Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tallest Human

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 03:09:40
Who is the tallest human in the Forgotten Realms?
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 24 Feb 2018 : 10:50:20
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

it seems likely that some of the leaders of the Orcish kingdom may have been 'more than just orchish', and this guy could be some sort of 'throwback'. Vastar orcs did seem to be a step above the normal, northern 'mountain orcs' on some levels.

There are giants and ogres, too...
BadCatMan Posted - 20 Feb 2018 : 01:43:35
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

quote:
There was an Orc - from The Vast, IIRC, who was 15' tall. Seriously - I kid you not. I guess some orcs grow pretty damn big.

I've never encountered such a character in my Vast research, so this orc must be from someplace else.

So when one works on the FRwiki, one considers themselves 'infallible', does one not?

Completely. A post tucked away on the Candlekeep forums from nine years ago, known only to a small segment of the fandom, is not exactly easy-to-find, well-known lore. Personally, I just don't feel any compulsion to follow the comments from Ed Greenwood, when there's still so much else to cover. It's a bonus, not a necessity.

Back on topic, the Jotunbrud feat from 3e's Races of Faerûn (probably designed for such huge characters) allows for Damaran or Illuskan humans of "truly impressive stature" with descent from the giants of ancient Ostoria. Starting from 6#8242;4#8243;, a male can reach heights of 8#8242;0#8243; for a Damaran and 7#8242;8#8243; for an Illuskan, and females some inches shorter. Haldyn could well be Damaran, but he's still a foot taller at 9#8242;.
Sunderstone Posted - 19 Feb 2018 : 22:26:03
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Tall humans tend to be giant-blooded often enough that it's the suspected reason #1.
Kolmin Stagblade, Madeiron Sunderstone, Haldyn Stormkin

In the case of Kolmin and Haldyn it appears family genetics and the possibilty for some giant blood far enough back to be beyond living memmory is the reason for their heights.

For Madeiron it looks like great size and strength is a special birthright being descended from a son Annam. Since he hails from Hartsvale it's reasonable to assume their could also be other giant blood in his lineage.
Markustay Posted - 19 Feb 2018 : 19:10:06
quote:

quote:
There was an Orc - from The Vast, IIRC, who was 15' tall. Seriously - I kid you not. I guess some orcs grow pretty damn big.

I've never encountered such a character in my Vast research, so this orc must be from someplace else.
So when one works on the FRwiki, one considers themselves 'infallible', does one not?

Check Ed's 2009 thread, pg. 19
quote:
Glorundoun is that rarest of things; a shrewd schemer, a truly foresighted orc who plans years ahead, spreading rumors and founding alliances and sending the orcs he commands (a rogue band of outcasts and misfits from many tribes, including “misshapen” orcs visibly different from the norm [such as having three left arms but only one right arm, or long, prehensile tails], plus a few humans, half-orcs, and others - - who at his firm and sometimes violent insistence are treated as “full orcs” by the rest) on missions to accomplish specific tasks that will shape the opinions, deeds, and settlement locations of others.
Active in the Vast, Impiltur, and the Moonsea North, and moving about often, Glorundoun has been behind much of the “orc dangers” that imperil human mining and travel away from the Inner Sea shores; he wants to keep humans from settling, taming, and then spreading over all of the region (so as to prevent all “monsters” [such as himself] ever being crowded right out of non-frozen areas where they can forage).
Glorundoun has no interest in ruling any orc tribe or disputing with tribes, but expects other orcs to cooperate with him once they know what he’s busy doing; if they don’t, he customarily ignores chieftans and warband leaders and speaks directly to the orcs being led by them. If any orc defies him or hampers his schemes, he won’t hesitate to destroy them - - but won’t engage in open confrontation he’ll likely lose, calmly withdrawing to strike at them later.
Glorundoun enjoys eating, drinking, and sex (with partners of all races), but will never let pursuit of such enjoyments lull him into being exposed to the attacks of foes, or distracted from what’s afoot right now.
Glorundoun uses the non-orc members of his band in deceptions, so as to deal with humans and others without them (initially, at least) realizing they’re “treating with orcs,” and seizes and caches items such as weapons and tools, coins and gems, and other useful goods whenever he can, for use later. Over years of successful exploits, he’s established dozens of hidden caches that each hold enough wealth to purchase buildings in many human-dominated cities outright, as well as scores of smaller caches (if buying a building, ship, or caravan will help a scheme succeed, he’ll boldly do so).
Glorundoun himself is gigantic, standing 14 feet tall at his shoulders (which are fully six feet across), and having a flattened, “toad-like” hairless head twice as large as most orcs. His left front tusk is broken off and yellowed with decay, and several wide white scars wander across his features.
Apparently, I was wrong... he's only a mere 14' tall.

