Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 List of Mithril Hall dwarfs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jimbobx Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 10:58:08
Does anyone have a list of the Clan names of the dwarves residing in Mithril Hall? Before 4ed.

Ta muchly,
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cards77 Posted - 29 May 2018 : 02:02:12
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Found another:
  • Dredgewelder, aka "Fine Family Yellowbeard" (The Orc King, P3:C18)

Wanted to say thank you and that I'm researching this exact thing for my campaign.

You saved me much time your efforts will be put to good use at my gaming table.

Cheers!
BEAST Posted - 06 Jan 2009 : 18:51:23
Found another:
  • Dredgewelder, aka "Fine Family Yellowbeard" (The Orc King, P3:C18)

Brimstone Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 08:46:16
-I found it very helpful. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE
Jimbobx Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 08:11:35
Cheers Beast,

Thats the best reply to my post I could ask for.
BEAST Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 07:42:30
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Impressive research BEAST. I applaud your efforts. I'm never usually so inclined to make notes from the various drow-related novels, so your particular working here is quite beneficial.

Glad to be of service. Hope this helps someone out there.
The Sage Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 23:39:59
Impressive research BEAST. I applaud your efforts. I'm never usually so inclined to make notes from the various drow-related novels, so your particular working here is quite beneficial.
BEAST Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 11:48:41
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

Does anyone have a list of the Clan names of the dwarves residing in Mithril Hall? Before 4ed.

It is difficult to determine the precise origin of all of the various sub-clans that have ever been mentioned as residing within MH, since:

1) we were originally told that less than a hundred fighting dwarves from Clan Battlehammer (total) survived in Icewind Dale (The Crystal Shard, P2:C16); and

2) of the some 2000 dwarves who relocated with General Dagna from Citadel Adbar to the Hall, we just don't know how many of them were originally from MH, versus from elsewhere.

That being said, here's a working list, with cites of their first occurrence:

• Battlehammer (Sojourn, P5:C22; TCSh, P1:C2)

• Fellhammer (TCSh, P2:C16)

• Grimblade (TCSh, P2:C16)

• Mallot (TCSh, P3:C31; Streams of Silver, P1:C1)

• Silverstrike (The Savage Frontier, p.43)

• Waybeards (possibly from Citadel Adbar; surname of Generals Dagna and Dagnabbit; "Dagnabit" first mentioned in The Halfling's Gem, Epi.; Dagna first mentioned in The Legacy, P1:C2; surname first mentioned in The Two Swords, P2:C14)

• Pwent (TL, P2:C8)

• Bracer (Starless Night, P2:C8)

• Muffinhead (The Thousand Orcs, P2:C14)

• Kickastone (possibly CA; TTO, P4:C26)

• Brawnanvil (The Lone Drow, P1:C2)

• HuskenNugget (possibly CA; (TLD, P2:C13)

• Doughbeard (possibly CA; TLD, P2:C13)

• Ironforge (possibly CA; TLD, P3:C17)

• Stouthammer (possibly CA; TTS, P1:C1)

• Ironcap (possibly CA; TTS, P1:C1)

• Hardhatter (possibly CA; "Bones and Stones")

• Ironfist (possibly CA; "BAS")

• Standstone (possibly CA; Silver Marches, p.78)

• Crossedaxe (possibly CA; SM, p.78)

• Dredgewelder, aka "Fine Family Yellowbeard" (possibly CA; The Orc King, P3:C18)

It is unclear whether the Waybeards (Generals Dagna and Dagnabbit) were also originally from MH, before their time in CA. That Dagna so readily decided to stay on in MH could be a sign of a past connection. However, the fact that he wasn't being considered seriously for leadership of the clan (TLD, P1:C6), and that he had previously even passed up stewardship (TLD, P1:C4), could be a sign of a lack of such a connection.

The above list is not meant to be taken as exhaustive, but it covers the names that came to my mind and which I had notes on...

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

OP, thanks for posting. You reminded me that I never sent the Dwarven Name Table I compiled to Alaundo, like I promised.

I look forward to seeing this online, some day.

quote:

I was looking to create an NPC for my campaign who would be in charge of all Mithril Hall trade enquiries. Hawkins has brought the Brawnanvils to my attention so I think I will use that as my NPC's clan name.

