Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Checking for Spelljamming References in 4e Lore

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Storyteller Hero Posted - 11 Sep 2018 : 23:52:07
Outside of the Blades of the Moonsea novel trilogy, were there any references to spelljamming during the 4e/Spellplague Era?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 16:07:03
For me, most of the changes seemed like changes to change something without a real reason. Then they added some things while eliminating other similar things and I was like why would you do that?
sleyvas Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 13:55:58
Yeah, I will say... I was very turned off by what they did in 4e to a lot of places, but I will give them props where they made improvements. Vaasa I feel was an improvement with the Warlock Knights and the concept of Telos the primordial with Felliron. I would have preferred Damara and Impiltur to have NOT fallen mind you. Tymanther was a nice improvement, but it didn't need to wipe out Unther. In fact, it would have fit in well in some of the empty space of the Shaar. Similarly, I enjoyed the city of Airspur in Akanul… but I would have been just as happy with a single city. It didn't need to be a whole country. I never read the novels, but the idea of the Leshay returning to the Moonshaes, and making that area a LOT more fey.. I actually like that as well. It makes a lot of the islands of Faerun's coast either very "Viking" or very "Fey" (I would classify Evermeet, some of the Moonshaes, and Nimbral all as having fey leanings). Returned Abeir was to me... meh... okay, and worth keeping... but not amazing. Now a lot of the other stuff.... ok, they turned me thoroughly by simply making change for change's sake. I can understand that its not seen that way from someone coming in on the tail end of it, and not looking to start up any bashing, just did want to give some props for some of the 4e stuff that I liked.
Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 03:59:47
Well, if this helps you, mechanically speaking in 4e Spelljammers could move in the "void between worlds" (I guess, wild space) and also allows travel to other planes.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

What Ed had said was interesting, as it almost indicates that Abeir's sky connects to the phlogiston without necessarily having a crystal sphere around it.

Originally posted by Gray Richardson

If it helps, here's Ed Greenwood's answer regarding Abeir and spelljamming that he gave over on Matt's Loremaster website:

Ed Greenwood
November 22, 2009
If you spelljammed up off Abeir, where you found yourself would depend on WHEN you left the surface of Abeir.
If it was immediately before, during, or after its "collision/passing through/intersection with" Toril, you would be in Realmspace (in probably very dangerous "weather" of bursts of spontaneous, uncontrolled lightning, vortices of destructive winds, wild magic, and other hairy, ferocious and everchanging side-effects of the two worlds "passing through" each other).
If it was long before or well after that time (more than a perhaps six months or so, either way), you'd find yourself lost in the phlogiston...somewhere. (I.e. up to your DM what the nearest crystal spheres would be.) Or in another dimension altogether (again, according to your DM's desires).

Wow, thanks for sharing this. This kind of info always makes me like the 4e Realmslore more.
Storyteller Hero Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 01:36:43
quote:

Ah, I found what I thought I'd read, and it was us fans going back and forth about the nature of Abeir and Toril and the crystal sphere. It also contained something from Ed that he'd posted somewhere else.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17534

What Ed had said was interesting, as it almost indicates that Abeir's sky connects to the phlogiston without necessarily having a crystal sphere around it.

If it helps, here's Ed Greenwood's answer regarding Abeir and spelljamming that he gave over on Matt's Loremaster website:

Ed Greenwood
November 22, 2009
If you spelljammed up off Abeir, where you found yourself would depend on WHEN you left the surface of Abeir.
If it was immediately before, during, or after its "collision/passing through/intersection with" Toril, you would be in Realmspace (in probably very dangerous "weather" of bursts of spontaneous, uncontrolled lightning, vortices of destructive winds, wild magic, and other hairy, ferocious and everchanging side-effects of the two worlds "passing through" each other).
If it was long before or well after that time (more than a perhaps six months or so, either way), you'd find yourself lost in the phlogiston...somewhere. (I.e. up to your DM what the nearest crystal spheres would be.) Or in another dimension altogether (again, according to your DM's desires).

Thanks!

I've been mulling over whether or not to include a chapter or section for Abeir. This gives me some solid ground to launch from.

sleyvas Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 01:03:00
Ah, I found what I thought I'd read, and it was us fans going back and forth about the nature of Abeir and Toril and the crystal sphere. It also contained something from Ed that he'd posted somewhere else.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17534

Ed Greenwood
November 22, 2009
Storyteller Hero Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 00:57:52
I'm trying to make sure that the state of spell jamming during the Spellplague Era that I describe in a Realmspace book (for DMsGuild) doesn't deviate irreconcilably from established canon.

I found out about a mention of spell jamming in Corsair (which I'm going to be reading soon), and IF it's too different from what I'm writing, I am going to be making changes to fit with the lore established by the novel's author.

If spelljamming is active during the 4e era, then it means that I have to make a big change to how I'm presenting it in the 5e era, because of how different Realmspace is if jamming travel is rendered impossible for a hundred years versus a hundred years of relatively uninterrupted jamming travel.

Zeromaru X Posted - 13 Sep 2018 : 17:31:58
Are you searching for specific mentions in 4e Realmslore? I'll check, but I don't recall anything.

In 4e core there are a few, obscure ones.

quote:

I don't know how canon it was, but I remember statements that the realmspace crystal sphere became closed.

I don't remember any of this, and since I have a lot of knowledge in 4e, I guess this was something fanmade.
Lord Karsus Posted - 13 Sep 2018 : 03:28:50
-Mentions of Spelljammer directly pretty much stopped in 3e, and I'd imagine they'd be even more obscure in 4e, given the lack of sources as compared to previous editions and yet another editorial direction.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Sep 2018 : 23:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

As far as I know there was never ANY canon source about anything in the crystal sphere. Perhaps someone mentioned something in Dragon Mag.

Actually, it may have been even less... maybe in something like an ask ed entry or even other scribes/WotC employess saying it on some web location saying it and it sticking in my head
The Masked Mage Posted - 12 Sep 2018 : 21:13:42
As far as I know there was never ANY canon source about anything in the crystal sphere. Perhaps someone mentioned something in Dragon Mag.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Sep 2018 : 20:37:53
quote:

I don't know how canon it was, but I remember statements that the realmspace crystal sphere became closed.

I can't say I recall that, though I'm far from conversant in post-Spellplague lore. I've read most of the source material, but a lot of it was underwhelming and did not stick with me.
Harvest Posted - 12 Sep 2018 : 18:51:42
Or maybe everyone just forgot it was there! ...I'll see myself out.
sleyvas Posted - 12 Sep 2018 : 12:38:42

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000