Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kodingobolds

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 17 May 2018 : 15:28:02
I don’t know if I dreamed it or what, but I remember there was a short story somewhere (I believe in one of the Realms novel compilations) that had a creature known as the kodingobold which was either an offshoot or the progenitor race for kobolds. With all the dragon and Kurtulmak history I can’t imagine reconciling them being progenitors but I still have a few questions.

1. Does anyone remember specifically what novel/short story kodingobolds were found in?
2. Could Kobold lore be compatible with this? How would you reconcile the inconsistencies?
3. Has anyone ever statted up a kodingobold, particularly for 5e?
4. Have you ever used a kodingobold in your campaign? Maybe they’re from Osse?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 May 2018 : 15:00:07
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

actually, what someone said earlier... dingo... from what was describe above this sounds like a tauric rat folk. They have "rat tails"/"four-footed doglike bodies/"scrawny humanoid torso". So, what about a small tauric created by joining giant rats and kobolds or giant rats and some other small feral humanoid?

How about some sort of small woodland tauric that the lower half is either squirrel or raccoon?

Going up a step from there, a woodland tauric that has a badger lower half could be a bit of a challenge.
sleyvas Posted - 18 May 2018 : 12:57:04
actually, what someone said earlier... dingo... from what was describe above this sounds like a tauric rat folk. They have "rat tails"/"four-footed doglike bodies/"scrawny humanoid torso". So, what about a small tauric created by joining giant rats and kobolds or giant rats and some other small feral humanoid?
Lord Karsus Posted - 18 May 2018 : 01:00:04
-"Secrets of Blood, Spirits of the Sea", by Elaine Cunningham.

Ka'Narlist experimented on them back in the day. They existed back before the Sundering, in the area that is now the Shaar.

"They were nasty, odorous, rat-tailed creatures-ugly things with four-footed, doglike bodies that were topped with scrawny humanoid torsos and sly, bug-eyed faces. Gray of skin and of soul, they seemed to possess neither conscience nor ambition. Kodingobolds lived solely on whatever they could steal. They were cowards who fought only if they greatly outmassed and outnumbered their prey. And they had a particularly fondness for the flesh of young wemics. In years past, many an adventurous and wandering wemic cub had fallen prey to the disorderly packs of kodingobolds that ranged the savannah."

-In the lore of a lot of other fantasy worlds (and I think earlier editions of D&D too), kobolds are more canine than reptilian. To rectify and make sense of all of that, I have always just assumed that kodingobolds are the canine version, while "regular" kobolds are the reptilian ones.
Seethyr Posted - 17 May 2018 : 19:28:49
Realms of the Arcane!

Now to reread it.
Seethyr Posted - 17 May 2018 : 19:26:02
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Back when kobolds were more doglike in the 2e era, this ko-dingo-bold could definately be like a more desert roaming kobold subspecies from Osse. This is based on no lore I can recount though.

The book is on the tip of my brain - I promise it’s out there somewhere and I’m sure one of the sages will remember!

It was a compilation short story novel for certain. I read it once when I was in middle school (so now I’m researching FR novels from those years).
Bladewind Posted - 17 May 2018 : 18:06:20
Back when kobolds were more doglike in the 2e era, this ko-dingo-bold could definately be like a more desert roaming kobold subspecies from Osse. This is based on no lore I can recount though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000