Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map of the North

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KanzenAU Posted - 12 Dec 2016 : 17:15:50
Edit 3: Now available on DM's Guild!
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/201383/The-North-Campaign-Map

I've recently completed the hand-drawn phase of my most ambitious map to date - an A2 sized map of the North. I am making this for my own players, but I also plan to upload this to the DM's Guild (Pay As You Want) and get it out there to the wider community, but before I do I want it to be the most true to canon it can be. So I need some basic proofing from the loremasters!

I'm quite proud of this, I think it's by far my best work so far.
http://fav.me/dari4yc
Edit: You'll have to download the map from DeviantArt I imagine, as it's too high a resolution to display the details properly on the site. The map is quite large, and I've found viewing it at about 33% zoom gives you the best feel for how it prints out at A2, and how it actually looks in real life (zoomed in further the ink begins to look more sloppy).

Edit 2: DM version now up!
http://fav.me/darkyxp

This version of the map is designed for players, and just has townships etc indicated on it. There will also be a DM version before too long, with all locations on it.

This map is designed for use in the current era Forgotten Realms (circa 1490s), but subject to interest it wouldn't be extremely hard for me to make a 1300s copy for those interested. I imagine it would mainly involve fixing the Glimmerwood.

As far as which sources I'm prioritising (because the 3e/4e map shrinkage hurts canon), I'm shooting for finding a middle ground between the 1e/2e maps and the 5e maps. When these conflict, I usually go with the 1e/2e source, unless there's a documented canon story reason for the change (such as Turlang's expansion of the High Forest).
The 5e map is almost exactly the same as the original maps, with the following changes:

1. In the Storm King's Thunder and SCAG maps, the eastern Rauvin Mountain range connects with the southeastern Nether range. I've fixed this to fit more closely with Ed's maps, as I believe that this is an error in their maps rather than a change in canon.

2. Mornbryn's Shield is located halfway to Nesme in the current STK map. Although this site has been confirmed as canon by the current team, I've kept it true to its location in the Volo's Guide.

I should note that I also plan to release a version that does not contain these fixes, so that people that want to work with the new map, and explain it away with the Sundering or the passed century, can still use it.

The Silver Marches were the most complex to organize, because they were well detailed in the 3e sourcebook with a map, but that map was squidged with all of 3e. I like to think I've found a good middle ground here though.

Maps used as source material:
OGB, Waterdeep & the North, Savage Frontier, the North - Guide to the Savage Frontier, Volo's Guide to the North, FR Atlas, FR Interactive Atlas, 3e Campaign Setting, Silver Marches, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Storm King's Thunder, and the maps of Markustay.
I'd also like to give a shout out to Markustay for his amazing maps which I continue to use and be inspired by, and for helping me out with a couple of locations already.

Anyway, long story short I'm looking for feedback! I want to get this out there and get everyone using it, especially as Storm King's Thunder is set in this exact area, and I feel that this is an opportunity to get more people interested in the geography and locations of the Realms!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KanzenAU Posted - 18 Jan 2021 : 21:25:26
Maybe from the “War of Everlasting Darkness” 4e D&D Encounters adventure?
KanzenAU Posted - 18 Jan 2021 : 19:52:05
Hi, I’ve fallen away from D&D/FR due to work, but I can see Hopefast on a Mike Schley 4e map of the Silver Marches. Can’t remember what resource it was from. From that quote guessing it arose in the 4e era, maybe it came out of a Drizzt book or something?
ericlboyd Posted - 18 Jan 2021 : 18:27:29
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

I am finishing up the map now, with any luck I will hopefully release it today or tomorrow.

I've just removed Hopefast, the town of Phandalin (but not the ruin), Gauntlgrym (but not the ruin), Carnath Roadhouse, and Jortay's Folly from the 1375 version, as I don't believe any of these would have been built yet. I'll also make an icon for Dark Arrow Keep, as that would still be standing at this time.

Getting there...

Where is the reference to Hopefast from?

Thanks,

--Eric
tehguitarist Posted - 15 Jun 2018 : 06:34:29
Seconded :)
Matrix Sorcica Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 20:48:29
Any news?
KanzenAU Posted - 15 Aug 2017 : 09:57:12
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Work on Terrlen's Cyclopaedia continues, albeit slowly - real life work and other projects have seen it put on the backburner. It is still something I hope to complete by the end of the year, but no promises I'm afraid!
Androminous Posted - 12 Aug 2017 : 12:14:12
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

I will likely include newly discovered information about A and B as it comes up, but this is a truly massive undertaking that will be many many months in the process! It's a very long way off being finished at this point.

Thanks for sharing the work so far. I'm so looking forward to the complete Cyclopaedia. Do you have any estimate for when can we expect to find it on DMsGuild?

Keep up the good work!
KanzenAU Posted - 28 Feb 2017 : 05:14:20
I will likely include newly discovered information about A and B as it comes up, but this is a truly massive undertaking that will be many many months in the process! It's a very long way off being finished at this point.
tehguitarist Posted - 28 Feb 2017 : 05:03:24
Looking forward to the finished product!! Are you at all likely to go and revisit any of the A and B given that C is looking to be a little longer?
KanzenAU Posted - 02 Jan 2017 : 12:07:12
For those interested, the "Cyclopaedia of the North" is proving to be a huge product and is a long way off. I've written 10 and a half pages in size 10 font so far, with many hours of research going into the entries, and so even with that I'm only about a third through "C". Hopefully it will be done SOMETIME in 2017 though...

