Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Centaurs and mounted feats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 16:47:00
Fellow scribes,

IIRC, there is one rule, in one book, concerning about centaurs and the "mounted" feats - if they can benefit from the feats, or no?
Could someone point me to the right direction?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 18:00:17
As far as battle goes I would go with cavalry as a designation. Maybe a modifier or two need to be added. The mounted human is a team with two brains so slightly more versatile in combat actions. However the horse only knows a few combat actions or tricks that it would use on its own. The rider gives most of the commands the horse act on and does.

The centaurs have all the tricks that a horse would have. The commands to kick, turn etc. do not need to be singled to a mount. The centaurs are their own mount.

The centaurs do not were a saddle or some of the other equipment that a human needs to ride a mount. The carrying capacity is the same. So the centaurs need to carry less than a horse does. Generally I would expect that centaurs would carry fewer weapons as well. I do not see centaurs carrying a lance into battle for example.

There is the down side of body being at the fount as opposed to a human in the middle of a mount.

Yes there are differences, however at least mass combat clearly would say cavalry. Just might consider a modifier rating centaur cavalry slightly less effective than human and horse cavalry.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 17:42:32
My point was that saying that the designation is functional ignores the fact that centaurs are not humans. A human going into combat can do it on foot, or he can mount up.

A centaur does not have that option -- they can't mount up. So unlike humans, they don't have a choice for the role that they fulfill.

Like infantry, a centaur is on foot, and everything they will use in combat is upon their person.

However, they are like cavalry in that they can carry a lot more into battle, they get there quicker, and there's a lot more mass behind their charge.

Of course, human cavalry has something centaurs don't -- the mount itself can be an independent combatant. And cutting the legs out from under a cavlaryman's mount gives you a foe who can fight but who is hampered by no longer having a mount to aid his combat -- cutting the legs out from under a centaur neutralizes that combatant.

Centaurs are therefore a mix of the two -- they're not quite the same as a mounted human cavalry, though they have some of the advantages, but they still share characteristics with PBI.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 16:08:37
I'd still call them effectively cavalry. Ironically, I also wouldn't be surprised to find centaurs that actually use pack horses for carrying their gear for them. After all, knights were known to do the same thing, having the warhorse that they rode and a pack horse to carry things for them. You also have to take into account that riding a horse is not like riding in a car. The mounted warrior is not relaxing entirely (and if not working properly with the animal can become saddle sore). Hell, centaurs may actually have "squires" that are young centaurs that don't go into battle, and these young centaurs jobs may be to carry the heavy gear.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 04:51:53
Ah, but the function is directly related to how they get into combat -- infantry can't fill the same role as cavalry, because they're humping it on foot and carrying all their gear, as opposed to riding into battle with something that has weight, mass, speed, and carrying capacity.

And centaurs blur that line. Like infantry, they're on foot and carrying all their gear. They can certainly effect a more fearsome charge, but they're still just dudes on foot.
TBeholder Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 02:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

When centaurs go into battle, are they cavalry or infantry?

The force type designation is functional (see also "mounted infantry" and XX century updates with mechanized forces), and they would act as cavalry.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2018 : 02:10:21
Doing my own thread necromancy, here, with an old pondering I just stumbled across...

When centaurs go into battle, are they cavalry or infantry?

They've got the speed, reach, weight, and all that, like cavalry... But they are not mounted, and they are getting into battle under their own power, on foot -- like infantry.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 16:53:20
Yeap. But in the "brazilian portuguese" PHB, Spirited Charge was translated as "Mounted Charge", and Trample as... ass... man, I donīt know even the correct term.

Yes, we suffer some problems with the translations, here.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 14:17:25
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Spirited Charge and Trample are both detailed in the PHB!

in one of the Monster manuals there is also the greater charge feat, and the Miniatures has improved greater charge too..
Ergdusch Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 13:39:00
Spirited Charge and Trample are both detailed in the PHB!
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 13:13:15
Thanks for the kind replies, guys! Yes, itīs the Spirited Charge and Trample that Iīm searching.
Ergdusch Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 10:30:25
As Kuje already indicated: it is in Races of Faerun on page 132.

Centaur

Racial Feats: None but centaurs can acquire the SPirited Charge and Trample feats (ignoring the prerequisites) and apply the benefits to their own mellee attacks.
Eremite Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 03:43:26
I think it was the introduction of the armanite to 3E in the Book of Vile Darkness that convinced me that a centaur should be treated as having the Mounted Combat feat insofar as he was then eligible for the other feats in the chain. I seem to recall some notation that the armanite (or was it the baatezu equivalent?) was eligible for Ride-by Attack etc... so it seemed like a reasonable precedent for the centaur.

Oh, and centaurs with Ride-by Attack and Spirited Charge are unbelievable damage-dealers!
Kaladorm Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 18:50:10
There's a mounted combat tactical feat in complete warrior. I don't think a centaur could effectively execute the manouver where the rider jumps out of the saddle though.
Could be messy :)
Kuje Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 17:48:38
Races of Faerun. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 17:16:51
Savage Species, perhaps?

I really can't see why they'd not benefit from mounted feats; they might even have a minor bonus to them, since mounted feats are for someone on a mount (who would have balance issues and such), where centaurs are, in a way, both the mount and the mounted person.

I wouldn't go as far as to extend mounted feats to anyone actually mounted on a centaur, though.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 17:16:42
if I had to guess... either savage species or races of faerun

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000