Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Moonshaes lore and heraldry

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ElfBane Posted - 05 May 2018 : 17:03:49
Sages,
I am looking for lore involving the Moonshaes in general, and Gwynneth in particular.
Was there ever a Moonshaes banner/flag? Was there a coat-of-arms that represented the High Kingdom?
And any lore on the individual Heraldry of the Moonshaes would be nice.

Thank you in advance, honored Maesters and ArchMaesters.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 14:54:24
Seeker ElfBane,

Dungeon #196 had, "Backdrop: Moonshae Isles" you could check into.

I felt that the Moonshae's were a nice reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the Realms. For example, when you look at the levels of the characters involved in the novels (and creatures), they were surprisingly average. Which was frankly nice. Everything wasn't some insanely powerful thing on a Karsus level.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Sages,
I am looking for lore involving the Moonshaes in general, and Gwynneth in particular.
Was there ever a Moonshaes banner/flag? Was there a coat-of-arms that represented the High Kingdom?
And any lore on the individual Heraldry of the Moonshaes would be nice.

Thank you in advance, honored Maesters and ArchMaesters.

Lord Karsus Posted - 10 May 2018 : 18:16:16
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I wasn't a huge fan of the Moonshae books, myself, though that was mainly the writing style.

-It's been a long, long time, but I remember not really liking it too much either because it felt too "basic" (and, admittedly, when I read it in like 2005 or whenever, like 20 years of D&D had passed, so a lot had changed). It was like a perfectly formed basic D&D party, which has always bugged me, even in other novels.
Brian R. James Posted - 10 May 2018 : 17:16:51
quote:

Was there ever a Moonshaes banner/flag? Was there a coat-of-arms that represented the High Kingdom? And any lore on the individual Heraldry of the Moonshaes would be nice.

The symbol of the unified kingdoms of the Ffolk is a black banner emblazoned with a silver bear, "the Great Bear".

Each noble house also has their own standard. The Kendrick house, for example, is symbolized by a wolf's head banner "The Lone Wolf".
Gary Dallison Posted - 09 May 2018 : 11:38:41
I'm pretty sure I lifted that straight out of GHoTR. I always try never to directly contradict canon (reinterpreting is allowed). So if callidyrr was born 161 DR and cymrych was born 171 DR then I will try to keep that so as not to contradict anything (and thereby make what I've written less useful to peiple).

The easiest explanation I can think of is that cymrych is not callidyrr's son but was in fact secretly sired by another relative on callidyrr's much older wife. Cheating spouses is not uncommon in real world, it happened to kings in the real world so why not in FR which has a different non Christian morality.

It does open up the possibility for much speculation as to who cymrych hugh's true father is.
ElfBane Posted - 09 May 2018 : 10:55:25
Dazzerdal,
In the FRAD#8 you have this;

Hugh Dynasty of Corwell
Callidyrr: Born 161 DR, Reigned 177/193, Son of Ebenfar nobility; united the kingdom of Corwell following civil war; slain by trolls.
HK Cymrych: Born 171 DR, Reigned 193/250*, First son of Callidyrr; died of wounds suffered years earlier in combat against Kazgoroth.
Christopher Riker: [R] Born 174 DR, Regent [201/250], Champion of Cymrych Hugh; named regent of Corwell in 201; died in 256.
Cedric Riker: [R] Born 198 DR, Regent [250/272], Son of Regent Christopher Riker of Cantrev Koart.

It shows Callidyrr as born in 161, and siring Cymrych 171. While not completely impossible for this to happen, I think maybe you should back up Callidyrr’s birth by 5 or 10 years. Just a suggestion.
BenN Posted - 09 May 2018 : 01:03:02
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I wasn't a huge fan of the Moonshae books, myself, though that was mainly the writing style. I do recommend them though if you are looking for info on the Moonshae Isles. There is a 4e book, Rose of Sarifel, but I would avoid that one. It's very strange, and I wouldn't really consider it canon, even though it was set in FR.