Just for fun, here's another excerpt: Castle Naerytar.
Castle Naerytar
This stone castle was built on exposed bedrock in the monster-infested swamp known as the Mere of Dead Men, though over time it has become surrounded by swampland, some of which seeps into its lower floor[46].

It is said to have been built by a half-elven wizard long ago, who later abandoned it due to the growing encroachment of the swamp[46]. The wizard left behind magical defenses that cause spells to act differently here[48], but in recent times these defenses have been absent[46] – they either no longer function or have been disabled, but the most likely explanation for their current absence is the occurrence of the Spellplague.

A few years later, in the 1360s DR, it was cleared and taken over by the all-female Academy of Stargazers, who had relocated there from Waterdeep[48]. They cleared the place of bullywugs and installed a large, complex telescope, an artifact known as the Farseer of Illusk[48]. The head starmistress of the Academy taught her pupils astronomy, astrology, and magic here, but in truth was a penanggalan who built the Academy as a front for her activities[48]. After some time, possibly after being provoked by adventurers, the penanggalan slew many of the Academy members, and they remain as spectres haunting one of the towers[46]. The penanggalan eventually disappeared, though it is possible it was slain by adventurers[48]. In the time of the Academy, an attempt was made to link the Castle with the High Road to the east, but that effort has long since been swallowed by the swamp[48].

The castle went unused for some time until it was discovered by Rezmir, a half-black dragon Wyrmspeaker of the Cult of the Dragon*[46]. Rezmir found a teleportation circle connected to a hunting lodge in the Graypeak mountains near Parnast that was used by the original half-elf builder of the castle, and used it to ferry wealth stolen by the Cult of the Dragon to other locales[46]. It is unclear if these circles predated the half-elven wizard, but at Rezmir’s time they were operated using command words in Loross, the tongue of Netheril[46]. The circles may have been built in the time of Netheril; the half-elven wizard may have used the Loross tongue; or it is possible the command words were translations made by Rezmir to better understand them, who understood Loross herself as a member of House Orogoth[49].

The castle is also likely to be considered part of the domain of the twin black dragons Voaraghamanthar and Waervaerendor[46]. The dragons do not maintain much of an interest in the castle, but their presence affects any who live near them[46].
* It is likely that during the events of the adventure Hoard of the Dragon Queen that the Cult of the Dragon is driven out of the Castle.

Primary Source: Dungeon Magazine #072 - Mistress on the Mere, 1999[48]
Latest Source: Hoard of the Dragon Queen, 2014[46]
George Krashos Posted - 27 Dec 2016 : 01:57:30
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Looks wonderful. A labour of love to be sure, so more power to you. I've been playing with my North Timeline in the last week or so, building and amending some new ruling dynasties to fill in gaps. Have a week off after Xmas so hope to tackle Illusk, Gharraghaur, Ironstar and Haughdannar.

-- George Krashos

Ooo, I'm really interested in what you come up with for the Ironstars; I'm playing in that area right now. Any hints?

I flip-flopped around a bit and ended up doing Chessagol/Tsurlagol, then tidied up Calandor/Daggerford, Citadel Felbarr and made some cosmetic changes to Besilmer/Ammarindar and Delzoun/Citadel Adbar. Then I got side-tracked and re-jigged one of my earlier pieces for a DMs Guild article and now am writing a follow-up to my DMs Guild poisons article. So no Ironstars unfortunately but I might get round to it early in the New Year.

-- George Krashos
Arivia Posted - 26 Dec 2016 : 20:39:30
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Looks wonderful. A labour of love to be sure, so more power to you. I've been playing with my North Timeline in the last week or so, building and amending some new ruling dynasties to fill in gaps. Have a week off after Xmas so hope to tackle Illusk, Gharraghaur, Ironstar and Haughdannar.

-- George Krashos

Ooo, I'm really interested in what you come up with for the Ironstars; I'm playing in that area right now. Any hints?
KanzenAU Posted - 26 Dec 2016 : 15:33:07
Map has been released on DM's Guild! I've created a thread in the appropriate section of the forum. I'll continue to ask about locations and such here, but please direct product comments to that board.

I hope people get some joy and use out of this. Many days have gone into it, and I'm quite proud of the finished product, so check it out!
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/201383/The-North-Campaign-Map
KanzenAU Posted - 23 Dec 2016 : 06:44:43
Putting on the final touches. Changed Zymorven Hall to High Hold for the 1374 version, fixed a couple more things.
The map will be released in a 1491 version, a 1372 version, and a 1491 alternative version with only SKT locations.

Last chance for people to add feedback or request changes before the final release!
KanzenAU Posted - 23 Dec 2016 : 02:12:13
I am finishing up the map now, with any luck I will hopefully release it today or tomorrow.

I've just removed Hopefast, the town of Phandalin (but not the ruin), Gauntlgrym (but not the ruin), Carnath Roadhouse, and Jortay's Folly from the 1375 version, as I don't believe any of these would have been built yet. I'll also make an icon for Dark Arrow Keep, as that would still be standing at this time.

