Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 This story may be relevant to your interests...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ElaineCunningham Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 17:41:48
Here's a link to a tale I posted today on my Patreon account. It's a public post, so everyone can read it. I'm sharing it here because you might notice a slight similarity between Lord Thaine and another elf we know and love. :).

I post montly writing articles and the occasional free story, so you don't need to be a Patron to read stuff on my account (unless, of course, you WANT to be..." If you're interested in getting notices of new posts, stories, and articles, you can "follow" my account without subscribing.

Hope you'll read the tale.

Best,
ec

https://www.patreon.com/posts/wolves-and-21768989
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ElaineCunningham Posted - 19 Oct 2018 : 12:29:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Having something of the wolf in him does make sense, though, for a similar elf we all know and love, because his "serpent"-like nature could just as readily be described as lupine. He's certainly got many of the features oft associated with wolves.

I've noticed that.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 19 Oct 2018 : 12:27:42
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

quote:
I felt it was because Elaith was not, for a long time, his own person -- he was basically who he thought he was expected to be. Elaith looked for the role he was expected to fulfill, concentrated on fulfilling it, and never thought about moving beyond that role. He seemed incapable of realizing that he could be more than just that role. In short, he lacked the mental flexibility to chart a course beyond the expectations of others, and to grow as a person. It's only when he is actively striving to be more and thinking beyond the expected role that he's able to reawaken his moonblade.

There was a line, I think it was in the first book, that went something like:
"It is not enough to know the rules. You must also know when to break them."

It explained Elaith's failure and has besides been one of my favorite quotes ever since. :)

Thank you! This comes from "The More Things Change," a story in the anthology Realms of Infamy. It was reprinted in the collection Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham., aka the only Realms book with a neon lime green cover.
Misereor Posted - 15 Oct 2018 : 10:19:41
quote:
I felt it was because Elaith was not, for a long time, his own person -- he was basically who he thought he was expected to be. Elaith looked for the role he was expected to fulfill, concentrated on fulfilling it, and never thought about moving beyond that role. He seemed incapable of realizing that he could be more than just that role. In short, he lacked the mental flexibility to chart a course beyond the expectations of others, and to grow as a person. It's only when he is actively striving to be more and thinking beyond the expected role that he's able to reawaken his moonblade.

There was a line, I think it was in the first book, that went something like:
"It is not enough to know the rules. You must also know when to break them."

It explained Elaith's failure and has besides been one of my favorite quotes ever since. :)

Renin Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 20:57:56
Thank you for spending the time on a story like this to share!
Fineva Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 23:37:26
Wonderful story!
TBeholder Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 20:44:00
Great!
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I honestly don't remember and all of my books are packed up. Elaith was rejected by the moonblade...why?

See also the previous answer, in the proper thread for questions.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 13:29:31
quote:

Good observations. Also, sometimes the magic of the sword simply wasn't compatible with the abilities of the wielder. It's not necessarily a case of "unworthyy." A scholarly elf without much in the way of weapons training is not going to inherit a warrior's sword. In most cases, the history of a sword is well known by the potential heirs, and they can make an informed choice about whether to claim it or hold it in trust for another elf whose skills better suit the powers in the sword.

Elaith was a baby when Craulnober Keep was destroyed. He didn't have the preparation most moonblade heirs enjoyed. Histories and legends give a general idea of what any given blade can do, and Elaith trained as a warrior and a mage in preparation. No one had any reason to suspect that there might be some other factor in play--except, perhaps, a certain fey woman and the old northerner who, for undisclosed reasons, was unable to speak out. So when Elaith attempted to claim the blade and failed, he assumed that his failure spoke to some deep and fundamental flaw, a sign that he was "unworthy."

That was a paradigm shift for him, a moment that changed the course of his life. For several decades, Elaith's driving force was a bitter self-loathing that, all too often, expressed itself in ruthlessness, even cruelty. People tend to make decisions based on their self-concept. If he was a "bad elf," by the gods, he was going to be GOOD at being bad...

He comes full circle, in a way, in the short story "Redemption" in the anthology Realms of War when he realized that he can provide a unique and important service to the elven people by doing things no "good elf" should have to do. It was a bittersweet revelation, at best, but he is at peace with it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Oct 2018 : 03:53:39
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I honestly don't remember and all of my books are packed up. Elaith was rejected by the moonblade...why? Basically, it sensed in him the latent evil that would manifest in in him after being rejected by it and judged him unworthy as a result?

Lord Karsus Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 22:51:21
-I honestly don't remember and all of my books are packed up. Elaith was rejected by the moonblade...why? Basically, it sensed in him the latent evil that would manifest in in him after being rejected by it and judged him unworthy as a result?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 20:31:17
Interesting. This kind of implies that our Lord Thaile is wolfkin, not a regular elf. That would be an interesting reason for his rejection by a magical blade that only regular elves could inherit.

One would assume, though, given his parentage, that your Lord Thaile had both types of blood, though more "wolfkin" than regular elf.

Having something of the wolf in him does make sense, though, for a similar elf we all know and love, because his "serpent"-like nature could just as readily be described as lupine. He's certainly got many of the features oft associated with wolves.
Demzer Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 19:48:06
Beautiful and a pleasure to read, as always. Many thanks for sharing!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000