Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Facial hair questions: Elves and Dwarves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
moonbeast Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 04:55:51
So I take it that Male Elves (pure-blood Elves, not the Halfs) rarely grow facial hair. Is that due to cultural grooming, or do the Elves simply lack follicles in their facial areas?

None of the D&D books that I have (which is almost all of published 5E, and a few ancient books from AD&D) actually don't discuss the subject of Elven facial hair. But I've always taken my cue from the Tolkien images of Elves.

Now Half-Elves… I'd assume that the men have no problem growing a beard or mustache if they so desire, since this is from their Human heritage.

And then you have Dwarves. I'll skip the Male Dwarves, because the assumption of beards is a given. But what about the Dwarven Females?? If I recall, in certain settings (or maybe it was different fantasy games) there are portrayals of bearded females. Has this ever been supported or canon in D&D? For example, did Bruenor Battlehammer ever have a wife or did he ever court a bearded female dwarf? Maybe his mother had a beard? I don't know, since I've hardly read any of the FR paperback novels.

Clarification appreciated!

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 17 Apr 2018 : 06:24:15
Elven facial hair. Hirsute female dwarves. It's all been talked (and argued) many times before. Elves and dwarves. I usually just kept it simple, went with whatever was described in the artwork of whichever edition I was playing.

But nobody ever asks about halfling facial hair. Are they all as clean shaven as Frodo and his gang? Do unshaven halflings normally look like fluffy ewoks?

And what of orc (or half-orc) facial hair? Are they all villainously bald or does an ungroomed orc look like a scruffy rampaging viking?

Or gith facial hair? Judging by the few giths seen in artwork, they seem (as a race) to be somewhat hairless except for sporting sinister Fu Manchu variations.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 17 Apr 2018 : 02:39:31
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Elves do not have body hair (other than what is one their head). It is a racial trait.

Au contraire! This topic sprouts up from time to time (so to speak....) I found some previous discussions:

Elves and body hair
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20322

Ed & The Hooded One on elven women's 'topiary' habits:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=80

Thus why I said it is a rare occurrence lol. Elves can grow beards, but it not as common as human males, and their body hair, if present, is usually light (if not in color, then amount). what I took from THO's comment is that there are exceptions, but the "general rule" is that elves have little to no body hair. And elves often note how hairy humans are. So, even the one who do "sprout" facial or body hair, it is lighter (in quantity) than humans and dwarves.
BenN Posted - 17 Apr 2018 : 01:21:16
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Elves do not have body hair (other than what is one their head). It is a racial trait.

Au contraire! This topic sprouts up from time to time (so to speak....) I found some previous discussions:

Elves and body hair
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20322

Ed & The Hooded One on elven women's 'topiary' habits:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=80

CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Apr 2018 : 21:28:47
Elves do not have body hair (other than what is one their head). It is a racial trait. A few elves here and there may sprout beards, but it is a rare occurrence. Dwarves, however...from what I have read, both genders have facial hair.
LordofBones Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 09:56:41
Since FR blatantly steals Dwarven facial hair from Tolkien, I goes it's the same with Elves. Cirdan has a beard, but he's very, very old even for an elf.

"As they came to the gates Círdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said 'All is now ready.'"
Storyteller Hero Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 08:23:34
I imagine that regional and sub-racial differences could also affect follicle growth, much as it does for humans.

There is also the possibility of a human or half-elf ancestor passing down what could be facial hair genes to future generations of elf.

Gelcur Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 06:27:41
Dwarves Deep by Ed:
"Most dwarven females dress, walk and fight as males do, and have similar low-pitched, gruff, husky voices. Like males they naturally grow beards, and only some shave."

If I remember correctly some D&D source had female dwarves unrecognizable from male dwarves to non-dwarves. This most likely came from Tolkien's work, a note in an appendix saying something along the lines that most assumed all dwarves were male and they were born from stones because no one had ever seen a female dwarf.
sfdragon Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 06:03:47
well....

as for elven beards, what I hear is that whatever Ed Greenwood states is cannon unless published stuff says otherwise.

he has said that male FR elves do grow facial hair but they are so light you don't oft see them or some such line( been a while since I read it).

published stuff says no facial hair.... so...
Murray Leeder Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 05:18:21
There is a bearded female dwarf, FInellen, in the Moonshae Trilogy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000