Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Changes to Waterdeep Code Legal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gelcur Posted - 13 Oct 2018 : 22:02:01
So I'm preparing to run Dragon Heist and was reviewing the Code Legal. When trying to understand the laws stance on murder I found it odd.

Now it is a crime against the citizens, here.

It used to be a crime against the city, here.

So is the new wording an important difference? What makes one a citizen of the city? I imagine if there were no change they would have copy pasted the old wording. Thoughts?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Starshade Posted - 28 Oct 2018 : 09:14:36
Tbh most likely just a mistake, unless they wants to imply murder is no longer seen as anything special. I'd assume a Lawyer would interpret that as murder is now seen as a less severe incident, and is now having reduced penalty. Most likely interpreting it as having had a social collapse of sort, civil war, maybe Waterdeep once burned down, etc.
Lord Karsus Posted - 20 Oct 2018 : 16:47:52
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

So what happens when a visiting Cormyrean duke is murdered in Waterdeep? He's not a Citizen of Waterdeep. He's just a visiting dignitary. So…. how is that prosecuted?

-Just like real life, I would assume. If the Cormyrian government presses the issue, the Waterdhavian government would either investigate it themselves and issue a punishment that appeases the Cormyrians, or maybe the Cormyrians investigate things and mete out a punishment themselves with the approval of the Waterdhavians.
moonbeast Posted - 20 Oct 2018 : 16:10:24
So what happens when a visiting Cormyrean duke is murdered in Waterdeep? He's not a Citizen of Waterdeep. He's just a visiting dignitary. So…. how is that prosecuted?

sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2018 : 17:27:12
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I imagine the original reasoning was that being deceased the murdered party could not seek justice themselves so the city would seek it for them. It just seems odd that assualt, blackmail, murder and magical influence all specify "against a citizen" where many of the others don't. Not sure if that is intentional and if so what defines a citizen of the city.

Glad I'm not the only one catching odd little things like this.

What world are you from that being deceased prevents you from seeking justice? Dead people assaulting the living is just a fact of life.
Fineva Posted - 14 Oct 2018 : 05:35:42
My players wondered if they were from outside the city was it now open season on non citizens. Seems to defeat the purpose of a trade city.
Gelcur Posted - 14 Oct 2018 : 02:19:15
I imagine the original reasoning was that being deceased the murdered party could not seek justice themselves so the city would seek it for them. It just seems odd that assualt, blackmail, murder and magical influence all specify "against a citizen" where many of the others don't. Not sure if that is intentional and if so what defines a citizen of the city.

Glad I'm not the only one catching odd little things like this.
TomCosta Posted - 14 Oct 2018 : 00:46:09
I noticed that too. At some point it obviously changed. In game, there was probably some bureaucratic or political reason to do so, which could be any number of things. Out of game, I'm guessing the current designers thought it odd and moved it. It really doesn't have a huge impact where it is.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000