Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Which to read first...?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dast9 Posted - 26 Feb 2018 : 15:23:55

I am slowly reading my way through the FR library and was wondering which to read first, "The Harpers" series or the "Songs and Swords" series? Since S&S is contained w/in the Harpers, I'm thinking that's the way to go. But do I miss anything, i.e. the details in the intervening novels, if I read S&S separately?

Thanks!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Red Walker Posted - 11 Mar 2018 : 00:00:41
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

As anyone who's read my responses to other such questions can attest I am hugely in favor of the Harpers series, and Elaines SOS contribution

Today I opened up Spellfire for the first time since the 90s...

It really is hard to believe how perfect the first chapter of that novel is all these years later as an introduction to the Forgotten Realms... The main character and the reader are one and the same - straining to see the wider Realms for the first time but tied down to more mundane tasks of life. Left only with yearning and imagination and secondhand tales of the adventures that lie beyond.

The book will also introduce you to other major Realms characters: Storm Silverhand, The Knights of Myth Drannor, Elminster, Manshoon, The Cult of the Dragon, etc. All this makes Spellfire my new go to answer for the question "which FR novel should I read first."

So, while neither Harpers nor Songs and Swords I recommend you turn and read Ed's Spellfire, and then its Harpers sequel mentioned by Wooly earlier.

Then I second the endorsements of our wise and learned scribes of Elaine's works as well as The Ring of Winter, which I've read half a dozen times and always enjoy. It is fun to note that there is an admitedly minor character in the Ring of Winter that has a lifelong tie to Danilo from Elaine's novels. Threads tying the Harpers novels together. Look for him when you read it - he's quite distinctive and so hard to miss :P

Since my novels are in storage.....who is the minke character tied to Dan?

The butler for the Stalwart Adventurers. Danilo is the reason he has the permanently devilish appearance.

Oh ho!,, I forgot all about that dude!
The Red Walker Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 23:58:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

As anyone who's read my responses to other such questions can attest I am hugely in favor of the Harpers series, and Elaines SOS contribution

It really is hard to believe how perfect the first chapter of that novel is all these years later as an introduction to the Forgotten Realms... The main character and the reader are one and the same - straining to see the wider Realms for the first time but tied down to more mundane tasks of life. Left only with yearning and imagination and secondhand tales of the adventures that lie beyond.

The book will also introduce you to other major Realms characters: Storm Silverhand, The Knights of Myth Drannor, Elminster, Manshoon, The Cult of the Dragon, etc. All this makes Spellfire my new go to answer for the question "which FR novel should I read first."

So, while neither Harpers nor Songs and Swords I recommend you turn and read Ed's Spellfire, and then its Harpers sequel mentioned by Wooly earlier.

Then I second the endorsements of our wise and learned scribes of Elaine's works as well as The Ring of Winter, which I've read half a dozen times and always enjoy. It is fun to note that there is an admitedly minor character in the Ring of Winter that has a lifelong tie to Danilo from Elaine's novels. Threads tying the Harpers novels together. Look for him when you read it - he's quite distinctive and so hard to miss :P

The butler for the Stalwart Adventurers. Danilo is the reason he has the permanently devilish appearance.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 15:39:43
quote:

quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 04:58:38
quote:

cliven Posted - 02 Mar 2018 : 16:53:36
Thanks Mage, I assumed it was a royalties dispute as well. My hope is that it will eventually sort itself out. I could have sworn that for some period of time Escape from Undermountain was the only Nobles series book available on Audible, but all six are available now. Either I got better searching, their algorithm improved, or a similar dispute was resolved.
The Masked Mage Posted - 02 Mar 2018 : 08:20:00
I can't say for sure but I assume it has to do with the nature of the contract Jean Rabe had and how it stands now.
cliven Posted - 02 Mar 2018 : 00:03:11
Hello,

I’ve been getting my D&D novel fix mostly through Audible the last several years. I’ve just gotten into the earlier stuff, and I appreciate the primer on the Harper series, since I had similar questions as those discussed in this thread.

My remaining question is in regards to Red Magic. It seems to be the only Harper novel that doesn’t have an audiobook version (at least on audible). Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 15:47:42
quote:

The Ring of Winter also has a minor connection to the Empires trilogy... You find out at the end of the book that Artus was renting a room from one of the characters in Crusade.
The Masked Mage Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 07:59:02

The Red Walker Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 00:29:42
+100 for Ring of Winter

But to reply to original question.... go with Song and Swords series first.

Arguably some of the realms best characters by arguably the Realms best Author.....the incomparable Elaine Cunningham.
The Red Walker Posted - 01 Mar 2018 : 00:29:01
+100 for Ring of Winter

But to reply to original question.... go with Song and Swords series first.

Arguably some of the realms best characters by arguably the Realms best Author.....the incomparable Elaine Cunningham.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 28 Feb 2018 : 00:08:15
Kind of what Wooly said; the Harper books are mostly stand-alones, with a few being sequels to each other, or connected to other series, such as the Finder's Stone. Despite being part of the Harpers series, Thornhold is also very much a part of S&S.
TomCosta Posted - 27 Feb 2018 : 01:44:13
Favorite FR book of all time, "The Simbul's Gift," bar none.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2018 : 17:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by dast9

I am slowly reading my way through the FR library and was wondering which to read first, "The Harpers" series or the "Songs and Swords" series? Since S&S is contained w/in the Harpers, I'm thinking that's the way to go. But do I miss anything, i.e. the details in the intervening novels, if I read S&S separately?

Thanks!

The Harpers books are, for the most part, standalone -- though there are a couple sequels to earlier books, within the series.

If you start with the Songs and Swords series, you'll not be missing anything from not having read the other Harpers novels.

There are some real gems in the Harpers books, but there are also some I tend to avoid when I feel like re-reading FR books.

My personal recommendation would be to do the Songs & Swords, first, because those are some of the best Realms books we've had.

A fave of mine from the Harpers books is book 5, The Ring of Winter.

Also, for further info...

Crown of Fire is the sequel to an originally standalone novel, Spellfire. It later became part of the Shandril's Saga trilogy

Masquerades is the sequel to the Finder's Stone trilogy, the only FR books, aside from Elaine Cunningham's stuff, that I routinely recommend.

Finder's Bane was later labeled as book 1 of the Lost Gods trilogy. The second book, Fistandantilus Reborn is a Dragonlance novel that rather much did not work for me. The third book, Tymora's Luck, returns to the authors and characters of Finder's Bane.

Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck aren't really sequels of the Finder's Stone books, but do build heavily on them. The two books can be read without reading Fistandantilus Reborn; all the second book does for the series is intro a character for the third book. And since that character is a kender, his backstory is not all that important.

All of this is my opinion, offered with the occasional attempt at being humble.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000