Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any notable 'child warriors' in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mastermustard Posted - 30 Apr 2018 : 02:20:25
In our world, children have often had to become adults long before they turned 18, due to circumstances like local/regional culture, the loss of their parents, or simply having parents who were too busy trying to survive to coddle them.

I would imagine in a dangerous and unforgiving world like the Realms, this would realistically be even more common, but I don't remember reading any material where it has actually happened.

Is it just assumed that children couldn't learn to fight for their survival or accept the harsh realities of living alone the Realms?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Barastir Posted - 02 May 2018 : 20:33:55
It seems the problem extends not only to warriors, but to adventures in general. As for a prodigy boy in Waterdeep.
mastermustard Posted - 02 May 2018 : 14:56:52
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Is the Forgotten Realms similar to the the culture of Medieval Europe/Asia in the way that a 16 or 17 year old boy is essentially a "man" when he can already pick up a sword and kill an Orc? Or are we sticking to the manhood officially starts at 18 years old viewpoint?

Alexander the Great was already conquering city-states when he was a teenager. Genghis Khan was already seen by his kinsmen as a "man-warrior" when he murdered (strangled) his own half-brother (who was attempting to take control of Genghis's father's tribe).

I'd personally go with the old fashioned "medieval" interpretation of manhood. If a teenager can pick up a sword and kill an Orc, or disembowel a Gnoll that is raiding his village, then that child is officially a man, no longer a boy.

The majority of shounen manga protagonists are in their early teens, and have been since shounen manga has existed (it's why they call it Boy Manga). Most genin in Naruto, for instance, were basically child soldiers and the manga wasn't shy about showing them murdering others or being murdered themselves to move the plot forward.

I think the "you have to be 18 before you're trusted with a blade" mindset is a relic of 20th century American culture influencing fiction more than anything, since modern American fantasy doesn't coddle nearly to the same extent(Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, etc).

In a setting that gets as dark as the Realms does, it just isn't realistic that everyone has a happy comfy childhood, then suddenly they're ready to kill orcs when they hit 18.

So yeah, I'd assume it would be more along the lines of medieval Europe behind the scenes, but like TBeholder said, putting people under a certain age in danger, in the published material anyway, is an ethical issue that Wizards doesn't want to mess with.
Barastir Posted - 02 May 2018 : 13:44:22
In the AD&D 2e Player's Handbook the human starting age is 15 + 1d4 (16-19) years. The book also says that "Human characters can start at any age that is agreeable to both the player and the DM. However, all beginning adventurers are assumed to be at least 16 years old, since they must grow physically, emotionally, and in practical experience before they are ready to undertake the rigors of an adventuring life." There is a table for the demihuman races, and I assume that the ages presented in that source would be equivalent.
moonbeast Posted - 02 May 2018 : 10:29:32

Is the Forgotten Realms similar to the the culture of Medieval Europe/Asia in the way that a 16 or 17 year old boy is essentially a "man" when he can already pick up a sword and kill an Orc? Or are we sticking to the manhood officially starts at 18 years old viewpoint?

Alexander the Great was already conquering city-states when he was a teenager. Genghis Khan was already seen by his kinsmen as a "man-warrior" when he murdered (strangled) his own half-brother (who was attempting to take control of Genghis's father's tribe).

I'd personally go with the old fashioned "medieval" interpretation of manhood. If a teenager can pick up a sword and kill an Orc, or disembowel a Gnoll that is raiding his village, then that child is officially a man, no longer a boy.

Storyteller Hero Posted - 01 May 2018 : 10:07:39
Drow children in Lolthian society learn to get used to fighting and even murdering at a tender age.

Seravin Posted - 30 Apr 2018 : 13:30:21
I think Farideh and her sister were 17 when they first starting adventuring in earnest; and Havilar was shown to already be a strong fighter.
TBeholder Posted - 30 Apr 2018 : 11:00:31
I suspect yes, but in the published materials "no, due to Code of Ettins".

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000