I liked both series of Moonshae books, mostly for the locale descriptions & background lore; compared to later FR novels, the characterization was pretty poor.

I agree with you 100% about Rose of Sarifal; that is far away the worst FR novel that I've read.

I'd like to see new novels set in the Moonshaes; there are some interesting 5e updates mentioned in the SCAG which could be good starting plot points. I've been developing a story set in Gwynneth and Alaron, but its a question of getting around to actually writing it.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 May 2018 : 22:43:02
I wasn't a huge fan of the Moonshae books, myself, though that was mainly the writing style. I do recommend them though if you are looking for info on the Moonshae Isles. There is a 4e book, Rose of Sarifel, but I would avoid that one. It's very strange, and I wouldn't really consider it canon, even though it was set in FR.
Gary Dallison Posted - 08 May 2018 : 20:40:55
Some of the dynasties are lifted from Grand History of the Realms, the rest I made up based on the few historic details available for the setting and the individual feel I wanted for each island.

I had a long hard look at methods of succession before deciding upon the tribal elective succession for Alaron/Gwynneth which later changed to be hereditary (based upon the events in the far history of the moonshaes).
ElfBane Posted - 08 May 2018 : 19:14:41
Dazzlerdal, in FRAD #8, the article "The Dynasties of the Ffolk" on pg.25; are those dynasties all canon? Thanx.
Barastir Posted - 08 May 2018 : 11:25:53
My opinion is that the first trilogy is very good... But you must consider it was the first Realms novel, and that the Moonshaes are almost a world apart from the rest of the Realms (which they are, since they were shoehorned into the Realms). As for my personal opinion, it is better than the second trilogy, so if Wooly is right, I'm with the majority, here.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2018 : 09:34:51
quote:

Wooly,do you have any opinions on the various FR novels that are Moonshaes related?

I wasn't a fan of the first Moonshae trilogy, though the second is pretty good.

My opinion on that first trilogy, though, puts me in a minority, here. It's not the first time my opinion of novels has diverged from the general consensus, here. My opinion is not to be used as a reliable guide.
ElfBane Posted - 07 May 2018 : 09:32:20
Wooly,do you have any opinions on the various FR novels that are Moonshaes related?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2018 : 01:50:16
quote:

There is a online sourcebook, is this what you're talking about?
http://scratch.heretical.net/Turning-Sourcebook-Moonshaes.htm
And the Halls of the High King is available at the DM Guild! Kool!

My mistake; it's a 1E book, but it's also available from DriveThruRPG/DM's Guild.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/16803/FR2-Moonshae-1e
ElfBane Posted - 06 May 2018 : 22:41:04
There is a online sourcebook, is this what you're talking about?
http://scratch.heretical.net/Turning-Sourcebook-Moonshaes.htm
And the Halls of the High King is available at the DM Guild! Kool!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 May 2018 : 21:40:42
There was a 2E sourcebook on the Moonshaes; I assume you're familiar with it?

There was also an adventure module with a lot of extra Moonshae material, Halls of the High King.
ElfBane Posted - 05 May 2018 : 18:38:47
I PM'd you my email.
Gary Dallison Posted - 05 May 2018 : 17:34:23
I did some work in the moonshaes a long time ago. Most of its homebrew but almost all of it is based on canon. It's of mixed quality if I'm honest, in still trying to find a style in happy with, I don't recall if I found any heraldry but I did attempt to iron out a few inconsistencies in the lore. The work is in my signature or if you give me an email address I will send you a copy.

Otherwise your best sources are the moonshaes sourcebooks, a few mentions in prayers from the faithful and the master and a bit of scattered lore in some sword coast sourcebooks as well as the treasure hunt adventure and the halls of the high king adventure.

I tried to keep to a Celtic feel and make it a frontier place with fey creatures and powerful natural forces. But to be honest if I ever revisit the region I might not do the same thing again

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000