The reason why I was soley associating him with The Vast is because of the fallen kingdom of Vastar, and I believe GK and I (it may have been someone else, but usually anything Impiltur I go to Krash) were hashing this out, it seems likely that some of the leaders of the Orcish kingdom may have been 'more than just orchish', and this guy could be some sort of 'throwback'. Vastar orcs did seem to be a step above the normal, northern 'mountain orcs' on some levels.
Dalor Darden Posted - 19 Feb 2018 : 18:54:15
Glory and Splendor...should be the name of a book of ancient dwarven halls.

Back to the tallest Human thing:

My son's Paladin of Tyr just entered the ruins of the slums and isn't enjoying so much the 6 foot doorways and rooms that are too short for him to wear his plumed helm.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Feb 2018 : 18:40:33
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Dwarf: "Excuse me sir, but don't you think making tunnels and rooms sized large-enough for dragons seems like inviting catastrophe?"
Dwarf King: "Nonsense! The bigger the better! Just because the last 399 dwarf-halls fell to invading dragons doesn't mean ours will!"

One word: air.

Also, any kobold can carve a tunnel. It takes true dwarven skill and ingenuity to make the spacious halls with soaring ceilings.
TBeholder Posted - 19 Feb 2018 : 16:37:12
Tall humans tend to be giant-blooded often enough that it's the suspected reason #1.
Kolmin Stagblade, Madeiron Sunderstone, Haldyn Stormkin

quote:

Dwarf: "Excuse me sir, but don't you think making tunnels and rooms sized large-enough for dragons seems like inviting catastrophe?"
Dwarf King: "Nonsense! The bigger the better! Just because the last 399 dwarf-halls fell to invading dragons doesn't mean ours will!"

One word: air.
Ayrik Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 20:22:54
There is no logic in the Realms. Except for what is provided by Mirt or found within Candlekeep.
Markustay Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 18:15:41
I was specifically talking about HUMAN settlements. Halflings and gnomes would probably prefer 'snug', and dwarves would probably have ceiling-heights around 6'6" or so (because some dwarves do get to be 5'). Also note that 7' Wulfgar had NO PROBLEM getting around Mithral Hall. You'd think a race that is constantly under siege from above and below by 'bigger folk' would learn to make tunnels that only fit them.

Dwarves - The worlds most logical race... with intermittent bouts of epic-level stupid.
Ayrik Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 18:01:36
The throne room is always tall enough for foreign people of all kinds! It has to be!

A cathedral-like vault conveys majesty (that is, lots of wealth and power and armed guards) and it lets the high folks physically assert their status above the low folks. Important to all races, I think. Indeed, humans are well-known for immature dominance displays, dwarves are all about venerating stuffy sacred traditions, elves can have haughty arrogance beyond human understanding, halflings like to party and fit in, and gnomes will call enough attention to themselves that they don't stand out in a world of attention-seekers.

There is merit to the short races using 3'-4' tall corridors and portals in their homes. For the same reason the medium races wouldn't build their hallways and doorways big enough for giant or ogre to easily chase them. Perhaps a halfling home would have some common or guest rooms spacious enough for tall folk in a community where tall folk were common. But a village with many halflings and no humans (beyond passing travelers) probably wouldn't bother, or the halflings would always visit/entertain/party (and bring their own food and drink) to the homes of their human friends.
sleyvas Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 13:01:36
quote:

Because of the type of (kitchen-sink) fantasy setting FR is, 'pure blood' anything is almost ridiculous, especially given that even among species that normally can't interbreed, both can usually interbreed with something else (like most goblinoids, or humans for that matter). Then add-in 35K+ years and stir.

Thus, humans ranging from 3' all the way on up to 9' could be 'normal', in such a setting. Mind you, that dwarven half-breeds are always considered 'fully dwarven' (they favor the dwarven parent - Moradin makes strong genes LOL), buuuuut... they will still be abnormally tall, or abnormally short in the cases where they mix with gnomes and halflings.

