Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Things to find in a Crown War-era Illythir dungeon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mi-Go Posted - 16 May 2018 : 13:21:21
I am designing a small subterranean dungeon that would be an unfound and now extinct weapon/magic item cache from the Crown Wars, full of not-yet Dark Elven stuff and "automated" defences.

From my reading, before Lolth many of the nastier surface elves worshiped Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur, so slimes and oozes as nigh-eternal guardians sound like a good idea but what else? All living creatures at the very least would have either suffocated or starved to death thousands of years ago.

I am quickly running out of thematically fitting ideas. Any help?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Irennan Posted - 26 May 2018 : 17:38:47
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

An ancient, crumbling tome written in a long-forgotten language.

Translated, it's the diary of a teenage dark elven goth waxing poetic about sunshine, roses and birdsong and complaining about how his parents just don't understand the joy in his soul.

Genial!
sleyvas Posted - 26 May 2018 : 13:23:55
quote:

Translated, it's the diary of a teenage dark elven goth waxing poetic about sunshine, roses and birdsong and complaining about how his parents just don't understand the joy in his soul.

WINNER!!
sfdragon Posted - 26 May 2018 : 06:36:07
also a lot of dust....watch yer asthma
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 May 2018 : 09:33:48
quote:

LordofBones Posted - 24 May 2018 : 09:00:02

sfdragon Posted - 24 May 2018 : 07:27:41
well she did leave them behind with an ancient member of house beanre.... in one of those ancient dungeons.
sleyvas Posted - 23 May 2018 : 13:14:16
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

lolth's underwear....

Does she leave them behind for everyone she sleeps with? I thought I was special.... oh and that thing she can do with her 5th and 6th hands while she's .... um, nevermind...
sfdragon Posted - 23 May 2018 : 08:46:57
yep remember that too..... ancient unholy symbols ,
TBeholder Posted - 22 May 2018 : 10:38:41
Right, it was mentioned somewhere - paraphernalia of early Dark Seldarine worship, which currently would be considered ludicrously heretical.
sfdragon Posted - 22 May 2018 : 09:23:33
lolth's underwear....
Lord Karsus Posted - 17 May 2018 : 01:26:01
-By the time the Crown Wars were bring fought, Lolth was (generally speaking) the primary deity of the Ilythiiri, so you can go with all that Lolth-related spider and demon stuff as well.

-Baelnorn, too.
Seethyr Posted - 16 May 2018 : 23:43:07
Dungeons like these are great excuses to bring back creatures from earlier editions. I’d consider rummaging through some old Dragon Magazines and smile at the goodies you’ve forgotten about.
Bladewind Posted - 16 May 2018 : 17:15:02
For the shadowy sections of the fortress where the Vhaeraunites held power I'd drop shadows (former ilythiiri militia) led by shadow fiend generals (clad in adamentine fullplate) and the occasional bound gehreleth and mephit. The armory might hold an adamantine or shadow golem, stocked with occasionally animated adamantine arms, piwafiis and blades. And a mimic, of course :P Most of the vhaeraunite architecture would be divided in function by lower class barracks up to the master towers.

The slimy sections where the Ghaunadaurrans held sway I'd make use of their tendency to experiment with life forces, so the menageries of chimeric creatures with experimental templates used for the Crown Wars might hold some surviving horrible lifeforms for pcs to accidentally free. A petrified remains of a winged wemic, a sickened and oozing black unicorn held in stasis, ooze-frozen aquatic/arctic bugbears and other creepy biomancy experiments. Ghaunadaurran architecture would be more experimental (equal chance to fail the test of time as to eternally endure in form) and militarized, with defensive structures to be able to section of parts of the fortress into hazardous buffer zones (i.e. deadly gas or ooze traps).
TBeholder Posted - 16 May 2018 : 15:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Go

I am designing a small subterranean dungeon that would be an unfound and now extinct weapon/magic item cache from the Crown Wars, full of not-yet Dark Elven stuff and "automated" defences.

Why not-yet Dark Elven? Dark Elven (mostly), not-yet Drow.
quote:
From my reading, before Lolth many of the nastier surface elves worshiped Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur, so slimes and oozes as nigh-eternal guardians sound like a good idea but what else?

This leaves wards (perhaps badly decayed), undead (completely insane after being trapped for this long), critters from other planes (also quite insane, unless they were near-mindless, and/or cross-contaminated with the environment) and constructs (in various and unknown conditions).
Storyteller Hero Posted - 16 May 2018 : 14:02:51
Otyughs for cleaning the sewage system...

sleyvas Posted - 16 May 2018 : 13:24:57
Banshees. Golems. Animated armor and weapons. Demons in traps. Undead elves.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000