Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sea Elves and other aquatic races.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 04:06:43
We know Sea Elves will be MTOF and I've been looking for info on them and other aquatic races, especially Tritons (VGTM) and Water Genasi (EE) which are already playable races.

I know Sea Elves are divided in 3 basic subraces, Sea of Fallen Stars (Green with brown spots), Great Sea (Blue skin), and Marel (Evil Sea Elves of the Moonsea, pale skin and glowing eyes), worship Umberlee).

For Tritons I've found that worship Persana a God of Tritons, Archecture, and Guardianship, that despite the theocracy nature of Triton Society, seems missing in 5e. They also seem to have two cities, and many live in Myth Nentir with the Sea Elves, Sharlin, Merfolk, and Mokloths.

Not much is known about the Sea Elf Kingdoms of the Great Sea. the Sea Elves alone the Sword Coast, likely if the Great Sea subrace, are nomadic. The ones around Evermeet have their own King and Kingdom. I'm not sure as for the Sea of Fallen Stars beyond Myth Nentar and the Lake Solcolme (misspelled I know) colony. The Marel were cursed for not helping a human city, they are scary.

Merfolk worship Eadro (who is in 5e although merfolk ironically aren't playable) as do Morkloths (also unplayable), Sea Elves worship Deep Sashlees, and to a lesser extent Corellon and the rest of the Seldarine, except Marel who worship Umberlee.

Sharlin worship Tristina, who so far appears not to have made an appearance in 5e.

This is largely prep for MTOFs.

27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TomCosta Posted - 24 Mar 2018 : 14:40:41
I actually like the new origin for merrow. IMHO, it has a bit more flavor than just saying Vaprak decided to do a little adventurism in the sea.

But back to the original question, Sea of Fallen Stars and probably Deep Sashelas' entry in Demihuman Deities are your best bet for FR specific lore, but a lot of it is buried in the history o the former source.
AuldDragon Posted - 22 Mar 2018 : 21:34:25
quote:
Originally posted by Bragi

Ogres worship Vaprak but Merrow worship Panzuriel according to Dragon Magazine 343. There is mention in Demihuman Deities under Deep Sashelas that his enemies include Panzuriel and Demogorgon. I would have preferred if they would have used Panzuriel instead of Demogorgon but I can see where they were coming from. Sea of Fallen Stars mentions that the sea elves fear the Merrow due to their physical strength but what if the sea elves have a deeper secret that they are hiding and their fear stems from the origin of the race itself.

I think that they were trying to get away from having undersea races simply as alternate versions of land-dwelling races.

That doesn't mean merrow have no connection to Vaprak. Panzuriel isn't a creative deity, and his favored followers are kraken. Panzuriel is, more than anything, a usurper deity, who tries to find followers within any evil aquatic race. Vaprak should still be, at least, the original god of the merrow and scrags.

Jeff
Bragi Posted - 21 Mar 2018 : 19:55:49
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Why in the hell did they f*ck with the origin of the merrow? There was a perfectly acceptable answer. They're sea ogres. Ogres came from Vaprak. Why does it have to involve Demogorgon and the abyss?

Ogres worship Vaprak but Merrow worship Panzuriel according to Dragon Magazine 343. There is mention in Demihuman Deities under Deep Sashelas that his enemies include Panzuriel and Demogorgon. I would have preferred if they would have used Panzuriel instead of Demogorgon but I can see where they were coming from. Sea of Fallen Stars mentions that the sea elves fear the Merrow due to their physical strength but what if the sea elves have a deeper secret that they are hiding and their fear stems from the origin of the race itself.

I think that they were trying to get away from having undersea races simply as alternate versions of land-dwelling races.
sleyvas Posted - 20 Mar 2018 : 10:30:14
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Marrow in 5e aren't fiends, they are large Monstrosities. They we're merfolk trapped in the abyss that got transformed by their horrifying time there into Marrow by Demigorgon. This is from the MM and that doesn't mean its for FR.

Why in the hell did they f*ck with the origin of the merrow? There was a perfectly acceptable answer. They're sea ogres. Ogres came from Vaprak. Why does it have to involve Demogorgon and the abyss?
Bragi Posted - 20 Mar 2018 : 01:12:59
My current campaign has my group exploring the sea elf ruins of Coryselmal. I spent way too much time generating random monster encounters for the ruins. Most of the lore in Sea of Fallen Stars is useful but it takes some parsing. I've re-read it several times and each time I find something that I missed before. I also came up with a table for all of the rulers of Aryselmalyr. There were cannon sources for around 12 of them and the rest I filled in. I believe I ended up with 70+ over the lifespan of the country.
Gyor Posted - 16 Mar 2018 : 04:01:01
Marrow in 5e aren't fiends, they are large Monstrosities. They we're merfolk trapped in the abyss that got transformed by their horrifying time there into Marrow by Demigorgon. This is from the MM and that doesn't mean its for FR.
Markustay Posted - 16 Mar 2018 : 01:30:14
Followers of Dagon... that could work!

