Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mythal Ghosts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Masked Mage Posted - 15 Jul 2017 : 16:43:13
Hey guys - I remember Ed once did a somewhat detailed writeup about myhtal ghosts, but I cannot remember where to find it. Anyone know?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Oct 2018 : 01:00:34
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

The weave whispers is a scroll here.

I don't remember the source of the ghosts. Could be anything since it was something like 20 years ago now. My mind doesn't track back that far on details.

The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 21:55:19
The weave whispers is a scroll here.

I don't remember the source of the ghosts. Could be anything since it was something like 20 years ago now. My mind doesn't track back that far on details.
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 01:47:26
Master Mage,

Bummer that wasn't what you were looking for in this case. So it was a scroll specifically here at the Keep?

Best regards,

quote:

Nope :P

The Weave Whispers have their own scroll here from back in the day. Almost all of them have been discussed AT LENGTH therein.

The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 01:37:28
I never found Ed's description (which I know I read LONG ago) but the Weave Ghosts were featured in the Spellfire series of novels. Countless spirits from ancient Netheril and elsewhere that had been freed from magical bindings to items etc. that were drawn to the Spellchambers beneath Silverymoon. From there some were drawn to Blackstaff Tower. And one was drawn to Shandaril.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 01:20:23
Nope :P

The Weave Whispers have their own scroll here from back in the day. Almost all of them have been discussed AT LENGTH therein.
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 22:06:22
Master Mage,

I believe this is what you seek, and it is a very long quote:
quote:
To quote old Elminster during one of our earliest conversations together about spells and age-old, waiting enchantments and items that can spit forth impressive, deadly, and/or useful effects:

"Ah, the magic. The fire, the fury, the surprises lurking in the shadows. . . . Aye, I can see your eyes. I know it catches your interest more than almost anything else. It does the same to me -- still, after all this time."

The problem is, I have a house full of enchantments. The Simbul's private spells. Alustriel's court spells. A few "Elminster specials." Not yet published notes. Things I can't explain yet, or that might never fit into the new edition of D&D, or that are in there but are better told of by others who've reshaped them to make the whole thing fly better -- or who have some, ahem, big secrets that it's only fair that we save for now.

So here I've decided to just mention a little tiny something that won't be in the new Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. Something that doesn't offend against game balance, no matter what edition of the game you're running. Some small but fascinating magic of Faerūn called "weave whispers.

Huh? You're hearing voices? Spells talk to you? Ah, did Elminster leave you something a little strong in a flagon, Ed?

Well, no. Weave whispers are just that: snippets of voices or sounds, usually from long ago (and therefore persons or creatures long-lost), that can be heard in certain places, at certain times.

Sometimes they sound when a long-extant magical field fails or is shattered. In other places they accompany almost any wild magic effect. Sometimes they're sent by the servants of Mystra or Azuth in answer to prayers or offerings laid upon an altar. Sometimes they manifest over the dying body of a powerful archmage or at the breaking or burning of an object that is (or has been) strongly enchanted (particularly if the object has at some time held some part of an intelligent being's sentience, essence, or power). Casting certain spells -- or any spell, in a particular place -- will sometimes awaken a weave whisper. Some cling to portals and can be heard by those awakening them or traversing them.

Here are a few that Elminster called up for my hearing. As for their meanings, I've no speculations that I quite dare to share. I'm sure you'll understand why.

Dignified, dry male voice: "Thoadrus is the one. A circle about an arc of three stars, his sigil. Beware the traps that always lurk in his craftings. The key to one can be used to trigger all his others, but also -- we know not how -- can serve to seal them until a key is used to break that seal."

Wondering, awed young female voice: "The stag-headed mage is the guardian, and Harper pins seem to fall from his hands at will, as if creating them is for him a matter of a moment's silent thought. I saw him touch a sword once, and it crumbled!"

A cluster of singing, bell-like tones, followed by an angry male voice: "Again, ye force me too far! Not every War Wizard can be bent to thy will! Some of us serve deeper dreams, and are every bit as stubborn as you! So bide awhile in these chains, and think new thoughts!"

Whispering female voice: "Oh, Mystra, that it has come to this! The emerald rod is broken, and the dragon that flies through minds is loosed. Thay will become what we all feared."

Curt male voice: "I find gargoyles more reliable. The one hidden in Castle Waterdeep has escaped notice these three centuries, and I can awaken it to my bidding with a single word. Meet my price, and the slaughter will follow."

Pedantic male voice: "There were three such swords. Only this one survives, because mages hate them: Their thrusts shatter spells."

Cold, level female voice: "There have been regents before, and there will be regents again. Don't let such qualms stop you from slaying and impersonating this one. Of course, you may not be the only one polishing such a stratagem."

Agitated young male voice: "The Simbul hid it here -- I saw her! Four coins in hand opens the portal, but it's guarded by faceless things with claws!"

Arrogant, aged male voice: "In time, we'll doubtless discover why the gods make one man so powerful. Surely such exacting investigations can wait until his murder's accomplished!"

Quavering female voice: "Six wands hidden by nothing more than a crumbling dragon skull located not three stones in from a door hundreds of courtiers pass daily. Is this wise?"

Male voice, murmuring confidentially: "The passwords are: 'Three ravens yet seven claws.' But mind, all of those words must be used at separate doors, one at a time, and the right one at each."

Female voice, wracked with pain: "Branter was right. We laid his bones behind Wyvernmaw Rock, and put his staff and rings there, too. The curse is on them still, but he said riding a wyrm was worth it. Those were his last words -- and these, I fear, are mine."