Getting there...
Cards77 Posted - 23 Dec 2016 : 01:56:03
This is awesome. I would love to use it in my game in the 3E Silver Marches (1372ish).
KanzenAU Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 23:13:06
Yup, hexed and unhexed versions of both player and DM maps will be released with every version of the map, in both black & white and canvas texture versions.

The map and cyclopaedia will be separate products now though, the cyclopaedia is too far off completion. Both still planned as Pay What You Want.
farinal Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 19:45:10
Looks awesome! Will you do a hexed/unhexed and player/DM versions of the 1370s map?

The map with the encylopedia is an INSTANT buy for me! very well done
KanzenAU Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 15:11:12
Also, I have an sample of the (soon available in final form) 1374 version up on Deviant Art:
http://fav.me/daskw4j

The main change is the retro-ed Glimmerwood. I have made it resemble the 1e/2e sources rather than the 3e source, where everything was smudged together - but I've taken a couple of elements from 3e (such as the Redrun running from the Druarwood). I've also moved Olostin's Hold to the south side of the road for this version.

This version also has Underdark locations on there.

Still looking for feedback, requests and criticisms. Sundabar, for instance... to the west of the Rauvin in most early maps, to the east on some later ones...
If I don't hear much, I expect I may upload the maps to DM's Guild quite shortly in a version similar to this one.
KanzenAU Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 09:39:13
"B" is done! Posting this letter for feedback mainly on "Blackford". The term only appears loosely around the area of the River Mirar on the map in the Savage Frontier, and doesn't appear elsewhere (as far as I'm aware). I thought it referred to a ford over the Black Raven River. However, the SCAG has a "Blackford Crossing" 30 miles from Luskan over the Mirar. These may be two separate sites, or the original "Blackford" may have just been supposed to refer to the road - though looking at the map, I don't think so. So, I've left them as different sites.

Opinions, as always, are looked for.

This may be the last full "letter" I post before I keep them all for the final upload. This is taking a really long time however, and I'm now considering making the map and the Cyclopaedia separate uploads, as this probably won't be done for weeks. On the other side of that, I keep making small fixes for the map, such as the addition of the mountain Dhaemang's Head, which I hadn't heard of.

Anyway, here's "B". Thoughts plz.

B
Baraskur
This mountain cave-complex doubles as a stronghold for the Ripped Gut orc tribe, and takes its name from one of their great heroes. The entry sits on the south side of Orcsblood Peak, and the orcs within are known to raid Turnstone Pass, the Fork Road, and even as far as Moon Pass. Baraskur is said to be watched over by the ghost of a powerful human sorcerer, whom the orcs placate somehow in return[2].

Primary Source: Silver Marches, 2002[2]
Latest Source: War of Everlasting Darkness (map only), 2012[4]

Bard Keep
These ruins were once a library and temple devoted to Oghma, god of knowledge, and one of the “three pillars of learning” in the area, which also included the Herald’s Holdfast and the Vault of Sages in Silverymoon. However, it was destroyed when a corrupt cleric tried to take control of the site. The survivors fled to found the Halls of Inspiration in Silverymoon, while the corrupt cleric and his followers are said to be cursed by Oghma to haunt the site forever more. The Halls of Inspiration discourage visiting the site, though it is possible valuable books and scrolls remain somewhere in the ruins[26].

Primary & Latest Source: Dungeon Magazine #029, 1991

Bargewright Inn
Located on Jundar’s Hill, a hillock overlooking Ironford[18], this small walled community centers around the Old Bargewright Inn, which has recently been rebuilt to have strong stone walls. Contacts of the Black Network can be found there[3]. The community’s size changes drastically with the trade season, rising to host hundreds in the peak. It was founded by Feston Bargewright, from whom the town takes its name, well over a century ago[6], though these days the town is run by more of a plutocracy of business owners – many of which are under the influence of the Zhentarim. The Black Network also have an unexpected ally here in the form of the vampire Stillmarsh, who has agreed to only feed on the Zhentarim’s unwanted guests.[3].

Primary Source: Volo’s Guide to the North, 1993[6]
Latest Source: Storm King's Thunder, 2016[3]

Beliard
This small village, filled with trees which keep much of it in shadow, stands not far from the Stone Bridge[6] and serves as a market-moot for local cattle drovers. The town’s inn, the Watchful Knight, was named for an animated suit of armour that defended the place – until the armour disappeared, and the owner of the inn soon after.[3] The armour itself is rumoured to be wandering the Dessarin Valley, attacking those it comes across[27]. A few bodyguards and mercenaries active in the Waterdeep and the Heartlands recently retired here, a fact which discourages bandits targeting the small town[27].

Primary Source: Volo’s Guide to the North, 1993[6]
Latest Source: Storm King’s Thunder, 2016[3]

Beorunna’s Well
Beorunna was a hero of the pre-Uthgardt people in the North, and some legends link him to being a father or ancestor of Uthgar himself[23]. The site of Beorunna’s Well is an ice-cold cavern that has sunk directly into the ground, deep in the Glimmerwood. Uthgardt legend holds that Beorunna himself died here fighting a demon. The cavern holds a heated pool with a steady geyser, hence the name[3]. The site is sacred to both the Black Lion and Red Tiger Uthgardt clans, who consider it their ancestor mound. In the past, the Black Lions had abandoned their traditions for a time and set up a settlement here that traded with outsiders[18], but in more recent times they have returned to their tradition of raiding[3], and it is presumed that no village remains here, as the tribe now has no tolerance for the trappings of civilization[3].

