 : 16:18:05
Doubtless this has come up before, but I failed to find the thread...

I can afford 1 of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, the City of Splendors boxed set, or City of Splendours - Waterdeep. At present.

Given that edition makes little difference to me, I am unlikely to run a campaign there, but players may very well visit it, which one would you most esteemed scribes recommend?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TomCosta Posted - 23 Nov 2018 : 13:52:50
Yeah, but there's not a lot of lore or crunch or anything else in the City System. There are a few nuggets, but the booklet is skimpy. It's just the maps really.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Nov 2018 : 19:10:07
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Don't get the City System box set unless you want a lot of larger scale maps, but that are still too big to use minis on.

And unless you've got enough wall to put up a map that takes up 10 posters.
TomCosta Posted - 21 Nov 2018 : 18:38:06
Don't get the City System box set unless you want a lot of larger scale maps, but that are still too big to use minis on.
Bragi Posted - 19 Nov 2018 : 22:13:56
Purchase the City System Boxed Set and get the rest on PDF.
sleyvas Posted - 18 Nov 2018 : 21:16:59
definitely the boxed set in my book. One thing to consider is the later work didn't want to recreate the earlier work so as to not upset those who had bought the earlier work and would have felt they were being cheated by recopying too much page count. This is something I felt happened with a lot of the 3e stuff versus the 2e stuff. For instance, Faiths & Pantheons is a decent work, but I will always refer someone to Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, Demihuman Deities, and Monster Mythology for more breadth of detail.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Nov 2018 : 23:48:43
Fair shake to Eric Boyd. City of Splendors:Waterdeep is far more than a simple re-hash of the City of Splendors boxed set. It contains a bunch of new lore, not just game mechanics.

-- George Krashos
TomCosta Posted - 17 Nov 2018 : 19:53:33
So the one thing that City of Splendors - Waterdeep offers the others don't is its designed more for playing the game than lore, which is not to say its more crunch heavy, though it is, but rather it is focuses more on the bits you're more likely to use in an actual game. All that said, I think I would go with the box set first.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Nov 2018 : 17:21:09
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is the best on-the-ground resource, and it is the sourcebook that converted me from an enthusiast a full-on Realms junkie. If I ever get to meet Ed, I'm going to ask him to autograph a copy I bought specifically for that reason.

The City of Splendors boxed set offers the best broad overview of the city.

The City of Splendours - Waterdeep does offer a good overview of the city, and updates some of what was in the boxed set, but I'd go for the boxed set before going for this book. On a related note, I've seen this book on eBay many times, and the price is generally much higher than I think is reasonable. (Which reminds me, I've really got to put my extra copy up on there, some time)

I suggest going for Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. From what I've seen on eBay, it'll be the easiest to find, and it's got the most player-centric lore in it.

I will also note that I believe you can get legal pdfs of all three from DriveThruRPG.com

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000