Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 History of the Duergar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starshade Posted - 04 Oct 2018 : 14:22:02
Is there some background beyond the 3.5 Races of Faerun on the ancient background of Duergar, and the bad relation between Shield dwarves and Grey dwaves?
And what would an Duergar actually know of this?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 06 Oct 2018 : 03:43:40
Master Rupert,

Ehhhh.......geez....that quite literally makes me nauseous at the thought.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Mordenakainen: Tome of Foes have the most current version of the Duergar affair.

...And it'll be wildly changed again for 6E, in another year or two.

cpthero2 Posted - 06 Oct 2018 : 03:42:57
Master Zeromaru X,

Thank you for listing that. I didn't know that that was covered in that book.

Best regards,

quote:

Mordenakainen: Tome of Foes have the most current version of the Duergar affair.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Oct 2018 : 20:25:07
quote:

...And it'll be wildly changed again for 6E, in another year or two.
Zeromaru X Posted - 04 Oct 2018 : 19:55:29
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Oct 2018 : 17:14:02
What would an everyday duergar know of the ancient history of their race is very much up for debate.

I would use real world examples for this. I live in England and we have a national history dating back a about 2000 years. If I were to ask a friend of mine he would likely recall 1066 where the normans invaded from France (and wrongly conclude the normans were french) and that the Romans invaded about a thousand years before that. His recall of more recent history would be better, noting world war 1 and 2 and perhaps a few other notable periods; industrial revolution etc.

That is a modern person who was educated to a limited degree about history in school.

Now if we go back to medieval times which I believe FR generally emulates (in some places late medieval), schooling is patchy for most and quality is erratic. The educated may know similar details to my friend above and so may know that the duergar were enslaved by illithids and that it was the shield dwarves fault.
A commoner would have to rely on history in the form of folk tales passed down from his parents, I always imagined these to take the form of Scandinavian stories, so the events and people involved may be greatly exageratted to the point that they barely resemble the official version (and as any historian will tell you, the official version can change drastically as time moves on).

So in short. Average duergar probably know a story about how the evil dwarves of the South persecuted the clan duergar and drove it north into the illithids who enslaved then for a thousand years until king laduguer and deep duerra rescued them from. Any other history they recall will be large events such as invasions or migrations. More recent history may even recall recent wars or notable kings.
An educated duergar may recall more specific dates and a general overview of notable events but their lack of interest means they will recall little more than their uneducated counterparts (although the versions of events will differ slightly).

That's my take on things anyway.
Brimstone Posted - 04 Oct 2018 : 16:49:25
This Scroll was a recent topic of discussion about the Duergar/Shield Dwarf split.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000