The Brawnanvils seem to have played a major role within Clan Battlehammer:

- Banak - warcommander (TLD, P1:C2)
- Brusco - eastern guard (TLD, P2:C13)
- Wocco - chief blacksmith (TLD, P4:C24)
- Bellan - sideslinger catapult operator (TTS, P1:C4)

Thus, it is entirely possible (probable, even) that another Brawnanvil might serve as an emissary, too.

Note also that priest Cordio Muffinhead's younger brother, Sindel (TLD, P1:C4), a pie baker, is specifically mentioned as serving as a MH emissary to Citadel Felbarr. (This sounds somewhat like Garak the Cardassian barber/spy in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine...)

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Also, he is paralyzed from the waist down, so I am not sure how that effects his eligibility for kingship, I think not that much considering that Bruenor was missing an eye for a long time there, and even maimed he was still king before it got regenerated (I don't remember the exact circumstances of the particular event).

Bruenor's eye went missing because of a run-in with a drow fighter near the end of TL. Exactly which eye was missing varied throughout the books of the mini-series "Legacy of the Drow".

The regeneration of his eye (and possibly also Regis's fingers) was the result of the Shores of Dusk TSR/RAS flare-up. Rather than have another author take over the Drizzt saga, RAS tied up all of his characters' loose ends himself in Passage to Dawn. Wulfie definitively came back to life, and Bruenie's eye suddenly began working again (actually the result of lots of healing spells, over the course of years).

BTW, Banak also appears to have suffered an eye injury from one of the previous drow invasions of MH, but his still has not healed completely; his eye is discolored, and his face scarred, though we're never told that he has any vision problems (TLD, P1:C2).

[spoiler] I guess Bruenor's health care plan included better doctors! Either that, or greater coverage... [/ spoiler]
Jimbobx Posted - 21 Nov 2008 : 08:59:24
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Cheers for the replies, people.

Hawkins was right I'm looking for subclans of Battlehammer living within Mithril Hall.

I was looking to create an NPC for my campaign who would be in charge of all Mithril Hall trade enquiries. Hawkins has brought the Brawnanvils to my attention so I think I will use that as my NPC's clan name.

Many thanks,
Just as a not, Banak Brawnavil is Bruenor's closest living relative and next inline for kingship, just thought that you might want to take that into account. Also, he is paralyzed from the waist down, so I am not sure how that effects his eligibility for kingship, I think not that much considering that Bruenor was missing an eye for a long time there, and even maimed he was still king before it got regenerated (I don't remember the exact circumstances of the particular event).

I was planning to create a BrawnAnvil for the role (perhaps a younger brother or son) not use Banak himself. He doesn't strike me as being smooth enough for a trade envoy. Cheers for the help, though.
Hawkins Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 20:17:45
quote:

Hawkins was right I'm looking for subclans of Battlehammer living within Mithril Hall.

Many thanks,
Just as a not, Banak Brawnavil is Bruenor's closest living relative and next inline for kingship, just thought that you might want to take that into account. Also, he is paralyzed from the waist down, so I am not sure how that effects his eligibility for kingship, I think not that much considering that Bruenor was missing an eye for a long time there, and even maimed he was still king before it got regenerated (I don't remember the exact circumstances of the particular event).
Jimbobx Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 17:56:03

Many thanks,
Lord Karsus Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 17:18:27
quote:

Though having the drow names mixed in there doesn't help much, nor the aquatic elves either. You can sometimes guess some of the drow ones, since use the letters "x" and "z" much more in their names, but that's by no means a hard rule (Xzorsh is perhaps the best example of that).

-Drow names are not included in the list, though Aquatic Elven name are.

quote:

Green elves (I refuse to use the stupid distinction between wood and wild, but in this case it's irrelevant) tend to have different names than gold/moon, so they would also have been nice to have notes. Perhaps even more important in their case, since it's harder to discern a green elf name from a their more commonly-referenced kin.

-Again, same thing. The naming conventions of the Wood Elves does not necessarily change from that of the wider "overculture" of Elves. While some are more...uncommon in other Elven cultures, such as Foxfire, others, like Nakiasha, wouldn't be. While many live in deep isolation, and have become feral and barbaric and such, others live side-by-side with Sun Elves, Moon Elves and Star Elves, and share their culture.
Hoondatha Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 04:16:30
I admit that it makes less difference with the clan names. I apologize, I meant primarily the given names. Though having the drow names mixed in there doesn't help much, nor the aquatic elves either. You can sometimes guess some of the drow ones, since use the letters "x" and "z" much more in their names, but that's by no means a hard rule (Xzorsh is perhaps the best example of that).