Primary Source: The Savage Frontier, 1988[23]

Berlingford
This small town in the Glimmerwood has a predominantly human population. The Boar’s Head Inn is a popular, friendly meeting place. It has traditionally been watched over by a circle of druids known as the Council of Pines, but this group was greatly diminished in an attack by servants of Malar many winters ago[28].

Primary & Latest Source: Dungeon #103, 2003[28]

Berun’s Hill
This hill, bare-topped and conical, commands a peerless view of the region, and has been used in the past to keep watch for descending orc hordes. It is said that the famous ranger Berun slew three hundred orcs here before he was overwhelmed by them[1]. “Berun” may be an Illuskan corruption of Beorunna, a hero of the barbaric pre-Uthgar people[23]. The hill itself sits in the southeastern section of the Starmetal Hills. Legend speaks of an ancient dwarven tomb under the hill filled with wealth, but this has since been repurposed by dwarven priests as the Vault of the Lost Wayfarer, who found the gold stolen away long ago by duergar[29].

Latest Source: The North – Guide to the Savage Frontier, 1996[18]

Berun’s River
This river, running between the Starmetal Hills and the Neverwinter Wood, is a tributary of the Neverwinter River[30]. The water likely runs from the peaks in the hills down to Lake Glorfindar at the base of Twilight Tor, one of the largest peaks in the Starmetal Hills[31]. The lake then drains west towards the Neverwinter River, becoming a tributary of that before emptying into the Sea of Swords.

Primary Source: The North – Guide to the Savage Frontier, 1996 (map only)[18]
Latest Source: Neverwinter Campaign Setting, 2011[30]

Blackford
Spanning the Black Raven River on the Blackford Road is a stone bridge, with broken statues of rearing horses at each end[3]. It first appears on one of the earliest maps of the North[23]. It is not to be confused with Blackford Crossing, a little-used ford across the River Mirar to the west[16].

Primary Source: The Savage Frontier, 1988 (map only)[23]

Blackford Crossing
Luskan, thirty miles to the west, controls this ford crossing the River Mirar, and charges large tolls. This encourages most travelers to travel through Luskan by preference, but those wishing to avoid the city may do so, at a cost[16]. It is said that it is from this ford that Blackford Road gets its name[3], but this may be confused with the Blackford over the Black Raven River further up the road. The truth may be lost to time.

Primary Source: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, 2015[16]

Blackford Road
This trade road running between Mirabar and Luskan, and dates back to the dwarven realm of Gharraghaur, thousands of years ago[16]. Gharraghaur never existed at the same time as Luskan[32], and it is possible that the road once connected with the coastal dwarven realm of Haunghdannar, in the time before the two realms fell. Other names for the road include Auril’s Road and the Stygian Road[3], presumably because it is in a very cold part of the North.

Primary Source: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, 2015[16]

Black Helm Tower
This fortified compound northeast of Daggerford is home to the holder of the role of Black Vizor in the High Heralds. The role requires much travelling, as the Black Vizor is deeply involved in the politics of Western Faerûn, and thus the Herald is said to rarely be at home[10]. The name of “Black Helm Tower” comes from the fact that Black Helm was the previous title of the High Herald before Black Vizor[33].

Primary & Latest Source: Environs of Waterdeep, 2006[10]

Black Maw Bog
This bog, sitting between Triboar and Westbridge on the Long Road, gets its name from swallowing travellers who are never seen again. The bog gets to thirty feet deep in its deepest areas, and is known for swallowing reckless or ignorant travelers that neglect Ilikur’s bridge over it. Those that venture too deep into the bog find themselves slowly sucked in, unable to move, until eventually they become totally immersed and run out of breath. The Huntinghorn stream (too small outside the bog to appear on most maps) passes over the bog, making it difficult to see in places, and thus more inviting to travelers wishing to pass over it. The bog is slowly expanding to the east, and sits in an area often threatened by bugbears[34].

Primary Source: Dragon Magazine #307, 2003[34]
Latest Source: Princes of the Apocalypse, 2015 (map only)[27]

Black Raven Camp
On the summit of Dhaemang’s Head, the southernmost peak of the Frost Hills, sits a camp of the Black Raven Uthgardt. From here they plan their raids, which they perform on the backs of giant ravens[2]. They are known for raiding caravans going to and from Mithral Hall[16], and this site offers an excellent view of such activity[2].

Primary and Latest Source: Silver Marches, 2002[2]

Black Raven River
This river has its source in the foothills of the Spine of the World, from where it runs down past the canyon holding Raven Rock to become a tributary of the River Mirar[23]. As Raven Rock is an ancestor mound shared by the Black Raven and Grey Wolf tribes, the area around the river is perilous and prone to attack from these groups[6].

Black Road
This road, the only one of its kind to cross the Anauroch desert, was founded by the Zhentarim over a century ago. It was lost for much of that time when the Shadovar of Thultanthar took control of the region, but with the passing of that realm a few years ago the Zhentarim have reclaimed the route[3]. It runs between Llorkh in the west (past Parnast) to Teshendale in the east, on the other side of the desert[9]. The exclusive Zhentarim route cuts weeks of travel time between their strongholds in the east and the cities of the Sword Coast, though the route remains dangerous[35]. It cuts through the southern third of the desert known as the Sword[36], and the primary problem there remains (and to some extent, has always been) other humans[3], such as the Bedine[36].