My thoughts ATM are that there are really two types of Merrow, and one is an offshoot of the other (fiendish bloodline 'triggered' by the Spellplague). I did something similar with Wargs when they turned them into lizard-puppies.

All things are reconcilable, but when you have to spend more time 'fixing' the game than playing it, that's not a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Hey we had a Succubus Paladin, Eludecia. So all things should be possible.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a

Risen fiends are nothing new. Planescape had a celestial and his succubus lover on the run because he'd gotten her pregnant. Wee Jas has a Lawful Neutral succubus as a servant.

Funny you should brings this up - I think there really is just one 'Seraph' type Celestial, and depending on their alignment and which group they are working for, they are called by different names (and they also 'take on' the aspect of whichever way they are going... wasn't there a video game like that? Found it - it was called Fable).

So basically, Valkyries, angels, 'Air Maidens' (Finnish), Succubi, Erynies, etc, etc... are really just all one big group that split-up after the Dawn War (most took all different sides, which is how the groups are considered now). However, unless rapidly triggered by some unusual event or source of power (relic, artifact, wild magic surge, etc.), the changes happen slowly over time (unlike the video game), so it could take thousands of years for an 'angel' to start looking a little succubi. So you can have an 'off' week, or an off year, or maybe even an off century - ya know, where you are just in a bad mood and decide to pull the arms off mortals - but it wouldn't change your appearance fast enough. These beings are immortal, and thus, change s-l-o-w-l-y, both inwardly and outwardly.

So if you are an Archon and you go to sleep next to your buddy, you don't have to worry about him looking like a Pit Fiend overnight... even if he had some really nasty thoughts in his sleep (yeah... I know... they probably don't sleep... just roll with it).

Also, just like with gods (or any other 'spirit being' for that matter), gender is a matter of preference. They can appear however they want (and this was canon for gods and succubi/incubi anyway). Just my personal take on this stuff, though.

EDIT:
So that kid should have been born by now... Little Nicky?
Markustay Posted - 16 Mar 2018 : 00:57:59
The mountain is literally shown on the maps in the Twilight Giants trilogy. Its in north-eastern Hartsvale. If you extrapolate the maps outward (as I did), and play with them just a bit, there is a HUGE inlet/bay (sound/gulf?) ABOVE Icewind dale that cuts deep into the Icefield/Glacier/Polar cap there, and if that is the 'Endless Ice sea' shown on the TG trilogy maps, then maybe it is sort-of close (plus, a LOT could have changed in 36K+ years... in the short story Othea was dangling her feet in the sea when Annam caught her with Ulutiu... who lept into that sea and tried to get away. That would be where the Great Glacier is now (and Ed has confirmed to me that the Great Ice Sea - Yal Tengri - used to connect to the sea above Icewind Dale, so there is a 'Northwest Passage' thing going on there, which tends to freeze-over and un-freeze in very long cycles (like maybe every millennia or so).

Thus, that very large mountain range in the center of the Great Glacier (which I used to think was Ulutiu under there) was probably an island at one point sitting in a vast, northern sea, until Annam got ticked-off. The glacier has been slowly receding - Vaasa is only 'a couple hundred years old".

EDIT:
The Maps

Its 'Twilight Tor'. Its a split peak, and it may have just represented her breast (not sure if I am remembering that, or I just figured that - it was a LONG time ago I read those). There WAS a reason it was split (it had something to do with the main plot and why the titan was stuck there). Sorry about Photobucket; I don't use that site anymore, but I had already posted it there years ago, so rather then repost it somewhere else...
Storyteller Hero Posted - 15 Mar 2018 : 18:10:10
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

So would Merrow be followers of Dagon now?

From a lore standpoint, it makes me wonder WHERE is the mountain(s) that Othea represents and are they bordering the ocean, with the ocean periodically flowing into them. I see something about an Othea Tor on the Wiki, but I've never fully read the twilight giants trilogy. Maybe this is representative.

If Othea is represented by a mountain connected to an ocean flow, then the mountain could represent her womb, and the flow could be coming out, not in, as she is after all the mother of giants.

sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2018 : 11:12:35
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

You know what... when I look at the original picture of Vaprak, god of trolls and ogres.... he looks to me more of a merrow than anything. Maybe a skinny merrow, but he is the father of the troll race too. Given that there's also a race of scrags (or sea trolls) too, I wouldn't be surprised if the troll and ogre races actually started in the sea and expanded to the land (or maybe since Othea is land-based, some took after her, so when she gave birth it was to both sea and land versions of each). Makes me half wonder if Vaprak isn't a sea power (which would be kind of interesting since so was Ulutiu).

