Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Harpers' Hall in Waterdeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Celephais Posted - 15 Oct 2018 : 20:43:08
I know there is one, at least according to the Realms wiki, but I downloaded the excellent .pdf map of Waterdeep from this site and can't seem to find it. I know it's a niggling detail but I have a hard time writing past it. So, where in Waterdeep is (or was) the Harpers' Hall?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2018 : 02:35:27
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Speaking of Harpers in Waterdeep, it always puzzled me in Elfshadow why Arilyn made a bee line for Waterdeep when searching out Harper assassin and didn't mention or think of going to Berdusk, where there is a Harper stronghold and is as close to Evereska as Waterdeep. The decision to go to Waterdeep seemed completely random given there wasn't much of a Harper base there that ever got much press or attention (before this post I wouldn't have said there is a Harper stronghold there as it never features in any novels). Meh.

I'd say it was because she had more allies there, and better access to resources. Plus, if you're looking to lose yourself in a crowd, a very large city is a good place to find said crowd.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2018 : 02:33:49
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

I suppose WotC would require express permission from Erin Evans to include her brain-child in any of their licensed products.

Nope. Work for hire -- he's their character.

There has been, in general, a hand's-off approach with regards to authors using each other's characters, but any character in a WotC novel is owned by WotC and they can do with the characters whatever they want. Check out the story of the Shores of Dusk novel, sometime.

Very interesting read thank you. I hadn't even known about that.

Did that novel ever get leaked or see the light of day in any form?

It's sad to think that someone's hard work like that can never be appreciated and must remain locked away for such trivial reasons.

Writers are definitely a different breed.

So far as I know, it has never seen the light of day.
Seravin Posted - 18 Oct 2018 : 22:43:32
Speaking of Harpers in Waterdeep, it always puzzled me in Elfshadow why Arilyn made a bee line for Waterdeep when searching out Harper assassin and didn't mention or think of going to Berdusk, where there is a Harper stronghold and is as close to Evereska as Waterdeep. The decision to go to Waterdeep seemed completely random given there wasn't much of a Harper base there that ever got much press or attention (before this post I wouldn't have said there is a Harper stronghold there as it never features in any novels). Meh.
Cards77 Posted - 18 Oct 2018 : 16:02:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I suppose WotC would require express permission from Erin Evans to include her brain-child in any of their licensed products.

There has been, in general, a hand's-off approach with regards to authors using each other's characters, but any character in a WotC novel is owned by WotC and they can do with the characters whatever they want. Check out the story of the Shores of Dusk novel, sometime.

Very interesting read thank you. I hadn't even known about that.

Did that novel ever get leaked or see the light of day in any form?

It's sad to think that someone's hard work like that can never be appreciated and must remain locked away for such trivial reasons.

Writers are definitely a different breed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 20:58:36
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

In fact, there is a NPC in Dragon Heist that is from Erin novels (and is mentioned in this harper article, as well): the guy who lives in the head on one of the Walking Statues, Thort. So, pretty much, they haven't used Zawad for some other reason.

They likely just overlooked him. It's not like they worry too much about maintaining continuity.
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 19:29:13
In fact, there is a NPC in Dragon Heist that is from Erin novels (and is mentioned in this harper article, as well): the guy who lives in the head on one of the Walking Statues, Thort. So, pretty much, they haven't used Zawad for some other reason.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 18:45:52
quote:

Balmar Foghaven Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 17:31:52
I find it a shame that Tam Zawad is never referenced in any of the official adventures; he was quite the character. I suppose WotC would require express permission from Erin Evans to include her brain-child in any of their licensed products.
Celephais Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 00:41:52
Thanks for the info, guys.
Zeromaru X Posted - 16 Oct 2018 : 22:22:03
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva

Same NPCs in charge as in Tiamat time, a noble house also has a great Harper, not to mention Mirt is as well.

Well, it doesn't surprise me. That supplement was to supplement the Sundering novels (especifically, the Adversary, that's the one that uses the Harpers of Waterdeep), so is from the time period when they started to pretend that a 100 years leap from one edition to another was if as nothing had happened.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Oct 2018 : 04:16:03
Ye gods... I'd not read that before. The whole "there used to be more Harpers but now there aren't because reasons" does not sit well with me, and it reinforces my determination to never allow the Spellplague to sully my personal Realms.
Fineva Posted - 15 Oct 2018 : 23:16:35
Same NPCs in charge as in Tiamat time, a noble house also has a great Harper, not to mention Mirt is as well.
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Oct 2018 : 22:46:44
The Harper Hall is located in the second floor of an inn and tavern named The Beholder's Lament, located in the Trade Ward of Waterdeep. You can get more info about this place in the "Harpers of Waterdeep" article (in Dragon 430). The article is for the current year (so 1486 DR onwards), but as Waterdeep didn't changed that much in 100 years, you should only change the NPCs and the place will be useful for a pre-Spellplague campaign.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000