As a person who spent most of his life in construction, I've actually given quite a bit of thought to architecture in FR (and D&D/fantasy settings in general). Although 8' high ceilings are the 'norm' in America, I doubt they would be in The Realms. I've been in houses that were 200+ years old, and the commoner's ceilings were more like 7' back then, if that. But in a fantasy setting where height ranges are quite different, I would imagine anything outside of a rural community would have 10' ceilings on average, not just for large humans, but also for a variety of non-humans who tend to be quite large (dragonborn, tielfings because of their horns, even well-mannered gnolls, minotaurs, and bugbears, etc). In cities, most major structures would probably have at least 12' ceilings, meaning the outward appearance of structures would also be quite a bit larger. Even a a simple two-story structure would be the size of a RW three-story building.

Part of the problem I run into with maps is that designers seem to have a total lack of the concept of 'scale'. I wish I could say its all older material (and in FR, it mostly is), but I am currently going over some PF/Golarion maps and I keep running into their 'mountain problem', which I thought was only grossly apparent in the Darkmoon Vale stuff, but I just came across several ranges of mountains that fit inside a one mile spot on a map. A mountain 'range' that fit inside a mile.
I've sometimes made comments about how good the crack must be in Renton, but apparently the crack is equally good over in Redmond. you can fit ONE decent sized mountain in a one-mile area. Thats it... and that's not even all that big (on average around 2600' or so). Buildings are just as bad, especially on older maps. Eric Boyd and I ran into this problem in the Daggerford maps, which we had to increase the scale. There were 'buildings' just 10' square. Even a halfling would find that a bit 'snug'.

Cartographers SHOULD correct these kinds of problems, but in fantasy mapping they DON'T, because they are NOT cartographers - they are artists. They make pretty maps. Thats it. Now couple this problem ('tiny footprints' for buildings) with the above problem of ceiling height, and its no longer even ludicrous.. its way beyond that. So you have a structure that's 10-15' square (about the size of an average bedroom these days), but its over 30' tall? They must have some truly amazing building materials in fantasy - the engineer in me has a vein throbbing in my head at this. Wood has span limits. As you increase the span, you have to increase the thickness. Now, if those walls have to be 1' thick to hold everything up, how much crazier is a 10' wide house? (because now you have only 8' of interior room).

And THIS is why I HATE doing city and town maps. They shouldn't look anything like our RW city maps. Major IP's should not only have the position of 'traffic cop', they need someone called 'reality check guy' (and 'guy' now-a-days also means females - like when you walk into a room and say, "Hi guys!" to your friends. I am NOT being misogynistic here. And the fact that I feel I have to explain that annoys the heck out of me).

I think I may becoming a bit too 'crotchity' for this planet. Anyone know a good one I can move to?

Actually, I'd go the exact opposite and state that many races have varying heights, especially the shorter ones having heights that match their own statures. It makes for a really good defense mechanism. Now, if it were a place which commonly host bigger folk, they'd probably have certain places that allow for taller folk to travel through (for instance, the throne room might be taller etc...). The one race I'd say this doesn't qualify for is dwarves, because they're specifically noted as oversizing things. But those high ceilings in dwarven fortresses may prove to be a trap (maybe the hallways to either side can drop their ceilings, thereby trapping bigger folk in certain rooms, while letting the dwarves in/out, etc..).
Varl Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 05:07:05
quote:
I think I may becoming a bit too 'crotchity' for this planet. Anyone know a good one I can move to?

Not crotchity, just wanting some consistency. Proxima Centauri b is the closest possible goldilocks exoplanet. It's only 14 ly away, but it's also bombarded by 400% more X-rays by Proxima than Earth is, so I'd stay here if I were you.

As for the 15' orc, wouldn't that make him a Giant? It sounds more like a deific manifestation of Gruumsh than an orcish anomaly. I seriously doubt even orc females could carry such a monster to term and survive long enough to give birth. I don't normally speculate about such matters, but this seemed excessive for even my fantasy plauso-meter.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 04:28:07
quote:

Buildings are just as bad, especially on older maps. Eric Boyd and I ran into this problem in the Daggerford maps, which we had to increase the scale. There were 'buildings' just 10' square. Even a halfling would find that a bit 'snug'.

