Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 hunting in Waterdeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
realmslore2000 Posted - 27 Oct 2018 : 23:25:22
I have looked through the laws of waterdeep and don't see any laws pertaining to the hunting of birds by (bow or crossbow) or other wildlife by (net or trap) within the city limits.
Is it legal, if not what are the penalties and fines if caught.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Feb 2020 : 17:57:42
Master Rupert,

Yeah, that completely makes sense to me. It would be that kind of common sense approach of the Magister.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It would depend on how you were hunting them, really. Firing arrows or crossbow bolts into the air to bring them down? Yes, because the falling projectile -- regardless of whether or not there's a bird attached -- could injure or even kill someone else. A slung stone, at a bird on the ground? Maybe just a warning, if it was done where no one was in the line of fire. A snare on your rooftop? No one's going to care about that.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Feb 2020 : 17:44:34
It would depend on how you were hunting them, really. Firing arrows or crossbow bolts into the air to bring them down? Yes, because the falling projectile -- regardless of whether or not there's a bird attached -- could injure or even kill someone else. A slung stone, at a bird on the ground? Maybe just a warning, if it was done where no one was in the line of fire. A snare on your rooftop? No one's going to care about that.
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Feb 2020 : 15:02:21
Seeker realmslore2000,

Master Rupert is right...to a point. You know one of the weakest areas of the Realms is law. It is almost (my opinion here) whimsically an amalgamation of medieval British, Romana Visigothorum, and Romana Burgundiorum in its jurisprudence.

Due to that, you're going to have some degree of subjectiveness to that system. When compared to having grown up with a legal system such as the U.S., it is really obtuse to consider such an archaic, backwards system. Then again...it is a medieval system. haha

So, no, I don't think it is illegal, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be arrested arbitrarily and taken before a Magistrate to answer for an interpretation of something such as the following Crime Against the City:

• Brandishing a Weapon Dangerously or Threateningly Without Due Cause (Note: being in a brawl is not "due cause" unless one is menaced with a weapon): F (overnight) and H (1 gp)

I know, there will be people here that will say something along the lines of, "Well, brandishing isn't discharging", or something along those lines. In fact, here is a quote from the City of Splendors boxed set:

quote:
A DM should use the "elbow room" created by this discretionary legal system just as the Lords do

"Discretionary legal system", that's all you need to here there. The Magistrate will just say the manner in which you brandished it, with intent to shoot it in the direction of innocent beings is close enough.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by realmslore2000

But what would the law codes be if I'm caught hunting a pigeon or two so I can eat...I don't see any

sleyvas Posted - 30 Oct 2018 : 13:51:43
Yes, the existence and alignment of werepigeons has seen much debate (as well as that of such creatures as the innocent looking wereduck, vile wereseagull, wicked weregoose, fish-hungry werepelican)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481578-Alignment-of-a-Werepigeon

Of course, noone at all mentioned the werepeacock, because their alignment of "look at me, I'm so pretty" is well documented, and Sune's, Lathander's, and Hanali's churches are all known to have priests who have actively sought out being bitten.

And as said thread is noted, the number of poor sailors found dead in their hammocks after being bitten by a wereshark and effectively suffocating in air .... its just tragic.
The Masked Mage Posted - 30 Oct 2018 : 01:59:07
The DREADED were-pigeon of New Olamn is one notable example
sleyvas Posted - 29 Oct 2018 : 20:33:18
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

But what would the law codes be if I'm caught hunting a pigeon or two so I can eat...I don't see any

There don't seem to be any laws against it, meaning it's not illegal.

That said, make sure you're not trying to eat someone's familiar!

Along those lines, some races may considered animals that HUMANS would never consider as a pet AND humans might consider such animals edible. The reverse is also true (i.e. some races may see dogs and cats as perfectly edible creatures). So, taking a creature and eating it may involve consequences within city limits. That being said, random pigeons PROBABLY would be safe.... unless of course they're a shapechanged wizard spying on someone.... or a wild shaped druid.... or a were-pigeon.
Cards77 Posted - 29 Oct 2018 : 15:29:16
quote:

None. Falconry is generally considered a noble past time for those who can afford it.

It's probably encouraged if anything as a safe way to reduce avian pests that are rampant in every city.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Oct 2018 : 15:41:56
quote:

There don't seem to be any laws against it, meaning it's not illegal.

That said, make sure you're not trying to eat someone's familiar!
realmslore2000 Posted - 28 Oct 2018 : 14:54:44
Fineva Posted - 28 Oct 2018 : 10:44:22
Once a year the guards go hunting pests and monsters in and around the city. It's a nice celebration, but criminals are advised to lie low. Falconry may be a pastime of the griffon riders?
Cards77 Posted - 28 Oct 2018 : 00:46:31
Legality seems to be implied. The practicality of discharging bows, crossbows and other missile weapons within an urban areas seems to imply regulation of some kind to prevent injury to the populace.

I can see falconry as a popular past time for those who can afford it, and as a practical method for controlling pests like pigeons, swallows, etc on public monuments, bridges and buildings.

The residents of the city would likely do their hunting outside the city walls on one of the many noble villas or open areas outside the city.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000