Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What's the deal with Brimstone Angels??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Neo2151 Posted - 06 Apr 2018 : 17:46:23
So I'm catching up on my Realms stuff, trying to do the Sundering right and read up what I didn't get read back in the day (Twilight War, Companions of the Hall stuff, etc) before reading the Sundering continuations...

And I go looking for Brimstone Angel and the absolute cheapest price I've seen, used, is like, $60!

What's the deal? Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils is as cheap as you'd expect any other mass produced paperback to be, but it's predecessor is pretty outrageous.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 12 Aug 2020 : 02:00:29
It was heavier on the romance than some other Realms novels, but it doesn't detract from the plot, at least imho (I don't mind some romance). There is a good number of fantasy outside the Realms that has a good amount of romance in them, but, while most Realms books had some element of romance, a lot of it was more subtle and "background". YMMV, of course. Elaine Cunningham's novels tended to have more romance in them. But the Brimstone Angels had it as definitely part of the main story, along with the "big stuff" that was going on, so I think a lot of people reacted (either positively or negatively) to the series, because it was different than what they were used to seeing in Realms novels. The main protagonist was a young woman who was dealing with both "saving the world", and dealing with personal stuff.
TheIriaeban Posted - 10 Aug 2020 : 14:56:03
My wife, years ago, particularly enjoyed Elvenbane by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey. These books seem to be similar. I told my wife about these books and she has already picked up the first book in the series.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Aug 2020 : 12:49:28
Yeah, not to be sexist, but this is definitely something that a female might enjoy reading. It is kind of funny, because the dragonborn "father" seems to be all about teaching them to be warriors, living with honor, etc... In other words, things a dragonborn considers important for kids. Meanwhile, the girls are... girls... they want to talk about boys... they giggle about kissing... they wonder about what it might be like with a man, etc... One of the two is particularly girly, but at the same time so focused on being "right" that she ends up excelling at physical combat skills. I am trying to remember this through a fog of tv shows, books, movies, etc.... so I can't recall specific details too well.
TheIriaeban Posted - 09 Aug 2020 : 17:07:12
This sounds like something my wife would like reading. Thank you.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 13:20:37
To note as well, this story is a bit unusual in that there's not ONE but TWO tieflings who feature primarily, and they're sisters. Also, it delves a lot into the characterization of them and the problems that result from the stigmas of being a tiefling (as in things like fearing if anyone can love them, etc...). The two sisters are kind of presented as …. best word that comes to my mind is "sheltered"... from the real world, as they are raised by someone that isn't their father (he's a dragonborn). As others have said, going much further than that can ruin the stories, but I think what I've shared so far is enough to give you an idea of what the stories are like. I enjoyed them, but I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
Zeromaru X Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 05:01:20
quote:
Originally posted by King Libertine

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The main heroine? She is a tiefling. Her parents were tieflings. You must read the whole series to fully understand her lineage.

So were her parents humans or dwarf? Elf or gnome? A tiefling can be any humanoid with a fiendish lineage.

Sorry, I should have clarified. She is a "true" tiefling. As others have already pointed out, there is a bloodline of "purebred" tieflings now, who are different than the "halfbred" tieflings of 2e. However, that doesn't mean the 2e tieflings don't exist anymore. It's just that the new tieflings are more common in the Prime. If you want to know why, read the novels. This answer is tied to one of the major plots of the series, I cannot spoil you that.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 03:20:56
quote:

I have heard good things about this book. Although I have heard spoilers i'm not too concerned. I guess there are a few more books associated with it i must read to lessen it from being static and stand-alone. So asking for a spoiler. Is the main character a Succubus or a Erinyes (sp)? I would imagine cambions and major cambions are strictly male, so that is out. I would like a Erinye as the anti-hero. Or is she a Half-fiend? Who was the prime-material parent? Was the prime-material parent a human, a elf, a dwarf, a halfling, a gnome or some other humanoid species? Now that i think of it, a halfling half-fiend on the baatezu side would be a Baatizling. lol.

As others said, you have to read the whole series to get the story of her heritage. It's a big theme in the book. Brimstone Angels, Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils, The Adversary, Fire in the Blood, Ashes of the Tyrant, The Devil You Know. They're awesome reads, imho, and have a lot of lore.
Veylandemar Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 02:49:43
quote:

So were her parents humans or dwarf? Elf or gnome? A tiefling can be any humanoid with a fiendish lineage.
[/quote]

In Fourth Edition, Tieflings had their racial lore changed so that they were their own full-blooded race that would breed true.
This came about through certain story elements that are touched on by the series in later books, but basically came of Asmodeus' ascension to godhood after the Year of Blue Fire.
All Tieflings born after his ascension were tied to Asmodeus and shared a similar appearance, mostly gone were the tieflings who could pass for human in favor of chonky-tailed, red or purple skinned beings with protruding brow horns.

