Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Symbols of Wizardry for heraldry

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 15:45:42
I kind of have been intrigued with heraldry for a while. I've also obviously been talking about an idea I've had for a returning red wizard presence from Abeir that opposes Tam and can be an interesting addition to a campaign (I call this the United Tharchs of Toril), especially if one leaves Faerun and heads into Maztica, Anchorome, Katashaka, etc.. but also having taken over portions of the eastern Shaar along the northern landrise.

So, I wanted to make heraldic devices for various tharchs and other organizations within the United Tharchs for fun. I also firmly believe that not all of these leaders necessarily see themselves as evil OR they don't want to portray themselves as such to the world. So, some of them may pervert symbology to put forth an image of "wholesomeness". So, I decided to do Mythrella'a's Tharch of Luneira, and I created a deep blue field with 8 stars of silver, gold & light blue, a large central crescent moon with a"smoky" grey interior, and a white Pegasus rampant with rainbow wings and a red mane/tail. Ironically, this symbology made me decide to have Mythrella'a experimenting to create such pegasi from Nimbraii stock.

Anyway, with heraldry, I've always liked the picture of "things" such as lions that are rampant or above a central device. This central device though is typically a crown, and that absolutely does not picture what I'm looking for in this instance. I have however always liked Impiltur's imagery of crossed wands. I wouldn't want to overuse that device though.

Anyway, I was playing with the idea of a "Hogwarts" style symbol to use for a school of magic in Peleveran to be led by Lauzoril, Dmitra and his kin, as well as Dmitra Flass. Since I'm picturing the school having access to quasi-magic items, the use of broomsticks and flying carpets (as well as flying mounts) in competitions somewhat similar to Quidditch seem appropriate. So, I though a crossed staff and broom, then a wavy bladed dagger resembling Shazzelim upright to the right, a crystal ball on the left, and a large book at the center over the crossed staff/broom (if the book/ball/dagger is too busy, I may reduce it). To the sides of this central symbol, I'd put a golden or black gryphon and either a white or black pegacorn. All of this would be on a background symbol of either a golden or red "dancing flame", and said flame would be on either a white or red background (I'm still playing with colors).

So, that being said, what are some "common"'ish symbols of "wizardry" that come to mind? I'll start off my list

wands
staves
daggers
crystal balls
broomsticks
flying carpet
scepters
potions
spellbooks
scrolls
reading glasses
scrying bowls
summoning diagrams
flying ships (spelljammers)
"wizard hat"/"witch hat"
robes that "look" magical (covered in symbols or such)
skulls with candles on them

and some others that aren't necessarily wizardish, but definitely remind one of magic or fantasy.
magic rings and amulets
magic lamps
magic mirrors
an archway that might represent a gate
flaming sword
wavy bladed weapons (such as a Kris dagger)

weapons that are wavy bladed but resembling flames (by that, I mean something like this https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OddlyShapedSword)

symbols of fire, lightning, snowflakes, etc...

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 12 Oct 2018 : 21:02:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

given the setting, a webwork or some such to symbolize the weave

I've always imagined the weave "looks" something like this:

https://depositphotos.com/118468986/stock-photo-web-weave-background.html

The Masked Mage Posted - 12 Oct 2018 : 20:24:35
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, from the above, I do like the concept of an eight pointed star, especially if each "point" came into the center as a separate triangle such that it kind of looks like 8 "diamonds / crystals" joined together or perhaps an even better one is this knotwork one... its only mildly "celtic" so it could fit most any culture.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/golden-glittering-logo-template-celtic-knots-371430730?src=8VxP1fVWTEg6UhXTkvRilg-1-16

If I were to take this concept further and put a symbol related to each school of magic (I've not seen a canon one, but I have seen some non canon ones that I liked) in each "precinct" of the star, it would make it more magical looking.

I also like the idea of putting symbology of the deities, and I was kind of hinting to that with the smoky interior of the moon of Luneira (hinting back to Leira). Still, a more concrete version would very much fit, and I do have the various tharchs having leanings towards certain gods of magic. For Peleveran, I was picturing the tharch's banner showing the ravine in the side of the land rise along with a waterfall from a decorated cave mouth and a river flowing "outward". This imagery would be somewhat similar to Mystra/Midnight's symbology. If I did the waters as blue instead of red and the 7 stars as red instead of blue.... it could give a hint of leanings to Mystra (also while in Abeir, there would be 7 major tharchs (I would call the "8th" one in islands nw of Osse more like a "vassal" as it owes its allegiance to Luneira and doesn't have its own leadership) so 7 red stars would also be a sign of the United Tharchs. I'd probably do them more as a slightly curved line though at the top of the "skyline" kind of like lining the top of the shield rather than a circle.