Primary Source: Anauroch, 1991[36]

Bleached Bones Pass
Few use this pass that once connected the human realm of Netheril at Dekanter in the east with Illefarn in the west. Piles of sun-whitened bones line the trail, and the pass takes its name from this oddity. Many small orc strongholds line the pass, and they are constantly at war with each other[23]. The ruined dwarfhold of Citadel Yaunoroth overlooks the path, abandoned since the fall of the dwarven realm of Ammarindar centuries ago[5].

Latest Source: Lost Empires of Faerûn, 2005[5]

Blightwood
This small wood north of Daggerford appears on recent maps of the Delimbiyr Vale[3]. Its history is unknown, and it is only named in an unpublished section of a map of the Daggerford region that appears in the 5th edition Dungeon Master’s Guide, which is available on the artist Mike Schley’s website[37]. It is likely to be a remnant of the much greater forest that once covered this region[5].

Primary Source: Daggerford Region Map, 2014 (map only)[37]
Latest Source: Storm King’s Thunder, 2016 (map only)[3]

Blingdenstone
This svirfneblin city lies in the Upperdark below Firstpeak, also known as Ironstar Mountain. The city was founded over two thousand years ago by deep gnomes fleeing from the phaerimm in the east[38]. After the gnomes helped the dwarves of Mithral Hall against the drow of Menzoberranzan in 1358 DR, the drow retaliated, summoning demons into the city, killing thousands of svirfneblin[9]. Those that survived fled to Silverymoon, where they were taken in with open arms. They have only recently returned in the last decade or so, and it has been a struggle to retake their city from the foul forces within it - though their future shows hope[19].

Primary Source: Drizzt Do’Urden’s Guide to the Underdark, 1999[38]
Latest Source: Out of the Abyss, 2015[19]

Bloodgate Keep
This small fortress was constructed in secret under a decade ago by Thayan Red Wizards, away from prying eyes in the Forlorn HIlls. The keep was built on top atop nascent magical portals leading to elemental nodes – vaults of immense elemental power[12]. The portals were built long ago by Netherese nobles who founded a cult dedicated to the Elemental Princes. When their movement was discovered, they hid the keys to these portals and fled, though they never returned[39]. The Red Wizards found the keys centuries later, and managed to open the portals, hoping to bring through armies from Thay. Although the Thayans managed to use open a portal to Thay at the site, the portal was immediately destroyed by adventurers working with the famed hero Sir Isteval[40]. What became of the Keep afterwards is known to few outside Isteval, but it may have even been destroyed in the backlash from the destroyed portal.

Primary Source: Scourge of the Sword Coast, 2014[12]
Latest Source: Dead in Thay, 2014[40]

Bremen
This small village in Icewind Dale is one of the Ten Towns, and sits on the west bank of Maer Dualdon, where it drains into the Shaengarne river. It can only be accessed from by crossing the Shaengarne either by boat or at a dangerous ford crossing. Seasonal floods affect the area, and the locals take care not to build on the floodplain[41]. Bremen is known for having a higher population of people descending from the Reghed barbarians than most other settlements in Ten Towns. This may be due to members of the Tribe of the Elk helping rebuild the town after it was burned by the forces of Akar Kessell a century ago[23].

In centre of the town are five taverns said to have originally been built by five brothers, and near every night a fight breaks out there. In the Shaengarne not far from town is a small island where a witch is said to live, but in fact the woman has no powers and just wants to be left alone[41].

Primary Source: Legacy of the Crystal Shard, 2013[41]

Bremen’s Run
On the western flank of Kelvin’s Cairn in Icewind Dale the land flattens out to a smooth pathway leading from Ten Towns to the northern tundra. This path is known as Bremen’s Run[42]. Orcs and barbarians occasionally come down this way to raid Ten Towns, as they do through Icewind Pass on the other side of Kelvin’s Cairn[41].

Primary Source: The Forgotten Realms Atlas, 1990[42]
Latest Source: Legacy of the Crystal Shard, 2013[41]

Bryn Shander
The largest of the settlements of Ten-Towns in Icewind Dale, Bryn Shander finds itself the centre of trade in that community, partly because it sits on the main caravan route heading south – the Ten Trail. The walled town sits atop a hill where it has a commanding view of the surrounding tundra[3]. It is the youngest of the Ten Towns, and only one building stands more than one story tall, belonging to the town’s Speaker[41]. An impressive stone edifice built by the dwarves of Kelvin’s Cairn stands on the main route into the town’s centre – the House of the Triad, a temple devoted to Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater[41].

Primary & Latest Source: Storm King’s Thunder, 2016[3]

Buiyrandyn
This was once a tiny drow settlement, home to drow that spurned the worship of Lolth. It’s most famous resident was Qilue Veladorn, the most mysterious of the Seven Sisters. It was destroyed centuries ago by illithids, and now the site is home to a small clan of hook horrors[38].

