Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What does a shrine to Auril look like?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mastermustard Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 07:23:39
I'm making plans for a new house, and I wanted to finish my basement into a shrine for one of the Faerunian deities. I picked Auril at random, but I'm having trouble finding the specifics for what a shrine for her would look like.

The basement will be 20'x40' and finished in stone, with a rambling stone staircase leading to it. Additionally, I may hide the entrance to the basement with a mechanism in the wainscoting.

Suggestions are welcome.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Misereor Posted - 23 Jul 2018 : 13:31:17
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

I'm making plans for a new house, and I wanted to finish my basement into a shrine for one of the Faerunian deities. I picked Auril at random, but I'm having trouble finding the specifics for what a shrine for her would look like.

The basement will be 20'x40' and finished in stone, with a rambling stone staircase leading to it. Additionally, I may hide the entrance to the basement with a mechanism in the wainscoting.

Suggestions are welcome.

First of all, get Craft: Ice Sculpting as a skill for your character.

For a small shrine, I would recommend casting Control Temperature ahead of rites. Some blue drapes, a few buckets of water to turn into sheets of ice or frost, and some strategically placed lights (magical or otherwise) to interact with for visual effect. Acts of worship would probably involve draining something of heat, whether mundane flaming coals, magical items, or full blown Sapient sacrifice.

For a full temple I would add some Permanency spells, and go all in on visual effects and ice sculptures. Frost themed defenses would also be a must. Cold Wards, various Undead frozen in ice pillars/walls/floors, slippery surfaces that the defenders are immune to but clueless adventurers aren't. To avoid predictability, not all defenses should be cold-based, but keep in mind that Auril likely isn't the kind of Goddess who would take kindly to worshippers defending her temple with Flame Strikes or Heat Metal spells.

Thraskir Skimper Posted - 21 Jul 2018 : 02:17:51
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

Suggestions are welcome.

https://24spaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Secret-Stair-Storage.jpg

This is one of the best way to hide a basement.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 21 Jul 2018 : 02:16:49
A real house? Add a freezer unit and keep it cool. Game house you need it to be cold. Gateway to the elemental subplane of Ice would come in handy. Or a Frostbrand Sword in a rack behind the Ice bar.
The Masked Mage Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 04:10:03
I think most would be outdoors in a very cold place. Possibly monolithic stones, or even icy replacements. I would make her temple in the ice caves of a glacier - that would be beautiful. Look here for examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+caves&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRgYWYiZbcAhVD4YMKHSwiBWkQ_AUICygC
Starshade Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 23:10:59
From googling, it seems Icewind Dale 2, the game, got a temple of Auril in it. The pictures shows a PC game dungeon which is blue.
Storyteller Hero Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 16:13:19
Lots and lots of ice sculptures. There may be ice golems hidden among them...

moonbeast Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 11:17:37
A giant popsicle!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 10:20:45
Just print out her holy symbol and stick it in the freezer, and your shrine is done.

On a more serious note, I'd say a shrine would include her holy symbol and various things representing her portfolios.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000