Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Weak magical property list

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17 Sep 2018 : 21:58:11
Hello, I was wondering if some of you would know a list/generator of weak magical property? I'm aiming for things like i.e.
frodo's blade which become blue when orcs are near.
glyph of weight reduction
Doesn't rust/break
etc..
I've seen a lot of generator on the web but usually they end up giving variation around "damage bonus" "skill bonus" (... ) or take the path of magical surge like "your right foot become a sentient singing flower"

If there is none I may try to do one by myself. Tell me if you'd like to see it, it might motivate me

Any ways thanks!
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 13:01:12
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It probably wouldn't work that way if the person was wearing Revlon's lip concealer.

LOL, good one. Damn, now you have it stuck in my head that I should make an illusionist/priest of Leira from Nimbral named Revlon who travels the world selling creams, lotions, potions, makeup, etc... to make one look different, exotic, and sexy.
Ayrik Posted - 22 Sep 2018 : 17:19:50
It probably wouldn't work that way if the person was wearing Revlon's lip concealer.
sleyvas Posted - 22 Sep 2018 : 16:03:27
quote:

But I like nifty minor "not sexy" magical properties, lol, all stuff which can be cast/maintained (by the user or the item) through low-level spells.

A few I've seen in game ...

A pirate's cutlass which floats on the surface of water.
A spyglass/telescope with clairaudience which can listen in on whatever's being observed.
A cup which casts neutralize poison on its contents.
A staff which can be retracted/extended to varying lengths, with retractable blades which can form it into a spear or polearm weapon.
My favourite figurine of wondrous power - the Red Herring.
A suit of armor with permanent mending, quickly closes punctures and straightens dents and reattaches severed pieces when they are held in place.
A shield with a hypnotic pattern painted on the outer facing.
A hollow weapon hilt which emits musical notes when struck against hard surfaces, discordant notes when struck against secret doors/panels.
Manacles which cast heat metal or shocking grasp whenever they're strained.
A high-collared cloak or cape which dramatically flares and flows whenever the wearer wants to look more intimidating.
A bag which casts mirror image on its contents once per day (which I've seen players fill with coins, gemstones, or caltrops).
A fishing rod which always catches something after a coin is thrown in the water.
Boots which can increase the wearer's height by up to 6 inches on command.
A compass which always points true dragon.
A necklace which could enlarge/reduce itself into a chain of massive proportions on command.
Gloves with extradimensional compartments built into them, able to contain any sort of object which could be gripped.

That spyglass idea is very keen. It could also be interesting if the bonus it gives is simple a bonus to a chance of reading lips by giving a naturally sharper focus on things like heads, etc...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Sep 2018 : 15:07:31
That makes me realize, though, that there is probably a market for magic potions that are basically Nair (for those wishing to get rid of hair) and Rogaine (for those wishing to combat baldness).

Imagine a salon in a place like Waterdeep, a place that uses magic for hair care. Want your hair longer and a different color? A couple quick spells and you're good! How about having a tricky hairdo for tonight's gala? A spell to set the hair in a particular position, another to hold it there for say 12 hours, and you're ready to rock.
LordofBones Posted - 22 Sep 2018 : 08:03:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

But I like nifty minor "not sexy" magical properties, lol, all stuff which can be cast/maintained (by the user or the item) through low-level spells.

So do I, and I'll be ganking your list, momentarily.

But when I reference something being "sexy" in D&D, I'm referring to the kind of thing that is seen more often in game material: instead of a floating sword, you'll see a +7 Vorpal Sword of Badassery that gives a massive bonus to hit and damage, adds points to your Charisma (and doubles it, with regard to the opposite sex), and shall we say makes sure your little warrior is a longsword and not just a dagger.

That's what gets into the game books, not something like the magical hair dye I once came up with to explain artistic inconsistencies.

