Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 AD&D Core Rules v2.00 CD and Windows 10

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 08 Jul 2018 : 18:20:44
hi!!! I can not install the AD&D core rules 2.00 in my windows 10 pc?? Why is this happening??Can anyone help me??
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
enchantedworld Posted - 12 Oct 2023 : 13:10:49
If all else fails, you could try downloading the installer again from a trusted source, just to make sure you have a clean copy. Sometimes, a corrupted installer can cause installation problems. I hope this helps you get AD&D up and running on your Windows 10 PC!
Gelcur Posted - 08 Aug 2018 : 05:06:32
If you have an abundance of old software I would suggest running a virtual machine with something like Windows XP. Make sure to disable its access to the internet for security reasons. This way you know your software will always run as intended going forwards. That is how I actually run the interactive atlas since I bailed one windows long ago.
The Masked Mage Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 06:29:01
http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 04:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Yeah, was talking for his windows 10 machine. He'd also need the compatibility pack if memory serves, but that should bypass all his problems.

I've found that even those programs that are backward compatible with Win 8 and 10 still sometimes have issues, so this is my go to solution. I have a WinXP virtual box premade for any time I want to do it. Also a dosBox for even older things (can't break myself of my Zork and Oregon Trail fixations :) )

I don't know if they're still out there, but I know that several years ago, I found standalone executable versions of the Zork games, freely downloadable from the original company. Those should still be parked on my NAS somewhere, but I'm not sure where -- I'm something of a digital packrat.

Edit: Okay, my bad, not standalone executables, but still, simple downloads from Infocom. It doesn't seem to want to run on 64 bit Windows, though... Have to fiddle with that in my not-so-copious spare time.
The Masked Mage Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 04:30:15
Yeah, was talking for his windows 10 machine. He'd also need the compatibility pack if memory serves, but that should bypass all his problems.

I've found that even those programs that are backward compatible with Win 8 and 10 still sometimes have issues, so this is my go to solution. I have a WinXP virtual box premade for any time I want to do it. Also a dosBox for even older things (can't break myself of my Zork and Oregon Trail fixations :) )

I've tried to do the same with a Hackintosh but have failed. Beyond my abilities I'm afraid.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 04:15:24
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

The simplest solution is to build a virtual XP Machine for stuff like that. I recommend virtual box. Its free and easy to do. You can download XP virtual disks for that from many places online for free as well.

Simplest compared to installed wine in Linux?

Considering that not everyone knows Linux and its many distros, and that we're talking about installing a program intended for Windows-based computers on an existing Windows computer, then yes, it would be easier than installing wine on the Linux box he likely does not have.
TBeholder Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 03:28:44
quote:

The simplest solution is to build a virtual XP Machine for stuff like that. I recommend virtual box. Its free and easy to do. You can download XP virtual disks for that from many places online for free as well.

Simplest compared to installed wine in Linux?
Ayrik Posted - 11 Jul 2018 : 01:04:22
Try creating a launch shortcut for the old game, right-click on it and enable Compatibility Mode (for Win9x, WinXP, VGA 640x480, whatever works). Win7/8/10 all contain an embedded WinXP VM which is supposed to automatically kick in (with minimal user configuration) whenever needed.

If the game uses a 3D engine then you might need to install the DirectX 9.0c runtime (because DX10 onwards have replaced some important old components with new ways of doing things, but Microsoft helpfully caused no issues with installing DX9.0c on a DX12/Win10 machine). Or you can try DxWnd (which is far more powerful and versatile in getting old games to run on new systems, but it can also be far more complicated).

If the game is native to MS-DOS or Win95 and is limited to x86 (16-/32-bit etc), then DOSBox can always get it running, though some tinkering can be required for best emulation.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 22:27:04
You can search for it under Settings, or go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Look in Application, under the Windows Logs. There's going to be a metric buttload of stuff in there, so you may want to try the install, then immediately go into the Viewer to see if it gives more info about the failure.

Also, try my other suggestion of copying everything from the CD to a local folder on the computer and running it from there. Worst case scenario, you get the same error and have to delete the folder.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 17:52:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Version 1803, OS Build 17134.112.

Anything being logged in the Event Viewer for why it's stopping?

And something else to try: I've seen times that software just would not install from a CD, but worked perfectly well if copied to the hard drive and then installed. Just make a folder, copy everything from the CD to that folder, and then try the setup files.

the same version i use also....

from where i see the the Event Viewer???
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 10:18:15
Version 1803, OS Build 17134.112.

Anything being logged in the Event Viewer for why it's stopping?

And something else to try: I've seen times that software just would not install from a CD, but worked perfectly well if copied to the hard drive and then installed. Just make a folder, copy everything from the CD to that folder, and then try the setup files.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 10 Jul 2018 : 08:23:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've had all the old software working on Windows 7. Haven't tried on my Win10 box -- there hasn't been a need. Heck, I barely used that software on the XP machines I installed it on.

Perhaps you could offer a description of what is happening, beyond "Why is this happening??" Without knowing what "this" is, it's hard to offer any help.

Without any information at all, I'd say to go into the Program Files and locate the executable for the program, right-click on it and go to Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and pick something from the dropdown. Hit OK and then try again. You may have to try a couple of different earlier OS's to get it.

Keep in mind that Windows has changed a hell of a lot since that software was written. You're trying to watch VHS in an age of Blu-Ray and streaming, there.

I tried many times to execute the autorun and setup files..in all different choices of compatibility. it asks if i want to let this app from an unknown publisher to make changes on this device, I press the yes button and then seems to start running thed programme and stops without doing anything.. which vesrion of windows 10 has your pc(youcan see it on systeom option in the control panel)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Jul 2018 : 03:20:34
The Core Rules 2.0 will install and work on Windows 10. I just installed the program from the CD (as soon as I dug it out!), and once I was thru the tutorial, went partway thru character creation.

And I didn't have to do anything in particular to get it to run, either. It did throw an error at the end of the installation, about installation languages, but I figured that was safe to ignore.

For an encore, I installed the Interactive Atlas from CD, as well. It also runs on Windows 10.
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Jul 2018 : 02:14:35
Unless I'm mistaken, it will not work on the platform. Win 10 ended a lot of the backwards compatibility they were hanging onto. Damn kids and the new-fangled machines. :)

TBeholder Posted - 09 Jul 2018 : 02:04:44
Try to install it in wine.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Jul 2018 : 02:02:41
I've had all the old software working on Windows 7. Haven't tried on my Win10 box -- there hasn't been a need. Heck, I barely used that software on the XP machines I installed it on.

Perhaps you could offer a description of what is happening, beyond "Why is this happening??" Without knowing what "this" is, it's hard to offer any help.

Without any information at all, I'd say to go into the Program Files and locate the executable for the program, right-click on it and go to Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and pick something from the dropdown. Hit OK and then try again. You may have to try a couple of different earlier OS's to get it.

Keep in mind that Windows has changed a hell of a lot since that software was written. You're trying to watch VHS in an age of Blu-Ray and streaming, there.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 08 Jul 2018 : 18:33:38
yes 20!!! but until windows 8 was working fine..Now what is happened i do not know!!!
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jul 2018 : 18:31:55
Lol, how many years old is that CD? 20?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000