Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elvish dictionary in alphabetical order?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Feb 2018 : 05:37:26
I'm trying to decipher the words from elvish to English.

I want to write "Book of Shadow Mastery"

Or tel'kiira of shadow mastery.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 11 Mar 2018 : 06:05:14
-All of the Lythari words and phrases from Mark Sehestedt's stuff, I always denoted as "Eastern Lythari", distinct from the regular dialect of Lythari and the rest of Elven given that they were presented as a completely distinct culture, having very little connection to Elves elsewhere. Same with the eastern Elves of al-Qahera, but I really don't remember if any terminology was shared in that book, now that I think about it.
George Krashos Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 05:25:58
The problem with the Elvish tongue in the Realms is that you have three prime sources: the Cormanthyr/Fall of Myth Drannor sourcebooks by Steven Schend, Ed's lore and material from the fiction line. Some of the fiction material is very Earth-derivative (such as the work of Mark Sehestedt - Frostfell, etc: he used American Indian languages as his baseline; go figure ... ) while the stuff of Rich Baker (Last Mythal series) and Keith Strohm (Bladesinger) isn't too difficult to blend in. It's not what I would describe as a cohesive whole though.

-- George Krashos
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 02:21:20
-It's all canon (novels, sourcebooks, WotC online articles, author threads) or derived from extrapolating specific words from canon phrases, but it's also way out of date; The WotC forum one was a little more recent (but that's dead), and the one here is probably about ten years or so out of date.
TBeholder Posted - 09 Mar 2018 : 19:09:06
There's "Elven Dictionary", but it has no sources marked (some entries certainly come from Ed's answers, others may be from Dragon, who knows?) and falls under the single most fangirled-upon subject in the whole genre of fantasy, so the quality of each specific entry is unknown.
"Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms" has sources, but with little Elvish and the collection was not updated much.
George Krashos Posted - 02 Mar 2018 : 07:33:32
Yeah sure. Of course, if it is something unique you might actually give it a name - which doesn't necessarily need to be translatable. Like "the Atharamon, the Shadow Gem of Sharlarion" or somesuch.

-- George Krashos
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 20:52:54
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You are welcome.

I did do a further edit which doesn't appear to have gone through.

You would substitute "kiir" (gem) instead of "tel'kiira" as the latter is a lore gem and a very different thing to a normal gem stone, even if it was enspelled.

-- George Krashos

Actually, I am going for a High Lore gem, made in the very ancient elven city of Sharlarion by the High priest of Erevan in that city. So I'm thinking of calling it Rilan'vae Selu-Kiira. Does that work??
George Krashos Posted - 28 Feb 2018 : 23:17:05
You are welcome.

I did do a further edit which doesn't appear to have gone through.

You would substitute "kiir" (gem) instead of "tel'kiira" as the latter is a lore gem and a very different thing to a normal gem stone, even if it was enspelled.

-- George Krashos
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Feb 2018 : 19:26:45
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Shadow is "n'vae" (i.e. not light). Ed has told me that book is "antath". I don't have a word for "mastery". Let's use a suitably sounding word: how about: "rilae" - with "rilahr" being master). Oh, and I use "os" for of.

So "book of shadow mastery" might be "antathos rilan'vae" or "anatathos n'vaerilae" or, well, you get the idea. Same goes with a the gem of shaow mastery. Just substitute "tel'kiira" for "anthathos".

-- George Krashos

Thank you so very much Krashos.
George Krashos Posted - 28 Feb 2018 : 17:50:26
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Shadow is "n'vae" (i.e. not light). Ed has told me that book is "antath". I don't have a word for "mastery". Let's use a suitably sounding word: how about: "rilae" - with "rilahr" being master). Oh, and I use "os" for of.

So "book of shadow mastery" might be "antathos rilan'vae" or "anatathos n'vaerilae" or, well, you get the idea. Same goes with a the gem of shadow mastery. Just substitute "tel'kiira" for "antathos".

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000