Primary & Latest Source: Drizzt Do’Urden’s Guide to the Underdark, 1999[38]

References
1. Ed Greenwood, Waterdeep and the North. 1987.
2. Ed Greenwood, Jason Carl, Silver Marches. 2002.
3. Chris Perkins, et al., Storm King's Thunder. 2016.
4. Mike Schley, War of Everlasting Darkness Map. 2012.
5. Richard Baker, Ed Bonny, Travis Stout, Lost Empires of Faerûn. 2005.
6. Ed Greenwood, Volo's Guide to the North. 1993.
7. Richard Baker, Chris Perkins, Lost Mine of Phandelver. 2014.
8. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #240 - The Thief Dragon. 1997.
9. Ed Greenwood, et al., Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. 2001.
10. Eric L. Boyd, Environs of Waterdeep - A City of Splendors Forgotten Realms Web Enhancement. 2006.
11. Paul F. Culotta, Dungeon Magazine #026 - The Inheritance. 1990.
12. Tito Leati, Matt Sernett, Chris Sims, Scourge of the Sword Coast. 2014.
13. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #128 - Welcome to Waterdeep. 1987.
14. Ed Greenwood, Forgotten Realms Campaign Set. 1987.
15. Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. 2008.
16. Steve Kenson, et al., Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. 2015.
17. Greg A. Vaughan, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K Reynolds, Anauroch - The Empire of Shade. 2007.
18. Ed Greenwood, et al., The North - Guide to the Savage Frontier. 1996.
19. Steve Kenson, et al., Out of the Abyss. 2015.
20. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #270 - The Ardeep. 2000.
21. Markustay, Private Message. 2016, Candlekeep Website: forum.candlekeep.com.
22. Steven E. Schend, Hellgate Keep. 1998.
23. Paul Jaquays, The Savage Frontier. 1988.
24. Phillip Athans, Reader's Guide to the Legend of Drizzt. 2008.
25. Ed Greenwood, et al., Murder in Baldur's Gate. 2013.
26. Randy Maxwell, Dungeon #029 - Ex Libris. 1991.
27. Richard Baker, et al., Princes of the Apocalypse. 2015.
28. Wil Upchurch, Dungeon Magazine #103 - Forest of Blood. 2003.
29. Eric L. Boyd, Demihuman Deities. 1998.
30. Matt Sernett, Ari Marmell, Erik Scott de Bie, Neverwinter Campaign Setting. 2011.
31. Neverwinter Wiki. Lore: Seasonal Events. 2013; Available from: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Lore:Seasonal_Events.
32. Brian R. James, et al., The Grand History of the Realms. 2007.
33. Ed Greenwood, Code of the Harpers. 1993.
34. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #307 - The Haunted Bridge. 2003.
35. Jason Carl, Sean K Reynolds, Lords of Darkness. 2001.
36. Ed Greenwood, Anauroch. 1991.
37. Mike Schley. Daggerford Region Map. 2014; Available from: http://prints.mikeschley.com/p858006957/h27B48D70#h27b48d70.
38. Eric L. Boyd, Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. 1999.
39. Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. 2013.
40. Scott F. Gray, Dead in Thay. 2014.
41. R.A. Salvatore, et al., Legacy of the Crystal Shard. 2013.
42. Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Forgotten Realms Atlas. 1990.
KanzenAU Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 01:26:49
That would be a wonder to see! My own group is tackling a ruin of Gharraghaur at the moment, so any extra lore would be of much interest. And thanks for the good feedback, means a lot.
George Krashos Posted - 21 Dec 2016 : 23:59:07

-- George Krashos
KanzenAU Posted - 21 Dec 2016 : 05:17:47
Here's a sample from the Cyclopaedia I'm working on. Advice and criticism welcome. The entries aren't comprehensive, as mentioned above I'm trying to encourage people to seek out the original source material (made much easier these days with the advent of purchasable pdfs).
This is all the locations I have starting with "A".

A
Adbar Road
This road leading south from Citadel Adbar was built by King Adbar, the founder of that dwarven stronghold in the time of ancient Delzoun, to serve as a trade-road bring the wealth of the mines of Adbar to other markets[1]. At the Fork to the south, it meets the Fork Road to Sundabar, as well as a nameless track heading east to the ruins of Ascore[2].

Latest Source: Storm King's Thunder (map only), 2016[3]

Adbar Run
This great valley sits between the Rauvin Mountains to the southwest and the Ice Mountains to the northeast. There are no citadels or outposts here, and it is true wilderness. Goblins and orcs from the nearby mountains may be found here, and it is also occasionally roamed by Uthgardt of the Red Tiger and Sky Pony tribes. A trail leading from Dead Orc Pass passes through here, leading to Adbar Road to the east[2].

Latest Source: War of Everlasting Darkness (map only), 2012

Adofhaer Glade
This glade was once the site of the city of Myth Adofhaer, a part of the elven kingdom of Siluvanede in the High Forest. It disappeared from Faerûn thousands of years ago in a time of great elven conflict, and has not been seen or heard from since. Rumours persist that a tome exists somewhere in the High Forest specifying the conditions for the city’s return to the world[4].

Primary & Latest Source: Lost Empires of Faerûn, 2005[4]

Agatha’s Lair
This grove inside the Neverwinter Wood not far from Conyberry is haunted by the banshee known as Agatha. It has been said that she has taken to looting the Dessarin Valley in the past, but other stories tell of her being a guardian of sorts to the town of Conyberry – at least until the town was destroyed[5]. Rumours persist that it the banshee, centuries old, may answer a visitor’s single question[6]. That is, if they bring her a suitable gift – for otherwise they may find themselves facing the banshee’s wrath. It should be noted that she is no ordinary banshee, and can cast powerful spells[5].

