Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sneak Peek on Timeless

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
d00dz Posted - 07 Jun 2018 : 06:04:33
As a huge Drizzt and Jarlaxle fan, I'm liking it so far! I just hope it doesn't feel as rushed as Hero.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-excellently-epic-wizard-battle-highlights-this-sneak-1826486860
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 07 Sep 2018 : 05:42:59
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

ANyone read Timeless yet? While I don't necessarily want spoilers; if there's a lot of Realms lore in it I may read it so would be good to know if there is!

I should buy it anyway just to give the Realms novel line a boost, even if Drizzt is his own monster now.

There's more Realms lore in it than most previous Drizzt novels, but that's not really saying a lot. I'd read somewhere that it is relatively easy for WotC to license out Drizzt because it's insular enough to be practically a franchise of its own separate from FR as a whole, and well, this is consistent in Timeless. If you're looking for lore, I'd suggest waiting until the prices come down for the e-book version and/or for the paperback version to come out to save some money.

Also, in another scroll here on Candlekeep, George Krashos said that even if Timeless does very well, it most likely wouldn't affect whether FR novels written by authors other than Bob will get published. I've seen professional reviewers and bloggers also agree with this. The FR movie has the biggest chance of bringing back novels, whereas the success of Timeless seems that it'll only affect how much money Bob makes.

This is the issue I have with the Drizzt books. I love Drizzt, but the books are basically representing the Realms now, and I feel they need to actually represent the Realms, rather than just treating it as "oh yeah, it takes place in Faerun. Here are a few Faerunian things".
CorellonsDevout Posted - 07 Sep 2018 : 05:14:03
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

Realmslore in a Drizzt book? That's optimitsic! You can barely tell his books were even set in the Realms.

Agreed. I would say the Realmslore in Timeless is minimal. There was a veiled reference to Eilistraee, but nothing outright.
Tasker Daze Posted - 07 Sep 2018 : 02:57:34
Realmslore in a Drizzt book? That's optimitsic! You can barely tell his books were even set in the Realms.
Caolin Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 23:16:48
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

The FR movie has the biggest chance of bringing back novels

DOOOMED WE'RE ALL DOOOMED!!
sno4wy Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 19:34:31
quote:

I'll go see the FR movie 100 times then! :) IF only they'd sell the IP to a company that wanted to use it properly. Or just have Ed get it back.

Don't forget to also buy 100 copies to give to all of your friends.
Seravin Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 19:22:33
I'll go see the FR movie 100 times then! :) IF only they'd sell the IP to a company that wanted to use it properly. Or just have Ed get it back.
sno4wy Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 18:59:46
quote:

ANyone read Timeless yet? While I don't necessarily want spoilers; if there's a lot of Realms lore in it I may read it so would be good to know if there is!

I should buy it anyway just to give the Realms novel line a boost, even if Drizzt is his own monster now.

There's more Realms lore in it than most previous Drizzt novels, but that's not really saying a lot. I'd read somewhere that it is relatively easy for WotC to license out Drizzt because it's insular enough to be practically a franchise of its own separate from FR as a whole, and well, this is consistent in Timeless. If you're looking for lore, I'd suggest waiting until the prices come down for the e-book version and/or for the paperback version to come out to save some money.

Also, in another scroll here on Candlekeep, George Krashos said that even if Timeless does very well, it most likely wouldn't affect whether FR novels written by authors other than Bob will get published. I've seen professional reviewers and bloggers also agree with this. The FR movie has the biggest chance of bringing back novels, whereas the success of Timeless seems that it'll only affect how much money Bob makes.
Caolin Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 16:37:49
I thought about buying it. But I listened to the excerpt on Audible and grew incredibly bored with even more Drow intrigue. Oh look at that, another matron and another demon are planning on taking their revenge......yawn.
Seravin Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 10:00:12

Bragi Posted - 02 Jul 2018 : 21:43:58
I highly doubt we'll see anymore novels but I'm hopeful. This was a special deal made by Salvatore and WotC. I'm trying to track down some of the later novels that I've missed out on so I suspect that will keep me busy for a while.
Seravin Posted - 02 Jul 2018 : 19:47:33
Would *kill* for a new Alias novel by Grubb/Novak...or her sisters or daughters or whatever (throw in some Wyvernspurs and Finder)... Are you listening Harper Collins? :) I'll pay for the darn book myself!
Irennan Posted - 02 Jul 2018 : 17:06:47
Yes, Elaine. Every single of her novels was a joy to read, and a superb insight into the Realms. As a bonus, she is also respectful of continuity, and strives to make the Realms come to life, not to disregard and/or warp the lore to make it fit the story (like others have done). If there's someone that I'd like to see more novels from, that's her (and--as unpopular as this opinion might be--Ed, especially because of the lore gems that you can find scattered throughout his books).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jul 2018 : 13:41:13
My personal faves among Realms authors are Elaine Cunningham and the duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. I'd love to see new novels from their pens.

And though their work doesn't do it for me, both Paul S Kemp and Erin Evans have proven rather popular. I'm kinda surprised that they, at least, have not been tapped for new novels (though I understand that there may be some unresolved issues betwixt Paul S Kemp and WotC).
Gyor Posted - 02 Jul 2018 : 10:12:25
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Just RAS/Drizzt. They explicitly said as much. From what I understand, their lines are character-based, and they expressed interest in getting Drizzt.

That is unfortunate because FR has better novelists then Salvatore honestly.

Unfortunate that WotC is still horribly mishandling the novels issue.
Irennan Posted - 08 Jun 2018 : 21:57:43
Just RAS/Drizzt. They explicitly said as much. From what I understand, their lines are character-based, and they expressed interest in getting Drizzt.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jun 2018 : 21:53:04
Ok... so is there any official news on maybe harper Collins will be releasing FR novels now? Did they buy the license? Or did they just buy the license for drizzt?
Irennan Posted - 08 Jun 2018 : 16:47:14
No, not WotC. It's Harper Collins, and yes, it will be physical.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jun 2018 : 16:35:16
wait... they're putting out novels again??? Granted, not a big drizzt fan, as I'm still not caught up on all of them, but still.... that's possibly a good sign. Is it under WotC and will it be physical?
Irennan Posted - 08 Jun 2018 : 01:17:24
I know, I wouldn't want to see E&V from RAS either. Elaine is the only writer who wrote a novel where Eilistraee played a major part while staying true to her lore (and the way Eilistraee was there for Liriel in all the key moments, yet subtly and delicately, was beautiful). Sadly, Elaine is out of WotC's loop.

About Drizzt's "specialness", the fact that his perceived uniqueness as a character is based not on a character trait, but on something that is--in all honesty--poor worldbuilding (for many reasons), speaks volumes on how WotC regard him IMHO.

Lamora Posted - 08 Jun 2018 : 01:08:28
Yeah... don't expect that from Salvatore. He has already confessed that he doesn't like Elistrae and Vhaeraun at all. Thus they have never once been mentioned (I don't believe) in 30+ books focused on a dark elf. Drizzt doesn't become 'special' if there are many other drow that forsake Lolth after all.
Irennan Posted - 07 Jun 2018 : 21:20:36
I'm tired of "mustache-twirling evil" Lolthites, but I would love to see more of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, especially given their return and supposed truce (from someone who respects them, like Elaine or Ed, not from someone who literally sniped many parts of the lore to warp and distort it, like Smedman did). Sadly, it will likely not happen.
Caolin Posted - 07 Jun 2018 : 21:11:03
I'm so so so soooooo tired of Drizzt and the Dark Elves in general. There was a time when this IP was very dynamic and interesting. That was a very long time ago.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000