Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Leaving Abreil Toril consequence?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:25:02
Does leaving the planets or solar system cause problems with various deities or magic use, particularly if your magic is weave bound? Does magic on the plane of fire work different than in the Forgotten realms? Is Kossuth only one fire element that has forgotten realm influence while other worlds have others?

Questions so many questions...
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 14:31:19
Many gods, goddesses, deities, powers, celestials, fiends, monsters, immortals, and other entities from the Outer Planes have managed to assume divine stations within their various extraplanar or worldly domains. Some have even ascended from the Primes, beginning their existences as mere mortals. So it seems quite obvious to me that powerful Inner Planar creatures could accomplish the same, whether they find/establish followers from their own planes or from somewhere else.

And the existence of divine hierarchies implies that if a bigger god wants to allow or deny some smaller god from governing a specific portfolio then so be it. If Big Boss Ao plucked Kossuth out of some random fireplace to be his fire god in the Realms then that's just the way it is and not even Kossuth himself could refuse.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 13:19:05
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Does leaving the planets or solar system cause problems with various deities or magic use, particularly if your magic is weave bound? Does magic on the plane of fire work different than in the Forgotten realms? Is Kossuth only one fire element that has forgotten realm influence while other worlds have others?

the planets and solar system are still considered in the same crystal sphere (that's assuming of course that that "structure" still exists now in 5e, but for the sake of argument, let's assume so) and all magic within Realmspace is under the same ruleset according to what we've been led to believe. There may be some local areas though that are areas of wild magic or dead magic (or "some other kinda magical influence"), just as there are on Toril. Just as there was a shadow weave, and Lolth was trying to build a "demon weave"... of which I can honestly tell little other than she failed.... there can be alternate sources of power. I know you have hinted at this concept, and if its done WELL, I support the idea. Essentially, unlike others, I don't view the weave as the power SOURCE. I view the weave as the programming language used to utilize various sources. Thus, this programming language known as the weave may be "incompatible" with certain "applications"/power sources. Other "weaves" may be able to access other power sources but not the energy which powers "wizard" magic. However, much like windows, by Mystra making her "language" easy to use and abundantly available rather than "machine language", those who use the weave and its "shortcuts" become much more capable than say a group that tries to create their own "programming language" to use a power source.

As to how magic works on other planes, there are always rules that make magic work differently on X plane versus Y plane.

As to whether Kossuth is THE ruler of the elemental plane of fire OR just one of many powerful fire primordials, we have no definitive answer. However, given the number of primordial entities with links to fire, I would be given to lean towards the concept that he's just one of many. While some would say that Kossuth and others are just the Melnibonean elemental lords (Grome/Earth, Straasha/water, Misha/air, Kakatal/fire), I would lean more towards the concept that those beings in some unknown prime are just other primordials worshipped as divine beings.
Ayrik Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 13:10:39
Spelljammer describes how different spheres (and the stuff between them) affect magics. Planescape describes how different planes affect magics. Each world/campaign setting offers a large enough sampling to judge how specific magics are generally treated. There's even rules about creating alternate worlds/settings ("Alternate Prime Material Planes") which are low-magic, high-magic, low-tech, high-tech, any combination thereof, etc.

Kossuth might be known by other names in other places. Or he might be a Realms aspect of some other pan-Kossuth entity, much as Realms-Tyr is an aspect of Norse-Tyr. There seems to be some sort of fire deity/power in every major pantheon.

Different worlds can have different "connections" or "distances" between themselves and (elemental) planes; a world might have a strong affinity for water and a weak affinity for fire, etc. Deities/powers can also interpose bridges or barriers between such things, perhaps even providing (or forcing) flames to exist on a world only through a manifestation of divine magic invoked by their faithful.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:46:35
Hoo, boy...

quote:

Does leaving the planets or solar system cause problems with various deities or magic use,

The deities don't care if you leave the Realms. Elminster himself has traveled to a lot of planes, to other spheres, and even to Earth.

For the most part, going from one Prime to another has no impact on magic use, though there are exceptions -- if it was possible to travel to Athas, a spellcaster may find himself rather surprised at the way things work.

quote:

particularly if your magic is weave bound?

Think of the Weave as a power grid. You're just plugging into it -- the power it provides isn't any different from the power elsewhere.

Spellslingers can travel to or from the Realms to other Primes without their spellcasting being affected, assuming there aren't some odd local rules in place (like in Athas). A spellcaster from Oerth, for example, could travel from Greyhawk to Waterdeep to Palanthas to Generic D&D Campaign World #4302 without any effect to his use of magic.

This all pertains to the canon Weave, of course. Lurue only knows how it works with your Red Weave.

quote:

Does magic on the plane of fire work different than in the Forgotten realms?

Some of the planes do have different effects on magic. I don't recall anything specific off the top of my head, but I'd imagine that fire magic is enhanced on the plane of fire.

You'd need to get into Planescape lore for more specifics.

quote:

Is Kossuth only one fire element that has forgotten realm influence while other worlds have others?

He's the main power of fire on Toril, yes, but other worlds can have other deities of fire.

quote:

It's what we're here for.
LordofBones Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:41:20
Magic works according to the rules of whichever plane you're standing on. Mystra only has power in Realmspace; that is, as long as you're in the Forgotten Realms crystal sphere, your magic is beholden to the Weave, while in Greyspace magic is the dominion of Boccob (and Wee Jas), who tends to be more relaxed and uncaring. The elemental deities are, as far as I know, only worshipped in Realmspace, but they're sufficiently respected enough in their respective elemental planes that none of the local powers, divine or otherwise, bother them.

And yes, magic on the Elemental Plane of Fire works differently. Spellcasters trying to cast spells with the water descriptor must make a Spellcraft check or the spell fails, while fire spells are maximized and enlarged.

The Realms does have multispheric deities and deities who share their domains with different gods. Offhand, Mellifleur and Velsharoon share the necropolis of Death's Embrace in Gehenna, Lathander shares his divine realm with a Hindu deity and Waukeen's realm is shared with three other deities of wealth, including the Kynnish deity Shinare.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000