Primary Source: Volo’s Guide to the North, 1993[5]
Latest Source: Lost Mine of Phandelver, 2014[6]

Alsapir’s Rock
This tiny island in the Red Rocks on the Sword Coast was named for a fisherman who died when his boat crashed here long ago. A many-armed tide-water cavern on the western side of the island was once home to Gaulauntyr, a topaz dragon known to some as “the Thief Dragon”[7]. However, she abandoned that lair after she was an attempt to enthrall her there by the Cult of the Dragon. The dragon’s hoard has long since been looted. Curiously, the island is known to always have animals and beasts roaming about – although there is no way for them to get there and they regularly starve to death[9].

Primary & Latest Source: Environs of Waterdeep, 2006[9]

Amphail
Situated on the Long Road to the north of Waterdeep, Amphail is a town with strong connections to that city, and numerous Waterdhavian families keep stables here. The most prominent of these include Houses Amcathra, Ilzimmer, and Roaringhorn[3]. The town itself is named for Amphail the Just, a prominent figure in Waterdeep’s early history[5].

In the town’s centre is black stone statue of the Great Shalarn, a famous war stallion. Local lore holds that if the ghost of its rider, the ranger Yarobyn Longarm, appears on its back, war will soon come to the town. To the west of town stands Horse Pond, a muddy pool full of frogs that is said to hold the entrance to an underwater tomb. In the southeast of town sits a gigantic leafless tree called the Old Dead Rowan, which locals climb to use as a lookout[5].

Primary Source: Volo’s Guide to the North, 1993[5]

Amphail Road
This road has not been detailed in any major sources. It is generally depicted as being between Amphail and Bargewright Inn[10, 11], although some maps also show it making a detour via Goldenfields[9, 12].

Primary Source: Environs of Waterdeep, 2006[9]
Latest Source: Scourge of the Sword Coast, 2014[11]

Anauroch
The great desert of Anauroch serves as the eastern border of the North. It is a barren wasteland of steppeland, rocky wastes, and true desert. Legend states it was not always like this[13], and some of the desert somehow once again began to grow vegetation for a time over the last century. It is said this was linked to the mages of Thultanthar[14], for since that realm’s fall, any greenery has once more been overwhelmed by the vast desert[15]. In the northern part of the Anauroch is an enormous glacier known as the High Ice, and their proximity is a further sign that the desert’s formation is magical in nature. In the centre of the desert is the waterless Plain of Standing Stones, and the south, a hot and sandy desert, is known as the Sword[3, 16]. Desert creatures and monsters have been known to roam from the desert into the eastern fringes of the North[17].

Primary Source: Anauroch – The Empire of Shade, 2007[16]

Araj
This enormous stalagmite in the Upperdark serves as the tower of the drow wizard Vizeran DeVir, one of the greatest magical talents of Menzoberranzan. The centre of the stalagmite is hollowed out and serves as the wizard’s domain, and it is heavily guarded by magical protections[18].

Primary & Latest Source: Out of the Abyss, 2015[18]

Ardeep Forest
This forest was home to the moon elves of Ardeep up until they abandoned their home for Evermeet in the Elven Retreat[4]. It is home to various ruins, some of which are guarded by wood elves that have travelled here from Evermeet[3]. There are too many sites and ruins in the forest to detail here properly, though they include the tomb of the famous elven warrior Reluraun[4, 19], and the royal crypts of the laranlors and laranlas (Kings and Queens) of the realm of Ardeep[9]. For more information, check out Terrlen’s other product, “Ardeep Forest Maps & Guide”, on DM’s Guild.

Primary Source: Lost Empires of Faerûn, 2005[4]

The Ardessway
This trail appears on one of the earliest published maps of the region around Waterdeep[12], and goes between Zundbridge and Womford. The name “Ardessway” is unpublished, but was created by Eric L. Boyd, a well respected Realms designer[20].

Primary & Latest Source: Dragon Magazine #128, 1987[12]

Arn Forest
This forest of pines and bogs lies in wilderness on the northeast flank of the Nether Mountains. Few have reason to travel here, though the gnome settlement of Graevelwood lies in the drier eastern reaches of the forest[2].

Ascalhorn River
This western source stream of the Delimbiyr river is named after the once proud fortress of Ascalhorn, part of the elven realm of Eaerlann. Ascalhorn fell to demons in 882 DR and became known as Hellgate Keep, until it was obliterated in the 1360s and the area became known as Hellgate Dell. The name Ascalhorn comes from Ascal’s Horn, the peak sitting above the river on which the fortress was founded, which itself was named for Ascal Rachiilstar, the founder of the fortress[21].

Primary Source: Hellgate Keep, 1998[21]
Latest Source: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, 2015[15]

Ascore
It is said that Ascore was once a dwarven port in the time of Delzoun, sitting on a sea where the great desert of Anauroch now stands – but now the remains of colossal stone ships, lying half-covered in the desert, are the only clue left to that truth. A nameless trail from the west leads to a cliff overlooking the ruins, where a pair of gigantic stone griffon statues stand guarding a path through the rockface to the ruins below. Although the ruins are rumoured to hold great treasure, few approach due to a feeling of the presence of great evil there. Some say the evil presence comes from the circle of thirteen tall, five-sided red pyramids sitting in the centre of the ruins[22]. The Shadovar of Thultanthar maintained a presence here for a time[2], and were believed to be studying the ruins[4]. However, they are presumed to have fled or been destroyed with the fall of that realm a few years ago.

