Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zhentil keep maps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fineva Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 04:24:56
I'm working on rebuilding Zhentil keep.
First is there a reason not to? Will Bane get angry, etc?
Second, the reason to rebuild...according to new videos the Zents have amassed a powerful set of mercenary forces working for the realms. They have big money. The problem with mafioso with big money is being seen as weak, not protecting their guys. Since it is too easy to raid zent guarded caravans, a fortress centred in the lucrative lands between Waterdeep and the East would be logical. This could then house exotic hippo griff/Wyvern patrols, etc, to keep the routes safer (but not bother the North with proximity)
See any holes? Better ideas?
Thanks,
-Fineva
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Misereor Posted - 25 Sep 2018 : 20:29:47
quote:
Originally posted by Fineva
3- now that we have a few reasons, let me ask for where to find maps of past keeps. (The actual title of this thread)

The Forgotten Realms Atlas (2e):
Maps and description of the Keep as originally designed.
Also maps of Manshoon's High Tower and the Temple of Bane.

Forgotten Realms Adventures (2e):
Same city map as TFRA, but with more details on locations and infrastructure. Also has a section on the church of Bane, and a chapter about the Zhentarim. Best resource IMO.

Ruins of Zhentil Keep (2e):
Entire boxed set about the Keep post Cyric's Horde destruction.

Fineva Posted - 25 Sep 2018 : 00:36:33
So, that being said, as the Zents are mercs...
1- they can get deals from lords alliance to help rebuild. They already guard a lot of lords caravans. Possible?
2- they can hold the region as part of the LA, yes?
3- now that we have a few reasons, let me ask for where to find maps of past keeps. (The actual title of this thread)
Thanks,
Fineva
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 20:42:06
The Zhent mercenary forces are what one would call the Western Zhentarim - The Zhents out of Darkhold, led by the Pereghost.

I too am working on rebuilding Zhentil Keep. This is being done, as originally by Ed in the Keep's history, by mercantile interests. For all the reasons Misereor mentioned, Zhentil Keep is in a good location. It has been destroyed twice before in recent times and rebuilt, as well as two other times much earlier. It is always rebuilt because it is profitable to do so. If no-one in the Moonsea did it, than Semians would.

Once the Keep is built, it should be fine. Every time it was destroyed was basically a RSE - time of trouble - flight of dragons, etc.; the last time was just a WOTC wand wave - Zhentil Keep is destroyed by Shadowvar! Presto Chango!
Misereor Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 12:34:41

A few questions and comments:

- Tyrants like power and since Bane played no part when it was originally razed, I doubt he would have any objections to building a new Keep that could enhance his position.

- The original Zhentil Keep was in an excellent position.
It was at the mouth of a river, allowing for easy transport and trade, bordered by terrain that was difficult to traverse for any army big enough to pose a threat.
Directly North was the Citadel of the Raven, to the South the Elven court, to the East Teshwave, and to the West the Moonsea and lesser cities that were often dominated by the Keep and could act as meatshields. It was located so it had agriculture, fishing, lumber, and mining. So there was physical security, materials for a navy and trade ships, food for a large population, and the materials needed for a manufacturing base. Bane might have been the patron deity of the Keep, but industry and trade was the lifeblood. It was practically a dark version of Medieval Venice. You may decide how much the Zhents want to keep this in mind when designing their new Keep.

- What is the reason all these mercenary companies don't go solo, and what role could a new Keep play in this?
Could it be the home of many of their families, and their physical protection is a consideration? Security from foreign enemies and useful hostages for tyrants who like to have a hold on their servants? Chaotic evil tyrants use chains, brute force, and intimidation to enslave others. Lawful Evil tyrants use guile, indoctrination, and greed to do so.

- Why would anyone pay taxes to others, except for the physical security they provide?
If the Zhents are capable of providing that themselves, why wouldn't they think their people ought to keep the fruits of their labors for themselves?
The Zhents may be looking for more than just a trade hub. It is all too possible they want a permanent home of their own.

- Since the Keep has been razed multiple times, the survivors are likely to be more paranoid about security than previously (if that is possible). Physical, magical, and informational.
They may even conduct preemptive strikes to weaken or neutralize anything they perceive to be a threat in the vicinity of their new city (Goblinoids, Dragons, Archwizards, Apple Plantations, Thieves guilds, Halfling Cheeeese dairies*, etc). Once the new Keep is built, what will it take to keep it standing?

* http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Luiren_spring_cheese

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000