It was a significant diversion from the lore established by 2nd Edition and Planescape where anyone with a touch of the Lower Planes in their bloodline going back two generations could be a tiefling. It also did away with the different backgrounds - Tanar'ric, Obyrithic, Baatezu, Yugoloth, Hordeling, etc - by tying every new tiefling to Asmodeus taint and setting him up as something of a racial patron.

Personally, I didn't like the Fourth Edition lore changes, planar cosmology shake-up or funnily enough, even the ruleset, but I *DO* recommend Erin M. Evans' Brimstone Angels series wholeheartedly.
They're a great and fun read with wonderful characters, deep storylines and an abundance of Realmslore.

~V
King Libertine Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 00:27:16
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The main heroine? She is a tiefling. Her parents were tieflings. You must read the whole series to fully understand her lineage.

Zeromaru X Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 00:12:03
King Libertine Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 00:01:58
I have heard good things about this book. Although I have heard spoilers i'm not too concerned. I guess there are a few more books associated with it i must read to lessen it from being static and stand-alone. So asking for a spoiler. Is the main character a Succubus or a Erinyes (sp)? I would imagine cambions and major cambions are strictly male, so that is out. I would like a Erinye as the anti-hero. Or is she a Half-fiend? Who was the prime-material parent? Was the prime-material parent a human, a elf, a dwarf, a halfling, a gnome or some other humanoid species? Now that i think of it, a halfling half-fiend on the baatezu side would be a Baatizling. lol.
sleyvas Posted - 14 May 2018 : 01:35:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd also been having a hard time finding the third book of the Blades of the Moonsea, until I found the entire trilogy on eBay a couple weeks ago, for just $15, including shipping.

Hmm, I never read it, but I just saw that one over at a used book store (Beckham's Books) in the New Orleans French Quarter about 2 hours ago. It was the hardback. I didn't pick it up because I've got a boatload of books piled up already, and I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first one.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 May 2018 : 22:55:22
I'd also been having a hard time finding the third book of the Blades of the Moonsea, until I found the entire trilogy on eBay a couple weeks ago, for just $15, including shipping.
Firestorm Posted - 13 May 2018 : 22:34:10
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

"(Neverwinter Nights)"
Supply vs. Demand theory leads to suspicion that while the obsessive collectors want to grab the first book this much, very few of those who did not buy it and of those who did want to read #2 of the series.

There's other Realms series that don't follow that pattern, though. I've had a hard time finding book 3 of one trilogy, and for the 5 books of the Brotherhood of the Griffon series, it's book 3 or 4 that's really hard to find.

Strangely, I saw several copies of those two BOTG books at my local chapters last week. Maybe I should scoop them up
Varl Posted - 23 Apr 2018 : 15:21:00
If the publishing run was so small, ebooks might be all we have available to readers late on the scene, like me. I certainly refuse to buy BA #1 for $3200.
Gyor Posted - 13 Apr 2018 : 14:01:04
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

So I'm catching up on my Realms stuff, trying to do the Sundering right and read up what I didn't get read back in the day (Twilight War, Companions of the Hall stuff, etc) before reading the Sundering continuations...

And I go looking for Brimstone Angel and the absolute cheapest price I've seen, used, is like, $60!

What's the deal? Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils is as cheap as you'd expect any other mass produced paperback to be, but it's predecessor is pretty outrageous.

Buy the Ebook.
Caolin Posted - 09 Apr 2018 : 21:37:47
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Where are you looking? I found it in paperback on Amazon for $7

https://www.amazon.com/Brimstone-Angels-Lesser-Forgotten-Realms/dp/078696376X/ref=tmm_mmp_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

That's Lesser Evils. Like I said, you can find that one at reasonable prices.
Here's the one I'm after:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0786958464/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523036460&sr=1-1&keywords=Brimstone+Angels

Oh sorry, I read the last sentence wrong.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2018 : 18:19:40
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

eBooks are your friend :)

Unless you've a strong preference for dead-tree format.
Seravin Posted - 07 Apr 2018 : 17:45:08
eBooks are your friend :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2018 : 15:10:00
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

"(Neverwinter Nights)"
Supply vs. Demand theory leads to suspicion that while the obsessive collectors want to grab the first book this much, very few of those who did not buy it and of those who did want to read #2 of the series.

There's other Realms series that don't follow that pattern, though. I've had a hard time finding book 3 of one trilogy, and for the 5 books of the Brotherhood of the Griffon series, it's book 3 or 4 that's really hard to find.
TBeholder Posted - 07 Apr 2018 : 04:29:32
"(Neverwinter Nights)"
Neo2151 Posted - 06 Apr 2018 : 18:41:20
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

https://www.amazon.com/Brimstone-Angels-Lesser-Forgotten-Realms/dp/078696376X/ref=tmm_mmp_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

That's Lesser Evils. Like I said, you can find that one at reasonable prices.
Here's the one I'm after:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0786958464/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523036460&sr=1-1&keywords=Brimstone+Angels
Caolin Posted - 06 Apr 2018 : 18:15:16

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Apr 2018 : 17:49:18
I suspect a smaller publishing run.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000