I noticed something similar with the FRCG when it came out... The waste of page count "adventure" that starts off the book, set in Loudwater. Looking at the map, there's 50ish buildings in this town... of 2000 people. That's roughly 40 people per building.
Sunderstone Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 02:10:39
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

One of the "interesting people" inhabiting one of the cities in the 2E FRA supplement is about 8' tall, described as a hale and hearty red-headed red-bearded barbarian lumberjack type with the last name "Stormkin". I recall that (as the name implies) he's thought to have some storm giant blood and is thought by all the locals to be the tallest human in the Realms.

I think you have him muddled with someone else. Duke Haldyn Stormkin is a leader of the city of Calaunt, but FRA does no more than give his height and strength. And he's taller, a whopping 9 feet (2.7 meters) tall. The name "Stormkin" does suggest giant blood, storm or otherwise.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Haldyn_Stormkin

From Ed:

While there's much local (Calauntan) gossip about the Duke having giant blood in his heritage, and it may very well be true, no one alive knows. His mother and father both stood more than six feet tall, and he had a seven-foot-something uncle (all three are dead now), so it's definitely family genetics. However, the Duke has two (infant) sons, and thus far they're of normal stature.
BadCatMan Posted - 18 Feb 2018 : 01:44:45
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

One of the "interesting people" inhabiting one of the cities in the 2E FRA supplement is about 8' tall, described as a hale and hearty red-headed red-bearded barbarian lumberjack type with the last name "Stormkin". I recall that (as the name implies) he's thought to have some storm giant blood and is thought by all the locals to be the tallest human in the Realms.

I think you have him muddled with someone else. Duke Haldyn Stormkin is a leader of the city of Calaunt, but FRA does no more than give his height and strength. And he's taller, a whopping 9 feet (2.7 meters) tall. The name "Stormkin" does suggest giant blood, storm or otherwise.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Haldyn_Stormkin

quote:

Markustay Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 19:57:08
Because of the type of (kitchen-sink) fantasy setting FR is, 'pure blood' anything is almost ridiculous, especially given that even among species that normally can't interbreed, both can usually interbreed with something else (like most goblinoids, or humans for that matter). Then add-in 35K+ years and stir.

Thus, humans ranging from 3' all the way on up to 9' could be 'normal', in such a setting. Mind you, that dwarven half-breeds are always considered 'fully dwarven' (they favor the dwarven parent - Moradin makes strong genes LOL), buuuuut... they will still be abnormally tall, or abnormally short in the cases where they mix with gnomes and halflings.

As a person who spent most of his life in construction, I've actually given quite a bit of thought to architecture in FR (and D&D/fantasy settings in general). Although 8' high ceilings are the 'norm' in America, I doubt they would be in The Realms. I've been in houses that were 200+ years old, and the commoner's ceilings were more like 7' back then, if that. But in a fantasy setting where height ranges are quite different, I would imagine anything outside of a rural community would have 10' ceilings on average, not just for large humans, but also for a variety of non-humans who tend to be quite large (dragonborn, tielfings because of their horns, even well-mannered gnolls, minotaurs, and bugbears, etc). In cities, most major structures would probably have at least 12' ceilings, meaning the outward appearance of structures would also be quite a bit larger. Even a a simple two-story structure would be the size of a RW three-story building.

Part of the problem I run into with maps is that designers seem to have a total lack of the concept of 'scale'. I wish I could say its all older material (and in FR, it mostly is), but I am currently going over some PF/Golarion maps and I keep running into their 'mountain problem', which I thought was only grossly apparent in the Darkmoon Vale stuff, but I just came across several ranges of mountains that fit inside a one mile spot on a map. A mountain 'range' that fit inside a mile.
I've sometimes made comments about how good the crack must be in Renton, but apparently the crack is equally good over in Redmond. you can fit ONE decent sized mountain in a one-mile area. Thats it... and that's not even all that big (on average around 2600' or so). Buildings are just as bad, especially on older maps. Eric Boyd and I ran into this problem in the Daggerford maps, which we had to increase the scale. There were 'buildings' just 10' square. Even a halfling would find that a bit 'snug'.

Cartographers SHOULD correct these kinds of problems, but in fantasy mapping they DON'T, because they are NOT cartographers - they are artists. They make pretty maps. Thats it. Now couple this problem ('tiny footprints' for buildings) with the above problem of ceiling height, and its no longer even ludicrous.. its way beyond that. So you have a structure that's 10-15' square (about the size of an average bedroom these days), but its over 30' tall? They must have some truly amazing building materials in fantasy - the engineer in me has a vein throbbing in my head at this. Wood has span limits. As you increase the span, you have to increase the thickness. Now, if those walls have to be 1' thick to hold everything up, how much crazier is a 10' wide house? (because now you have only 8' of interior room).