Green elves (I refuse to use the stupid distinction between wood and wild, but in this case it's irrelevant) tend to have different names than gold/moon, so they would also have been nice to have notes. Perhaps even more important in their case, since it's harder to discern a green elf name from a their more commonly-referenced kin.

And please don't take this as a knock against the list. I love it, use it often, and, being embarked on a similar project, know exactly how much work went into it. I just think more information could have been included to make it even better. I should probably also mention that I'm an archivist by trade, so metadata kind of rules my life.
Lord Karsus Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 03:53:14
quote:

Still, it has more than a thousand names in it, broken down by subrace and gender. This is due to a major pet peeve I have with the otherwise wonderful Elven Name Table: it doesn't have subrace. It's actually a bigger deal for the elf table than the dwarven one, since most of the dwarven names are shield dwarves. I also included the source of the name, so you could go research it on your own.

-Because naming conventions aren't broken down by subrace. There are Sun Elven Moonflowers, Moon Elven Durothils, and so on.

-The sole exception are the al-Qaheran Elves and the Eastern Lythari, whose cultures are radically different than the "overculture" of the Elves of Faerūn, and names from said racial groups are denotes as being either al-Qaheran or Eastern Lythari, as are words from both cultures.
Hoondatha Posted - 20 Nov 2008 : 03:13:07
OP, thanks for posting. You reminded me that I never sent the Dwarven Name Table I compiled to Alaundo, like I promised.

It's not complete; I started it while I was unemployed and happily am now working. Unfortunately, it means I don't have time to reread every single FR sourcebook and novel for dwarven names. For instance, it doesn't have any 3e sourcebooks, or most of the mid to late 3e novels, but it does have all 1e and 2e sourcebooks and most of the 1e and 2e novels.

Still, it has more than a thousand names in it, broken down by subrace and gender. This is due to a major pet peeve I have with the otherwise wonderful Elven Name Table: it doesn't have subrace. It's actually a bigger deal for the elf table than the dwarven one, since most of the dwarven names are shield dwarves. I also included the source of the name, so you could go research it on your own.

Last names were tricky, because you often couldn't tell if it was a "clan" a "house" a "family" or just a general surname or nickname (like Frostbeard, last king of Shanatar). So unless the text explicitly said what it was, I left it blank.

Give me a day or two to clean it up and I'll send it along to Alaundo. I could also send it to you via email, if you PM me your address.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 21:53:17
Enough. We don't need any more of that.
Drakul Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 20:04:17
It wasn't a 'snarky' comment. It was a simple statement. Nothing more. If you are 'irritated' with me, then it all boils down to you bein irritated with yourself and how you took it. Now, can we get back on topic without you tryin to start somethin which I never instigated??
Hawkins Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 19:40:38
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Well, they joined up with Clan Battlehammer (as everyone duly knows). I do see that Gandalug was not mentioned.

All I was trying to do was acquire subclan names for the OP, not every name of every individual of every clan (or even every member of the Battlehammer clan). Many of the names I mention have brothers or cousins with the same surname. If you would like me to mention the names of some of Mirabarran Dwarves who joined clan Battlehammer, then just ask and I will see what I can do. Making snarky comments just makes me irritated with you. Unless the OP asks though, then I will not include them in this scroll because I am trying to cut down on OT posts.
Drakul Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 18:26:09
Well, they joined up with Clan Battlehammer (as everyone duly knows). I do see that Gandalug was not mentioned.
Hawkins Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 18:16:27
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Don't forget the Mirabarran Dwarves.

I was specifically avoiding them because I thought that the OP wanted subclans that originated in Mithril Hall.
Drakul Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 17:26:30
Don't forget the Mirabarran Dwarves.
Hawkins Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 18:48:25
I am guessing that since there is Thibbledorf Pwent, that there is also a Pwent subclan. Other dwarves from Mithral Hall in the Drizzt books include Banak Brawnavil, Bonnerbas Ironcap, Cordio Muffinhead, and Runabout Kickastone; so you might conjecture that their surnames are also subclans of Clan Battlehammer.
Lord Karsus Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 17:22:02
-Hey, it's all I got.
Jimbobx Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 07:35:18
Battlehammer you say? I hadn't heard of them...I'll write that one down.

Lord Karsus Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 16:51:12
-Obviously, there is Clan Battlehammer, for starters.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000