Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Pool of Radiance: Ranthor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 00:52:57
Looking for any Canon information about this wizard; friend of Denlor and instructor of Shal.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Feb 2018 : 06:08:02
I'm laying on certainty that he didn't create the ring or the staff.

I'd still like to think that to have any sort of notoriety at all they would both have been "Name Level" at the least. So 9th level certainly; and likely a bit higher considering the wards that were placed on Denlor's Tower.

Not an Arch-Mage for either one...especially since both were essentially killed without a great deal of effort.

I think I'm looking at the 12th or so level range.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Feb 2018 : 05:11:12
Enchant an item is 6th level, limited wish is 7th level, I'd call Ranthor 12th-14th+ magic-user based on this alone. A staff of power is powerful and complex and would definitely require 8th/9th level spells (permanency, wish, etc) to create, suggesting 16-18+ magic-user. I'm guessing Ranthor's not an archmage because he's never been described anywhere else in the Realms, although that in itself is not unusual.

Ranthor or Denlor possessed these items.
But possession doesn't strictly require the owner crafted (or was even capable of crafting) the items. Apprentice Shal certainly uses these items while lacking the experience to enchant her own.

For all we know, Ranthor (or Denlor) was an illusionist who couldn't even use the best of these items. Wouldn't it be fun to have Illusionist Ranthor (or Denlor) fake his own death, pass his apprentice an inheritance, and see how she performs on her final "test"?

I'd always childishly assumed the usual childish assumption that every wise and mighty and powerful old NPC in the Realms was retired from younger and wilder days of epic adventure ... thus a collection of all the sorts of things adventurers collect (magic, steel, castles, gold, horses, females, etc) is expected ... indeed, a conspicuous lack of these things almost suggests incompetence, lol. So Ranthor/Denlor could've earned decent levels back in the Good Old Days, no matter how stuffy and patriarchal and academic they've become since. How they must regale their poor apprentices with glorious tales of carousing and dragonslaying ... I imagine that retired adventurers are like retired fishermen, always talking tall tales about the "one which got away".
Bakra Posted - 23 Feb 2018 : 22:21:18
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Ranthor and Denlor...I believe I may make them not just friends but cousins.

I'm guessing the fella was AT LEAST a level 9 Magic-User (Wizard).

I'm leaning towards 11th, if he crafted that ring of wishes. I would have to find the novel and read it again. And they could be cousins or really close friends.
Dalor Darden Posted - 23 Feb 2018 : 21:07:17
Ranthor and Denlor...I believe I may make them not just friends but cousins.

I'm guessing the fella was AT LEAST a level 9 Magic-User (Wizard).
Bakra Posted - 23 Feb 2018 : 14:37:49
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Looking for any Canon information about this wizard; friend of Denlor and instructor of Shal.

Other than what is in the novel and a some mentions in the Forgotten Realms Atlas Ranthor is a "blank slate". Using 1st edition rules a person could probably make good guess at his level.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000