From a lore standpoint, it makes me wonder WHERE is the mountain(s) that Othea represents and are they bordering the ocean, with the ocean periodically flowing into them. I see something about an Othea Tor on the Wiki, but I've never fully read the twilight giants trilogy. Maybe this is representative.
Shadowsoul Posted - 15 Mar 2018 : 09:23:14
Shadowsoul Posted - 15 Mar 2018 : 09:21:34
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Where do the Merrow fit in?

The merrow have never been playable, but it would be interesting.

I now need to name a tavern/Inn somewhere 'The Merry Merrow'. There would, of course, be a story about a 'nice' merrow involved.

I see they changed Merrow to fiends in 5e... I guess not all the "lets make this old and known thing something else" attitude of 4e didn't completely die.

I'm not totally against this one, though - they were rather redundant with tons of other ebil sea races (like scrags). Its just going to be harder to spin the 'Merry Merrow' using a fiend.

Merrow are fiends now????? Of course you will have the usual group saying this makes plenty of sense.
LordofBones Posted - 15 Mar 2018 : 01:04:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Risen fiends are nothing new. Planescape had a celestial and his succubus lover on the run because he'd gotten her pregnant. Wee Jas has a Lawful Neutral succubus as a servant.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Mar 2018 : 23:05:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

I now need to name a tavern/Inn somewhere 'The Merry Merrow'. There would, of course, be a story about a 'nice' merrow involved.

I see they changed Merrow to fiends in 5e... I guess not all the "lets make this old and known thing something else" attitude of 4e didn't completely die.

I'm not totally against this one, though - they were rather redundant with tons of other ebil sea races (like scrags). Its just going to be harder to spin the 'Merry Merrow' using a fiend.

No, you must change it to the "Merry Married Merrow" then have him running a dockside tavern with his beautiful "looking" sea hag wife.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Mar 2018 : 22:21:44

Markustay Posted - 14 Mar 2018 : 20:47:32
quote:

quote:

Lord Karsus Posted - 13 Mar 2018 : 22:56:05
quote:

Because the Sea Elves in the Inner sea have to deal with brackish waters and also some go as far as the Moonsea (which IS Fresh Water), I would hazard to guess their different coloration is related to their ability to breath both salt and fresh water (not a direct connection - more like a 'racial thing'). In other words, we know some groups of sea Elves can deal with both types of water (as can most fantasy water races... because designers can't be bothered with keeping track of actual science), so perhaps the 'Deep Sea' Elves of the great and Trackless Oceans are salt-water only? Nothing canon, mind you - I just think it might be an interesting spin on things.

-A lot of fish are salt/freshwater, yeah, but I'd think that guys like Aquatic Elves, Triton, etc. have a bit more capable lungs. We can fresh air, polluted air, air with low oxygen content, pure oxygen...I'd assume that fresh and salt would be similar to those aquatic races. I do remember seeing rules in some book giving rules for penalizing freshwater creatures in salt water and vice versa, but I couldn't tell you where, or even what edition.
Gyor Posted - 13 Mar 2018 : 14:41:26
quote:

Gyor Posted - 13 Mar 2018 : 14:28:08
quote:

moonbeast Posted - 13 Mar 2018 : 01:25:50
Gyor Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 23:42:06
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13708
Gyor Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 23:37:51
Oops, didn't mean to mix them up.
Hoondatha Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 22:34:30
I don't think that works, since we know that Outer Sea elves can also breathe air (Arilyn had a half-sea elf friend, and comments that that sea elf parent can breathe air long enough "to make it interesting." (Danilo's phrasing)

Personally, I've never gotten the idea of green sea elves in my head. To me, all sea elves are blue.
Markustay Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 22:29:49
Because the Sea Elves in the Inner sea have to deal with brackish waters and also some go as far as the Moonsea (which IS Fresh Water), I would hazard to guess their different coloration is related to their ability to breath both salt and fresh water (not a direct connection - more like a 'racial thing'). In other words, we know some groups of sea Elves can deal with both types of water (as can most fantasy water races... because designers can't be bothered with keeping track of actual science), so perhaps the 'Deep Sea' Elves of the great and Trackless Oceans are salt-water only? Nothing canon, mind you - I just think it might be an interesting spin on things.

I believe DL (Krynn) has the fresh and salt water types completely separate (KUDOS for them!), and have different names for the two groups.
Hoondatha Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 22:09:11
You have the sea elf skin coloring backwards, at least according to Sea of Fallen Swords, which I consider the definitive work on undersea creatures. SoFS sea elves are blue with white patches (rarely ivory white with blue highlights), and Outer Sea elves are green.

Krash, thanks for the Ed article. I'll go take a look at that. I play more in the SoFS than the Outer Sea, but it's still good to read.
Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 13:11:16
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes...
George Krashos Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 12:52:28
What is MTOF? Ed had an article in Dragon #267 that provided some information on some minor sea elven realms of the Sea of Swords

— George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000