I also like the idea that within a given tharch there may be some kind of overarching symbology that ties a person's personal heraldry to the tharch (for instance, in the above example, everyone in Peleveran may adopt a "seven red stars"... everyone in Luneira may adopt a moon... everyone in Lopango, Land of Fire, may have a central flame or maybe two braziers on each side of things.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

On the personal houses,

In the old DMG or PLAYERS Handbook (black version of 2nd Ed) there was a diagram kinda like that for the schools of magic. Sorry - can't remember which and I don't have them any more to check.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Oct 2018 : 15:13:36
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Owls. Ravens. Hamsters.

lol, Hamsters? <looks over out of the corner of his eye at Wooly>

Hmmm, but yeah, I guess the more common familiars might be interesting on flags & heraldry... cats, bats, hunting birds, fox, snakes, parrots, vultures... and even the more exotic ones.. tressym, faerie dragons, pseudodragons, and maybe even imps, quasits, mephits,

I guess some other animals as well might be considered because their common to the region and considered "influential" in some way to the area.... things such as hunting cats, wolves, and exotic forms of such (winter wolves, displacer beasts, kamadans, etc..)… and maybe some particularly beautiful creatures such as hummingbirds, butterflies, etc...

Also, I guess golems and clockwork constructs and similar obvious constructs might also be viewed as a "wizard" sign.
Fineva Posted - 12 Oct 2018 : 06:20:32
Easy heraldry, use the item in ordinary, that is centred and untouched.

Eg: gules, a wand argent (color of background first, it's red, then the silver wand)

I too love the realms for heraldry!

Argent, 3 annulets, a sea Wyvern rampant, gules - my realms arms- white/silver background, 3 red rings at triangular corners of the shield and sea Wyvern (facing dexter) red.
moonbeast Posted - 12 Oct 2018 : 05:35:22
Owls. Ravens. Hamsters.

sleyvas Posted - 11 Oct 2018 : 14:15:58
Hmmm, from the above, I do like the concept of an eight pointed star, especially if each "point" came into the center as a separate triangle such that it kind of looks like 8 "diamonds / crystals" joined together or perhaps an even better one is this knotwork one... its only mildly "celtic" so it could fit most any culture.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/golden-glittering-logo-template-celtic-knots-371430730?src=8VxP1fVWTEg6UhXTkvRilg-1-16

If I were to take this concept further and put a symbol related to each school of magic (I've not seen a canon one, but I have seen some non canon ones that I liked) in each "precinct" of the star, it would make it more magical looking.

I also like the idea of putting symbology of the deities, and I was kind of hinting to that with the smoky interior of the moon of Luneira (hinting back to Leira). Still, a more concrete version would very much fit, and I do have the various tharchs having leanings towards certain gods of magic. For Peleveran, I was picturing the tharch's banner showing the ravine in the side of the land rise along with a waterfall from a decorated cave mouth and a river flowing "outward". This imagery would be somewhat similar to Mystra/Midnight's symbology. If I did the waters as blue instead of red and the 7 stars as red instead of blue.... it could give a hint of leanings to Mystra (also while in Abeir, there would be 7 major tharchs (I would call the "8th" one in islands nw of Osse more like a "vassal" as it owes its allegiance to Luneira and doesn't have its own leadership) so 7 red stars would also be a sign of the United Tharchs. I'd probably do them more as a slightly curved line though at the top of the "skyline" kind of like lining the top of the shield rather than a circle.

I also like the idea that within a given tharch there may be some kind of overarching symbology that ties a person's personal heraldry to the tharch (for instance, in the above example, everyone in Peleveran may adopt a "seven red stars"... everyone in Luneira may adopt a moon... everyone in Lopango, Land of Fire, may have a central flame or maybe two braziers on each side of things.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

On the personal houses,
Gelcur Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 23:28:12
If I were doing something like this I would imagine every house or lineage would have some outer symbol say laurels in a circle or two sets of crossed swords above and below, these would create a frame. Then in the center of the frame each individual wizard would use their personal rune, since the Realms already has a system for these. This way you are building on the magic aspect that already exists. Maybe the house founders rune is what the outer rune is and after he passed Mystra would allow it to be used as a lineage rune?

I always liked the idea that Mystra herself self protected counterfeit mage runes once they reached a certain level. Would be fun to see more little things like that.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 21:57:53
I might also recommend a star with a point for each Zulkir
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 21:57:22
given the setting, a webwork or some such to symbolize the weave
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 18:43:33
Stars and planets are popular for wizards in children's literature.

I'd add various runes (not necessarily magical ones), as well.

Lord Karsus's suggestion has merit, too.
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 18:22:38
-The holy symbol of Mystra and/or Azuth.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000