Somewhere, a creative wizard makes a living creating the magical equivalent of pranking equipment, like a hair restoration potion that lasts for as long as there are no people in the room, or a cough drop that turns the consumer's next speech into a line of expletives, only the consumer hears everything as though he said it normally.
The Masked Mage Posted - 22 Sep 2018 : 00:29:08
Can you honestly argue that's not the best trophy magic item ever conceived? That shite would be hanging over my mantle for eternity!
Ayrik Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 16:35:32
A +3 wabbit swayer sword?
The Masked Mage Posted - 21 Sep 2018 : 08:57:07
quote:

Continual light could be cast on chalk to make luminous markings for those dungeon crawls, one casting goes a long way if you don't come prepared with a bag full of glowing pebbles/coins/etc.
A PC wizard used continual light on inks so she could read her spellbooks and scrolls in the dark.
It's also useful for detecting (and mapping out the perimeters of) anti-magic and dead magic zones.
It can be cast on arrowheads useful for firing at or into all sorts of targets (especially light-sensitive creatures like orcs and drow).

And the reverse - continual darkness - is useful for all sorts of stealth or tactical things, especially on terrain the ambusher/defender knows well, especially if combined with other sensory cues/tricks/magics which give an advantage to one side.

I agree with Wooly, a +7 vorpal sword of badassery might be the favoured tool when you're hunting Tarrasques, but a +3 sword of heroes (which bathes the wielder in a shaft of golden radiance, makes his hair gleam magnificently, and plays epic Wagnerian opera every time it is unsheathed) is just more fun to play with.

I'd agree, but only if the tune was a stirring rendition of Warner Brother's "Kill The Wabbit!"
Ayrik Posted - 20 Sep 2018 : 21:49:15
Continual light could be cast on chalk to make luminous markings for those dungeon crawls, one casting goes a long way if you don't come prepared with a bag full of glowing pebbles/coins/etc.
A PC wizard used continual light on inks so she could read her spellbooks and scrolls in the dark.
It's also useful for detecting (and mapping out the perimeters of) anti-magic and dead magic zones.
It can be cast on arrowheads useful for firing at or into all sorts of targets (especially light-sensitive creatures like orcs and drow).

And the reverse - continual darkness - is useful for all sorts of stealth or tactical things, especially on terrain the ambusher/defender knows well, especially if combined with other sensory cues/tricks/magics which give an advantage to one side.

I agree with Wooly, a +7 vorpal sword of badassery might be the favoured tool when you're hunting Tarrasques, but a +3 sword of heroes (which bathes the wielder in a shaft of golden radiance, makes his hair gleam magnificently, and plays epic Wagnerian opera every time it is unsheathed) is just more fun to play with.
The Masked Mage Posted - 20 Sep 2018 : 06:43:14
Still one of the most useful magical effects in the game are continual light sources. Such a basic magic, but you cast it a couple times on some stones or whatever and it eliminates one of the biggest headaches of exploring dungeons - darkness. Bring along a sack and then leave them behind you to light your escape, etc.

One thing I never understood about "popular dungeons" was how they could last so long without people coming in and illuminating the whole place for their own ease.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Sep 2018 : 03:25:51
quote:

So do I, and I'll be ganking your list, momentarily.

But when I reference something being "sexy" in D&D, I'm referring to the kind of thing that is seen more often in game material: instead of a floating sword, you'll see a +7 Vorpal Sword of Badassery that gives a massive bonus to hit and damage, adds points to your Charisma (and doubles it, with regard to the opposite sex), and shall we say makes sure your little warrior is a longsword and not just a dagger.

That's what gets into the game books, not something like the magical hair dye I once came up with to explain artistic inconsistencies.
Ayrik Posted - 20 Sep 2018 : 03:10:03

A few I've seen in game ...

A pirate's cutlass which floats on the surface of water.
A spyglass/telescope with clairaudience which can listen in on whatever's being observed.
A cup which casts neutralize poison on its contents.
A staff which can be retracted/extended to varying lengths, with retractable blades which can form it into a spear or polearm weapon.
My favourite figurine of wondrous power - the Red Herring.
A suit of armor with permanent mending, quickly closes punctures and straightens dents and reattaches severed pieces when they are held in place.
A shield with a hypnotic pattern painted on the outer facing.
A hollow weapon hilt which emits musical notes when struck against hard surfaces, discordant notes when struck against secret doors/panels.
Manacles which cast heat metal or shocking grasp whenever they're strained.
A high-collared cloak or cape which dramatically flares and flows whenever the wearer wants to look more intimidating.
A bag which casts mirror image on its contents once per day (which I've seen players fill with coins, gemstones, or caltrops).
A fishing rod which always catches something after a coin is thrown in the water.
Boots which can increase the wearer's height by up to 6 inches on command.
A compass which always points true dragon.
A necklace which could enlarge/reduce itself into a chain of massive proportions on command.
Gloves with extradimensional compartments built into them, able to contain any sort of object which could be gripped.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 19:57:04
quote:

quote:
... Raistlin was not one who frivolously used magic.
True. Although I wouldn't really call this a frivolous use for a someone so physically fragile that he could barely even stand some of the time, lol. An unseen servant can "push, pull, drag, lift, or hold up to 40 pounds of weight" and for an archmage it would basically have a duration of "all day" ... which must be pretty handy for a feeble wimp with less brawn and stamina than an elderly kobold.

I would describe the effect as an unseen servant or as a cantrip mostly because it seems a trivial enough application of magic that it doesn't need any special writeup. But it could still be a specific magical property nonetheless, whatever works. The novels only described the effect, they didn't name the spell.

What I meant was that it seemed to be an built-in, continuously effective function of the Staff -- not a spell that was cast or even an invoked effect. It just happened.

An unseen servant could do that, but there wasn't any other demonstrated unseen servant capabilities.

I think that "leave it here" property of the Staff was ignored in game material because it wasn't sexy, would have little in-game effect, and was only mentioned, in passing, a few times across two trilogies. (I don't recall if Palin ever used that function; I didn't care for the later stuff nearly as much as the Chronicles and Legends)
Ayrik Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 18:36:25
quote:
... Raistlin was not one who frivolously used magic.
True. Although I wouldn't really call this a frivolous use for a someone so physically fragile that he could barely even stand some of the time, lol. An unseen servant can "push, pull, drag, lift, or hold up to 40 pounds of weight" and for an archmage it would basically have a duration of "all day" ... which must be pretty handy for a feeble wimp with less brawn and stamina than an elderly kobold.

I would describe the effect as an unseen servant or as a cantrip mostly because it seems a trivial enough application of magic that it doesn't need any special writeup. But it could still be a specific magical property nonetheless, whatever works. The novels only described the effect, they didn't name the spell.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 14:10:13
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

In the Dragonlance novels, the Staff of Magius had one property that I don't think was ever covered in game material -- but it's one that I always thought was really, really cool: whenever Raistlin released the Staff, it stayed right where he left it, in the same position. So it would stay upright, without any support. He also used it to jam some gears in Xak Tsaroth, despite the fact that regular wood would have splintered and broken in the same position.

That would be very much like an immovable rod. I'm betting not exactly, but fairly close.

It's not described as being used as an immovable rod, though. There is a bit of similarity, but I don't recall the Staff doing anything other than staying upright, when in contact with one or more surfaces -- on the ground, leaning against a wall, etc. In other words, it stayed handy. An immovable rod, as I recall, could be left in mid-air and used for support and such -- the Staff was always in contact with something.

So, similar in that neither item went anywhere, but dissimilar in that the entire function of the immovable rod is to be an immobile support, and the Staff only demonstrated an ability to not fall over.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 12:35:22
quote:

In the Dragonlance novels, the Staff of Magius had one property that I don't think was ever covered in game material -- but it's one that I always thought was really, really cool: whenever Raistlin released the Staff, it stayed right where he left it, in the same position. So it would stay upright, without any support. He also used it to jam some gears in Xak Tsaroth, despite the fact that regular wood would have splintered and broken in the same position.

That would be very much like an immovable rod. I'm betting not exactly, but fairly close.
The Masked Mage Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 12:26:58
The som trick has been built into multiple items over the years, including several specifically from the FR. Usually it is a throw-away add on power as it would be for the som. Note, the Staff of Magius is a unique item, staff of the magi are not - similar name, different item.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 09:50:47
quote:

I think Raistlin's trick was just an application of unseen servant - the sort of thing which could easily be cast/sustained by a staff of the (arch)magi or its wielder. And one of the low-level spells which can be made permanent.
A more generous DM might even allow it to be a specialized cantrip.