Here is the URL to the article in the Wayback Machine as well:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090604101115/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010404

Best regards as always,

quote:

Hey guys - I remember Ed once did a somewhat detailed writeup about myhtal ghosts, but I cannot remember where to find it. Anyone know?

The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Jun 2018 : 07:07:17
Yeah, that's what Hoondatha referred to in the first reply. Unfortunately, the mythal ghosts from myth drannor are not a separate being, but are more like projections attached to whole beings. Not what I'm trying to find :P
TBeholder Posted - 10 Jun 2018 : 06:54:56
quote:
The Mythal Ghosts
A creature who dwells within the mythal for more than nine
days develops a "mythal ghost." This is a shadowy, tenuous
likeness of the creature that is released to serve him only
when he is at or near death (fewer than 10% of hit points remaining)
or is rendered immobile (tied up, pinned under
fallen rubble, or buried). A mythal ghost has the same abilities
and statistics as the creature it mirrors and can move and
wield items but cannot speak or cast spells. It is not affected
by fire, cold, or undead attacks and has hit points equal to its
owner's full hit point total.
If, and only if, the injured or trapped creature remains motionless,
the ghost can be freed. The owner of a mythal ghost
feels a floating, moving sensation when the conditions for
freeing the ghost are met. Once released, ghosts can fly
upward or downward 20 feet per round and can walk on air.
If struck or borne downward, they are always affected as if
by a feather fall. If desired, they can move with utter silence.
A mythal ghost can attempt to free its owner from re-
straints, can fight against foes of its owner, can warn or direct
others through silent gestures, can retrieve items its owner
cannot reach, can transfer items held by its owner to another,
and so on. Mythal ghosts can fight other mythal ghosts. A
mythal ghost is affected by magic normally but cannot be
contacted or affected psionically. It is destroyed when reduced
to 0 hit points or when its owner dies.
A mythal ghost needs no air or sustenance and cannot
drown. It can carry food to its owner but cannot eat to nourish
its owner. It cannot remain vigilant while its owner sleeps,
though an owner slipping into unconsciousness can will her
alert self to pass entirely into her ghost. In this case, the
owner cannot awaken until the ghost returns to merge with
her; normally, an owner can remain alert from both her own
body and the ghost at the same time, and can move or speak
with her body at will (instantly destroying the ghost).
The ability to generate a mythal ghost lasts for one year for
every 24 hours spent in the mythal beyond the nine-day minimum
needed to spin a ghost. A visitor who spends 12 days in
Myth Drannor could generate a mythal ghost up to three
years later, when imprisoned in a dungeon cell somewhere in
Calimshan, or laid low with a broken leg in the wilds north of
Silverymoon. There are no limitations on the distance between
a mythal ghost and its owner (though a ghost cannot
pass outside of the Prime Material Plane).
DM's Note: This power of Elminster's making is one of the
more carefully hidden abilities granted by the mythal. It is
never revealed to folk of Myth Drannor until they are panicked
by capture or approaching death and the magic activates
involuntarily. Of those who have used their mythal ghosts
and survived (or seen them in action), none ever mention
the power for fear that speaking of their mystical doubles
may negate their use again later in life. This superstition
is shared among all races and is yet another of those "open
secrets" never spoken out loud but understood by all.
- Cormanthyr (TSR#1165)

Thus it was first built into Myth Drannor's mythal.
And, of course, when said mythal gone wild, this effect also began to interact with other magic in various bizarre ways.
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Jun 2018 : 04:53:02
The specific character is Evaerol Rathrane

"... hid himself in one of the greatest magic items he'd ever crafted. ...trapped in his own disguise for a time so mind-singingly long as to almost break him

He'd clung to his own name desperately, drifting in increasing despair, until the day came at last when someone's misuse of the item that held him set him free.

Long he'd drifted, a tattered wraith of spellstuff with whispering awareness and a burning will, until he chanced upon magic so strong that it was a blinding beacon.

To it he crept, hunger growing, and so found Silverymoon and its palace where trapped magics of tome and item were strongest, with a human woman who seemed like a flame of living magic at its heart.

Others of Rathrane's kind had gathered there, too, to warm themselves in the spellglows and slowly grow stronger and more substantial. In the magics cast on stone and glass and air many Netherese mage-wraiths lurked, watching this Alustriel of Silverymoon"
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Jun 2018 : 03:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There was an article from 2001 called Weave Whispers; I believe it was web content.

Can't find anything else that looks any kind of relevant on my NAS, at least not searching for the word Weave in the title.

I think where I was getting this idea was the "Netherese mage-wraiths" in Hand of Fire. Old netherese wizard, bound to artifact, detached from artifact and drifts along the Weave toward strong concentrations of magic, eventually leading it to the Chosen and Shandril.

Would love to see them detailed.
Zeromaru X Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 18:13:08
Aren't those Weave Ghost related with the Harpers ghost? If so, you can found info about them in Code of the Harpers.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 16:47:38
There was an article from 2001 called Weave Whispers; I believe it was web content.

Can't find anything else that looks any kind of relevant on my NAS, at least not searching for the word Weave in the title.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 16:36:16
I guess what I'm really looking for is Ed's little description of spirits in the Weave. "Weave Ghosts" maybe? I don't know. I know it was a long time ago.
George Krashos Posted - 16 Jul 2017 : 04:20:51
And I did a 5E version in my "Ilmara's Scrying Stones" article on the DMs Guild:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/202378/Bazaar-of-the-Bizarre--Ilmaras-Scrying-Stones

-- George Krashos
Hoondatha Posted - 15 Jul 2017 : 20:47:36
Mythal ghosts are explained in detail in both Ruins of Myth Drannor and Cormanthyr. I'm familiar with them appearing elsewhere, though there may have been a 3e copy/paste of the information somewhere.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000