And THIS is why I HATE doing city and town maps. They shouldn't look anything like our RW city maps. Major IP's should not only have the position of 'traffic cop', they need someone called 'reality check guy' (and 'guy' now-a-days also means females - like when you walk into a room and say, "Hi guys!" to your friends. I am NOT being misogynistic here. And the fact that I feel I have to explain that annoys the heck out of me).

Dalor Darden Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 19:31:10
My son is going to be playing an 8' tall Paladin of the Triad. We are starting the Ruins of Adventure in Phlan.
Sunderstone Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 17:16:27
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

The royal line of Hartsvale has some giantish blood, but are considered fully human. Nevertheless, they were said to be extremely tall-- Queen Brianna (2E era) was 7 feet tall. I don't recall if they mentioned how tall the men were, but I'm guessing well into the 7s if not around 8 would not be unheard of. Wulfgar (of Drizzt fame) was also 7 feet or just shy of it and weighed 350 lb.

Madeiron Sunderstone, Piergeiron's Champion is a distant cousin to Briana and traces his lineage back to the giant demigod Hartkiller as well. He is 8' tall and equally imposing physique.
TomCosta Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 16:06:48
The royal line of Hartsvale has some giantish blood, but are considered fully human. Nevertheless, they were said to be extremely tall-- Queen Brianna (2E era) was 7 feet tall. I don't recall if they mentioned how tall the men were, but I'm guessing well into the 7s if not around 8 would not be unheard of. Wulfgar (of Drizzt fame) was also 7 feet or just shy of it and weighed 350 lb.
Ayrik Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 15:44:33
I'd call a 15' tall orc a "torc", lol.

There's an 11' tall sahuagin, very big and old and tough and mean, the "mutant" 4-armed variety of course (armed with 4 longswords of speed by our magnificently antagonistic DM, lol).

And there's a 9' tall cyclops, "small" among his kind but able to pass himself off as a Gruumsh to some local orc tribe.

Chultans are described as often being exceptionally tall, with an "average" Chultan standing at least a full head taller than the tallest Chondathans or Calishites.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 15:24:40
Anybody want a peanut?
sleyvas Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 14:56:00
There was Fezzik. He was 7'4" and weighed in at 520 pounds. He was known for having a havoc cloak available when needed. At one time, he did impersonate the Famed Dread Pirate Roberts. He was a very famous henchman.
Markustay Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 05:00:01
There was a very large woman who was the owner of an Inn, IIRC correctly, somewhere around the Dales or Moonsea, who was like 7' tall (and 'Big' all over, but maybe not 'rotund'... trying to think of the proper {pc} term... 'thick')? She was know for just picking up trouble makers and tossing them out like sacks of flour. And although her entry made a point of describing how large she was, it didn't NOT point out that anyone found it at all unusual. As others have said above - in a world with true giants, a 7' or even 8' tall person is really not all that special.

I think Wulfgar was 7' tall, and he ran into a barbarian chieftan that he had to fight that was taller than he was. I forget if that was the Sky Ponies, or the Reghedmen.

Plus with magic, you can literally have any size human you want. Plenty of ways to make it permanent, and it might even 'breed true' (I only recently learned there are a 'race' of blue people in Kentucky... NO JOKE).
Ayrik Posted - 17 Feb 2018 : 04:47:58

It's kinda hard to qualify "tallness" in a world populated by giants and half-giants and such. 2E FOR7 Giantcraft technically allows "giants" to be merely 5'-6' tall Size M ... superficially very similar to humans, though proportioned a bit differently and apparently having different anatomy. There's always somebody or something that's taller ... so the question really becomes what's the threshold for being "human"?

Magical armor in the 1E/2E DMG can be sized "for a very large human" up to 6'6" 250lbs. Which is more than the "maximums" a character could roll on the height and weight tables.

I think hobgoblins (about 6'6"-7' tall and 250-300lbs) are the largest humanoids still considered "Size M". Ogres and Hill Giants are clearly Size L. Some 2E tieflings can be extremely tall.

All sorts of "humans" might be permanently mutated by magic or psionics or alchemy or even curses.
Not to mention temporary size increases from enlarge, heroism, Tenser's transformation, potions, etc.

Permanent growth (say 1" taller per use) is a fairly "common" side effect of many artifacts.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000