He wasn't described as using a spell in the cases where we saw the Staff do that, and Raistlin was not one who frivolously used magic. It definitely appeared to be some property of the Staff itself.
Ayrik Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 05:49:15
I think Raistlin's trick was just an application of unseen servant - the sort of thing which could easily be cast/sustained by a staff of the (arch)magi or its wielder. And one of the low-level spells which can be made permanent.
A more generous DM might even allow it to be a specialized cantrip.

One of the FR novels (can't remember which) described a wizard who would let go of his lantern in this fashion, it continued to hover unmoving while he'd rummage for components or scribble things down or read his maps. One of the old adventure modules (can't remember which) described a magic-user reading large spell books which always remained suspended in the last position he moved them.
The Masked Mage Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 05:45:44
If you look in 2nd edition sources, like the Book of Artifacts or the Encyclopedia Magica, they have numerous magical property generation tables - some of them with minor or "weak" powers - some with ultra-powerful "cataclysmic" powers.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Sep 2018 : 03:17:06
sleyvas Posted - 18 Sep 2018 : 22:57:46
23) Direction Finding
The item, if held, can be asked to point in one of the 8 cardinal directions (N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W,NW)

24) Dowsing rod
The item, if held, will be able to point towards the nearest source of fresh, salt, brackish, or polluted water (type chosen when activated). When pointed at a fire no bigger than a small campfire that is smoldering (not full flames), it can extinguish any remaining flame.

25) Firestarter
The item can produce the equivalent flame of a large match for a period of up to a minute at a time. Typically placed upon wands or small weapons like daggers to light campfires, cigars, or smoking pipes.

26) Skeleton Key
The item automatically unlocks any lock whose DC is extremely low (I'd have to actually figure out what low would be) that its touched to and opening it a crack. Effectively duplicating a little less than what a 1st level rogue could do.

27) Temperature Regulator
The item makes the temperature within a foot of the wielder up to 20 degrees hotter or colder. Generally a part of armor, robes, or similar body wear.

28) Cleaning
Removes stains from clothes and food from plates, pots, and utensils upon command

29) Perfumed
Produces one of a variety of smells upon command. Can be used to throw off creatures that track via scent. It can also be used to both talk to and understand Saurials. Generally produced by jewelry

30) Seasoning
Produces one of several basic seasonings (salt, black pepper, sugar, etc..) in small amounts upon command. Usually produced by wands.

n/a Posted - 18 Sep 2018 : 20:44:12
thx for the link.

I managed to put together some effects more oriented toward narration. It's mostly for inspiration so they are note very detailed. ( and sorry for my, sometimes, approximate english )

1. Singing
Produce a whistling melody whenever used.
2. Foe detection
Change color when a certain foe is nearby
3. minor light
Produce minor torch-like light
4. Weight reduction
Weight less
5. Resistant
Doesn't break, rust or get spoiled.
6. Age deceptive
Wielder appears much younger/older.
7. Height deceptive
Wielder appears a bit taller/smaller
8. Pain amplifier
Increase the pain felt.
9. Pain nullify
nullify the pain.
10. Hided magic
Items hide a more powerful magic behind a spell which make it looks like dull.
11. Desire seeking
Item point/pull toward the wielder biggest desire.
12. Prestidigitation
Wielder can do low magical prestidigitation.
13. Relaxation
Wielder emit a small aura of calm.
14. Night watchmen
Wielder sleep 2 hours less without being tired.
15. Grounded
Wielder is more steady on his feet.
16. Language knowledge.
Allow to understand one or many languages.
17. Nourishment
Provide basic nourishment.
18. Increased walking speed.
Walking speed is increased.
19. Loyalty
The item can't be lost or stolen and must be willingly given.
20. Weather resistance.
The carrier withstand hard weather easily.
21. Necessity
The item has a great magical effect but with a strong cost.
22. Reputation
This item has a great reputation which can cause fear, inspire courage etc.
Lord Karsus Posted - 18 Sep 2018 : 00:20:30
-Just a list, not a generator:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2amida/minor_magical_properties/

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000