Auckney
This small village on the Cold Run northwest of Fireshear sitting around a harbor which encloses a small island, on which Castle Auck, the domain of the ruling Auck family lies[23].

Primary & Latest Source: Reader’s Guide to the Legend of Drizzt, 2008
*Author’s Note: I have not read this material, and this information was obtained from forgottenrealms.wikia.com

Auvandell
This small town sits at where the Silverymoon Pass emerges into Sundabar Vale. An old dwarven watchtower from the town of Delzoun stands in the centre of town. The tower is said to have been raised over the hoard of a great dragon defeated by the town’s namesake, a human hero named Auvan Arlandspyr. The area around the town is rugged and hard to farm, and most of Auvandell’s industry can be accounted for by a pair of small mines nearby. The town is ruled by a High Sheriff[2].

Primary & Latest Source: Silver Marches, 2002

References
1. Ed Greenwood, Waterdeep and the North. 1987.
2. Ed Greenwood, Jason Carl, Silver Marches. 2002.
3. Chris Perkins, et al., Storm King's Thunder. 2016.
4. Richard Baker, Ed Bonny, Travis Stout, Lost Empires of Faerûn. 2005.
5. Ed Greenwood, Volo's Guide to the North. 1993.
6. Richard Baker, Chris Perkins, Lost Mine of Phandelver. 2014.
7. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #240 - The Thief Dragon. 1997.
8. Ed Greenwood, et al., Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. 2001.
9. Eric L. Boyd, Environs of Waterdeep - A City of Splendors Forgotten Realms Web Enhancement. 2006.
10. Paul F. Culotta, Dungeon Magazine #026 - The Inheritance. 1990.
11. Tito Leati, Matt Sernett, Chris Sims, Scourge of the Sword Coast. 2014.
12. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #128 - Welcome to Waterdeep. 1987.
13. Ed Greenwood, Forgotten Realms Campaign Set. 1987.
14. Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. 2008.
15. Steve Kenson, et al., Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. 2015.
16. Greg A. Vaughan, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K Reynolds, Anauroch - The Empire of Shade. 2007.
17. Ed Greenwood, et al., The North - Guide to the Savage Frontier. 1996.
18. Steve Kenson, et al., Out of the Abyss. 2015.
19. Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #270 - The Ardeep. 2000.
20. Markustay, Private Message. 2016, Candlekeep Website: forum.candlekeep.com.
21. Steven E. Schend, Hellgate Keep. 1998.
22. Paul Jaquays, The Savage Frontier. 1988.
23. Phillip Athans, Reader's Guide to the Legend of Drizzt. 2008.

farinal Posted - 20 Dec 2016 : 14:30:46
"Cyclopaedia of the North" is a great idea! This will be awesome when it's released for sure! And I agree with Markustay on leaving the places on the map.
Markustay Posted - 20 Dec 2016 : 14:24:07
I leave them on the Player's map. I figure any decent map of the local area would include them. There are literally THOUSANDS of settlements all over Faerûn we don't know about, so why leave off the few we do? Those 'unknowns' should be the ones too minor for players to know of (and is a great device for sneaking-in locales from generic adventures, like ones from old issues of Dungeon magazine).

Which is my reasoning for leaving on the 'dungeons' that are well known, like Hellgate Keep, Dragonspear, Myth Drannor, Shoonach, etc. Those ones that had one appearance somewhere - be it module, article, or story - should be left off the Player's map.

My general rule of thumb is, if it appeared on the campaign maps that came with the edition setting guides, then it should be on the map, along with every single settlement one can find in any source (unless its also a continent-wide map, in which case you may just want to limit it to the same ones on the CG maps).
KanzenAU Posted - 20 Dec 2016 : 11:23:18
In addition:
Do people think that towns that have only about one appearance in source material should appear on the player map, or as DM locales?
I'm specifically referring to places like Trollbridge, Auckney, Hopefast, and Orglaunt. By default I've left them off the player map, but I'm interested to hear others' thoughts.
KanzenAU Posted - 20 Dec 2016 : 11:09:00
I've realised that for this map to be truly useful to people outside of this forum, I need to tell them what all the different locations actually are. To this end, I'm preparing a companion "Cyclopaedia of the North" to the map. I've just finished listing the locations and geographical features on the map, and they come in at somewhere around 250!

So, it may be a little longer until the map's release as I slowly detail all these. The detail will be minimal to try and encourage people to get the original sources (and support the original authors).

At the moment the idea is to release the map in it's 1491 form, in both player and DM versions, hexed and unhexed. Plus, there will be a version with only Storm King's Thunder locations on it for those playing through that, and another version with Underdark locations included as well. There will also be a 1375 map included.

While this is being done, plenty more time for feedback!
Brimstone Posted - 19 Dec 2016 : 15:00:29
1372 DR
Markustay Posted - 19 Dec 2016 : 14:38:05
Silver Marches was around 1375, I believe.
farinal Posted - 19 Dec 2016 : 14:30:52
I will use it for my campaign based on the 3E Silver Marches book so I think that makes it around year 1350s?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000