Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Archives 10,000 Members

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Man-of-Fur Posted - 23 Oct 2018 : 23:53:35
Hello Candlekeep!
I wanted to drop in and mention that the Forgotten Realms Archives Facebook group has just reached 10,000 Members!
Huzzah, woot and woo-who!
Join us in group for our two week celebration including 10 Days of Giveaways and fun events, in addition to our regular scheduled content!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheForgottenRealmsArchives/
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Oct 2018 : 03:24:28
Different modes work for different people. FRA is where I get most of my FR interactions these days, other than here. I know there are plenty of forums out there I am not a part of lol.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2018 : 02:55:23
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I am a member of both, and I have had my positive and negative experience on both. But overall, my experiences have been positive. The FRA has really grown, and it is another place to interact with FR fans.

And that's a fair assessment. It just wasn't the kind of community that I prefer -- and I'm not saying that in any negative context; among other things, I prefer not to have quite so much activity to try to wade through. I likely would have remained there, mostly as a lurker, had it not been for that one incident.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Oct 2018 : 01:58:40
I am a member of both, and I have had my positive and negative experience on both. But overall, my experiences have been positive. The FRA has really grown, and it is another place to interact with FR fans.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Oct 2018 : 19:09:34
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And the hell of it was, the comments I made there were some of the exact same ones I've made here. But even though I gave very specific reasons -- and several of them -- for why I dislike the War of the Spider Queen books, it was judged "bashing" and I was suspended without the courtesy of a warning or anything, and the moderator ignored me when I reached out to him.

But at least there's still The Piazza... Oh, right.

I only went to that site a couple of times, so I'm not reading what you're saying, here.
TBeholder Posted - 25 Oct 2018 : 17:41:05
quote:

If there were widespread issues with the group, people would leave. I know from experience it's just as easy, if not easier, to leave a group.
I will say that I've heard that other people have had issues with the moderation there, but I can only report on my own experiences.

My point is, in that context "membership" number simply doesn't mean the same, it's "apples and grapes" comparison.
Also, inactive members and accounts that took it for disguise obviously won't have much issues with moderation.
quote:

And the hell of it was, the comments I made there were some of the exact same ones I've made here. But even though I gave very specific reasons -- and several of them -- for why I dislike the War of the Spider Queen books, it was judged "bashing" and I was suspended without the courtesy of a warning or anything, and the moderator ignored me when I reached out to him.

But at least there's still The Piazza... Oh, right.

quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

<compliment of the day>
Not likely to happen with Candlekeep.

Not with the current admins, yeah. But then, this sort of thing often happens not with the original admins, but after some sort of a soft coup.
Alaundo Posted - 25 Oct 2018 : 14:51:12
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

quote:

If there were widespread issues with the group, people would leave. I know from experience it's just as easy, if not easier, to leave a group.

<compliment of the day>
Of all FR sites I've seen, Candlekeep has by far the the highest level of quality. Polite users, a minimum of spam, and some real grognards. You are not easily replaced (or even supplemented).
</compliment>

Well met

Thank ye for the kind comments, Misereor. I'm glad thy stay herein is a pleasant one
Misereor Posted - 25 Oct 2018 : 10:46:08
quote:

<compliment of the day>
Of all FR sites I've seen, Candlekeep has by far the the highest level of quality. Polite users, a minimum of spam, and some real grognards. You are not easily replaced (or even supplemented).
</compliment>
Brimstone Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 18:07:59
You "Criticized" the Drow, Wooly. That is a big no-no. *Wags Finger around*

I mostly lurk. You want to see train-wreck, go check out the BIG D&D 5E Group.
Caolin Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 17:17:28
I'm just surprised that people continue to use Facebook.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 15:56:59
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I express criticsm there often enough (as I do here) but always try to do so in a respectful way to any of the content creators and the people with differing opinions in the group. I can easily see how a moderator (as a human) could view a criticism of a favoured piece of work as an attack on them personally and overreact accordingly. That sucks Wooly, you're always very fair here in your comments and your moderating.

The gross overreaction was what pushed me away. If there had been a simple "hey, can you cool it?" message or anything beforehand, or if the mod had bothered to respond to me and tried to work something out, that would have been another story. Instead, I was ignored -- and I've been told that the mod in question made very dismissive comments about the whole thing to the other mods of the group. I cannot verify this, but given the way I was treated, I find it plausible.
Seravin Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 15:04:12
I express criticsm there often enough (as I do here) but always try to do so in a respectful way to any of the content creators and the people with differing opinions in the group. I can easily see how a moderator (as a human) could view a criticism of a favoured piece of work as an attack on them personally and overreact accordingly. That sucks Wooly, you're always very fair here in your comments and your moderating.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 09:58:50
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

To be fair, 10,000 members is an accomplishment -- and it's far more than we have. So despite my own experiences with the group, they must be doing something right.

Like being on a platform where membership is a matter of one click and sockpuppets are ever plentiful?

I will say that I've heard that other people have had issues with the moderation there, but I can only report on my own experiences.
TBeholder Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 07:35:21
quote:

To be fair, 10,000 members is an accomplishment -- and it's far more than we have. So despite my own experiences with the group, they must be doing something right.

Like being on a platform where membership is a matter of one click and sockpuppets are ever plentiful?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 05:30:57

And giveaways are always nice -- I kinda want to go back just to see the giveaways.

Aside from the over-reaction of that one moderator, my time in that group was mostly unremarkable. I didn't participate much, because most of the activity there was not of interest to me -- I usually skimmed over the feed, looking for items of interest, then wandered to other points on the Facebook.

The only real negativity was that one time -- but that was enough for me.

Honestly, it reminds me of the old WotC forums, when I was active there: a lot of activity, some real gems here and there, and at least one unfortunately overzealous moderator.
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 05:06:16
They like their little fiefdom. Must be nice being an internet bad-ass :P
George Krashos Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 03:22:47
That happened to me on the "Sages of Toril-Forgotten Realms" group. Suspended without being told why. I left. Much as I enjoy the Forgotten Realms Archives page, if they did that to me without explanation I'd also leave.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Oct 2018 : 02:12:48
Just be aware that members of that Facebook group have to be very, very careful with expressing any negative opinions, especially if they run counter to the prevailing conversation. I ran afoul of this and my comments were deleted, and I was temporarily suspended -- all without warning. It's why I am no longer part of the group.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000